ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Impeachment # 2 Thread

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Well, the House is voting right now...

Listening to the pre-vote speeches, I thought I was going to gag every time one of the Republicans who supported the lie about our elections came out and said, "we need to END the divisiveness." WTF???

If these yahoos wanted to end the divisiveness, where were they last week when the House had their ceremonial vote on the Electoral College?

• Haha
Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
232 to 197, the House impeaches Trump again.
Not at all surprising other than I expected it to be a wider margin. Personally I think its stupid because he's going to be gone in a week anyway, but he deserves it this time.

Not at all surprising other than I expected it to be a wider margin. Personally I think its stupid because he's going to be gone in a week anyway, but he deserves it this time.
If the Republicans were smart, they'd help convict him in the Senate.

The worst thing for the future of the Republican Party is to have Trump free to run again in 2024.

The worst thing for the future of the Republican Party is to have Trump free to run again in 2024.
Hey, if thats what it takes to make you not be afraid of him anymore, I'm cool with that. He isn't going to run anyway and will just go into the garbage bin of history, but if it helps people sleep better at night go for it.

ErpHhhZW4AIRa4m

I believe that the 2024 U.S. elections will be held in Beijing. The CCP will gladly accept your vote for deputies or whatever. You can’t vote for higher levels of government there.

• Haha
Who cares, he is gone in a week. 🥴
It’s the equivalent of putting Ned Stark’s head on a pike in Game of Thrones. The Uniparty has to prove a point that acting against the establishment will not be allowed. Plus they need the theatrics in order to justify the whatever it is they have planned for the “new” administration.

Hey, if thats what it takes to make you not be afraid of him anymore, I'm cool with that. He isn't going to run anyway and will just go into the garbage bin of history, but if it helps people sleep better at night go for it.
I am not so sure of that if he isn't barred from running. and his cult will follow along but the difference this time compared to 2015-16 is a lot of big business supporters(and their bulk donations) will be out

I am not so sure of that if he isn't barred from running. and his cult will follow along but the difference this time compared to 2015-16 is a lot of big business supporters(and their bulk donations) will be out
Well I guess I'd say the left shoukd probably want him to run again. Either he would be a 3rd party candidate that would tank the Republicans or he would be the easiest R to defeat since Hoover.

I dont understand why anybody would think for a moment that he'll ever be president again.

It’s the equivalent of putting Ned Stark’s head on a pike in Game of Thrones. The Uniparty has to prove a point that acting against the establishment will not be allowed. Plus they need the theatrics in order to justify the whatever it is they have planned for the “new” administration.
I’m not sure his actions should be allowed. Do you disagree? At worst he incited a riot. At best he is causally responsible for behaviors and some deaths at the capitol.

I’m not sure his actions should be allowed. Do you disagree? At worst he incited a riot. At best he is causally responsible for behaviors and some deaths at the capitol.
But he didn’t incite anything. That’s what the narrative became, but at no point did he actively tell anyone to storm the capital. The four years he held rallies never had any violence like this involved, so there was never reason to think that this was going to happen. Who do we hold responsible for the Bernie Sanders supporter who was shooting at politicians? What about people who through bricks and mortars at federal officers during riots?

Regardless of the rhetoric coming from politicians or the media, adults are responsible for their own actions. The things Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi said after the 2016 election are just as divisive as anything that has been used to accuse Trump. The difference is probably the unwillingness of people to interpret Trump with the same generousity they give to other politicians.

This impeachment is nothing more than a power play similar to the last one and the Clinton impeachment of the 90’s.

But he didn’t incite anything. That’s what the narrative became, but at no point did he actively tell anyone to storm the capital. The four years he held rallies never had any violence like this involved, so there was never reason to think that this was going to happen. Who do we hold responsible for the Bernie Sanders supporter who was shooting at politicians? What about people who through bricks and mortars at federal officers during riots?

Regardless of the rhetoric coming from politicians or the media, adults are responsible for their own actions. The things Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi said after the 2016 election are just as divisive as anything that has been used to accuse Trump. The difference is probably the unwillingness of people to interpret Trump with the same generousity they give to other politicians.

This impeachment is nothing more than a power play similar to the last one and the Clinton impeachment of the 90’s.
If he didn’t perpetuate a lie for the past 2 months, hold a pre certification rally and then tell attendees to march to the capitol and take back the country with strength do you think any of this would have occurred? Do you think these people would have died? Serious question. Or do you just absolve him of any consequences?

But he didn’t incite anything.
Are you f*king kidding me??? He's been inciting this nonsense since before the election.
1) Despite trailing in the polls by double-digits, Trump said before the election that the only way he could possibly lose is if the election was rigged;
2) Trump set the stage by encouraging his voters to vote the day of the election; insuring that the heavily-Democrat mail-in votes would be counted last in the key battleground states;
3) Trump said after Biden won that -- despite losing the EC and the popular vote overwhelmingly -- that the election was "stolen" from him (I said to my wife, Thank God the election wasn't even close or we'd be in for a world of hurt);
4) Trump and his lawyers appeal the results in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Georgia -- and lost them all.
5) Trump met with State legislatures and encouraged them to not certify their State's EC electors.
6) Trump did massive fund raising focused on "Stop the Steal;"
7) Trump tried to get the Governors of Arizona and Georgia to not certify their state's EC votes;
8) Trump tried to get Georgia's Secretary of State to "find" 10,790 votes;
9) Trump encouraged his followers to come to Washington for a rally -- coincidentally on the same day Congress would officially bless the election results;
10) Trump tried to strong-arm Pence into announcing he would 'throw the results back to the states;'
11) During his POST-ELECTION political rally, Trump encouraged his supporters to "go to the Capitol" saying he'd be right there with them and told them to "show strength;" and
12) Guess what? Once the rioting broke out, Trump resisted efforts to send in the national guard. There were insurrections hanging out inside and outside of the Capitol FOR HOURS after the initial attack.

Soooooooooo...pardon me when I think this impeachment vote was a tad bit more than a 'totally appropriate' speech to his supporters.

that statement would have been better last Wednesday night instead of raging grievances to his staffers till they slipped him a downer . He is more scared of legal issues vs whether he gets convicted

that statement would have been better last Wednesday night instead of raging grievances to his staffers till they slipped him a downer . He is more scared of legal issues vs whether he gets convicted

It's the exact same schtick every goddamn time with trump.

Whenever he's finally in actual legal trouble he cowers like a little bitch and says just enough to slip away. Next week he's back to his same insane shit.

Its a pretty sad place we have found ourselves in when the top priority of our legislative body is to try to take literally 1 day off of a presidents term by using a method that was established for the sole purpose of preventing the worst of the worst from happening.

Impeachment has no more value now that a parliamentary vote of no confidence. Maybe thats good, maybe its bad, but this is a huge power play from the legislative branch.

Reactions: joshwl2003
Its a pretty sad place we have found ourselves in when the top priority of our legislative body is to try to take literally 1 day off of a presidents term by using a method that was established for the sole purpose of preventing the worst of the worst from happening.

Impeachment has no more value now that a parliamentary vote of no confidence. Maybe thats good, maybe its bad, but this is a huge power play from the legislative branch.
There are more ramifications of impeachment if convicted beyond simple removal from office.

As a conservative I’m cheering hard for either the 25th Amendment or impeachment. The sooner Trump is not an option in 2024, the better. The last thing conservatives need is Trump running 3rd party in ‘24 and guaranteeing a Democratic win.

As a conservative I’m cheering hard for either the 25th Amendment or impeachment. The sooner Trump is not an option in 2024, the better. The last thing conservatives need is Trump running 3rd party in ‘24 and guaranteeing a Democratic win.
It would be smart. If he runs in 2024 as a Republican it would be difficult for other candidates to top him in the primary. Also think he would lose the general again.

If he runs in 2024 as a Republican it would be difficult for other candidates to top him in the primary. Also think he would lose the general again.
This is why it would seem to me it would be in Republicans best interest to get Trump out-of-the-picture. I honestly don't believe he could win back the Presidency, but nobody in the Republican Party could stop him if he wants to get back to holding his big rallies that he loves so much.

It's the exact same schtick every goddamn time with trump.

Whenever he's finally in actual legal trouble he cowers like a little bitch and says just enough to slip away. Next week he's back to his same insane shit.
The families of the dead are gonna sue the shit out if him. $10-20m settlement coming.

This is why it would seem to me it would be in Republicans best interest to get Trump out-of-the-picture. I honestly don't believe he could win back the Presidency, but nobody in the Republican Party could stop him if he wants to get back to holding his big rallies that he loves so much.
A lot harder without Twitter.

The families of the dead are gonna sue the shit out if him. $10-20m settlement coming.
That’s interesting. Do you think the fact he has been impeached help their case? Civil case do not require the same standards as criminal right.

Trump is the first president to be impeached for doing something that is constitutionally protected, therefore explicitly not a crime.

That’s interesting. Do you think the fact he has been impeached help their case? Civil case do not require the same standards as criminal right.
Yes. There is less time and money needed on discovery.

Trump is the first president to be impeached for doing something that is constitutionally protected, therefore explicitly not a crime.
Sorry, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes' decision in Schenck v. United States says otherwise.

Urging people to go to the Capitol to disrupt the counting of the Electoral Votes is a criminal offense and -- as we witnessed -- presented a clear and present danger.

Sorry, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes' decision in Schenck v. United States says otherwise.

Urging people to go to the Capitol to disrupt the counting of the Electoral Votes is a criminal offense and -- as we witnessed -- presented a clear and present danger.
Brandenburg vs Ohio pretty much overturned that.

Brandenburg vs Ohio pretty much overturned that.
I looked it up and it appears that ruling doesn't apply in this case. The Court held that the government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

I looked it up and it appears that ruling doesn't apply in this case. The Court held that the government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."
And he didn't direct people to commit a crime. He told them to march to the capitol, which isn't a lawless action. Had he said "go to the Capitol and bust in" that would be directing a lawless action.

And he didn't direct people to commit a crime. He told them to march to the capitol, which isn't a lawless action. Had he said "go to the Capitol and bust in" that would be directing a lawless action.
Not a lawyer but that's why I asked about the difference between criminal vs Civil... Trump has always spoke with cryptic outs like "some people are saying..." Obviously his intent was there...

Not a lawyer but that's why I asked about the difference between criminal vs Civil... Trump has always spoke with cryptic outs like "some people are saying..." Obviously his intent was there...
I think its a pretty steep hill to win a civil suit against him. The 3 protesters that died have no case against him whatsoever. The cop that was beaten to death......there's some gray area there. It isn't typical for the family of an officer that dies in the line of duty to sue their police chief, mayor, governor, etc. They understood the risks the job brought with it going in. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see his family sue the crap out of Trump, I just have my doubts that they could win.

Trump is as guilty as sin of inciting the riot. The attack on the Capitol was the culmination of weeks of his complete and utter nonsense about "Stopping the Steal"

Without Trump, none of this would have happened. He was the instigator of the whole moronic thing. And he also had A LOT of enablers. Republicans who knew better kept their mouths shut and allowed the right-wing media and their sycophants to perpetuate the idiotic notion that a President -- who was trailing in all of the polls and who lost the EC by six states and over 7 million votes -- had the election 'stolen' from him. Words have meaning. Stolen is a powerful one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT