ADVERTISEMENT

UCFast?

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
I believe the bigger question during the off season is "Is UCFast a good enough offense for UCF to win?" rather than just talking about the perceived lack of talent on the team. The changes on defense have proved themselves worthy. But what is lacking with UCFast?

1. The refs can't keep up with the pace the offense wants to run and keep slowing the game down. How do you get past this one?

2. The defenses we played never seemed to be overwhelmed by our attempts at playing fast. If going fast isn't an advantage what does this offense buy us?

3. There were times in the past where we would use more beef on the OL through blocking TEs when other teams were overwhelming our OL. Are blocking TEs out of the question with this offense? Can we use bigger OL players (we have them on our team)?

4. There seemed to be only two running plays used by our offense this past game. Are there more running plays then the end around and the off tackle run to the right?

5. The short passing game was focused on throwing the ball to either sideline. Aren't there other short pass routes that we can run (WR slants/TE hooks/crossing patterns, etc.)?

6. The QBs practice throwing the ball on the run. Is this meant only for when you're running for your life or does this offense use roll outs and other running pass plays?

Personnel discussions will abound during the off season but this is a bigger issue. Certainly, by the end of the season we should have seen most of the playbook being used on the field. If we did, then I'm very concerned about our new offense.

1. The refs can't keep up with the pace the offense wants to run and keep slowing the game down. How do you get past this one?

2. The defenses we played never seemed to be overwhelmed by our attempts at playing fast. If going fast isn't an advantage what does this offense buy us?

3. There were times in the past where we would use more beef on the OL through blocking TEs when other teams were overwhelming our OL. Are blocking TEs out of the question with this offense? Can we use bigger OL players (we have them on our team)?

4. There seemed to be only two running plays used by our offense this past game. Are there more running plays then the end around and the off tackle run to the right?

5. The short passing game was focused on throwing the ball to either sideline. Aren't there other short pass routes that we can run (WR slants/TE hooks/crossing patterns, etc.)?

6. The QBs practice throwing the ball on the run. Is this meant only for when you're running for your life or does this offense use roll outs and other running pass plays?

Personnel discussions will abound during the off season but this is a bigger issue. Certainly, by the end of the season we should have seen most of the playbook being used on the field. If we did, then I'm very concerned about our new offense.

The only time refs will prevent a snap from taking place is when the offense makes a substitution...as the new rules state that the defense has to have time to make their own substitutions.

As long as the chains are set...if the offense doesn't substitute, refs usually just place the ball down for play and teams move on.

Earlier in the season...UCF would have plays called even prior to the D being set...but sometimes...UCF O wouldn't substitute...would line up..then look toward the sidelines where the coaches would read the D, then send in the play...sometimes to positive results...as many teams use that type of philosophy as its stops the D from substituting...but gives the O a few moments to catch their breath, plus, coaches read the D to hopefully call the right play.

Forget with ESPN Show it was the other day...but a former NFL player asked his son playing college ball what all the silly poster/cards on the sideline were...and the player noted...it usually meant offensive formation, play call, defensive set....and the NFL player asked "but doesn't the QB read the defense?" and the son said "No...most don't know how to anymore in college".

That's because we couldn't move the chains and also learning a new system. Next year should get faster.

Honestly I don't think it would have mattered because of the holes that defenders created to be in the Milton's face within a few seconds. I'm pretty sure in this offense TEs are used as receivers instead of blockers.

Their dline was murdering us up front, no where to go but outside and that's where they want to drive the RB as it keeps him moving upfield. GOL actually didn't care and kept pounding it up the middle in the old days.

I'm going to bet Frost realized Milton didn't have enough zip on his pass for these types of passes and multiple times I've seen him throw short routes inside that put the WR's safety in jeopardy. Eventually someone is going to be put out of the game with a serious injury.

In Theory the QB in this offense should be throwing on the run as part of the offense. The offense is predicated on being able to move around quickly and efficiently, inexperience and depth killed us.

We just seemed so out of sink on offense out there forgetting all the other complaints true or false that have been made. This was very discouraging considering it was our 13th game of the season and that this offense looked much better earlier in the year. I still struggle with the offensive play calling and the OC will get a pass until blocking and QBing improve for now. I wonder if the offense continues to play like this into first half of next season, if Frost will take over play calling.

I still don't know why the Ref stood over the ball as our offense was set and the defense was shuffling players in and out. On top of this slow down, the game time was longer than any I've ever attended in MANY years (ie. 90 minutes for first quarter). How do you tire out your opponent when the refs are moving the game this slow?

Lastly, where were the 25 second clocks in the stadium displayed?

this board is more negative now than it was after 0-12
question_mark-351x300.jpg

let the man recruit his own players

We just seemed so out of sink on offense out there forgetting all the other complaints true or false that have been made. This was very discouraging considering it was our 13th game of the season and that this offense looked much better earlier in the year. I still struggle with the offensive play calling and the OC will get a pass until blocking and QBing improve for now. I wonder if the offense continues to play like this into first half of next season, if Frost will take over play calling.

I still don't know why the Ref stood over the ball as our offense was set and the defense was shuffling players in and out. On top of this slow down, the game time was longer than any I've ever attended in MANY years (ie. 90 minutes for first quarter). How do you tire out your opponent when the refs are moving the game this slow?

the clocks were way up on second level...........I asked the same thing! :)

PK, how could you not be upset with things after that cure bowl debacle? :)
I didn't like it but the team was barely bowl eligible at 6 wins & it's clear that it's still a flawed roster. After the USF game I rather focus on Recruiting vs getting too upset over a bottom tier Bowl game on a channel that no one watched

The only time refs will prevent a snap from taking place is when the offense makes a substitution...as the new rules state that the defense has to have time to make their own substitutions.

As long as the chains are set...if the offense doesn't substitute, refs usually just place the ball down for play and teams move on.

Earlier in the season...UCF would have plays called even prior to the D being set...but sometimes...UCF O wouldn't substitute...would line up..then look toward the sidelines where the coaches would read the D, then send in the play...sometimes to positive results...as many teams use that type of philosophy as its stops the D from substituting...but gives the O a few moments to catch their breath, plus, coaches read the D to hopefully call the right play.

Forget with ESPN Show it was the other day...but a former NFL player asked his son playing college ball what all the silly poster/cards on the sideline were...and the player noted...it usually meant offensive formation, play call, defensive set....and the NFL player asked "but doesn't the QB read the defense?" and the son said "No...most don't know how to anymore in college".

This is what they constantly say about QBs nowadays- they don't read defenses. I thought that too, until a read an overview of Frosts plan and got the idea that the QB does read a defense, just not as much or in the same way as they used to do. Is this true? Can anyone expand on this? It seems like analysis of anything these days is purely superficial and once 1 person says something, it's just parroted by every other talking head.

I didn't like it but the team was barely bowl eligible at 6 wins & it's clear that it's still a flawed roster. After the USF game I rather focus on Recruiting vs getting too upset over a bottom tier Bowl game on a channel that no one watched

This, plus Frost accomplished more in 1/2 season than FreeWillie did at usf in 2 entire years.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We were slow and couldn't do much because we don't have the players yet that can execute this offense. We have no QB (per say). Our OL stinks. Our WRs get very little separation (don't know if that is them or the routes....my guess is it's them because they are all so young and this offense is new). Hopefully we just get better because sometimes it's just getting the right people in and coached up to execute, and what once looked like a steaming pile of poop all of a sudden works well.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The guys who are calling the plays and get paid handsomely don't want to trust 20 year olds with their livelihoods.

My question is why the offense is called "read-option"? Except maybe 2 times this season did MM watch the DE to decide whether to hand it off or keep it himself!! It appeared to be decided in the huddle whether it was a hand off to the RB or QB keeper!?!?!? Is that inexperience by MM or Scott Frosts interpretation of the read-option?

Here's the college rule that fits the above scenario and happens in every game:

If the offensive team substitute players (even when clock is running), one official will stand over the ball till the defense gets a chance to substitute as well.

Thats one of the real benefits of a hurry up offense is when you DON'T substitute...is usually the defense won't have time to do the same.

Another version that works (maybe even more so...Frost tried it on a regular occurrence this year), is after a play, hurry up and line up (no substitutions), but then loo over to the bench...let the coaches send in poster board signals for line-up, shifts, read defense set up and play call.

25/40 second clocks were in the corners near 2nd level (not a good spot for any football game...but since the stadium doesn't have a football tenant, its really no big deal for one off games).

Central Florida needs to stop trying to make lame ass nicknames for standard football formations, plays and offenses. It is just pathetic and bush league

Nobody needs to be learning on the job.

We have no choice. Frost is the only coach with experience in the "Oregon Offense." It's not ideal, but also not unusual to have an offensive minded college head coach call the plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT