ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal QBs DicussionThread

LoboCane

Bronze Knight
Aug 27, 2021
Both UCF and Miami need a transfer QB…let’s discuss the portal QBs once they are in. Let’s also speculate who might be entering the portal once it opens in a couple of weeks.

Gus QBs get better when they leave, not when they come in. He’s the Good Luck Chuck of college QBs.

A QB would need multiple years of eligibility to play for Gus. He would need to play under him for at least a year and then transfer out and be successful somewhere else.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
FCS guys trying to make a jump to P5 usually don’t work out too well. Some top G5 QB looking for exposure and/or money, a starter for a lower tier P5 program or a high profile P5 backup QB…names will start to drop soon.

Michael Pratt from Tulane is the top guy all around. Good leader, good accuracy, and a Florida guy. Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if he also gets offers from bigger places.

TJ Finley from Texas St. former Auburn QB. 6’7 and a big dude.

Jordan McCloud, JMU, former Arizona and USF player. From Tampa and has gotten national attention for JMU.

Grayson McCall, CCU, very very reliable QB. Started 4 years and has thrown for 68% or more in each of those

Cameron Ward, QB WSU. From Texas ,maybe he misses the warmer weather

Robby Ashford, Auburn backup QB who transferred in from Oregon. From Alabama.

Reactions: U C to the F
Michael Pratt from Tulane is the top guy all around. Good leader, good accuracy, and a Florida guy. Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if he also gets offers from bigger places.

TJ Finley from Texas St. former Auburn QB. 6’7 and a big dude.

Jordan McCloud, JMU, former Arizona and USF player. From Tampa and has gotten national attention for JMU.

Grayson McCall, CCU, very very reliable QB. Started 4 years and has thrown for 68% or more in each of those

Cameron Ward, QB WSU. From Texas ,maybe he misses the warmer weather

Robby Ashford, Auburn backup QB who transferred in from Oregon. From Alabama.
Michael Pratt wanted to transfer to UF when he went into the portal last year but Billy didn’t want him apparently. That’s a fireable offense if I ever saw one. After this year Pratt is the biggest 1 and done prize out there though (so far), of course if he goes into the portal and depending on who else decides. I REALLY like Michael Pratt, but Gus has to really not trust that Timmy McClain can’t be the guy for this type of move, and I personally think bringing in a 1 and done guy isn’t the answer over Timmy.

-TJ Finley is a bump…
-Jordan McCloud is an even bigger bump
-Grayson McCall should have went to draft last year. This year I haven’t even heard his name once.
- Cameron Ward isn’t transferring a 2nd time, especially after having pretty good success at WSU (he visited UCF if I recall, but chose otherwise).
- Robby Ashford? No thank you. Timmy McClain is way better and way more prepared in Gus’ offense. 2nd transfer will have to sit anyways

I watched that nationally televised HS game with EJ Colson playing against a nationally ranked HS and he completely balled out. That’s our future, Trujillo and Rizk…Timmy McClain…we have solid talent there, the portal is only an answer if you can get a guy with 2+ years eligibility and is a perfect fit (ie. a former starter or high recruit), otherwise our recruited talent isn’t bad here.

Reactions: PhDee
No QB commit for this year must mean Gus has his silent transfer QB already. Can’t see him going into next year without a transfer qb.

Reactions: Robert0122
No QB commit for this year must mean Gus has his silent transfer QB already. Can’t see him going into next year without a transfer qb.
a commit this year wouldn’t start anyway. He needs a transfer no matter what if there isn’t a starter already on roster.

Will Rodgers have put up huge numbers in his career but he is seen as a system (air raid) QB. I don’t see him as a good fit for Miami and even less for UCF with Gus Malzahn.

Reactions: U C to the F
Both UCF and Miami need a transfer QB…let’s discuss the portal QBs once they are in. Let’s also speculate who might be entering the portal once it opens in a couple of weeks.
Not going to be a lot of quarterbacks entering the portal who fit Gus's system.
Supposedly we are targeting some FCS guy.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
a commit this year wouldn’t start anyway. He needs a transfer no matter what if there isn’t a starter already on roster.
Why not? Dillon Gabriel started as a true freshman. I agree that he still needs a transfer qb. My point is that he must have a silent transfer commit he sees as a potential starter. No way he hasn’t addressed the qb position by now.

Why not? Dillon Gabriel started as a true freshman. I agree that he still needs a transfer qb. My point is that he must have a silent transfer commit he sees as a potential starter. No way he hasn’t addressed the qb position by now.
We have a Freshman on team right now that’s not playing. Why would getting one now change anything? We either have starter on roster or we have to go to portal no matter what.

Max Brown from uf is the perfect Gus qb. Kid is extremely talented.heck even plays baseball too. Napier just can’t develop a qb to save his life. Think he’d be perfect for this offense. H8m or Malachi Singleton.

Yes to Malachi, hard no on Max Brown, he’s booty.

Why do we need a portal qb btw? Struggling to understand why y’all think Timmy McClain can’t be the guy. He’s got the talent, size, athleticism, arm…just needs some refinement and experience. I’d ride with him and his 2-3 years of eligibility with EJ Colston in the wings.

Why do we need a portal qb btw? Struggling to understand why y’all think Timmy McClain can’t be the guy. He’s got the talent, size, athleticism, arm…just needs some refinement and experience. I’d ride with him and his 2-3 years of eligibility with EJ Colston in the wings.
Unless we get a big name transfer QB who was a starter at a P5 school (unlikely), I agree, Timmy will be the starter. He has shown he’s got probably the best arm talent that we’ve had here since DG, and above average athleticism (but nowhere near JRP or Tommy C). The big question will be, can he make improvements in his pocket presence and poise under pressure.

Reactions: Robert0122

Timmy shouldn’t have a locker here. Nice kid but a horrific QB. Iron Mike throwing motion and can’t make a read. Backyard football doesn’t work at this level like it would at USF. Talk to anyone who attended practices this year…

Hope Gus has a QB in his back pocket or things could get ugly next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT