ADVERTISEMENT

Use of N-words: Bill Maher v. John Schnatter (Papa Johns)

What would her damages be for him using that word on his show?

It's not. She works at an entertainment agency that Maher is a major shareholder in; she tried to lead an internal push to have Maher punished (fired) for using the N word, got other black colleagues to join, and was subsequently punished herself and ultimately fired for doing it. It's really a suit against ATTN: but it revolves around Maher using the N word and facing no consequences.

It's not. She works at an entertainment agency that Maher is a major shareholder in; she tried to lead an internal push to have Maher punished (fired) for using the N word, got other black colleagues to join, and was subsequently punished herself and ultimately fired for doing it. It's really a suit against ATTN: but it revolves around Maher using the N word and facing no consequences.
Ah. Damn I hate our civil court system.

Who's 'audience' though? And how does that work out for Barr, a comedian who didn't even use the N word?

Barr's audience was much larger than Maher's. A small audience that agrees with your slant will give you wiggle room, ie. Rush Limbuagh.

Because of their inconsistent and often hypocritical positions, SJWs eventually end up eating their own.

Barr's audience was much larger than Maher's. A small audience that agrees with your slant will give you wiggle room, ie. Rush Limbuagh.
I'm not sure you're comparing apples to oranges there. I think it has more to do with the tolerance of the avenue involved, radio v. pay TV v. broadcast TV.

I'll be the first to admit that radio media is far, far more tolerant of conservative ideas. Limbaugh is an outstanding example, because he's one of the biggest hypocrites of the conservatives. Limbaugh v. Maher is an interesting study, because Limbaugh can be critical of conservatives, just like Maher can be critical of liberals, while they both display neo-con and progressive tendencies (and outlandish hypocrisy), which is why I cannot stand either.

Now in radio, liberals (and progressives) also have plenty of support too -- even though it's less of an avenue for them. Traditionally -- before Fox News went conservative (early '00s) -- visual media tended to be a more sensationalist avenue for liberal imagery, where audio media tended to be a more sensationalist avenue for office class 9-to-5 types.

Fox News changed a lot, and one can even say the end of the Obama administration wasn't good for Fox's ratings ... just like Trump has been outstanding for the broadcast news (let alone social media).

Now I do think broadcast TV is anti-conservative, other than sports, where it may be more pro-conservative (although not as much of a differentiate). But yes, broadcast TV has the highest number of viewers. I'll admit that.

Cable and Pay TV varies greatly. Maher's survival is an interesting one in that regard. And he long headed up a show called "Politically Incorrect." So he does get more lee-way, I have to admit that (still think he was extremely insensitive with his N-word use, regardless of context).

But I was more interested in "where the line is."

I think people twisted what Schnatter said, because -- from the often-quoted Forbes article -- he was openingly complaining about being compared to people who used the N-word regularly, just because of his NFL comment. In that regard, I have to agree with Schnatter, he is nothing like a lot of CEOs, some that even still use similar comments.

We can even go back to the NBA banning/sale of an owner too, but in his case, he had a documented history of racism. I'm coming up short on Schnatter. I'm looking for another article that says more and exposes more, that some of the history of Schnatter.

I mean, I too -- even Gen-X in the '70s -- remember the N-word being thrown around in the mid-west at a single digit age. That doesn't mean I agree with it, much less I never used it myself. It's just that I grew up with it, and I was one of the few who never used it.

So, again, looking for more on what Schnatter has actually said -- because the Forbes source doesn't say much at all.

I'll be the first to admit that radio media is far, far more tolerant of conservative ideas. Limbaugh is an outstanding example, because he's one of the biggest hypocrites of the conservatives. Limbaugh v. Maher is an interesting study, because Limbaugh can be critical of conservatives, just like Maher can be critical of liberals, while they both display neo-con and progressive tendencies (and outlandish hypocrisy), which is why I cannot stand either.

Now in radio, liberals (and progressives) also have plenty of support too -- even though it's less of an avenue for them. Traditionally -- before Fox News went conservative (early '00s) -- visual media tended to be a more sensationalist avenue for liberal imagery, where audio media tended to be a more sensationalist avenue for office class 9-to-5 types.

Fox News changed a lot, and one can even say the end of the Obama administration wasn't good for Fox's ratings ... just like Trump has been outstanding for the broadcast news (let alone social media).

Now I do think broadcast TV is anti-conservative, other than sports, where it may be more pro-conservative (although not as much of a differentiate). But yes, broadcast TV has the highest number of viewers. I'll admit that.

Cable and Pay TV varies greatly. Maher's survival is an interesting one in that regard. And he long headed up a show called "Politically Incorrect." So he does get more lee-way, I have to admit that (still think he was extremely insensitive with his N-word use, regardless of context).

But I was more interested in "where the line is."

I think people twisted what Schnatter said, because -- from the often-quoted Forbes article -- he was openingly complaining about being compared to people who used the N-word regularly, just because of his NFL comment. In that regard, I have to agree with Schnatter, he is nothing like a lot of CEOs, some that even still use similar comments.

We can even go back to the NBA banning/sale of an owner too, but in his case, he had a documented history of racism. I'm coming up short on Schnatter. I'm looking for another article that says more and exposes more, that some of the history of Schnatter.

I mean, I too -- even Gen-X in the '70s -- remember the N-word being thrown around in the mid-west at a single digit age. That doesn't mean I agree with it, much less I never used it myself. It's just that I grew up with it, and I was one of the few who never used it.

So, again, looking for more on what Schnatter has actually said -- because the Forbes source doesn't say much at all.
Saving reading this till bedtime in case I have trouble falling asleep. But usually fall right to sleep thanks to your wife's awesome blowjobs.

Reactions: btbones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT