ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs Memphis Game Thread

Good complete game. Good news we are seeing improvement on both sides of the ball. We need that to continue the rest of the year and hope for a bowl game.
It did help facing their third string QB. My only negative thought if Gatewood is not going to throw the ball stop putting him in. It just kills the momentum. I don't consider a shovel pass passing throwing the ball.😎
Agree and let's all celebrate and enjoy the win for goodness sake!

With Milton, sure the first season was rough, but at least he showed the occasional magic with his feet. With DG, he showed he had a great deep ball. With Mikey… I don’t see any above average skills. He does have the least amount of talent around him that we’ve had in recent years, and that’s something that has to be taken into consideration. But I just don’t see what there is to build upon.
Not much to build on.

The only negative tonight was defense #0. Guy had two boneheaded penalties. One for holding and the other a personal foul because he speared a receiver running his route.
I was pleased to see Gus giving him the business after the second one. I think he was an Auburn transfer too.

In my opinion, his HS film does not support this.
I am putting this on the play calling at this point. He doesn't have Dillion's arm strength (not many do), but he can push the ball downfield. He's made a few very nice throws across the field from the far side hash. Gus and Kinne need to take more shots down the field. Even if they don't connect, just do something to keep the defense from loading up the box.

Keene has not impressed me, but let's not act like there is a better option waiting somewhere on the bench. We gonna run Gatewood out there, and just not pass ever? Gatewood is the most ineffective Wildcat QB I've seen.

Gatewood is to me, nothing more than a goal-line/short-yardage option guy. Mack was better. Keene has shown promise, some good throws, and I think great poise for a freshman. He had two perfect balls dropped tonight so maybe if they complete those, the playbook opens up some. I want to see improvement too, but damn, stop taking him out and let him throw the freaking rock. People are talking about this kid like he's the second coming of Pete Dinovo!

I would also like to see him with Flash in the game. He opens things up for everyone else. Gatewood is never going to be the solution. Right now, the future is Mikey unless Castellanos comes in and takes over. Assuming DG is done. Until Dillon actually plays and survives I am not counting on him being around.

Overall a win is a win. Great to see the Defense dominate a QB that they should. The playbook needs to open up some. More deep shots. On to Temple! GKCO

Assuming DG is done. Until Dillon actually plays and survives I am not counting on him being around.
Assuming DG is done?

Why would he be done? Broken Clavicle is a pretty common injury in football that pretty much everyone comes back from. Even if he didn’t come back this year. He’d be back the next year. Gabriel had been incredibly durable up until this injury.

Defense looked much better tonight but they still need work on tackling. Cut out the bumps and trips and wrap up. Also need to cut out the penalties.

Assuming DG is done?

Why would he be done? Broken Clavicle is a pretty common injury in football that pretty much everyone comes back from. Even if he didn’t come back this year. He’d be back the next year. Gabriel had been incredibly durable up until this injury.
giphy.gif

It's also something that can break again with ease. It is true, he's been durable, but in my own mind I'm being conservative until I see otherwise. The news that he's throwing again was extremely promising.

Memphis was moving the ball, almost out gained UCF. Just happened to be a QBs first game and he threw 3 picks including two in the end zone.

The offense had 3 drives in the forth quarter for 8 yards and used up 3:30 of clock. Felt just like the Navy game, trying to get the opponent opportunities for a comeback.

Defense looked much better tonight but they still need work on tackling. Cut out the bumps and trips and wrap up. Also need to cut out the penalties.
"potato sack drill". Been harping on it for decades. You throw 50-lb sacks of potatoes at players while they are running and they have to catch them or at least hold on to it as they go to the ground. Not as easy as one thinks. The bag "moves". The bag "squirms", and it's got solid weight to it. When done, have the kids peal them and cook them up.

Memphis was moving the ball, almost out gained UCF. Just happened to be a QBs first game and he threw 3 picks including two in the end zone.

The offense had 3 drives in the forth quarter for 8 yards and used up 3:30 of clock. Felt just like the Navy game, trying to get the opponent opportunities for a comeback.
It's nice to be playing at home.

"potato sack drill". Been harping on it for decades. You throw 50-lb sacks of potatoes at players while they are running and they have to catch them or at least hold on to it as they go to the ground. Not as easy as one thinks. The bag "moves". The bag "squirms", and it's got solid weight to it. When done, have the kids peal them and cook them up.
I have never heard of this but if true that sounds damn entertaining 😆

I was at the game but completely missed what happened during the delay of game call at the end of the first half. Gus was terribly upset and some of the Tigers looked very pleased with themselves. What happened?

I'm getting ready to watch the game on DVR this Saturday morning. Screw ESPN game day!

Some additions to this thread is it was cool to see Matt Loudermilk punting to a fan during a time out. Also, the segment they did for the Jags win with video board of Matt Wright's kicks were great and well recieved...then they zoomed in on him. He was at the game! Roaring applause for that.

The Space themed vids were cool also. My name was on the helmet and hoping I can get one when they go on sale. Sssshhh, don't tell the wife... $$$$$....

Fun atmosphere in the stadium, now to go watch on DVR and sip coffee.

Go Knights!

I was at the game but completely missed what happened during the delay of game call at the end of the first half. Gus was terribly upset and some of the Tigers looked very pleased with themselves. What happened?
From what I saw was that the Memphis defender basically walked off the field during the substitution. He wasn’t off the field until the play clock was last 0. Keene should have just snapped it but it looked like he was waiting for the defender to get off the field

So we run on a replacement guy late (22 sec left on the play clock). After the guy gets set in the position he is going to play, the defense gets 3 seconds to initiate a substitution if they want. The new Memphis guy gets on the field pretty quick.....but the guy leaving is basically walking off.

So unless the officials think the guy is dogging it, they stand in front of the QB until he exits the field. In this case the play clock goes to 0 WHILE the official is still blocking us from snapping the football.

This was a ploy by Memphis to get a cheap penalty, telling their guy to 1/4 ass it off the field. Our only fault is substituting so late....they should have had our guy leaving fall down and fake an injury.

Reactions: Knight Strength

what happened during the delay of game call at the end of the first half.
If you substitute, the defense is given an opportunity to substitute while the ref stands on the ball preventing you from snapping. Apparently we didn't start substituting until 0:21 on the play clock and it was late enough that the defender could trot slowly off the field and use up the rest of the play clock. I've never seen it happen before.

That said, much is always made in these games about opponents using substitutions to slow down the hurry-up offense that we run. "If they sub, we will sub," their coach supposedly said. I just haven't seen much hurry-up this year, so I dont really get why they make such an issue of it.

Reactions: ucffinally
So we run on a replacement guy late (22 sec left on the play clock). After the guy gets set in the position he is going to play, the defense gets 3 seconds to initiate a substitution if they want. The new Memphis guy gets on the field pretty quick.....but the guy leaving is basically walking off.

So unless the officials think the guy is dogging it, they stand in front of the QB until he exits the field. In this case the play clock goes to 0 WHILE the official is still blocking us from snapping the football.

This was a ploy by Memphis to get a cheap penalty, telling their guy to 1/4 ass it off the field. Our only fault is substituting so late....they should have had our guy leaving fall down and fake an injury.
I didn’t see the ref standing near the ball, i was wondering why they didn’t hike it. I saw the sub and the Memphis player basically walk off

So I can't believe I'm saying this, but the defense won this game. They still showed flashes of bad, but overall there was improvement.
As for the offense... well it's certainly not the excitement we've become used to. Gone are the days where scoring 30+ was practically guaranteed. I also get the impression that Gus doesn't trust either QB to throw the ball. That said, when Keene did pass the throws looked better - 2 big drops that were right on target.
I'm happier about this win then squeaking by ECU.

Reactions: tjb74
Regarding the substitution/delay of game penalty, the defense has an obligation to get off the field with some haste. The refs are NOT supposed to hold up the offense indefinitely when a defender is slowly strolling off the field. There's a point where we're supposed to be allowed to snap the ball and catch the defense with 12 players on the field for a penalty.

Looked like the refs held us up far too long on that play.

Reactions: Tiemanster
Regarding the substitution/delay of game penalty, the defense has an obligation to get off the field with some haste. The refs are NOT supposed to hold up the offense indefinitely when a defender is slowly strolling off the field. There's a point where we're supposed to be allowed to snap the ball and catch the defense with 12 players on the field for a penalty.

Looked like the refs held us up far too long on that play.
A few years ago this happened all the time. I thought they changed the rules but I guess not. Surprised more teams don’t do it. You don’t have to run off field. That’s why you shouldn’t sub during a drive. Better off acting hurt if you’re tired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT