ADVERTISEMENT

Traffic Stop of Black Army Officer

i don't currently have the problem that black people do of repeatedly putting myself in positions where i'm at odds with people in authority. i used to, led to a lot of unhappiness and feeling like the world was against me when the reality was i lacked the conviction to take accountability for being a dumbass.
You were able to change your skin pigment? Amazing.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Cop shoots Black man is all some people need to hear before they’ve decided what happened, on both sides of the issue, and that’s always wrong.
I'm sorry that we get upset when cops murder unarmed people.

You were able to change your skin pigment? Amazing.
they too use the "pretending to be too stupid to understand" defense. not healthy for you, bud.

you should change your life; start reading, start working out, drink a gallon of water each day. it's pretty rewarding

i don't currently have the problem that black people do of repeatedly putting myself in positions where i'm at odds with people in authority.
Sooooooooo....what exactly did our Army officer do to put himself 'at odds with people in authority'?

Was it because he didn't pull over immediately? You think the treatment he got would have been different in the dark on the open road? The notion that this army officer was 'creating a situation' by waiting to pull over until he reached the gas station is absurd.

Was it because he didn't jump out of the vehicle immediately when the guns-drawn officers demanded him to? They also demanded he put his hands in the air. How was he supposed to do both? The guy was smart enough to know that simply reaching down to take off his seatbelt could have been excuse enough to have been shot to death.

Funny how the 'do as your told and nothing bad happens' line we usually get from our resident Bad Cop Excusers falls flat in this case.

Guns drawn for traffic violation - check
“Hands where I can see them but at the same time exit the vehicle” - check
Pepper sprayed while putting his hands out the window as initially instructed - check
Cop pulls the buddy buddy thing because it’s on body cam and tries to make the whole thing disappear - check
Cop fired - check

I agree with a lot of instances of complying. However when cops have guns drawn on you and instruct you to keep hands where they can see them, that is a clear indication that they will shoot you if your hands aren’t where they can see them. Seeing as the guy was buckled up, if the officer wanted him out he should have unbuckled him rather than pepper spraying him. The last thing I’m doing if a cop has a gun trained on me is reaching for something that the cop cannot see.

Guns drawn for traffic violation - check
“Hands where I can see them but at the same time exit the vehicle” - check
Pepper sprayed while putting his hands out the window as initially instructed - check
Cop pulls the buddy buddy thing because it’s on body cam and tries to make the whole thing disappear - check
Cop fired - check

I agree with a lot of instances of complying. However when cops have guns drawn on you and instruct you to keep hands where they can see them, that is a clear indication that they will shoot you if your hands aren’t where they can see them. Seeing as the guy was buckled up, if the officer wanted him out he should have unbuckled him rather than pepper spraying him. The last thing I’m doing if a cop has a gun trained on me is reaching for something that the cop cannot see.
From what is being reported, the Windsor officers screwed this one up mightily and deserve what they get. Someone driving at a normal speed and not making evasive maneuvers is not fleeing and these officers should have known it. They weren’t rookies. Unfortunately, everything after that stems from that first bad decision.

They didn’t see the need to execute a felony stop but that might’ve been better for all concerned. Since they didn’t and they were already evaluating a higher risk level, there is a point where the parties put themselves into a no-win situation on all sides. When the Army officer says that he’s afraid to unbuckle his seatbelt and asks the police to do it, that is a weird and potentially dangerous situation. The officer is not going to reach over and into the car thus putting himself and his weapons within easy reach of the driver. But the right actions would’ve been de-escalation and conversation rather than escalation to less lethals to force compliance. But again, they read as fleeing and so, while you can understand their actions in that context, their actions were absolutely wrong.

Im assuming all of the body cam footage has been released on this and supports the narrative.

Sooooooooo....what exactly did our Army officer do to put himself 'at odds with people in authority'?

Was it because he didn't pull over immediately? You think the treatment he got would have been different in the dark on the open road? The notion that this army officer was 'creating a situation' by waiting to pull over until he reached the gas station is absurd.

Was it because he didn't jump out of the vehicle immediately when the guns-drawn officers demanded him to? They also demanded he put his hands in the air. How was he supposed to do both? The guy was smart enough to know that simply reaching down to take off his seatbelt could have been excuse enough to have been shot to death.

Funny how the 'do as your told and nothing bad happens' line we usually get from our resident Bad Cop Excusers falls flat in this case.
asking a myriad of stupid questions that your pedophile brain thinks is some sorta "gotcha" doesn't give you a point.

• Haha
Reactions: Ucfmikes
When the Army officer says that he’s afraid to unbuckle his seatbelt and asks the police to do it, that is a weird and potentially dangerous situation.
The police officer was amped-up, out of his squad car, shouting at the top of his lungs, with his gun pointed—for a damn traffic stop — but THE ARMY OFFICER created a potentially dangerous situation by refusing to remove his exposed hands to unbuckle his seatbelt? Are you being serious?

After the death of an unarmed man, how many times have we heard the line, “I thought he was reaching for a gun!”?

From what is being reported, the Windsor officers screwed this one up mightily and deserve what they get. Someone driving at a normal speed and not making evasive maneuvers is not fleeing and these officers should have known it. They weren’t rookies. Unfortunately, everything after that stems from that first bad decision.

They didn’t see the need to execute a felony stop but that might’ve been better for all concerned. Since they didn’t and they were already evaluating a higher risk level, there is a point where the parties put themselves into a no-win situation on all sides. When the Army officer says that he’s afraid to unbuckle his seatbelt and asks the police to do it, that is a weird and potentially dangerous situation. The officer is not going to reach over and into the car thus putting himself and his weapons within easy reach of the driver. But the right actions would’ve been de-escalation and conversation rather than escalation to less lethals to force compliance. But again, they read as fleeing and so, while you can understand their actions in that context, their actions were absolutely wrong.

Im assuming all of the body cam footage has been released on this and supports the narrative.
It’s available I think from PoliceActivity on YouTube.

The police officer was amped-up, out of his squad car, shouting at the top of his lungs, with his gun pointed—for a damn traffic stop — but THE ARMY OFFICER created a potentially dangerous situation by refusing to remove his exposed hands to unbuckle his seatbelt? Are you being serious?

After the death of an unarmed man, how many times have we heard the line, “I thought he was reaching for a gun!”?
The world may be ending because I agree with Shook here.

There really should never be a situation where the person being stopped by police needs to deescalate a situation. Sure there’s lots of times where they’ll need to actively participate in deescalation, but they shouldn’t ever need to be the cooler head.

Emotional wellness is probably the thing I would want officers to display. Their ability to keep their emotions in check is critical.

The world may be ending because I agree with Shook here.

There really should never be a situation where the person being stopped by police needs to deescalate a situation. Sure there’s lots of times where they’ll need to actively participate in deescalation, but they shouldn’t ever need to be the cooler head.

Emotional wellness is probably the thing I would want officers to display. Their ability to keep their emotions in check is critical.
Agreed. That army guy was truly stuck in a conundrum. I don't know what I would have done given the situation.

Important to note also that the Army guy hadn’t done anything that would be obvious to him as to why someone is yelling at him with him at gunpoint. For a temporary tag not properly displayed. If he was committing some obvious crime immediately prior I think his reaction is likely way different. Seems like he was caught off guard by the situation and aggressive action by the cops and took the scenario that minimized the risk of him getting shot. Even if it caused him getting pepper sprayed.

i don't currently have the problem that black people do of repeatedly putting myself in positions where i'm at odds with people in authority. i used to, led to a lot of unhappiness and feeling like the world was against me when the reality was i lacked the conviction to take accountability for being a dumbass.
Joe Biden is the highest authority. Why won't you comply?

• Love
Reactions: DaShuckster
The Lt with his hands up: "Im scare to get out of the car"

Cop pointing gun at Lt.: "You should be"

Would you guys get out of the car after a cop tells u that?

I've got to hand it to that cop, he was a genuine, living, breathing, walking, talking, caricature of the Old South County Sheriff: "Youse in a heap o' trouble, Boy!"

Who knows the unimaginable number of people this piece of shit cop harassed before cell phones and body cams, wanting them to "respect mah authori-tay".

55hxk6.jpg

Reactions: firm_bizzle

These types of comments should be used extensively in police training as what not to do. Responding with “You should be!” when someone tells you they’re afraid of what you’re going to do is only going to escalate a situation. It’s the exact opposite of deescalation, and they need to train cops to recognize that sort of behavior for the counterproductive nonsense it is - in themselves and in their partners.

These types of comments should be used extensively in police training as what not to do. Responding with “You should be!” when someone tells you they’re afraid of what you’re going to do is only going to escalate a situation. It’s the exact opposite of deescalation, and they need to train cops to recognize that sort of behavior for the counterproductive nonsense it is - in themselves and in their partners.
If that footage had been presented as a "what NOT to do" police training video, most trainees watching it would have likely rolled their eyes and thought to themselves, Geez, talk about going over-the-top to make a point!

If that footage had been presented as a "what NOT to do" police training video, most trainees watching it would have likely rolled their eyes and thought to themselves, Geez, talk about going over-the-top to make a point!
I’d really like to see police training be audited by behavioral psychologists.

I don’t know much about police training, but I imagine it’s mostly conducted and designed by other police. That’s understandable, but it seems like there’s an emphasis on empathy being missed.

I don’t want these men and women to not protect themselves, because there are people who really do want to hurt them. But there has to be a way to protect yourself and still keep the goal of deescalating every situation in mind.

Nope. It's bullshit and those officers need to be run out of the business.

I expect citizens to remain calm at all times and obey so that the trained officer won't panic and kill them. It's very simple.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I expect citizens to remain calm at all times and obey so that the trained officer won't panic and kill them. It's very simple.
Hopefully they won’t do what happened in San Antonio. Also, there’s a difference between being angry and fighting your way out of cuffs and back into your vehicle.

Thank God, this army officer remained calm. It's an embarrassment to all good cops that this emotionally-out-of-control cop didn't.
Hopefully they won’t do what happened in San Antonio.
Huh?? What am I missing here? How in the hell is the San Antonio shooting in any way, shape, or form like this incident??!?

Just watched the video. The cops are assholes. They suck. Fire them and replace them with someone better who needs a job as well. Just like every other profession, there are workers who aren’t any good. Racial profiling? Probably. Not all cops are that way, but these ones are pieces of shit. Next....

Important to note also that the Army guy hadn’t done anything that would be obvious to him as to why someone is yelling at him with him at gunpoint. For a temporary tag not properly displayed. If he was committing some obvious crime immediately prior I think his reaction is likely way different. Seems like he was caught off guard by the situation and aggressive action by the cops and took the scenario that minimized the risk of him getting shot. Even if it caused him getting pepper sprayed.

It's the most frightening situation in the world. I've been pulled over and outright lied about and yelled at by an aggressive cop at night in an empty parking lot. Though there wasn't a gun drawn I was completely dumbfounded and in total shock and there was not a goddamn thing I could do other than pray, take it and say everything possible he wanted me to say in the most respectful way possible to hopefully get him to let me go (which he did). Was an incredibly stressful situation. This coming from a guy who has never even had a speeding ticket in his entire life! I was able to get my senses about me but it's not easy man. It's amazing the standard we hold regular people who are not used to being put in that type of situation.

It's the most frightening situation in the world. I've been pulled over and outright lied about and yelled at by an aggressive cop at night in an empty parking lot. Though there wasn't a gun drawn I was completely dumbfounded and in total shock and there was not a goddamn thing I could do other than pray, take it and say everything possible he wanted me to say in the most respectful way possible to hopefully get him to let me go (which he did). Was an incredibly stressful situation. This coming from a guy who has never even had a speeding ticket in his entire life! I was able to get my senses about me but it's not easy man. It's amazing the standard we hold regular people who are not used to being put in that type of situation.
Did you file a complaint with the department afterwards? I’ve personally seen officers fired over complaints about scenarios like yours. I know there’s a long history in a lot of departments about complaints going nowhere but I’ve also seen the opposite in some.

Did you file a complaint with the department afterwards? I’ve personally seen officers fired over complaints about scenarios like yours. I know there’s a long history in a lot of departments about complaints going nowhere but I’ve also seen the opposite in some.
FYI, the officer who killed the 13 year old kid in Chicago had three previous complaints filed against him that went nowhere.

FYI, the officer who killed the 13 year old kid in Chicago had three previous complaints filed against him that went nowhere.
That doesn’t change anything in this particular case. What were the complaints?

Let me guess. People saw him in Africa hunting Pygmies for sport 🙄

The news report didn't go into details. My point was simply that 'filing a complaint' is hardly a cure-all for addressing the issue of bad cops.

The news report didn't go into details. My point was simply that 'filing a complaint' is hardly a cure-all for addressing the issue of bad cops.
I looked it up, some Karen filed a complaint because he yelled at her at Dunkin Donuts for not having a Boston Creme with sprinkles

He may be a bad cop. I don’t know anything about him.

That doesn’t change what that video shows, which is that he was chasing someone who had a gun and had to make a microsecond life or death decision on whether or not he still had the gun when he turned around very quickly.

He might be a total asshole and the worst cop in Chicago, but that wasn’t a shooting I’ll criticize a cop for.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
If the cop that shot Ashli Babbitt had a history of beating his wife, how should that factor into the case?

If the cop that shot Ashli Babbitt had a history of beating his wife, how should that factor into the case?
A footnote given she, in the middle of an insurrection, was actively rushing through a barrier where elected officials were sheltering. After having an infinite amount of chances to leave the facility she had no lawful reason to be in.

As for the cop in general, if that is the case, certainly something that should be looked at in general. Ideally, anyone that was proven to be violent and/or convicted of a crime shouldn’t be anywhere near a badge.

Babbitt was certainly no angel and definitely got what was coming to her. So sad she went down the Trump conspiracy rabbit hole.

Nope. Looking back no real reason why I didn't and honestly not even sure why it didn't cross my mind. I was pretty damn young and that probably had something to do with it but you're right, that would have been a wise thing to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT