ADVERTISEMENT

***Transfer Portal Update - Is UCF on KJ Jefferson Watch?***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
As I posted a week ago, UCF continues to pursue Arkansas QB KJ Jefferson.

He is believed to be UCF's top target. Who else is in the mix? Miami and TCU were also initially reported. Miami is still waiting on a decision from Cam Ward. I've heard Cal is very interested too.

Prior to Christmas, I heard KJ was slated to officially visit in early January (likely next Wednesday, Jan. 3, which I believe is the first allowable day for transfer visits).

But now today - Wednesday, Dec. 27 - KJ is indeed in Orlando per his IG story. He posted a photo from MCO with the caption that he intends to visit with his former Arkansas teammate, RB Raheim "Rocket" Sanders who is from Rockledge (Sanders recently hit the portal and has committed to South Carolina).

While in-person visits with coaching staffs are not allowed until Jan. 3, nothing is stopping him from swinging by campus and having a look around if he so desires. It's not any different than COVID year recruiting and the perpetual Dead Period - players could "visit" on their own dime and walk around the school even while on the phone with coaches.

Is KJ attempting to accelerate his decision timeline with an advance visit to UCF?

For the most part, UCF's retention of the current roster is nearly complete with RJ Harvey and Javon Baker announcing their intent to return. Kobe Hudson is also believed to be in that category, but he has yet to announce.

While NIL remains a primary consideration for most players, UCF would appear to be the best fit for KJ in terms of offense and proven returning talent.

==

I know all the "buzz" is centering around KJ, especially with On3's Pete Nakos' public linkage of UCF, but don't sleep on Louisiana Lafayette QB Zeon Chriss. I've heard UCF really, really likes him and the feeling is mutual. I wouldn't discount this possibility.

I posted more about him last week.

==

UCF DE Josh Celiscar hit the portal after Christmas. This was always expected. Remember in early December when I posted about two defensive starters leaving? Corey Thornton didn't waste any time in hitting the portal, but the other one I was referring to was Celiscar.

I think UCF was ready to move on. While he certainly logged a lot of reps over the last two years especially (he played almost every snap in 2022), I think UCF wants to get more speed at that position.

Celiscar has already reported offers from North Texas, Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, UConn and Minnesota.

==

The biggest remaining position of need is obviously linebacker. UCF has one commitment from Nikhai Hill-Green (Michigan/Charlotte) but clearly needs more experienced players at the position.

Cincinnati's Deshawn Pace has been a target.

UCF also recently offered New Mexico State Keyshaun Elliott, though he quickly committed to Arizona State. Another recent offer was Idaho's Xe'ree Alexander, though it may be tough to pull him away from the Northwest (Washington has offered and he's a UW legacy).

Other LBs to watch: Bangally Kamara (Pittsburgh), Deuce Caldwell (UNC), Cashius Howell (Bowling Green), Ozzie Nicholas (Princeton).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News