ADVERTISEMENT

Trump and congress pass terrible spending bill

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/22/white-house-congress-budget-deal-1425192

i absolutely hate this. this is really one of the biggest issues this country faces. we are spending way too much money. i wish trump actually took a stand against this crap.

unfortunately no politicians actually want to do something about this. it will eventually this will come to head and i dont look forward to that day.

This is so disappointing. The one thing I thought Trump would be good at is the budget, but he's just another chapter in the same book.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Oops, you've gone off script, Wayne. This concern doesn't become a thing again until January 2021.
“Democratic leaders were quick to take a victory lap on the funding increases, stating that Democrats have "secured an increase of more than $100 billion in funding for domestic priorities since President Trump took office."

You voted for this. Don’t act like you’re against it.

This is so disappointing. The one thing I thought Trump would be good at is the budget, but he's just another chapter in the same book.
What are they going to do? Veto it? Not let it go through Senate? Nothing will get out of the house without a big increase in domestic spending. If you veto it, you set back your party for 2020.

Oops, you've gone off script, Wayne. This concern doesn't become a thing again until January 2021.
i have gone across the aisle more than you have and yet you are trying to criticize me? lol ok old man.
i have to agree, i thought he was going to do something. then again he was known to be a democrat for a long time before becoming a republican. i guess we shouldve seen this coming.

my hope is that if he wins 2020, he will do something about it in his second term. i somehow doubt it though.

What are they going to do? Veto it? Not let it go through Senate? Nothing will get out of the house without a big increase in domestic spending. If you veto it, you set back your party for 2020.
What's the point of the party if they're just going to do the same thing as the other guys?

Basically the Democrats have now 'returned the favor' the Republicans did with Obama in 2015 -- the cap rise thru the 2016 election, now for 2020.

The Christian satire site The Babylon Bee was all over it too (good show!) ...
And the Anti-W Tea Party movement in the Republican party is growing again as an Anti-Trump base. We'll see where this leaves Rand Paul, who has traditionally used Trump for his own purposes, and supported him on various things to get what he wanted.

Trump's six bankruptcies were probably just a fluke.
And how many businesses has he owned?

This is like watching my European friends argue about the energy consumption and emissions of the US, only to drop to per-capita and realize they have no standing. I don't argue that Trump is a good businessman, far from it. But he's also not atypical either, businesses fail regularly for a variety of reasons.

Even very successful businesses, everyday household names, have had subsidiaries or even Chapter 11 periods. But people who haven't run their own businesses, which are 98% of Americans, mouth off to the contrary.

I simply stated a fact. Sorry if facts put you on the defensive. Filing bankruptcy is most certainly NOT typical. I balance my budget every month and never filed bankruptcy. Just sayin'.

I simply stated a fact. Sorry if facts put you on the defensive. Filing bankruptcy is most certainly NOT typical. I balance my budget every month and never filed bankruptcy. Just sayin'.
You run a business? Or are you talking personal finance? Huge, massive difference.

If anything, your statement right there showcases you don't know the first thing about what I'm taking about.

There's a reason individual loans are much, much easier to get than business loans. In fact, most small business loans are tied to individual liability, including mine. It's only after years of revenue, and usually with collateral, that businesses are extended credit, and at a much greater risk and rate than personal loans for that reason.

^^^ Again, you're just proving why 98% of Americans don't understand business. This is why so many Americans push for laws on businesses that actually just end up hurting small businesses who are A) domestic and not overseas and B) not lawyered up

One of the reasons Paul Rand has been very friendly with Trump is because Trump has pushed a lot of pro-small business and Schedule C legislation through, from taxation to group health insurance, which Libertarians like myself have extensively praised, and for good reason.

Trump's six bankruptcies were probably just a fluke.
Honestly, I struggle with this. He's clearly a good businessman and that really can't be argued. I really don't like how he used bankruptcy laws, but at the same time it wasn't necessarily him that declared bankruptcy. Warren Buffet has invested in businesses that have declared bankruptcy and nobody really cares. The difference is that Trump always has to have his name on everything thanks to his ego so it's an easier Target. He took risks, no question about it. Some of them didn't work. To his credit his companies always filed chapter 11 for restructuring as opposed to just liquidating assets and telling the lenders to piss off. That in itself shows that he has a resilient nature.

Yes, the guy is a total douchebag but he's still a good businessman.

[
Honestly, I struggle with this. He's clearly a good businessman and that really can't be argued. I really don't like how he used bankruptcy laws, but at the same time it wasn't necessarily him that declared bankruptcy. Warren Buffet has invested in businesses that have declared bankruptcy and nobody really cares. The difference is that Trump always has to have his name on everything thanks to his ego so it's an easier Target. He took risks, no question about it. Some of them didn't work. To his credit his companies always filed chapter 11 for restructuring as opposed to just liquidating assets and telling the lenders to piss off. That in itself shows that he has a resilient nature.

He is great at marketing, but I dont know how

I dont know that he is that good of a businessman. He is great at marketing himself, I will give him that, but he has had a lot of businesses that have struggled. And sure, I get that there are plenty of great businessmen that might have some business that dont do well, but he has had a lot. And I dont think he and Buffet are comparable. Buffet is primarility an investor, where as Trump is the CEO and much more of a hands on decision maker in his businesses. And you also have to consider that a lot of Trump's wealth has come from inheritence as well.

[

He is great at marketing, but I dont know how

I dont know that he is that good of a businessman. He is great at marketing himself, I will give him that, but he has had a lot of businesses that have struggled. And sure, I get that there are plenty of great businessmen that might have some business that dont do well, but he has had a lot. And I dont think he and Buffet are comparable. Buffet is primarility an investor, where as Trump is the CEO and much more of a hands on decision maker in his businesses. And you also have to consider that a lot of Trump's wealth has come from inheritence as well.
How do you delineate between being an investor and owning a business? Trump didn't hold over 50% ownership in the businesses that went bankrupt and we honestly don't know how involved he was in them. He sold his name, which goes back to your marketing point. And quite honestly, I haven't got a clue why it's worth anything to have Trump's name on something. But he did, and some of the companies failed or had to restructure.

Again, I detest the man but I can't say that he isn't a good businessman. He's been an icon of business worldwide for my entire life.

How do you delineate between being an investor and owning a business? Trump didn't hold over 50% ownership in the businesses that went bankrupt and we honestly don't know how involved he was in them. He sold his name, which goes back to your marketing point. And quite honestly, I haven't got a clue why it's worth anything to have Trump's name on something. But he did, and some of the companies failed or had to restructure.

Again, I detest the man but I can't say that he isn't a good businessman. He's been an icon of business worldwide for my entire life.

An investor is investing in someone elses business more or less, but isnt typically the CEO. There are lots of successful brokers who know where to invest money, but dont really have anything to do with the day to day operations of the companies they invest in. Trump is basically the primary decision maker in most of businesses. Even if he doesnt own the entire business, from what I understand (and certainly correct me if Im wrong) he did have the more equity than his partners and was the CEO of the majority of them, and the primary decision making would go through him. Yes, he has licensed his name to some projects for sure, I do understand that, but in those cases he didnt really have much to do with the day to day operations of those businesses, and was basically being paid to for the use of his name. Buffet is the CEO of his investment firm, but not the CEO or typically overly involved in day to day operations in the businesses he invests in.

I dont think he is a business icon. I dont ever remember studying Donald Trump in classes. I remember studying Jack Welch, Herb Kelleher, Michael Dell, and numerous other people and companies and their business strategies, but I never remember studying Trump. And honestly, I always got the impression he was basically a joke in NYC by the people who knew him best.

I like how a thread about a budget deal that involved Nancy Pelosi leading the talks of course devolved into a whiny TDS crying session about the President and his business past

You snowflakes are too predictable

Reactions: UCFBS and UCFWayne

trump literally talks about his struggles in the opening dialogue of the first episode of the apprentice. its on youtube. i shared it here before, maybe ill try to find it again.

I remember studying Jack Welch, Herb Kelleher, Michael Dell, and numerous other people and companies and their business strategies
But you only studied their positives. Welsh and Dell I do not consider good businessmen. In fact, both have been hit hard by the new tax code because of their strategies of over-borrowing and outsourcing.

Warren Buffet has invested in businesses that have declared bankruptcy and nobody really cares.
Exactly. 98% of Americans have never run a small business. They are ignorant.

The US media has created 2 generations of clueless Americans who think only Trump does X, Y and Z, and no one else.

But you only studied their positives. Welsh and Dell I do not consider good businessmen. In fact, both have been hit hard by the new tax code because of their strategies of over-borrowing and outsourcing.

Exactly. 98% of Americans have never run a small business. They are ignorant.

The US media has created 2 generations of clueless Americans who think only Trump does X, Y and Z, and no one else.

How the hell do you know what I studied?

Michael Dell is worth over $38 billion dollars which he made primarily from companies he built from the bottom up. You can certainly pick aaprt things he didnt do well here and there for sure, but how you can say someone who built a business to that level of success is a bad businessman is flat ridiculous. And Jack Welch has been retired from GE almost 20 years ago, so what does the new tax code have to do with him? Buy the way, GE's value rose over 4000% while he was the CEO. But he was a bad businessman?

How the hell do you know what I studied?
Based on popular textbooks and related non-sense. Fortune cookie business non-sense, no different than those who praise Trump too.

Michael Dell is worth over $38 billion dollars which he made primarily from companies he built from the bottom up. You can certainly pick aaprt things he didnt do well here and there for sure, but how you can say someone who built a business to that level of success is a bad businessman is flat ridiculous.
Because I've studied Dell as well. I was extremely critical of his acquisitions, like EMC, based on debt. Welsh is also guilty of the same.

The point here is ... I can criticize Dell and Welsh as much as Trump. It's amazing how 'selective' people are with their 'business' arguments based on political alignments.

And Jack Welch has been retired from GE almost 20 years ago, so what does the new tax code have to do with him? Buy the way, GE's value rose over 4000% while he was the CEO. But he was a bad businessman?
It rose with the .COM boom, especially as GE increased outsourcing and quality went down. To offset those issues created by Welsh, GE has borrowed heavily, which has hurt them badly with the new tax code (which I love, because it penalizes such).

As an engineer -- including microeconomics and business management-wise -- I take real issue with people who hold up Dell and Welsh as positive examples.

Based on popular textbooks and related non-sense. Fortune cookie business non-sense, no different than those who praise Trump too.

Because I've studied Dell as well. I was extremely critical of his acquisitions, like EMC, based on debt. Welsh is also guilty of the same.

The point here is ... I can criticize Dell and Welsh as much as Trump. It's amazing how 'selective' people are with their 'business' arguments based on political alignments.

It rose with the .COM boom, especially as GE increased outsourcing and quality went down. To offset those issues created by Welsh, GE has borrowed heavily, which has hurt them badly with the new tax code (which I love, because it penalizes such).

As an engineer -- including microeconomics and business management-wise -- I take real issue with people who hold up Dell and Welsh as positive examples.

Welch isnt with GE anymore, he isnt currently running the company, so again, what the hell does the new tax code have to do with someone who left almost 20 years ago?

Political alignments? Welch is a known Republican and I have no clue of Dell's political ties. What the hell are you talking about political alignments? You just make shit up as you go and throw out very vague arguments without any supporting evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT