ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF DE Josh Celiscar working to become a complete player 🏈***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

After a standout freshman season, Josh Celiscar emerged as a starter in 2021 and is looking to take on a bigger leadership role heading into his third year.

We caught up with him late last week.

"I believe my role on this team is to do my job and everybody is going to follow me," Celiscar said. "The d-line follows me and asks me questions. I want to help them out as much as I can."

Celsicar said last spring/camp was about "getting used" to the new staff and he feels he's a better player after being challenged by T-Will and crew.

He wants to improve his pass rush heading into his junior season.

"This year we need somebody to get there," Celiscar said. "Now it's time to work and get better."

What's the process of doing that?

"We have 4:30 meetings, so I try to stay with Coach (Kenny Ingram) a little bit after to talk about what we need to do, like tighten down or work on your first step. Giving me good keys so I can get better. Developing one move and getting a counter off that one move."

Celsicar said he's trying to bring K.D. McDaniel along. He's the transfer from Kentucky that's playing the buck position.

"He's an energy guy," Celiscar said. "He's going to get to the ball and work hard. Now it's about him getting the technique down and progressing."

d77tjdvs9s29zxvuoxjc

Who's having a good spring?

"I think Koby Perry," Celiscar said. "He's been doing a lot of things, like getting to the football. I really like that. I want a safety that brings something. I love the way he comes to practice with energy and getting to the football. I really appreciate him coming here and doing what he's doing."

Perry, a transfer from Austin Peay, was the OVC's Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Celiscar feels the DL has progressed. He admitted they were not prepared for the initial demands from this staff.

"Last spring, we weren't expecting all this from the coaches," Celiscar said. "Now we come out here and accept the challenge. We want the physical (play) and all that comes with it."

Celiscar said Kenny Ingram (DE coach) is a cool and funny guy. Also a minister.

"Before every practice we pray and go through a devotion," Celiscar said. "He's a great coach. With him challenging me last year, I feel I'm progressing and becoming more of a leader, both vocally and leading by example."

How is the offense looking? Celiscar usually goes against offensive tackle Sam Jackson.

"He gives me fits. He's going to get me better and I'll get him better. The offense looks good overall."

He later added OT Ryan Swoboda (Virginia transfer) has been doing well against their DEs, though he hasn't personally faced him yet.

I asked Josh about his little brother Isaac who is a basketball player in the Class of 2024. He has an early offer from Siena. He's trying to be a mentor, like his older brother Donald (now a coach at Western Michigan) was to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News