ADVERTISEMENT

Traffic Stop of Black Army Officer

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
I'm curious if this Virginia traffic stop is one where we can all agree the cops' behavior was disgusting and absolutely unacceptable.

Reactions: DaShuckster
To me, the beginning of this incident is an example of the kind of inappropriate police behavior that needs to be addressed. Fortunately, THIS ONE didn't lead to a shooting and/or death, but the police behavior on display explains why we end up seeing the tragic outcomes we've seen in other places.

Should have been an obliterated cop. Then they could spend an hour trying to get you out.

If we're to believe the 'roid rage' cop, his actions (gun drawn, shouting, pepper spray, etc.) were all justified because once the cop turned on his lights, the driver continued to drive at normal speed another mile down the road so he could park in a well-lit gas station instead of the dark roadside.

Given the cop's outrageous behavior that followed the stop, I think that military officer made a VERY WISE decision.

Thought guy must have had a warrant for murder or been going 120 in a 50. Turns out he had a paper license plate displayed in the window instead of the license plate holder.

You know the officer ****ed up when at the end he gives the guy the choice to drive away and never bring it up again. Or get charges. I think he got fired for telling the guy he was gonna “ride the lightning”

Thought guy must have had a warrant for murder or been going 120 in a 50. Turns out he had a paper license plate displayed in the window instead of the license plate holder.
Somehow the 'over-the-top' police behavior seems to get ignored whenever the buzz words "He RESISTED arrest!!!" come into play. This is another case of cellphone footage completely changing the public's perception of the stop.

Imagine if this had been at the side of the road and there was no video footage. The officer is pepper-sprayed and his career trashed for 'resisting arrest.'

One can only wonder how many innocent Black lives were ruined in the past in this very fashion before the age of cellphone videos.

Somehow the 'over-the-top' police behavior seems to get ignored whenever the buzz words "He RESISTED arrest!!!" come into play. This is another case of cellphone footage completely changing the public's perception of the stop.

Imagine if this had been at the side of the road and there was no video footage. The officer is pepper-sprayed and his career trashed for resisting arrest.

One can only wonder how many innocent Black lives were ruined in the past in this very fashion before the age of cellphone videos.
The video was a body cam. But yes it’s troubling to think how situations like this would end if there were no body cams.

The video was a body cam. But yes it’s troubling to think how situations like this would end if there were no body cams.
There was evidently another video from the gas station too because I saw one showing both cops with their guns drawn and pointed at the driver.

The fact that this is newsworthy should be evidence that this kind of thing isn't nearly as common as we are led to believe.

The fact that this is newsworthy should be evidence that this kind of thing isn't nearly as common as we are led to believe.
Two thoughts:
1) I would sure hope its uncommon; and
2) What makes it newsworthy is the dramatic cellphone video footage. TV news loves that kind of drama.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, God Only Knows how often this kind of crap happened before the days of cellphone cameras.

Two thoughts:
1) I would sure hope its uncommon; and
2) What makes it newsworthy is the dramatic cellphone video footage. TV news loves that kind of drama.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, God Only Knows how often this kind of crap happened before the days of cellphone cameras.
Probably more often than they do now. Either way, I think it's safe to say that on that front, things are probably moving in the right direction. What I don't understand is the immediate response to these kinds of things is to go and loot a store that had nothing to do with it. Like with the deal yesterday in Minneapolis. The details of that aren't totally known yet, but within a couple of hours there were hundreds of people destroying dozens of businesses and assaulting people. I just can't understand what that is the immediate, visceral response.

Reactions: fabknight
The details of that aren't totally known yet, but within a couple of hours there were hundreds of people destroying dozens of businesses and assaulting people. I just can't understand what that is the immediate, visceral response.
Why? It's called ANGER.

From what I read most of the violence was directed at some police cars in the area but however the mob's anger was vented, it sure as hell wasn't good.

But -- yet again -- an unarmed Black man was killed with the excuse that the officer made 'a boo-boo' and whipped out her gun instead of her taser.

How does a trained professional do that? It's like a surgeon saying, "oops, I used the wrong scalpel."

Why? It's called ANGER.

From what I read most of the violence was directed at some police cars in the area but however the mob's anger was vented, it sure as hell wasn't good.

But -- yet again -- an unarmed Black man was killed with the excuse that the officer made 'a boo-boo' and whipped out her gun instead of her taser.

How does a trained professional do that? It's like a surgeon saying, "oops, I used the wrong scalpel."
It brings into question her training for sure. Not knowing if you're holding a taser or a gun is inexcusable.

Nope.

Okie dokie. I just lost the farm. ;) :)
Lol. Yeah, she was pretty distraught. I don't think anybody could deny that she actually did think she was holding a taser. Doesn't make it any better, but this isn't a deal where they are making up excuses.

the way they gave him contradictory directions (hands where I can see them, but get out of the car lmao) was ridiculous but this all could've been avoided pretty easily had he complied from the start. don't feel that bad, i've received similar treatment when acting like a jackass.

all could've been avoided pretty easily had he complied from the start.
Hmmmm.......why would a Black man want to pull over for the cops in a lighted, public setting like a gas station? Such a mystery!

In the White Privileged World of _glaciers, this whole thing could have been avoided if this army guy had just complied from the start.

bingo.

This dude knew he was on camera and still acted like a jackass. Anyone who argues against police body cams is an absolute moron.
Yeah, but who argues against body cams? I’ve literally never heard anyone argue against them, other than for cost reasons but even that was a long time ago when they were brand new and more expensive. They’re universally viewed as cost saving now because they make it incredibly easy to investigate allegations of misconduct.

Police overwhelmingly support body cams because they’ve found that everyone acts a little better when they know they’re being recorded.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Why? It's called ANGER.

Can you criticize someone for attempting to flee from police at all?

Obviously there are a lot of facts to still come out, so this is something of a hypothetical...

IF someone with outstanding warrants is running to get back into their vehicle and escape detainment (as is alleged), what is the proper response for a police officer? Trust that they’ll just get in the car and drive away? Is that an acceptable outcome?

In the White Privileged World of _glaciers, this whole thing could have been avoided if this army guy had just complied from the start.
Dear Pedophile, its your pal Glaciers, once again reporting from the world of reality.

Cops were three times less likely to shoot unarmed blacks than unarmed whites. The cops also took about two-tenths of a second longer to decide to shoot armed blacks than armed whites, a delay that researchers regarded as significant.

you hate black people so much that you live in a state that is practically devoid of them, you silly bitch.

the way they gave him contradictory directions (hands where I can see them, but get out of the car lmao) was ridiculous but this all could've been avoided pretty easily had he complied from the start. don't feel that bad, i've received similar treatment when acting like a jackass.
After you got similar treatment, did the cop try to buddy buddy with you and then give you an option of driving away and making it all go away?

Obviously there are a lot of facts to still come out, so this is something of a hypothetical...

IF someone with outstanding warrants is running to get back into their vehicle and escape detainment (as is alleged), what is the proper response for a police officer? Trust that they’ll just get in the car and drive away? Is that an acceptable outcome?
Sure if he was fleeing. Did he attempt to outrun and actually flee the cops? Sounded like he just pulled into the next gas station rather than pull off the side of a dark road.

OF COURSE, it's incredibly stupid and dangerous to attempt to flee from police. But should that mean you are killed for it?

Back OT, I find it interesting that this Army officer did EVERYTHING every Black father lectures his Black son to do during a traffic stop:
  • Park your vehicle in a well-lit, public area;
  • Be respectful to the officer (the guy called that amped-up officer 'Sir' throughout the stop; and
  • At all costs, KEEP BOTH YOUR HANDS VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES. One of the reasons the guy got in trouble with the cops at the gas station was because he didn't take off his seatbelt and immediately exit his vehicle. Why? Because both of those actions would have meant he was momentarily hiding his hands from the officer.
Yet despite supposedly doing 'everything right,' this guy was 'resisting arrest' according to the cops who made the stop. Not only did they ESCALATE the situation at the scene, they even reported it as a possible FELONY because he didn't stop his vehicle immediately when that it something a lot of drivers, Black or White, do all the time.

OF COURSE, it's incredibly stupid and dangerous to attempt to flee from police. But should that mean you are killed for it?

Back OT, I find it interesting that this Army officer did EVERYTHING every Black father lectures his Black son to do during a traffic stop:
  • Park your vehicle in a well-lit, public area;
  • Be respectful to the officer (the guy called that amped-up officer 'Sir' throughout the stop; and
  • At all costs, KEEP BOTH YOUR HANDS VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES. One of the reasons the guy got in trouble with the cops at the gas station was because he didn't take off his seatbelt and immediately exit his vehicle. Why? Because both of those actions would have meant he was momentarily hiding his hands from the officer.
Yet despite supposedly doing 'everything right,' this guy was 'resisting arrest' according to the cops who made the stop. Not only did they ESCALATE the situation at the scene, they even reported it as a possible FELONY because he didn't stop his vehicle immediately when that it something a lot of drivers, Black or White, do all the time.
Agree completely, with the exception of one thing. Yes, there are circumstances where a person fleeing the police does deserve the use of deadly force.

Should have been an obliterated cop. Then they could spend an hour trying to get you out.

Major hats off to that officer. I get that legally he probably had the right to tase him and drag him out that car at his first refusal. I have no idea what policy says this officer should be doing in this situation, but I see a highly patient LEO doing everything he can to de-escalate and minimize the situation. I realize this happens all the time everyday and doesn't make news, but this is IMO what we should all want to see.

Agree completely, with the exception of one thing. Yes, there are circumstances where a person fleeing the police does deserve the use of deadly force.
I would agree with that. A high-speed car chase where the person trying to escape the police is jeopardizing the safety of others on the road is one example I would cite.

The problem as I see it -- particularly seen the the case of the Virginia Army officer -- is that police are often way too quick to threaten violence when dealing with minorities when their training should tell them their job is to deescalate situations they're presented with.

But in fairness to the police, everybody and his Uncle have guns with them so every damn stop has the potential to be life-threatening.

Why don't you comply with masks? or vaccines?

I would agree with that. A high-speed car chase where the person trying to escape the police is jeopardizing the safety of others on the road is one example I would cite.

The problem as I see it -- particularly seen the the case of the Virginia Army officer -- is that police are often way too quick to threaten violence when dealing with minorities when their training should tell them their job is to deescalate situations they're presented with.

But in fairness to the police, everybody and his Uncle have guns with them so every damn stop has the potential to be life-threatening.

I just wish that people could learn to recognize the difference instead of grouping every one of these situations together. This guy in Virginia is a good example of a police officer going way too far. Same with philandro Castille. Those are completely different than the circumstances around a situation like George floyd or the guy in Brooklyn center yesterday. There are times that people should have righteous indignation, but sometimes the story doesn't quite get up to that standard.

If we're to believe the 'roid rage' cop, his actions (gun drawn, shouting, pepper spray, etc.) were all justified because once the cop turned on his lights, the driver continued to drive at normal speed another mile down the road so he could park in a well-lit gas station instead of the dark roadside.

Given the cop's outrageous behavior that followed the stop, I think that military officer made a VERY WISE decision.
...and after the law suit, he'll have a nice chunk of change hopefully.

Stop question authority and comply!
i don't currently have the problem that black people do of repeatedly putting myself in positions where i'm at odds with people in authority. i used to, led to a lot of unhappiness and feeling like the world was against me when the reality was i lacked the conviction to take accountability for being a dumbass.

I just wish that people could learn to recognize the difference instead of grouping every one of these situations together. This guy in Virginia is a good example of a police officer going way too far. Same with philandro Castille. Those are completely different than the circumstances around a situation like George floyd or the guy in Brooklyn center yesterday. There are times that people should have righteous indignation, but sometimes the story doesn't quite get up to that standard.
Cop shoots Black man is all some people need to hear before they’ve decided what happened, on both sides of the issue, and that’s always wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT