ADVERTISEMENT

Tre’Mon Morris-Brash gone???

tjb74

Silver Knight
Jan 19, 2014
Made a post on his IG saying #33 out 🫶🏾.

Don’t see anyone talking about it though🤷🏻‍♂️

players like drop only have eligibility in the first place because of the covid year. same for matt lee, etc. if they developed as hoped they would be getting ready for the nfl.

At this point, I couldn't care less which of these kids is coming and going. Supposed NCAA portal rule changes can't come fast enough...

I think, like any other industry, that these kids should sign contracts with school. If a kid really wants a 1 year deal and wants to re-enter the portal, fine. But if kids sign 3-4 year deals, they should be held to that (unless they enter the NFL) and have the same buyout options as coaches and any other normal worker.

I'm cool with NIL, cool with the portal, but shit this thing is out of control

It's pro sports with no salary caps. The real difference is the big time donor schools. It's basically having one owner that says "My payroll can be 300 million" vs another saying "Our payroll is 5 million". It really is the wild west. It's just the beginning we haven't made it to the part where the donor doesn't pay or the player didn't meet expectations.

I think, like any other industry, that these kids should sign contracts with school. If a kid really wants a 1 year deal and wants to re-enter the portal, fine. But if kids sign 3-4 year deals, they should be held to that (unless they enter the NFL) and have the same buyout options as coaches and any other normal worker.

They don’t sign 4 year deals. Each year they have to sign a 1 year contract. Technically a coach or player can choose to not sign it. Usually coaches do unless a player is a troublemaker. The kids can transfer if they want.

Won’t be long before the Government walks in with their hand out…….
As they tax other income don’t be surprised if they start taxing this income that the players are taking in. I think it’s going to be a shock to the players, although it shouldn’t be. Players should be very careful when they do their financial analysis.

As they tax other income don’t be surprised if they start taxing this income that the players are taking in. I think it’s going to be a shock to the players, although it shouldn’t be. Players should be very careful when they do their financial analysis.
They are getting taxed. They will be filing 1099 every year. Hope they save some money.

This is going to be a nightmare to some of these guys. I would much rather to avoid the complexities of the future have them take out the taxes from the drawn income in the beginning. This is asking for problems

I like this approach. If you ignire the contract tou forfeit a year of eligibility

This is going to be a nightmare to some of these guys. I would much rather to avoid the complexities of the future have them take out the taxes from the drawn income in the beginning. This is asking for problems
That would be a W-2. NIL isn’t a W-2 tax situation. It’s up to the athlete to self tax on 1099. Probably should pay quarterly so it’s not one huge lump sum. They are going to have to hire agents and accountants to keep up. There goes 10% of money after the 20%+ they have to pay in taxes.

any real update?

know this board has lost it’s mind over players posting song lyrics before [laughing]
Especially with Drop. He was doing the same after the incident, when, two years ago? He can be a bit vague/coded on social media.

He would suck to lose though. Love his motor.

They don’t sign 4 year deals. Each year they have to sign a 1 year contract. Technically a coach or player can choose to not sign it. Usually coaches do unless a player is a troublemaker. The kids can transfer if they want.

That's how it is now, but I'm saying if schools are worried about guys leaving in a year, there should be a process (no different than any sports organization) to offer players 3-4 year deals.

That would be a W-2. NIL isn’t a W-2 tax situation. It’s up to the athlete to self tax on 1099. Probably should pay quarterly so it’s not one huge lump sum. They are going to have to hire agents and accountants to keep up. There goes 10% of money after the 20%+ they have to pay in taxes.
I agree, most 18yrs can't budget or balance a checking account let alone worry about paying taxes...they'll have to hire agents who will charge more than a measly 10%. This situation will continue to get ugly until guidelines are established.

I agree, most 18yrs can't budget or balance a checking account let alone worry about paying taxes...they'll have to hire agents who will charge more than a measly 10%. This situation will continue to get ugly until guidelines are established.
Agents usually get 3-5 %. Probably 5 for these kids because they aren’t getting 10 mil a year like Pro athletes. But then a CPA for taxes will be expensive for them.

Can the schools provide financial advising / services as a benefit?
I don’t know the rules in that but They probably could. Or a CPA could provide his services for some free advertising. They can provide tutors for school and other benefits so I don’t see a problem with financial help/advice provided.

The average agent commission for NIL is
15-20 percent. Although some states cap commissions South Carolina law caps it at 10% for SC deals

Last edited:
15-20 percent. Although some states cap commissions South Carolina law caps it at 10% for SC deals
Pro Leagues cap income at 4% but I looked up endorsements and it’s 10-20%. If they get a guy that charges 20 they won’t get much after taxes.

The call is out to UCF contributors to extend their donations to include the Kingdom NIL and Mission Control. It's officially being encourage by the AD. This will help expand those programs which focus on a competitive NIL offering. So, we're definitely headed down the slippery slope where players get paid with donor money even while we still need to help fund the other expenses around our ever-expanding athletic programs. Is this a realistic solution? We'll see since much depends on the amount of additional contribution $$ this brings to UCF NIL but the eventual solution, if NIL isn't brought under control, may be to cut some programs that don't contribute to the coffers and cut wasteful spending around every program. And eventually the coaches and support staff may have to take a pay cut (or reduction in numbers) because after all, with NIL, it's not about the X's and O's it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. And the expensive X's and O's will have to pay the price. Previously, all of this was unnecessary, but CFB let NIL get out of control and everyone (and that means all other programs and all donors) will have to adjust. Welcome to the new world of CFB.

The call is out to UCF contributors to extend their donations to include the Kingdom NIL and Mission Control. It's officially being encourage by the AD. This will help expand those programs which focus on a competitive NIL offering. So, we're definitely headed down the slippery slope where players get paid with donor money even while we still need to help fund the other expenses around our ever-expanding athletic programs. Is this a realistic solution? We'll see since much depends on the amount of additional contribution $$ this brings to UCF NIL but the eventual solution, if NIL isn't brought under control, may be to cut some programs that don't contribute to the coffers and cut wasteful spending around every program. And eventually the coaches and support staff may have to take a pay cut (or reduction in numbers) because after all, with NIL, it's not about the X's and O's it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. And the expensive X's and O's will have to pay the price. Previously, all of this was unnecessary, but CFB let NIL get out of control and everyone (and that means all other programs and all donors) will have to adjust. Welcome to the new world of CFB.
Then SMU should be a top 10 team in 2-3 seasons they have the $

Then SMU should be a top 10 team in 2-3 seasons they have the $
They may have the $$ but they also have to be willing to spend them to compete. Do you see that happening at SMU? Believe it or not, some Universities will just say no.

No. SMU has to outbid by a lot. If they come at same price as Bama, they will choose Bama.
That's correct...SMU has to be willing to spend to compete. Are they? Not so far. Some will spend and some won't. At some point everyone will have to take a stand and decide how important are a few Jimmy's and Joe's?

They may have the $$ but they also have to be willing to spend them to compete. Do you see that happening at SMU? Believe it or not, some Universities will just say no.

That's correct...SMU has to be willing to spend to compete. Are they? Not so far. Some will spend and some won't. At some point everyone will have to take a stand and decide how important are a few Jimmy's and Joe's?
About three months ago, I believe SMU announced that every football signee will receive at least $50,000 guaranteed.

So yeah, they're willing to spend.

About three months ago, I believe SMU announced that every football signee will receive at least $50,000 guaranteed.

That’s not a lot. Over 4 to 5 years $10 K per year after taxes isn’t even $1000 a month. That should be 2 star money.

So that's an approach that should keep them very competitive at their level but what about getting the top players? Didn't their QB1 just leave? Probably something he wouldn't do if he's getting paid. The point is spreading some money equally around is a fair approach, but will it reel in (or even retain) the best?

This may hurt stadium renovations and other facilities if fans start donating only towards towards NIL . could see Olympic Sports being hurt the most

Reactions: connerito
This may hurt stadium renovations and other facilities if fans start donating only towards towards NIL . could see Olympic Sports being hurt the most
A lot of coaches and ADs are stressing this. Kids will be using 30 year old lockers shabby facilities in a few years and no plans to upgrade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT