ADVERTISEMENT

UCF was leading Frost's Cornhuskers at halftime in 1997

knightraveler

Bronze Knight
Aug 20, 2014
I was thinking back to that game and how happy we were that Nebraska gave us the chance to play them. I remember the press stating that the Nebraska fans were impressed by the effort we gave with Culpepper's Knights leading 17-14 at halftime against Scott Frost's Huskers ..eventually falling 24-38. The Huskers went on to share the national championship by beating Peyton Manning's Vols.

Now 20 years later their quarterback Scott Frost comes back to take us to the highest ranking we ever had at the end of the regular season with a perfect record. Maybe that game had an influence in his decision to coach us. It is really hard for me to hate Nebraska or Scott Frost. Our new coaching staff will be together very soon and then they will shore up the recruits. Even if Frost flips a few recruits so be it. We are still far far ahead of where we were without Frost. If we lose players then they were never really knights.

I watched that game on TV. I give husker fans a lot of credit that day. Players got a standing O as they left the field. I agree on SF I don't hate him. I don't even have a problem with him going after recruits he was working on. I do have a problem with those on commit list. But coaching and recruiting is a nasty business.

I watched that game on TV. I give husker fans a lot of credit that day. Players got a standing O as they left the field. I agree on SF I don't hate him. I don't even have a problem with him going after recruits he was working on. I do have a problem with those on commit list. But coaching and recruiting is a nasty business.

As did I. I was a great game and I came away feeling good about the Nebraska fans and UCF's team.

Was that the year we started off playing 3 really good teams and played them all extreamly tough. I remember being referred to the best 0-3 team in the nation one year. It was kind of a compliment at the time.

Was that the year we started off playing 3 really good teams and played them all extreamly tough. I remember being referred to the best 0-3 team in the nation one year. It was kind of a compliment at the time.

Yes..that was the year 1997! This is one of the reasons I never really bought into all the hype about GOL. Gene McDowell did a great job with far less. The thing that GOL did for us was give us more press and therefore recruits by having a big name associated with us. Even his resume scandal got us press. I will always feel that if McDowell had the talent that GOL year in and year out we would have been farther ahead. I can't prove it but it's my opinion.
"After only two seasons in Division I-A, UCF was already beginning to earn a reputation as a "scary" team on the road. Their near-misses against high-profile teams was in contrast to their predicted status as a mid-major, non-conference school. It started prompting some reluctance among larger schools of scheduling the Knights in future seasons". (wikipedia)

Sad the way it ended for him. Shows the weakness of the human condition in modern times. Self preservation above logic.

Yeah but Frost built UCF. [roll]*

We had the ingredients for some time. He just put it all together. It really helped that he brought Milton along with him. I think everyone needs to chill out and give Heupel some time to get his band together. They are coming together as we speak. We'll be good again next year just don't expect 12-0. That is always special. If it happens great!

We had the ingredients for some time. He just put it all together. It really helped that he brought Milton along with him. I think everyone needs to chill out and give Heupel some time to get his band together. They are coming together as we speak. We'll be good again next year just don't expect 12-0. That is always special. If it happens great!
Watching Heupel's offense in Mizz I think we pick up where we left off. If Shannon puts some toughness in our D then we will be a scary team again next year. If however we do struggle I will give Heupel the benefit of the doubt.

I think our offense will be even better, if that's possible. The guy clearly knows offense, his isn't much different and our guys will be a year more experienced. We'll get to test it against better defenses in Pitt and UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT