ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Heupels recruiting :(

Patience. It's not fair to compare what Frost did to Heup's situation. In the previous two years, Frost could offer early playing time to nearly everyone. Now we have excellent starters at most every skill position who were only Freshmen and Sophomores this year. Even Frost didn't have any new skill guys lined up for this year, except tight ends. More than anything else, what we really need to do this off season is 1.)hold on to the guys we have committed; 2.) develop those who redshirted (Maxwell, Jones, Thompson, Zio, Schneider, Cholewa, etc.) and 3.) seamlessly work in the transfers who will be awesome if incorporated into our schemes properly.

Yes, we will get a few more commits before all is said and done in February. But that will not have nearly the impact as developing what we already have. Why? Because this year is very different for us. We already have high impact players with 2-3 years remaining. It is much tougher this year for us to attract impact level talent because now they can look at our depth chart and see that they may not play for 2-3 years. That should change dramatically for us come next year, where more positions will show opportunity. Let's face it, it is hard to stockpile impact players in the AAC. Guys figure they might as well go to the P5 if they may have to wait 2-3 years at a G5. (a one year wait seems to be understandable, no matter where they are going). Just saying.

Remember, even Frost had a ton of decommits in the last 4--6 weeks last year (to Ga. Tech, Kentucky, Baylor and others). He just replaced them in the last 10 days or so. Let's give Heup a chance before we throw him under the bus.

Last edited:
YN2t3UP.jpg

Patience. It's not fair to compare what Frost did to Heup's situation. In the previous two years, Frost could offer early playing time to nearly everyone. Now we have excellent starters at most every skill position who were only Freshmen and Sophomores this year. Even Frost didn't have any new skill guys lined up for this year, except tight ends. More than anything else, what we really need to do this off season is 1.)hold on to the guys we have committed; 2.) develop those who redshirted (Maxwell, Jones, Thompson, Zio, Schneider, Cholewa, etc.) and 3.) seamlessly work in the transfers who will be awesome if incorporated into our schemes properly.

Yes, we will get a few more commits before all is said and done in February. But that will not have nearly the impact as developing what we already have. Why? Because this year is very different for us. We already have high impact players with 2-3 years remaining. It is much tougher this year for us to attract impact level talent because now they can look at our depth chart and see that they may not play for 2-3 years. That should change dramatically for us come next year, where more positions will show opportunity. Let's face it, it is hard to stockpile impact players in the AAC. Guys figure they might as well go to the P5 if they may have to wait 2-3 years at a G5. (a one year wait seems to be understandable, no matter where they are going). Just saying.

Remember, even Frost had a ton of decommits in the last 4--6 weeks last year (to Ga. Tech, Kentucky, Baylor and others). He just replaced them in the last 10 days or so. Let's give Heup a chance before we throw him under the bus.

I get all that but until there starts to be results while our class falls apart Heup is going to get questioned. Right now Charlie Strong and UWCF is on pace to have the best class in the AAC.

Without addressing the validity of your statements, those players still weren't top recruits from the Miami Dade area. The reality is, with Richt getting the Miami program moving in the right direction for the first time is a very long time, it just got a lot harder for everyone else to recruit south Florida

Not necessarily so..... look at your own your own statement, we don't typically compete for top recruits. Last year Miami recruited ten 4 stars to UCFs one. For the most part, we aren't competing for the same talent. With only one 4 star UCF still had the highest ranked G5 recruiting class.

Yes. Might as well rally behind Heupel. Funny that he basically stole 2 tight ends which is our weakest position right now. So.., 2 guys from the same position.

Yes. Might as well rally behind Heupel. Funny that he basically stole 2 tight ends which is our weakest position right now. So.., 2 guys from the same position.
That's because it's in his best interest for UCF to have a drop off in the upcoming years as

1) reinforces his influence and success

And

2) provides a landing spot when he's fired by the little red after 4 years of further sucking as NO is known to do

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I doubt McGriff ends up doing much, his offer list is short despite his height for a reason. That other TE that decommited from Atlanta if I recall will end up being better

Reactions: Mikesi
I doubt McGriff ends up doing much, his offer list is short despite his height for a reason. That other TE that decommited from Atlanta if I recall will end up being better
Looking at Nebraska’s recruit list, the UCF flips are some of their weakest. He did get the injured QB and Tre’Quan’s brother, but if I was Nebraska, I wouldn’t be coming over here gloating.

I get all that but until there starts to be results while our class falls apart Heup is going to get questioned. Right now Charlie Strong and UWCF is on pace to have the best class in the AAC.
We are a long way from recruiting season finishing. But I can't fathom why ANY recruit would want to play at uwcf after seeing their attendance during their "best season in history". That school is straight up ghetto, and even their HC doesn't like it there.

The class isn’t “falling apart”. Heupel has been on the scene under 2 weeks and doesn’t have established relationships with the type of players who would be considering UCF since he has been in the SEC. The early signing period may not look good, but I will withhold judgement until February. Worrying about frost “flipping” his own recruits who he has probably been working to go to Nebraska with him for months (G5 to a P5) os a bit easier than convincing a Missouri commit to leave the SEC for UCF.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
He needed to promote Walters. It would’ve been Walters, Beckton, Shannon and Corey Bell recruiting. Instead he overthought it and hired a dude wo the cool factor in Heupel who can’t seem to recruit worth a damn. Smh*

Walters isn’t good on social media. Me thinks that Frost took a designer. We just have to find another one. Full sail is up the street, not concerned.

and Poolside,you/we have every reason to question what is going on. We are all vested in this team, year in and year out. But I am only saying let us all be reasonable in what we say or expect.

Your mention of the USF is a good example of what I am pointing out:

Yes, the Bull-daggers may have a good recruiting class this year.. but there is a reason. They now have plenty of holes, as they graduated a ton of Senior starters this year and can offer a chance to compete for immediate playing time... just like we did over the past two years. This year for them, players including Flowers, Valdez-Scantling, Dedrion Senat, Augie Sanchez, D'Ernest Johnson, Darius Tice, Deatrick Nichols, Tajee Fulwood, Devin Abraham and a few others were all Seniors in 2017 and depart. So, of course, they can recruit a lot of talent this year. However, regardless of who they recruit, we certainly should not be worrying about a squad that has to replace that many parts at the same time in 2018.

With lots of new Freshmen and Sophomores in new roles, they will try to keep up with us in the AAC East. But they won't do it because we have impact players already in place who will only get better with experience, while we also sprinkle in even more talent through transers, redshirt freshmen and improved schemes and conditioning with existing impact players. Our future is very strong to repeat in the East and return to the CCG.

I bet Heupel is one of those tireless worker types. Sleeps 5-6 hours, spends 1-3 hours with family, 15-18 hours recruiting, hiring and meeting with players and spends <5 minutes a day on Twitter.

Agreed. But I like Bellamy as well... although he was rated lower than the other two. He has good agility and, although he played QB, he enjoys being physical. His QB experience gives him good ball handling skills.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
That's kinda what I'm thinking. He has a totally different style (don't we all), but at the end of the day, he will get the job done well.
Don’t you all worry. I want the guy who blows off the gym (that’s 5-10 hours a week that can be spent on football), doesn’t have a newborn and a young wife, grabs a Big Mac, fries, and large Coke or coffee for the car ride, and gets up at 5:30 AM as a kid to ride with his dad to work who was a DB coach.

I don’t want the guy who’s all buff, waits on line at WAWA and sleeps with Lawrence Phillips ex-GF.

What I’m saying basically is that you can interpret JH vs SF in 2 ways. Let’s give the guy a chance

I bet Heupel is one of those tireless worker types. Sleeps 5-6 hours, spends 1-3 hours with family, 15-18 hours recruiting, hiring and meeting with players and spends <5 minutes a day on Twitter.
He needs to up his Twitter game, that I can tell you.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I remember this same kind of talk last year, every time a couple of recruits would jump ship.

Truth be told, we already have the best incoming class in the AAC and its guaranteed. Because the best part of our incoming class is already on campus and enrolled (see #2 below):

1. With 12 commits who average .8418, we have the 2nd highest average ranking in the AAC, Forget that other teams have a higher total b/c they added 7 or 8 extra 2* and low 3*'s to their class. Those extra low ranked players often stand on the sidelines and that gets no sacks or first downs.

2. Nobody else in the AAC has transfers coming in from the likes of:
a.) Oregon, 5***** DL,
b.) Notre Dame, 300 lb OL, high 3***,
c.) Alabama, hi 3*** CB (lockdown coverage and sound run support)
d) Wisconsin, former 4**** TE, 6'7", 250 lbs.

Add these 4 to our class and we already have 16 new scholarship athletes incoming in 2018 with an average of probably around .8600, which is plenty of firepower to make an even stronger impact in the AAC in 2018.

Of course this doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels and stop recruiting. But it certainly indicates that we have no need to panic.

Last edited:
Overthinking it is the perfect word for it , DW thinks that he found the next O genius but x&os mean nothing if you suck at recruiting

Frost got Killins his first weekend selling an 0-12 Program
We must be rewriting history again. Killins was a relatively unknown recruit. He was a 3 star guy with mostly G5 offers. Trust me the UM offer was not committable. Can we let the class shake out first?

He’s not going inside McDonald’s. He’s been too busy for that. He’s just briefly stopping at the drive-through and eating in his car on the way to recruiting visits. That’s how Heup rolls

That's why he always smells like fries.

Someone made a good point on Heup's tweet that perhaps things are quiet intentionally dye to Frost and Co. being in town. Perhaps we just don't want to tip them off on who we're recruiting.

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Someone made a good point on Heup's tweet that perhaps things are quiet intentionally dye to Frost and Co. being in town. Perhaps we just don't want to tip them off on who we're recruiting.
This. Great observation. They are smarter than the fans, thank God

Why are you guys being mean to Hype? Seems like a good dude that understands football at a high level. I think he is going to be very successful here and he can remember the name of the school he coaches for.

At the end of the day you have to look like you belong in the P-5. Everyone seems to forget that Louisville had a $88 million dollar athletic budget before they got the ACC invite. UCF has got to figure out how to get our $60 million budget around $80 million within the next 5 years. Can be done if the Alumni will buy in.

UCF is still a young school. We didn't start to become a big school until 98-2002. Most of our alumni now have preteens and teenagers at home. I heard the average donation amount for that fund we started was under $250. That means the majority of UCF alumni will start to have real donation money over the next 5-10 years as their kids leave the house. There are very few second generation students at our school (my wife and I are though ;) ). So most of our alumni are just now sharing their love of UCF with their kids. I have faith that in 5-10 years we will start to grow our donations really quick as parents start buying more season tickets just to see their kids.

Reactions: SADUCFKNIGHT17
Louisville is definitely not the way to raise money (which has be shown to be partly illegal) so not the model we need to follow. DW is raising money like hot cakes so we just need time.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Louisville is definitely not the way to raise money (which has be shown to be partly illegal) so not the model we need to follow. DW is raising money like hot cakes so we just need time.
He’s getting commitments for $...we’ll see if checks actually come in!

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT