ADVERTISEMENT

UF looking for home and home...

You needed clarification. What trick play did they run? What was the T-shirt for that game if they won, Guess we know one answer and will never know the other. Why do I suspect, that they didn’t have one that said, “oh we beat Penn State in 2019.”

One more point then I am done, but I love this idea that running a trick play means it was a teams "SB". They were just trying to win the game. Trick plays aren't that uncommon.

No., since you bypassed every reason that I gave, that tells me that you just DON’T get it.
We were not Miami or Penn State. We were a team that didn’t lose a regular season game since November of 2016

Yes yes, they made a to shirt and ran a trick play, obviously the only game that mattered this year.

Nobody is saying it wasn't a big game, but saying it was their superbowl is just trying to find a way to justify the loss to either yourself or to others.

One more point then I am done, but I love this idea that running a trick play means it was a teams "SB". They were just trying to win the game. Trick plays aren't that uncommon.
Still don’t get it do you?? That was ONE of the reasons. You conveniently bypassed the others. Look.., you’re a pretty tough troll, but I just went 1-0 on you this week

Better luck next week

Yes yes, they made a to shirt and ran a trick play, obviously the only game that mattered this year.

Nobody is saying it wasn't a big game, but saying it was their superbowl is just trying to find a way to justify the loss to either yourself or to others.
You still don’t get it. We were 25-0! Was Miami? Virginia? Penn State? Nobody is using it as an excuse. Only you are

I think you are putting a lot of emphasis on a t-shirt, especially when there are tons of Pitt-Penn St rivalry t shirts. Regardless, I still don't know that UCF was a bigger game than Penn St, but whatever, agree to disagree. But I still think using the SB phrase is just making excuses for a loss.
I’m not making an excise why we lost. We lost I accept that. What I am doing is responding to a Pitt fan (my original post) who keeps coming over to a lowly G5 message board bragging about their win. I am also pointing out the fact that Pitt put more effort in to win our game than they did against their biggest rival and celebrated it with a shirt. Show me another P5 school who made a shirt commemorating a victory over a G5 school. Those are just the facts.

Reactions: ProAttitude
He just doesn’t get it. He’s taking the Super Bowl definition literally and can’t disprove or prove that this was possibly the most important game Pittsburgh played this year.
Even if it wasn’t, it was a special game with EXTRA motivation. Does that mean more motivation than UCF? Who knows? Probably.

An excuse? Nobody is saying that

Based on circumstances, Pittsburgh wanted that game and so did Cincinnati

He wasn’t there and he’s not 100% familiar with the circumstances leading up to it

They were EMBARRASSED last year

Your right trick plays happen all the time but when you don’t use it against your arch rival but instead save it for a G5 team and make a shirt commemorating it, that tells me something.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Your right trick plays happen all the time but when you don’t use it against your arch rival but instead save it for a G5 team and make a shirt commemorating it, that tells me something.

Did they have a chance to use it against PSU? I am honestly asking. But that idea isnt remotely true. You use plays you think will work. Maybe they didnt think PSU would be as susceptable to a trick play, you dont know what their reasoning was. They also werent on the goal line in the last seconds of the game PSU game, and that play isnt really build for a 30 + yard gain which is what they have needed late in the PSU game.

But regardless, I do think this whole thing is ridiculous. It was a big game, but the SB declaration is just an excuse and patting yourself on the back simultaneously. You guys were still in line for a NY6 bowl at that point, so this idea they had extra motivation but your team didnt is just strange. In reality, it was probably a bigger game for your team since they already had 2 losses and you were still hoping for an unbeaten season. Not to mention a win over a decent P5 team certainly would have meant something for you with regards to rankings and potential bowl placement.

The stretch run was just the Mets superbowl that year.

No they went on to win the Division, the NL and World Series so your analogy actually sucks.........gut wrenching for the Cubs and their fans

Did they have a chance to use it against PSU? I am honestly asking. But that idea isnt remotely true. You use plays you think will work. Maybe they didnt think PSU would be as susceptable to a trick play, you dont know what their reasoning was. They also werent on the goal line in the last seconds of the game PSU game, and that play isnt really build for a 30 + yard gain which is what they have needed late in the PSU game.

But regardless, I do think this whole thing is ridiculous. It was a big game, but the SB declaration is just an excuse and patting yourself on the back simultaneously. You guys were still in line for a NY6 bowl at that point, so this idea they had extra motivation but your team didnt is just strange. In reality, it was probably a bigger game for your team since they already had 2 losses and you were still hoping for an unbeaten season. Not to mention a win over a decent P5 team certainly would have meant something for you with regards to rankings and potential bowl placement.
It was 4th and goal from the 1 with like 3 minutes to go down by 7. They chose to attempt a 19 yard FG which would do them nothing. So yeah they had a chance to use it. They didn’t. They saved it for us and then printed a T-shirt.

You’re making an argument and you didn’t even watch the game. Stop talking about our teams motivation and know one cares about what you think. You have no idea what happened last year. Do you? You’re making assumptions based on no facts. It’s just an opinion and your opinion is worthless. Nobody is patting ourselves on the back and nobody is using it as an excuse. Only you. That’s why the whole argument is ridiculous

Who’s your team?

You’re making an argument and you didn’t even watch the game. Stop talking about our teams motivation and know one cares about what you think. You have no idea what happened last year. Do you? You’re making assumptions based on no facts. It’s just an opinion and your opinion is worthless. Nobody is patting ourselves on the back and nobody is using it as an excuse. Only you. That’s why the whole argument is ridiculous

Who’s your team?

I do know what happened last year, UCF beat them badly. But, Penn State beat them 51-6 as well, so they didnt have extra motivation for that one too? Or maybe that was just their pro bowl.

I am not talking about your teams motivation. I am sure your team was motivated, but you are the one bringing up motivation, and the only way your argument works is if you pretend your team wasnt as motivated. I dont think that is the case, I think you just got beat by a team who made 1 more play than you did. I am sure both teams were motivated. There are big games all throughout the season, and that was a big game too, but yes, I think you are over selling it in an attempt to try and justify that you lost. And I love you say I am making assumptions, while your entire argument is based on an assumption because of a trick play and t shirt.

I am a Gator fan, I have said that many times on this board. I dont see what that has to do with this conversation though.

It was 4th and goal from the 1 with like 3 minutes to go down by 7. They chose to attempt a 19 yard FG which would do them nothing. So yeah they had a chance to use it. They didn’t. They saved it for us and then printed a T-shirt.

Dude come on. You very well know they didnt specifically not call a play against Penn St because they were saving it for the next week, just in case they were in a game winning situation at the goal line with basically no time left. You are almost acting as if they treated the Penn St game as an exhibition just to warm up for UCF, which is not remotely the case.

There were 5 minutes left when they attempted the FG and they got the ball back. To say it would have done nothing simply isnt true. Dont get me wrong, I would have gone for the TD, but if they hit the FG and get the ball back (which the did get the ball back) then a TD wins instead of ties. Also consider they had just been stopped 3 times from the 1. Coaches make decisions for a variety of reasons, and after being stopped 3 times it is more than possible they just didnt have the confidence to get the TD, and felt the FG was the better play at that time. You can disagree with the decision, as I do, but you cant say it would have done them nothing. Your game, the FG wasnt an option because there was less than a minute and would have also then had to recover an onside kick to have any sort of chance. You are trying to compare the situations in each of these games, but they werent the same situations. 5 minutes on the clock still gives them a chance to win even with kicking the FG. In your game they obviously had to come up with something to get the TD.

Regardless, if you want to consider it Pitt's superbowl, more power to you, but the idea a trick play and a T shirt proves that is just nonsense, especially when there are plenty of Pitt-Penn State t shirts out in the world as well.

Last edited:
I'm glad we have Gators here to explain our losses to us in such detail. It's been so long with just winning that the whole thing is still very confusing for us.

Thank you for being our big brother, cubs87 and showing us the ways of the world. We are a better, more educated message board family for it.

Dude come on. You very well know they didnt specifically not call a play against Penn St because they were saving it for the next week, just in case they were in a game winning situation at the goal line with basically no time left. You are almost acting as if they treated the Penn St game as an exhibition just to warm up for UCF, which is not remotely the case.

There were 5 minutes left when they attempted the FG and they got the ball back. To say it would have done nothing simply isnt true. Dont get me wrong, I would have gone for the TD, but if they hit the FG and get the ball back (which the did get the ball back) then a TD wins instead of ties. Also consider they had just been stopped 3 times from the 1. Coaches make decisions for a variety of reasons, and after being stopped 3 times it is more than possible they just didnt have the confidence to get the TD, and felt the FG was the better play at that time. You can disagree with the decision, as I do, but you cant say it would have done them nothing. Your game, the FG wasnt an option because there was less than a minute and would have also then had to recover an onside kick to have any sort of chance. You are trying to compare the situations in each of these games, but they werent the same situations. 5 minutes on the clock still gives them a chance to win even with kicking the FG. In your game they obviously had to come up with something to get the TD.

Regardless, if you want to consider it Pitt's superbowl, more power to you, but the idea a trick play and a T shirt proves that is just nonsense, especially when there are plenty of Pitt-Penn State t shirts out in the world as well.
Look we can argue the merits of kicking a 19 yard FG all you want but the fact of the matter is even if you go for the TD and don’t make it. It is Penn State’s ball on the half yard line instead of the 20. That alone changes the game. The fact they made that call being a huge underdog on the road against their arch rival with nothing to lose and with a known trick play on their back pocket says a lot.

As far as the shirt goes yes there are a ton of Penn State / Pitt shirts out there. There should be. That game is huge. We are just a lowly G5 school who deserves nothing and has no place in college football. We are inferior to anyone in the P5. Just ask them. So to make a shirt commemorating the fact you did something, that by most people’s definition you should have done anyway, says they had our game circled on the schedule. Then to break out a trick play against us, basically eliminating that play from being used again the rest of then year, tells me this game meant more to them than anyone they have played or will pay to date.

On a side note are you as excited as I am that David Ross is the new Cubs Skipper?

Look we can argue the merits of kicking a 19 yard FG all you want but the fact of the matter is even if you go for the TD and don’t make it. It is Penn State’s ball on the half yard line instead of the 20. That alone changes the game. The fact they made that call being a huge underdog on the road against their arch rival with nothing to lose and with a known trick play on their back pocket says a lot.

As far as the shirt goes yes there are a ton of Penn State / Pitt shirts out there. There should be. That game is huge. We are just a lowly G5 school who deserves nothing and has no place in college football. We are inferior to anyone in the P5. Just ask them. So to make a shirt commemorating the fact you did something, that by most people’s definition you should have done anyway, says they had our game circled on the schedule. Then to break out a trick play against us, basically eliminating that play from being used again the rest of then year, tells me this game meant more to them than anyone they have played or will pay to date.

On a side note are you as excited as I am that David Ross is the new Cubs Skipper?

I like Ross, but it his lack of managing/coaching experience worries me a little, but hopefully it works out, he is certainly a likeable guy that is easy to root for.

... What I am doing is responding to a Pitt fan (my original post) who keeps coming over to a lowly G5 message board ...
That's because even historically-heavy Sagarin ratings have the AAC above the ACC. Yeah, that means the ACC has sucked for 3-5 years now. Even the Big 10 has one division that isn't much higher, and the PAC-12 is 'on notice.'

All because the 'new' Big East (AAC) is far better than the 'old,' with far more teams getting AP Top 25 votes, and a far better record against AP Top 10 teams in BCS/NY6 Bowl Games than their prior BCS games after mid last decade.

Pitt fans are in denial that the conference that rose from the ashes of the one they left, is now better than the conference they joined. Same with those programs that were part of the prior move, like Miami.

If we did add them we’d instantly be P6 though.
We'd be P4 or even P3. Because, right now, it's not P5. It's really P1.5+Clemson, maybe P2.5+Clemson, based on how the Big XII is doing.

The ACC has a losing record to the AAC the last 3 years, the PAC-12 is 1-6 against the AAC the last 3 years, and one division of the Big 10 sucks to the point the AAC West is better. The AAC has a single (1) loss against non-P5 right now (Buffalo over Temple), and is undefeated against C-USA, SunBelt and MWC (just that 1 loss to a MAC team -- kinda a fluke too).

This 'G5' is getting old, when the AAC is better than the Big East it replaced. Nothing against the MWC, but when the bottom half of the AAC can beat the top half of the MWC teams, they aren't in the same league. Boise would still be excellent in the AAC, but others ... not so much. And Boise still hasn't gone undefeated in the MWC since joining (although they are as of right now).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT