ADVERTISEMENT

UNC marked as a top 10 “Wildcard” team

BlakNGoldAllDay

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 21, 2016
Tough road but here’s the synopsis of them.

NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
9546213.jpg

(Photo: Jim Hawkins, Inside Carolina)
Simmons' take: "Is anyone equipped to challenge Clemson in the ACC? North Carolina may be a year or two away from that, but Sam Howell offers up some potential to get the Tar Heels working ahead of schedule. Two wildcard scenarios come to mind: 1. Carolina gets hot at the right time, wins the coastal and finishes the job it couldn’t last season against Clemson. 2. UNC starts out hot, beats UCF and Auburn in the non-conference and then with an ACC schedule remaining, all bets are off."

The word: The ACC is begging for a worthy co-elite alongside Dabo Swinney's program at the top of the league and the Tar Heels fit the bill based on returning talent, a top-flight quarterback and a head coach who appears rejuvenated. Things could spiral south however if North Carolina loses two seismic non-conference games in September.

Also preseason rankings by 247. 19-25.

NO. 19 NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
9794124.jpg

(Photo: G Fiume, Getty)
Returning Production: 18th

This is the program with the best chance to jump from fringe bowl team to divisional contender. Having freshman record-setter Sam Howell is the biggest plus in the North Carolina’s favor. He’s the type of passer who can elevate a program. The Tar Heels also bring back 17 starters, including 10 on offense. Another thing working in UNC’s favor? All six of its losses last season were by a possession or fewer. Those games won’t all go against the Tar Heels next year. What’s working against UNC? The Tar Heels have a brutal slate to open the year: UCF, Auburn and James Madison that could derail the campaign before the momentum can truly start rolling. Mack Brownhas jumpstarted this program quickly, the ACC Coastal is, as always, there for the taking.

NO. 20 UCF KNIGHTS
9454988.jpg

UCF QB Dillon Gabriel (Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)
Returning Production: 38th

UCF fatigue kicked in last year once the Knights’ unbeaten streak came to an end against Pittsburgh. But this still a team that won 10 games and finished second nationally behind LSU, averaging 540.5 yards per game. The quarterback who spearheaded that effort, Dillon Gabriel, should actually be better in 2020 entering his sophomore season. It certainly helps Gabriel that seven starters return around him, including receivers Tre Nixon (830 yards, 7 TDs) and Marlon Williams(717 yards, 6 TDs). A stat that may surprise you? The Knights, built on explosive offenses, finished fifth nationally in yards allowed per play. Eight starters off that stellar unit return, including standout defensive tackle Kenny Turnier (13.5 TFLs) and all-conference safety Antuwan Collier (74 tackles, 4 INTs). UCF vs. North Carolina to open the season is going to be a heck of a lot of fun.

NO. 21 ARIZONA STATE SUN DEVILS

Returning Production: 72nd

Think of Arizona State as the West Coast version of North Carolina. Both teams are legit sleepers in their divisions largely thanks to the presence of their promising sophomore quarterback. In this case it’s Jayden Daniels, who threw for 2,943 yards and 17 touchdowns against just 2 INTs last season. The Sun Devils are loading up around Daniels offensively. Their 2020 offensive skill talent class (Daniyel Ngata, Johnny Wilson, Elijhah Badger, LB Bunkley-Shelton) is sick, and they went heavy in the transfer portal to beef up an o-line that struggled last year. The defense should improve despite the departure of coordinator Danny Gonzales (took over as New Mexico’s head coach) thanks to the return of eight starters. Antonio Pierce (a Super Bowl winner) and Marvin Lewis (a long-time NFL head coach) take over as co-coordinators on the defensive side of the ball. The Sun Devils will need to survive trips to USC and Oregon.

T-NO. 22 TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS

Returning Production: 50th

There’s a decent chance Tennessee is the team we overhype greatly thanks to a late-season push. Still, it’s hard to ignore a six-game win streak to end the season and the team’s rising talent (and competency) level. The Vols bring back 17 starters, including the core of a young defense that allowed just 15.5 points per game during their season-ending win streak. Quarterback is a bit of a question for Tennessee, though Jarrett Guarantano played well over the team’s final six games. Finding replacements for Marquez Callaway and Jauan Jennings at receiver will be critical. We’ll know plenty about the Vols by the end of September with games with Oklahoma and Florida on the docket.

T-NO. 22 UTAH UTES

90COMMENTS
Returning Production: 130th

Utah was a controversial team in 247Sports’ preseason poll. Six people left Utah off their ballot while two included them in the top 20. There is plenty to like about this team. First, the schedule is favorable. USC and Arizona State are the only teams on their slate that came close to cracking this Top 25. Utah also draws USC and Washington at home. Kyle Whittingham has produced six straight teams that have won at least seven games – five of those campaigns resulted in win totals of nine or more. Whittingham is a proven talent producer and developer. Thing is … almost all of last season’s playoff-worthy defense is gone with nine starters departing. The offense fares better with seven starters back, but that doesn’t include Tyler Huntley, one of the nation’s most efficient passers. All eyes are on South Carolina transfer quarterback Jake Bentley this fall. The Utes need him to return to his freshman year form if they hope to remain atop the Pac-12 South.

NO. 24 VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES

Returning Production: 6th

The Hokies are coming off an 8-5 season and return 18 starters from a unit that made drastic strides late last season after a disastrous September. Things are looking up again for Justin Fuente in Blacksburg. Hendon Hookertaking a step in Year 2 as the starter is a must. Hooker was efficient last year (13 TDs, 2 INTs), but the Hokies need him to continue that with increased responsibility. The defense should be good, Bud Foster or not. Almost the entire unit is back and elevated DC Justin Hamiltongives a top 40 defense some continuity. The Hokies’ secondary should be a among the best in the country with star cornerback Caleb Farley leading the way.

NO. 25 CINCINNATI BEARCATS

Returning Production: 31st

The Bearcats cemented themselves as an AAC mainstay last season under Luke Fickell, producing an 11-win season for the second straight year. Fourteen starters are back from that team, including eight off a defense that finished 31st nationally in yards allowed per play. The loss of star linebacker Bryan Wright(99 tackles, 14.5 TFLs) hurts, but there are several All-AAC caliber players on this unit, including defensive tackle Elijah Ponder, linebacker Jarrell White and cornerback Ahmad Gardner. Finding an offensive pace setter is in question after star running back Michael Warren left for the NFL. Quarterback Desmond Ridder is back for his junior season, but his completion percentage needs to return to 2018 levels (62.4%) instead of what he produced a season ago (55.1%). Don’t be shocked if four-star quarterback Evan Praterpushes his way into the conversation this fall. He’s the kind of talent who can raise Cincinnati’s offensive ceiling

UNC probably deserves it but every year the media hypes up programs that had 7 a win season the year before and ends up unranked. Is UNC the Nebraska of last year?

Tough road but here’s the synopsis of them.

NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
9546213.jpg

(Photo: Jim Hawkins, Inside Carolina)
Simmons' take: "Is anyone equipped to challenge Clemson in the ACC? North Carolina may be a year or two away from that, but Sam Howell offers up some potential to get the Tar Heels working ahead of schedule. Two wildcard scenarios come to mind: 1. Carolina gets hot at the right time, wins the coastal and finishes the job it couldn’t last season against Clemson. 2. UNC starts out hot, beats UCF and Auburn in the non-conference and then with an ACC schedule remaining, all bets are off."

The word: The ACC is begging for a worthy co-elite alongside Dabo Swinney's program at the top of the league and the Tar Heels fit the bill based on returning talent, a top-flight quarterback and a head coach who appears rejuvenated. Things could spiral south however if North Carolina loses two seismic non-conference games in September.

UNC is underated!!

Remember they lost to Clemson last year 20-21, because they went for 2 on a late 4th quarter TD and missed. Also, they return 17 starters, 10 on offense!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us and make a run for the ACC title, trust me we cannot sleep on them or they will whoop us.

This isn't the UNC from the past 10 years, this is a legitimate top 10-15 team. They are as good as our Louisville, South Carolina, Auburn, Baylor, LSU in previous years

Last edited:
Reactions: Endeavor.
UNC is underated!!

Remember they lost to Clemson last year 20-21, because they went for 2 on a late 4th quarter TD and missed. Also, they return 17 starters, 10 on offense!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us and make a run for the ACC title, trust me we cannot sleep on them or they will whoop us.

This isn'tthe UNC from the past 10 years, this is a legitimate top 10-15 team. They are as good as our Louisville, South Carolina, Auburn, Baylor, LSU in previous years
Top 10? I doubt it. Us , Auburn, Va Tech, and Pitt. If they win 3 of those 4 maybe. Then would play Clemson. 2 or 3 losses get them top 10. Bowl game too.

Top 10? I doubt it. Us , Auburn, Va Tech, and Pitt. If they win 3 of those 4 maybe. Then would play Clemson. 2 or 3 losses get them top 10. Bowl game too.
Just looked. Have to have 2 losses at the most. Won’t happen. I hope we are their only loss but I’m willing to bet Auburn, Clemson and their Bowl game they lose as well. 4 losses.

Tenneessee @ 22? They couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Keep that SEC love flowing...Are the Canes on that list too?

Happy the UNC game is at home. Hope the stadium is packed, loud , and rocking.

I just think all signs are pointing to no fans in the stands, at least to begin the season. We lose our home field advantage for this game unfortunately. :-(

Watched them a couple of times last year. QB looked very good for a true freshman playing. Glad the game is at home.

What’s their weakness?
Firstly, let me agree with you that UNC will be a good and much improved team this year. They have excellent skill players.

However, they had issues in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They gave up lots of big plays on defense and that bodes well for UCF as we are an explosive offense.

UNC did recruit well to try to shore up the trenches. However, since we get them at the beginning of the season, and with the lack of spring ball, that limits how much those freshmen will be acclimated enough to stop our big play offense.

In regard to their offense, their Oline had some holes. If they are still struggling with protection, our DBs should be able to minimize the big play production of their WRs.

Firstly, let me agree with you that UNC will be a good and much improved team this year. They have excellent skill players.

However, they had issues in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They gave up lots of big plays on defense and that bodes well for UCF as we are an explosive offense.

UNC did recruit well to try to shore up the trenches. However, since we get them at the beginning of the season, and with the lack of spring ball, that limits how much those freshmen will be acclimated enough to stop our big play offense.

In regard to their offense, their Oline had some holes. If they are still struggling with protection, our DBs should be able to minimize the big play production of their WRs.
I always appreciate someone who can shed light on details like this as I’ve never played and am just a fan, so thanks for this.

As a follow up question, why do you think our OLine wasn’t good this past season? Is it something like their mechanics are bad, they’re not big enough, play calling is bad, etc? And how do we improve for 2020? I don’t know enough to figure this out myself.

Reactions: ahabmw
I always appreciate someone who can shed light on details like this as I’ve never played and am just a fan, so thanks for this.

As a follow up question, why do you think our OLine wasn’t good this past season? Is it something like their mechanics are bad, they’re not big enough, play calling is bad, etc? And how do we improve for 2020? I don’t know enough to figure this out myself.
The quotes after the Pitt and Cincy games were that the OL wasn’t communicating properly and therefore couldn’t block three guys with five OLinemen

Please share the statistics that you are basing your premise upon regarding the Oline and I will then comment on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT