ADVERTISEMENT

UCF 4.5 favorites over GaTech.

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
ESPN projector has UCF winning 66.6 percent. Is that a sign?

Brent Key the coach at GaTech. LOL.

Some interesting story lines. I'm looking to make a bet on this game. I really want to pick UCF but not familiar with GaTech this year. Looking at their wins on their schedule I don't see anything that sticks out other that the Should-have-kneeled Miami game and over a ranked North Carolina.

UCF has that Oklahoma State game to hang their hat on. Plus, I'm familiar with them.

I'm thinking UCF will cover and win by a couple TDs. What Ye' think?

*I'm gonna wait to see if any of these Gatech dudes are sitting out*...But, ya, MeThinks, UCF by two Tds. The line isn't going to move that much.

cutNpaste:

It has been a great job by Brent Key this season in getting this team to a bowl game. Georgia Tech looked like they might be out of bowl contention at different times this year when they lost to Bowling Green and Boston College, but thrilling wins over ranked Miami and North Carolina teams helped to overcome that. The Yellow Jackets also got wins over South Carolina State, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Syracuse to help clinch their first bowl game.

They did it behind one of the best offenses in the ACC. Haynes King guided the Yellow Jackets to be the No. 3 offense in the ACC in yards per game, 6th in passing yards per game, and the top rushing attack in the conference. They scored 23 points and ran for over 200 yards on Georgia in the last game of the season.

King had one of the best seasons for a quarterback in Georgia Tech history. He finished tied for 3rd in the ACC in passing yards, while also rushing for nearly 700 yards and nine touchdowns.

Running back Jamal Haynes was 5th in the ACC in rushing and Georgia Tech's offensive line not only led the way for the top rushing attack, but they were also one of the top offensive lines when it came to protecting the quarterback, ranking in the top 20 nationally in sacks allowed.

This is a huge accomplishment for the program for Key's team in year one and they will be working hard to prepare to win this game.

Georgia Tech run defense ranks 128 out of 130.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

"TOTALLY depends on who plays for us"

So far, and on this first day of the transfer portal day, I haven't heard of anyone sitting out. Knock on wood.

"run defense ranks 128 out of 130"

RJ Harvey has another year of eligibility. Hope he stays and plays.

Also, haven't seen Demarckus Bowman all year. What the heck happened to his playing time. That is all we heard over the off season. Secret weapon for the bowl game?!?

Georgia Tech Key Players​

• Haynes King has thrown for 2,797 yards (233.1 ypg) to lead Georgia Tech, completing 61.9% of his passes and tossing 26 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions this season. He's also run for 648 yards (54.0 ypg) on 108 carries with nine rushing touchdowns.
  • Jamal Haynes has carried the ball 156 times for a team-high 931 yards (77.6 per game), with seven touchdowns this year.
  • Eric Singleton Jr.'s team-high 706 receiving yards (58.8 yards per game) have come on 47 receptions with six touchdowns.
  • Malik Rutherford has caught 44 passes for 462 yards (38.5 yards per game) and three touchdowns this year.
  • Christian Leary's 25 receptions have netted him 351 yards (29.3 ypg) and two touchdowns.

Also, haven't seen Demarckus Bowman all year. What the heck happened to his playing time. That is all we heard over the off season. Secret weapon for the bowl game?!?
I was thinking about him just yesterday. He got hurt against Villinova, and I haven't seen or heard from him since.

Brent Key the coach at GaTech. LOL.

Some interesting story lines. I'm looking to make a bet on this game. I really want to pick UCF but not familiar with GaTech this year. Looking at their wins on their schedule I don't see anything that sticks out other that the Should-have-kneeled Miami game and over a ranked North Carolina.

UCF has that Oklahoma State game to hang their hat on. Plus, I'm familiar with them.

I'm thinking UCF will cover and win by a couple TDs. What Ye' think?
If they were running that Navy triple option we'd be in trouble.

Bowl Game Upsets

Gasparilla Bowl: Georgia Tech +170 vs. UCF

Georgia Tech is a team I'm high on heading into next season. Head coach Brent Key has the Yellow Jackets heading in the right direction and I like this matchup versus UCF.

The line for this game opened UCF -6.5 and dropped to -4.5. Georgia Tech lost a couple of guys to the transfer portal but most of their key players will be available, including quarterback Haynes King and running back Jamal Haynes.

King and Haynes combined for 1,579 rushing yards this season. The duo helped the Yellow Jackets rank 17th in rushing offense at 197 yards per game. That presents a huge problem for a porous UCF defense that allowed 196.4 yards per game on the ground. That ranks 125th out of 133 teams.

Look for Georgia Tech's offense to control the game on the ground and wear down UCF's defense in the second half. Take the Yellow Jackets to pull the upset.

Haynes King is one of only two players in the nation with at least 2,700 passing yards, 600 rushing yards, 25 touchdown passes, and five touchdown runs this season (joining LSU’s Jayden Daniels), and one of only six ACC players to achieve those numbers in a regular season since 2000. He led the ACC in touchdown passes and was fourth in passing yards. Georgia Tech had one of the biggest offensive turnarounds in the country and with the majority of the starters slated to be back next season, they could be even better.

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl

Tampa, Florida

Georgia Tech (6-6) vs. UCF (6-6), 6:30 p.m., ESPN

Point spread:
UCF -4.5 (UCF favored to win by more than 4.5 points, otherwise Georgia Tech covers)
Moneyline: UCF -205 favorite to win (bet $10 to win $14.88 total); Georgia Tech +171 underdog to win (bet $10 to win $27.10 total)
Total scoring Over/Under: 64 points scored by both teams combined
Will George O’Leary do the coin toss for this one? The Knights will certainly revel in the opportunity to get a bowl win down I-4 at rival USF’s stadium, if nothing else.

PICK: UCF (-4.5) to win by more than 4.5 points
PICK: Under 62.5 points scored by both teams combined

Depending on who opts out, this could look alot like the Duke game last year when Leonard ate us up.

Report: Georgia Tech Parts Ways With Defensive Coaches Andrew Thacker and Travares Tillman​

Story by Jackson Caudell • 12h
Georgia Tech gets the first crack at Jim Leonhard, Gary Patterson, Tom Allen, Andy Avalos, etc.

Gus is apparently going to keep his guys until AFTER Early Signing Day (Dec. 20) and the bowl game (Dec. 23).

“We definitely want everybody to know that this is not a vacation,” Tech running back Jamal Haynes said. “We’re trying to go win the game, and we have to dial in, we have to focus, we have to be prepared to go play another team that’s also trying to have the same goal as us: win the bowl game.”

"TOTALLY depends on who plays for us"

So far, and on this first day of the transfer portal day, I haven't heard of anyone sitting out. Knock on wood.

"run defense ranks 128 out of 130"

RJ Harvey has another year of eligibility. Hope he stays and plays.

Secret weapon? Kid is on his third college and has not seen the field for any of the schools. Maybe, just maybe he’s not very good at being a RB?

week old news, but didn't see it until now:

Georgia Tech's defense has taken another hit.

This morning, defensive end Kyle Kennard - who led the team with six sacks in the 2023-24 campaign - announced he will be entering the transfer portal.

week old news, but didn't see it until now:

Georgia Tech's defense has taken another hit.

This morning, defensive end Kyle Kennard - who led the team with six sacks in the 2023-24 campaign - announced he will be entering the transfer portal.
Now we need all their rbs to portal out so we only give up 200 yds rushing on the ground

Now we need all their rbs to portal out so we only give up 200 yds rushing on the ground
Hell, their QB alone will rush for 200 yards. Unless he has an off day, he will be impressive (like Leonard at Duke last year). AL and I really wanted him to transfer here last offseason.

Our hands will be full trying to contain their offense

Reactions: Robert0122
Thanks for sharing....I didn't know Haynes King had thrown for over 2700 yrds, 26 TDs, 650yrds rushing, & 9 rushing TDs. Super impressed in those stats. He's going to be a big threat and perhaps of the best QBs we will have faced this year. Curious to know how Coach Addison is preparing for this guy, or if he has a plan that will pay dividends. My gut says no, but we'll see. Although the Okie State game may have saved his job, I don't think he has the experience to lead this position. That is another discussion in the off season.

Also interesting to see the usfif transfer's opinion on the game. I sense he was elated leaving a sad program and actually playing for a Power team w/an upside and an opportunity in seeing some family in December. There will be a Gold and Black Tampa take-over which historically occurs every year in December. After it all settled in, I'm pretty excited for the game. I will be there on Friday.

Reactions: Central Floridave
Thanks for sharing....I didn't know Haynes King had thrown for over 2700 yrds, 26 TDs, 650yrds rushing, & 9 rushing TDs. Super impressed in those stats. He's going to be a big threat and perhaps of the best QBs we will have faced this year. Curious to know how Coach Addison is preparing for this guy, or if he has a plan that will pay dividends. My gut says no, but we'll see. Although the Okie State game may have saved his job, I don't think he has the experience to lead this position. That is another discussion in the off season.

Also interesting to see the usfif transfer's opinion on the game. I sense he was elated leaving a sad program and actually playing for a Power team w/an upside and an opportunity in seeing some family in December. There will be a Gold and Black Tampa take-over which historically occurs every year in December. After it all settled in, I'm pretty excited for the game. I will be there on Friday.
Good insights. It’s going to take a LOT of fight for us to win this game. I’ll be there with my gang of 12 cheering loudly for our Knights!

Reactions: Central Floridave
It’s a little wild how little we’ve seen/heard about prep leading up to this game. I guess that’s college football this time of year, with portal happenings and early signing day happening at the same time.

Unless I’ve missed something, I haven’t heard of any of our players opting out? I guess that information could come out closer to the game, but for now, it sounds like Corey Thornton (portal) will be the only starter not with team?

T. Morris-Brash, R. Barber, J. Celiscar, J. Johnson, D. Patterson, L. Pauole, T. Grable, J. Plumlee, A. Holler, R. Harvey, K. Hudson, and J. Baker are all in? That would be pretty incredible if we get to see all those guys play one more time!

Gibson was a part of the competition for the starting QB spot against Haynes King and Zach Pyron but ultimately lost out to King. He did not appear in a game during the 2023 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT