ADVERTISEMENT

Tre'mon Morris-brash is back on the team

He posted bail and put in a not guilty plea. I’m assuming he paid for a real lawyer. So he has money for an Uber. Hope he uses it next time. No one got hurt so that’s the biggest plus while learning a lesson.

He posted bail and put in a not guilty plea. I’m assuming he paid for a real lawyer. So he has money for an Uber. Hope he uses it next time. No one got hurt so that’s the biggest plus while learning a lesson.
Interesting its a not guilty plea. Curious where it goes from here.

Not sure how I feel about this ... unless he literally wasn't drinking, and the test was flawed. That's the only reason GOL/Frost/Huepel wouldn't have kicked the kid off, because it really didn't matter what the law said, it was about what happened and any irresponsibility. I'm all about 2nd chances, but I just don't want us to change what we've always done in the past. I'm sure another program would take him.

Not sure how I feel about this ... unless he literally wasn't drinking, and the test was flawed. That's the only reason GOL/Frost/Huepel wouldn't have kicked the kid off, because it really didn't matter what the law said, it was about what happened and any irresponsibility. I'm all about 2nd chances, but I just don't want us to change what we've always done in the past. I'm sure another program would take him.
Tons of people have or still do drink and drink. Let’s not be hypocrites here, he made a mistake a large majority of the population has done themselves. I had a DUI when I was 20 myself, although Uber wasn’t a thing back then. He’s a college kid who should learn from this mistake, this isn’t a serious offense and deserves a 2nd chance.

People make mistakes…. I’m sure everyone on here has done something they regret. This I’m sure was a terrible misjudgment on his part to drive intoxicated (allegedly). Kicking him off the team isn’t necessarily the best thing for the school or the student athlete. The court will hand down appropriate punishment if he is guilty.

Interesting its a not guilty plea. Curious where it goes from here.
It’s probably so he can be reinstated to team faster and his lawyer will try to plead down to not go to trial. The video will be dissected to see if the police made any errors. If he asks for a lawyer no video beyond that point can be used against him. Some lawyers have been able to say the breathalyzer gives inaccurate readings and should be thrown out.

Tons of people have or still do drink and drink. Let’s not be hypocrites here, he made a mistake a large majority of the population has done themselves. I had a DUI when I was 20 myself, although Uber wasn’t a thing back then. He’s a college kid who should learn from this mistake, this isn’t a serious offense and deserves a 2nd chance.
I would argue DUI is not serious enough. It's not considered serious because so many people do it, but doesn't mean its not incredibly harmful. We will see how this plays out, but last years arrest and discipline for several teammates didn't seem to alter his decision on how to conduct himself late at night.

People make mistakes…. I’m sure everyone on here has done something they regret. This I’m sure was a terrible misjudgment on his part to drive intoxicated (allegedly). Kicking him off the team isn’t necessarily the best thing for the school or the student athlete. The court will hand down appropriate punishment if he is guilty.
I'm just pointing out that in years past ... a student-athlete would be removed for such a mistake ... at UCF. It's one thing that made UCF different. Many student-athletes still left us for better careers too. We didn't screw their future at all, we just said they couldn't be part of our team.

Reactions: UCF_Kaz
I would argue DUI is not serious enough. It's not considered serious because so many people do it, but doesn't mean its not incredibly harmful. We will see how this plays out, but last years arrest and discipline for several teammates didn't seem to alter his decision on how to conduct himself late at night.
You’re right it is serious, poorly written. What I meant was that no one got hurt (I’m assuming) and it’s something nearly everyone has done before, whether they were caught or not. I think we can all relate and give the guy a break. He’ll learn a lesson hopefully and like me never do it again under any circumstance, which he’ll be all the better for it.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'm just pointing out that in years past ... a student-athlete would be removed for such a mistake ... at UCF. It's one thing that made UCF different. Many student-athletes still left us for better careers too. We didn't screw their future at all, we just said they couldn't be part of our team.
JJ fought police and he didn’t get kicked off. I think a coach or somebody had a DUI. Don’t remember what happened to that person.

You’re right it is serious, poorly written. What I meant was that no one got hurt (I’m assuming) and it’s something nearly everyone has done before, whether they were caught or not. I think we can all relate and give the guy a break. He’ll learn a lesson hopefully and like me never do it again under any circumstance, which he’ll be all the better for it.
I can only point out what we've always done to make sure UCF doesn't tolerate such. It causes student-athletes to 'think twice' before they do things at UCF, that they might do at other places ... let alone the sheer violence we see at Tallahassee, Gainesville, Miami and even Tampa programs.

It’s probably so he can be reinstated to team faster and his lawyer will try to plead down to not go to trial. The video will be dissected to see if the police made any errors. If he asks for a lawyer no video beyond that point can be used against him. Some lawyers have been able to say the breathalyzer gives inaccurate readings and should be thrown out.
Which begs the question, what lesson is to be learned from this? Just doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

If I was another player, I assume I will get the same free pass.

Which begs the question, what lesson is to be learned from this? Just doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

I wasn’t a football player but I still learned a lesson from it. You don’t have to be kicked off the team to learn a lesson, that’s a weird thought process. There’s opportunity here to learn and better a kid. It’s just my opinion, you don’t have to agree.

The lesson is you were suspended for at least 2 weeks from football, had to spend night in jail and are embarrassed for a few months around people. He’s still going through all of the law stuff. Once he pleads he will have quite a list of things he has to do and will probably get 6 months suspended license and 6 months probation. Between this and school he won’t have any free time.

How many people tailgate at the games and wind up driving home? As long as he was respectful to the police, he should have the opportunity to return to the team according to the HC's timing provided he is doing his part to move forward and learn from his mistake.

I haven’t looked into the specifics of this player’s case so I won’t comment on the strength or weakness of the case, but as a matter of law, the right to counsel does not apply during a DUI investigation (pre-arrest) because the agreement you make to get a DL is that you consent to all tests of sobriety. So a person can ask for a lawyer all they want but that does not end the DUI investigation. Nor does that mean the recorded investigation cannot be played during a trial. And an officer can testify as to a person’s faculties during the entirety of their interaction regardless of whether the suspect asked for a lawyer.

I haven’t looked into the specifics of this player’s case so I won’t comment on the strength or weakness of the case, but as a matter of law, the right to counsel does not apply during a DUI investigation (pre-arrest) because the agreement you make to get a DL is that you consent to all tests of sobriety. So a person can ask for a lawyer all they want but that does not end the DUI investigation. Nor does that mean the recorded investigation cannot be played during a trial. And an officer can testify as to a person’s faculties during the entirety of their interaction regardless of whether the suspect asked for a lawyer.
Yes you agree to be tested or you lose license for a year. Your rights as a US citizen don’t stop because a LEO suspects you of DUI. As soon as you ask for Council, any questions after that will not be admissible. Yes the arresting officer can say I think he was under influence but without proof it’s a he said she said. I think he did the testing so it’s a moot point. He will more than likely get it reduced to wreckless driving after completion of probation.

Reactions: U C to the F
Yes you agree to be tested or you lose license for a year. Your rights as a US citizen don’t stop because a LEO suspects you of DUI. As soon as you ask for Council, any questions after that will not be admissible. Yes the arresting officer can say I think he was under influence but without proof it’s a he said she said. I think he did the testing so it’s a moot point. He will more than likely get it reduced to wreckless driving after completion of probation.

I think I agree with most of what you’re saying but just one small caveat: if you ask for a lawyer before you are placed under arrest on suspicion of DUI then the officer does not have to cease his investigation/interrogation. Miranda applies during custodial interrogation, but before one is arrested, they are not in custody for purposes of Miranda.

And it’s not he said-he said. It’s the officers testimony with all evidence he gathered during the investigation vs. whatever the defendant claims. Evidence includes driving pattern, physical signs of impairment including odor of alcohol, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, admissions to drinking, etc.

I just don’t want people thinking that if they are pulled over they can say “I want a lawyer” and that ends the matter. You didn’t say that but to a lay person that could be what it sounded like.

Depending on the facts, if no crash and no injuries and he was cooperative and didn’t blow over .15 then a good chance in Orlando, if that’s where it occurred, it will be reduced.

I think I agree with most of what you’re saying but just one small caveat: if you ask for a lawyer before you are placed under arrest on suspicion of DUI then the officer does not have to cease his investigation/interrogation. Miranda applies during custodial interrogation, but before one is arrested, they are not in custody for purposes of Miranda.

And it’s not he said-he said. It’s the officers testimony with all evidence he gathered during the investigation vs. whatever the defendant claims. Evidence includes driving pattern, physical signs of impairment including odor of alcohol, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, admissions to drinking, etc.

I just don’t want people thinking that if they are pulled over they can say “I want a lawyer” and that ends the matter. You didn’t say that but to a lay person that could be what it sounded like.

Depending on the facts, if no crash and no injuries and he was cooperative and didn’t blow over .15 then a good chance in Orlando, if that’s where it occurred, it will be reduced.
I never said it would be over. You’d still be charged and spend 8 hours in jail. Less evidence is all I’m saying.

Yep, this is legally true, and backed by the SCOTUS in recent rulings.

And I hate that ruling. The fact that if you ask for a lawyer before you're charged means you're not protected by Miranda and your civil rights is sickening.

Okay, this is where I have a problem.

What about those of us who have never drank in our life, and have very limitedly ever been on a drug that causes drowsiness? I've been pulled over before, and I got in a very 'heated' argument with an officer that I've never drank in my life. It was in New Jersey.

I was nice as I could be to that officer, until he wouldn't drop his insistence that I was under some sort of influence. I was lost, that was all. I pulled off on the side of the road to pull up Google Maps on my phone instead of continuing to drive while I pulled up my phone.

Utterly pissed me the f- off because I did the right thing! It was dark, and I couldn't see the shoulder, so I took me 2 prior attempts to 'find' a 'good shoulder' to pull over, just so I could pull up maps. He clearly didn't want to give me a test, because he clearly couldn't smell anything on my breath, but still wanted to give me a ticket for driving under the influence.

I had a Pennsylvania cop then try to arrest me for reckless driving. I had a 4x4 automatic that went into a high gear ratio on an incline from a standstill, and he took that as me 'flooring it' in a construction zone. So he hopped into his car, drove 80mph to catch up to me, and said I was doing 80mph ... because he was.

I just let him rant and rant and didn't say a word. Finally, he yelled at me to answer him, and I just told him I never exceeded 30mph (it was a limit of 25mph ... it was a damn airport terminal), and I couldn't help it if he just flew 80mph through it, and I'd tell the judge the same thing.

I mean, some of these guys are real dicks with power, especially when they would see my Florida plate. And I'm white! I totally understand where BLM comes from, even if it's only 1-2% of cops.

I just don’t want people thinking that if they are pulled over they can say “I want a lawyer” and that ends the matter. You didn’t say that but to a lay person that could be what it sounded like. Depending on the facts, if no crash and no injuries and he was cooperative and didn’t blow over .15 then a good chance in Orlando, if that’s where it occurred, it will be reduced.
Some of us try to be cooperative. The problem is when the officers don't like your answers or, worse yet, think you're lying.

Try being a guy that not only hasn't drank in his entire life, but refuses any pain or other medication, and avoids anything that breaks the blood-brain barrier in general.

The more 'goodie-goodie' of a 'true conservative' you are in how you live your life -- and I'm dead-center, absolute Republican Ideal Conservative (while being a Libertarian, politically) -- the more it seems to piss people off. I don't throw it in people's faces, but for some reason, they don't believe me and, when they feel like an @$$hat because I'm beyond reproach after they didn't believe me, they hate me for it.

I have worked in so many environments, especially DC, NYC and elsewhere, which are a cespoll of irresponsible people, who hated me because they thought I was a judgemental conservative just because of how I lived and acted. Sigh ... it's not about what you say or do, it's how they feel about themselves.

I find enough police officers are like that when they are presented with a person beyond belief for them. Yes, I was pulling over so I could use Google Maps on my phone, but was having trouble finding a good shoulder to do so in the darkness and no lights around.

Last edited:
I never said it would be over. You’d still be charged and spend 8 hours in jail. Less evidence is all I’m saying.
And how's that work out for someone like me?

It's funny ... I'm the prime example of a person -- from my lack of consumption to life to marriage -- that any Republican would love to hold up as a 'posterboy conservative,' and yet I'm a die-hard, hard-core Libertarian in my politics because ...

Even I get f'd over in 1-2 pull overs/year, so I know typical, young African-Americans get massively f'd over in comparison if I get it too!

DUIs, let alone Seat Belts, were never designed to be used like this ... and don't get me started on red light cameras where they roll back the yellow light times and increase accidents, just to pay for the units with increased citations. Although those are slowing being addressed ... although DHS loves giving 'grants' to keep them in place.

The US is becoming a chronic waste pit of 'big brother' non-sense out of arguments of 'public safety,' all at the great expense of our civil liberties. The proof is in how much they cover up in how laws aren't working, and actually doing the opposite.

Last edited:

But what you are saying is if you do get pulled over don’t say anything at all and don’t perform any of tests the cop wants you to perform.

But what you are saying is if you do get pulled over don’t say anything at all and don’t perform any of tests the cop wants you to perform.
I'm definitely not saying that. You consent to perform all tests of sobriety in exchange for obtaining a DL; it's a deal that you make with the DMV and I would never recommend someone violate a legally binding agreement they have made. Plus, not cooperating results in a DL suspension and could result in a criminal charge for refusing to perform the field sobriety tasks if you have a prior refusal.

But most people who are DUI are not thinking clearly enough to not answer the officer's questions and attempt the sobriety tasks. So even if a sober person thinks it's better to not cooperate, a drunk person doesn't think about it the same way.

It's funny ... I'm the prime example of a person -- from my lack of consumption to life to marriage -- that any Republican would love to hold up as a 'posterboy conservative,' and yet I'm a die-hard, hard-core Libertarian in my politics because ...

Even I get f'd over in 1-2 pull overs/year, so I know typical, young African-Americans get massively f'd over in comparison if I get it too!

DUIs, let alone Seat Belts, were never designed to be used like this ... and don't get me started on red light cameras where they roll back the yellow light times and increase accidents, just to pay for the units with increased citations. Although those are slowing being addressed ... although DHS loves giving 'grants' to keep them in place.

The US is becoming a chronic waste pit of 'big brother' non-sense out of arguments of 'public safety,' all at the great expense of our civil liberties. The proof is in how much they cover up in how laws aren't working, and actually doing the opposite.
I don’t know what someone like you is like.

Sounds like my son. I'm the conservative and he's the libertarian that lives like a conservative. He got upset with his last breakup with girlfriend and wound up getting drunk with friends after seeing us earlier in the evening and telling us he was okay. He leaves the party and hits a small sign turning the corner on his way home. He has to change the tire and the man :) drives up. He did the whole refuse to take the test thing. Initially, if I remember correctly he didn't lose his driving rights because they couldn't charge him with charges related to testing over the limit but fines and everything else wound up being the same. He was very cordial to the Police Officer because they got to do their job and are there for good reason. An athlete on a team arrested on campus is pretty much going to be suspended whether they take the test or not. Bottom line like I told my son is call UBER or walk home.

Sounds like my son. I'm the conservative and he's the libertarian that lives like a conservative. He got upset with his last breakup with girlfriend and wound up getting drunk with friends after seeing us earlier in the evening and telling us he was okay. He leaves the party and hits a small sign turning the corner on his way home. He has to change the tire and the man :) drives up. He did the whole refuse to take the test thing. Initially, if I remember correctly he didn't lose his driving rights because they couldn't charge him with charges related to testing over the limit but fines and everything else wound up being the same. He was very cordial to the Police Officer because they got to do their job and are there for good reason. An athlete on a team arrested on campus is pretty much going to be suspended whether they take the test or not. Bottom line like I told my son is call UBER or walk home.
I'm not sure I'd say that's the same as being a conservative in life, but I'm probably just splitting hairs.

I'm starting to think I'm one of the few, but also non-religious people, who refuse to hit the bottle or anything else when I'm at my lowest.

I just literally don't like to drink or do a thing like that, instead of deal with things. I know it scares people that I never do, and always seem to 'be in control,' especially other guys.

Although I do seem to attract women who had alcoholic parents, at least when I was younger. But most of the time, it really seems to bother people, that I never 'lose control,' and especially that I never drink.

Although he’s back with the team, it’s unclear if Morris-Brash will play at Louisville. He appeared in all 10 games last season, finishing second on the team with 3.5 sacks.

“We’ll see what that means,” Malzahn said. “He’s got some things he’s got to take care of but he is back with the team. We’ll see where that goes.”

When you sign your driver’s license you “imply” that you will consent to a lawful test of your breath or urine by a law enforcement officer. Implied consent is predicated upon a lawful arrest. Refusal to submit to said test will result in a one year suspension of your drivers license, a second refusal will result in a criminal misdemeanor of the first degree charge and a drivers license suspension of 18 months. Of course “implied consent” only relates to a test of your breath or urine (in rare cases blood), you can always refuse to participate in standard field sobriety exercises.

Orange County has a first time offender program. Dui charge is amended to reckless driving alcohol related codified at F.S.316.192(5), adjudication withhold, 6 months probation, no early termination, 50 hours community service, $100 fine, $400 donation to children’s advocacy center, DUI level 1 class, Victim Awareness program or YouImpact (online course), 6 month drivers license suspension, 10 day vehicle immobilization, no consumption or possession of alcohol or illegal drugs, and random urine tests to determine the presence of alcohol or drugs.

Yeah, you could say that he will learn a valuable lesson and my opinion is that if he successfully completes all of the above without violating his probation he will have demonstrated that he has “learned” his lesson and I don’t believe he should be kicked off the team.

Last edited:
When you sign your driver’s license you “imply” that you will consent to a lawful test of your breath or urine by a law enforcement officer. Implied consent is predicated upon a lawful arrest. Refusal to submit to said test will result in a one year suspension of your drivers license, a second refusal will result in a criminal misdemeanor of the first degree charge and a drivers license suspension of 18 months. Of course “implied consent” only relates to a test of your breath or urine (in rare cases blood), you can always refuse to participate in standard field sobriety exercises.

Orange County has a first time offender program. Dui charge is amended to reckless driving alcohol related codified at F.S.316.192(5), adjudication withhold, 6 months probation, no early termination, 50 hours community service, $100 fine, $400 donation to children’s advocacy center, DUI level 1 class, Victim Awareness program or YouImpact (online course), 6 month drivers license suspension, 10 day vehicle immobilization, no consumption or possession of alcohol or illegal drugs, and random urine tests to determine the presence of alcohol or drugs.

Yeah, you could say that he will learn a valuable lesson and my opinion is that if he successfully completes all of the above without violating his probation he will have demonstrated that he has “learned” his lesson and I don’t believe he should be kicked off the team.
Yes I know most of that and agree. Not sure if you meant to reply to someone else.

Note if u accept charges...It means a Plea bargain has taken place..Also 2 games missed is proper for this case....if it was his second charge then 6 games would be appropriate and 3rd charge a year suspension. This kid made a mistake...He knows it and will pay for it...Usually a DUI costs about 12,500..with costs to Attorneys and Probation and getting license back. Don't hate this kid any one of us could be him...May he learn from this mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT