ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Men's Soccer - Ranked #1 in the country!

I've watched a couple of games. They had a goal stolen by the referee against #1 Marshall in the dying seconds of the game a few weeks back. I believe that is their only loss. It's nice to have a UCF team ranked #1 in the country.

What’s your point?
No one watches. When they were 10 people didn’t post. It’s nice to say our Cyber Team is best in nation. No one follows it until it’s announced they won. All that matters is football and basketball. Everything else is just a nice little story.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
No one watches. When they were 10 people didn’t post. It’s nice to say our Cyber Team is best in nation. No one follows it until it’s announced they won. All that matters is football and basketball. Everything else is just a nice little story.
Christ, I thought I was a cynic and downer. I went to a game at UCF a few weeks ago and hundreds were there in the stands, watching and cheering. So cram the negativity bucko.

If it's on ESPN+ and I happen to remember it's online, I will watch the games. Perhaps I'm outside the ordinary. My kids are big soccer fans so we'll all watch together. Regardless if it's not FB or BB, I still think the players should be recognized for their hard-work and commitment to the program.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
I'm a fan of the school I went to. When they do well in something, it gives me a sense of pride.

Lastly, if UCF is at the top of the board in any competition, it helps the overall brand build up. I understand that football being at the top builds the brand way more than soccer but it is still a positive.

GO KNIGHTS

It may not matter on a national scale, but so what? I'm happy we got the #1 ranking. I don't watch UCF men's soccer regularly, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy hearing that our team received this honor. Does it help our athletic program that we have a #1-ranked men's soccer team? It can't hurt, can it?

Mens college soccer has taken so many hits over the years because of Title IV and other reasons within the soccer world. US soccer has done nothing to grow it. It could be so much bigger on a national stage than it is. In the 90's college soccer had 25,000 people at the national championship games over multiple years. Now, hardly anyone attends nor cares except a few students and the players families. All athletes that bust their butts should get the proper recognition.

if/when CTE starts killing youth participation rates you better learn to love futbol B&G
Head injuries are prevalent in kids soccer too. I like National Team Soccer. Mostly US. La Liga, EPL, German and US Pro Soccer I don’t care about. Messi coming here was fun for a month or 2. Now he can’t wait to get out. It will be hard for soccer to compete with 4 other well established Pro Leagues in US. Especially in US where soccer is played by kids not good enough for the other sports.

head injuries and body blows still don’t compare to American Football

Soccer and Basketball are safer sports

More posts on the National Thread about our #1 ranking than here...

I'm super stoked about this!

#UCFacts

:cool:

Christ, I thought I was a cynic and downer. I went to a game at UCF a few weeks ago and hundreds were there in the stands, watching and cheering. So cram the negativity bucko.
Soccer will eventually become something, but I had to groan when you actually said 'hundreds' and proved the point that no one watches. Own goal. Was fortunate to turn the TV on an see UCF v FIU where we lead for the entire game, except the last 1:30 or so when FIU scored twice and tied the game. Used to play soccer, but it's really boring to watch.

Mens college soccer has taken so many hits over the years because of Title IV and other reasons within the soccer world. US soccer has done nothing to grow it. It could be so much bigger on a national stage than it is. In the 90's college soccer had 25,000 people at the national championship games over multiple years. Now, hardly anyone attends nor cares except a few students and the players families. All athletes that bust their butts should get the proper recognition.
Which is weird since over the last few years more attention has been given to soccer. Think back, when has there been as much coverage of European 'football' on ESPN etc. as there is now? Last foreign football games ESPN played was Australian rules, back when they had next to no US sports rights.

soccer growing in America won't help college soccer because unlike basketball and football America doesn't influence how talent is developed. If one day Americans cares about soccer it will because it wants a copy of the global product (specifically the big European leagues) and the Europeans develop talent in a completely different way. They are signing up 4 and 5 year olds to professional academies and paying for their development in hopes of one in each class making the first team. When we start doing the same the type of talent that will filter to college will make it unrecognizable to the professional game. As it stands now high school boys soccer is pretty much dead because all the talented kids are in academies and can't commit to their high school teams.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
soccer growing in America won't help college soccer because unlike basketball and football America doesn't influence how talent is developed. If one day Americans cares about soccer it will because it wants a copy of the global product (specifically the big European leagues) and the Europeans develop talent in a completely different way. They are signing up 4 and 5 year olds to professional academies and paying for their development in hopes of one in each class making the first team. When we start doing the same the type of talent that will filter to college will make it unrecognizable to the professional game. As it stands now high school boys soccer is pretty much dead because all the talented kids are in academies and can't commit to their high school teams.

Outside of football, all high school varsity teams are secondary to a players "select", "travel", or "national" team or however it is said in your area. The US still produces the overwhelming majority of the best basketball player in the world, and they do not use the European soccer model. I don't see why if soccer became our #1 sport and siphoned all the talent from the future NFL/NBA/MLB pool, why the US pro league and mens national teams wouldn't go toe to toe with the world "powers". Youth sports in the US is a billion-dollar industry. If the talent pool shifts, the US leagues will be every bit as good as EPL, Serie A, etc.

Soccer won't become a number one sport in the US. We can, however, compete with the top countries and lure more athletes to the game because of the crazy pay the top soccer players receive- well in excess of 100 million per season. MLS is growing like crazy. But I have never seen an organization like US soccer make so many stupid decisions and hinder or stop its own growth (except maybe USF :) College soccer is one avenue for player development that should be supported. I'm proud to have the #1 men's soccer program at UCF and it stinks that UF, FSU, and Miami don't have programs because there are so many talented youth soccer players in the state of Florida that deserve an opportunity to play at the collegiate level.

Reactions: SurfaceWarrior
How's the broadcast quality on ESPN+? I may just subscribe as I'm trying to get into soccer more.
The soccer coverage isn’t great but I still enjoy watching. The UCF coverage is better than almost all the away game coverage. The exception was when we played at S Carolina. Their coverage was a little better than ours.
FYI… I purchased ESPN+ a couple years ago as part of a bundle with Hulu and Disney+. It was a great price for the bundle and I’ve enjoyed watching great coverage of all the UCF volleyball games and softball games. Also, most of the baseball games and a lot of basketball is only available on ESPN+. Marc Daniels is the ESPN+ broadcaster for the UCF baseball games and he does a great job.
Well worth the purchase if you’re a true UCF fan. 😉

Outside of football, all high school varsity teams are secondary to a players "select", "travel", or "national" team or however it is said in your area. The US still produces the overwhelming majority of the best basketball player in the world, and they do not use the European soccer model. I don't see why if soccer became our #1 sport and siphoned all the talent from the future NFL/NBA/MLB pool, why the US pro league and mens national teams wouldn't go toe to toe with the world "powers". Youth sports in the US is a billion-dollar industry. If the talent pool shifts, the US leagues will be every bit as good as EPL, Serie A, etc.
America has a raw numbers advantage in basketball, not a developmental advantage (AAU sucks). Europe has less basketball players and are doing a damn good job of producing elite talent. they don't have as much room for error like we do in America, we can just keep throwing bodies at it (eggs against the wall system). if Europe was developing talent the same way we do in America they would be in bad shape because so much talent would go to waste and they can't afford that.

in women's soccer, America had the biggest talent pool to draw from globally for the longest time so they got away with this poor development system. but as soon as the big European men's teams started investing in women's soccer, things are looking different.

we're a nation of 330 million people, we can have a bad system and still produce talent.

and the things I say about Europe apply to South America as well, a club driven developmental system.

Soccer won't become a number one sport in the US. We can, however, compete with the top countries and lure more athletes to the game because of the crazy pay the top soccer players receive- well in excess of 100 million per season. MLS is growing like crazy. But I have never seen an organization like US soccer make so many stupid decisions and hinder or stop its own growth (except maybe USF :) College soccer is one avenue for player development that should be supported. I'm proud to have the #1 men's soccer program at UCF and it stinks that UF, FSU, and Miami don't have programs because there are so many talented youth soccer players in the state of Florida that deserve an opportunity to play at the collegiate level.
then shouldn't that mean more for UCF, FIU and USF? but that's not the case because we're not even heavily recruiting in-state talent or America for that matter. We're recruiting internationally, the vast majority of our players are from foreign countries.

No one really watches college soccer. It’s great to say but I haven’t watched 1 game. Maybe once tournament starts. Who knows.
When we win a championship in men's soccer, or track n field or even baseball, no one will care because @BlakNGoldAllDay doesn't watch it, no one watches and thus it matters not.. because he says so.

It just needs to be basketball or football I guess.

When we win a championship in men's soccer, or track n field or even baseball, no one will care because @BlakNGoldAllDay doesn't watch it, no one watches and thus it matters not.. because he says so.

It just needs to be basketball or football I guess.
Name the final 4 in men’s soccer the last 5 years without Google. I didn’t think you could. Don’t pretend like you are this huge fan that’s been watching every game for years because they are ranked #1 now.

DUDE! I've liked soccer ever since I moved to Europe.

I'm not saying I'm NOW a huge fan of UCF soccer. Never have been.

But get it through Houlier Than Thou skull and realize this is BIG FOR UCF!

It's not so f*cking hard to understand assuming you received a degree from UCF.

That is all I'm trying to say.

Apparently for you, it means absolutely nothing because no one watches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
America has a raw numbers advantage in basketball, not a developmental advantage (AAU sucks). Europe has less basketball players and are doing a damn good job of producing elite talent. they don't have as much room for error like we do in America, we can just keep throwing bodies at it (eggs against the wall system). if Europe was developing talent the same way we do in America they would be in bad shape because so much talent would go to waste and they can't afford that.

in women's soccer, America had the biggest talent pool to draw from globally for the longest time so they got away with this poor development system. but as soon as the big European men's teams started investing in women's soccer, things are looking different.

we're a nation of 330 million people, we can have a bad system and still produce talent.

and the things I say about Europe apply to South America as well, a club driven developmental system.
This is so spot on .

Once Europe got serious our ladies didn’t look impressive at all. Spain 🇪🇸 won the Women’s World Cup w almost a B team w all the controversy w their manager (pre kiss controversy)

Is it the Men’s or Women’s Program that has a history of choking in the postseason?

Work to do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT