ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Fast & Slow - UF Edition

gapman333

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2009
Winter Springs
WOOF. What a terrible game. Never felt like we were in it from the jump. Crazy to think we were favored in this game on the road in the swamp. UCF has come such a long way since last time we played them in 2006 when all we wanted to do was not get shut out (we failed by the way). But in many ways I felt worse after this game then in 2006. In 2006 I didn’t expect anything, this game I expected to at least compete and make it a close game and we didn’t even do that. Only saving grace is that I don’t think UF is any good and they will go on to shit themselves this season which makes me smile but we had a big time chance here, two weeks in a row now and we didn’t deliver…

UCF Fast: This should be quick…
  • Ethan Barr: Defense had a weird game, couldn’t get off field much in 1st half, game script kind of dictated it but in the end I think most of us would feel we would have had a good chance of winning this game if we held UF to 24 and 0pts in the 2nd half. Hard to blame this one more on the defense then the offense. I thought Barr played well. Biggest beef with the defense is that there are no game changing players. We desperately needed the defense to get a big sack, turnover, something, and not much from them. But that has been the case all year, defense needs to hold serve and offense needs to win the game.

• Reddick: I will give him some props. I watched him kick at practice several times and Boomer’s leg just pops so much better but Reddick stepped up and knocked down those kicks with out issue. Lone bright spot for us tonight. Hope that means positive things for years to come. I will take accuracy and consistency over power with my kicker every time.

• UCF Fans: We did our part, traveled in mass up there. The folks I was talking to said it was the most opposing team fans they have seen, right up there with UM and LSU. Too bad we didn’t have much of a chance of being loud. Just never in it but we were there, no doubt.

• Cantina Anejo: My boy owns that Cantina Anejo spot outside the stadium where the old Swamp used to be. Highlight of the trip was getting to see him and hang out. Had kids and wife at a table in the back away from the mess while I got properly sloshed on Tequila which in retrospect was the win of the night so I wasn’t 1,000% coherent for every snap of that shit show.
UCF Slow: Fack…
  • KJ: Offensive line was brutal tonight no doubt but I am not giving that excuse to KJ. KJ was terrible. He did nothing well. He couldn’t run - attempted 12 runs for -18 yards. He couldn’t throw – 50% completions for 165 yards no TD and a pick. He also couldn’t get away from pressure taking 5 sacks. Couldn’t convert 3rd or 4th downs, again another 3rd and 1, then a 4th and 1 and we don’t move line an inch. Another red zone first and goal that turns into a 4th and 19. KJ deserved to be pulled from that game. I don’t see how Jacurri would have given us less or could have done worse. At least he could get away from the rush and make something happen. Dude as elite athleticism vs. KJ who looks like he is wading through peanut butter back there.

• Gus: Back to back games where we did not look like we were prepared properly. The stubbornness to stick with KJ and the basic ass offense that was 4 or so different plays (KJ stumble up middle, RJ read option hand off, sweep of some type, drop back overthrow or underthrow Pittman. That was basically 75% of the plays we witnessed last night. Gus did not do a great job of getting his playmakers the ball. It is criminal that Johnny is as underutilized as he is, again avg 6yds a touch+. Could have swept him on that 3rd or 4th and 1. Or how about you give him HALF of KJ’s runs. KJ has matched RJ in carries the last two games with 32!!! Johnny has like 7 in last two games. We had so many head scratching QB draws. I don’t know what Gus sees that he thinks having KJ line up at shot gun and run at the line with no RB in the backfield is ever going to work. It just kept failing over and over again. Gus has to do better. I feel like we are regressing on offense. For Gus’s offense you need a QB that has acceleration. We are too easy to defend right now. Defense stacks box focuses on Harvey, doesn’t care if KJ keeps it, puts safety over Hudson, game over. Also WTF with the clock management in the 4th qtr, we were playing like we were up 11 not down 11.

• Offensive Line: They had a brutal game. KJ was under constant pressure which was all the more reason I thought bringing in a more mobile QB would help. Not like KJ was throwing great either so really didn’t have much to lose. Really crappy for offensive line on those 3rd and shorts we couldn’t get any push. Doesn’t help the line that the QB cant seem to hit his third step, plant foot and drive ball quickly out of his hands.

• UF Concessions: What was that? Not sure how many of you tried any of the concessions but they were AWFUL. Literally the driest pretzel I ever ate in my life. Couldn’t even chew it. I have 3 kids with me 10, 11, 13. Typically we get a pretzel you can lose a finger with them fighting each other for it. This pretzel was ultimately just thrown on the floor after no one was willing to keep trying to water it down. Terrible options, all food was bad. Guy behind us got nachos, said it was the stalest chip he ever bit. For such a “great” program they should do better.
It wasn’t the birthday weekend I had envisioned. I will give props to my family, wife and kids put up with a lot of shit last week for a 12 hr day and all that came with it against Colorado and with this being a late game in Gville it wasn’t much easier and they pulled through. I had a great time Friday night and all day Saturday until the game so I cant complain too much. UCF though has to figure out a way to turn this around. We lose at home to Cincy next week and that is probably the season. I believe Gus has to SERIOUSLY consider Jacurri, at least getting him ready and keeping KJ on a shorter leash or maybe sprinkling in Jacurri here and there to give the opposition something to think about. Definition of insanity is for us to keep doing the same things and expecting different results. That is what it has felt like the last two weeks. I can feel the momentum and the potential for this season just falling off. We need to find something to turn this around it is too early in the year to feel this way. Lots of football left in front of us. Please Gus, please turn this ship around, too many upper classmen for us to go out like this. Go Knights!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.