Winter Park
B9315893574Z.1_20150116133633_000_G7U9MOI8H.1-0.jpg

Lee Wachtstetter, an 86-year-old Florida widow, took her daughter's
advice. She sold her five bedroom Fort Lauderdale area home on 10 acres
and became a permanent luxury cruise ship resident after her husband
died.

Mama Lee, as she's known aboard the 11-year-old Crystal
Serenity, has been living on the 1,070-passenger vessel longer than most
of its 655 crew members - nearly seven years.

"My husband
introduced me to cruising," she recalled. "Mason was a banker and real
estate appraiser and taught me to love cruising. During our 50-year
marriage we did 89 cruises. I've done nearly a hundred more and 15 world
cruises."
She estimates living the good life on the Serenity this year will cost
her $164,000. That'll cover costs of her single-occupancy seventh deck
stateroom, regular and specialty restaurant meals with available lunch
and dinner beverages, gratuities, nightly ballroom dancing with dance
hosts and Broadway-caliber entertainment - as well as the captain's
frequent cocktail parties, movies, lectures, plus other scheduled daily
activities.

link

but if she traveled to different locations, she would still get the same level of pampering but would see different things each day, eat different food, enjoy different climates, and still be banking up rewards and upgrades and all of those things that I am sure she is getting on board.

Obviously money isn't an issue for her so why not add a little variety.

Originally posted by Game_Day_Sports:
but if she traveled to different locations, she would still get the same level of pampering but would see different things each day, eat different food, enjoy different climates, and still be banking up rewards and upgrades and all of those things that I am sure she is getting on board.

Probably likes being known by the people onboard...

I do have to agree with this, I would not like to be on the same ship all of the time doing the exact same itinerary.

Was that really her daughter's advice? "Hey mom, go sell your house and move onto a cruise ship, the most crass form of travel. Maybe you can become friends with a middle age couple from Iowa or watch pregnant ladies get drunk by a communal pool." South Florida is the woooorrrst.

1. The ships goes all over the world. If she wants variety, she just needs to step out of the ship. I read that she does not do it unless it is Istanbul
2. She is 87. The ship is just a retirement home that goes around the world and she has new visitors from time to time. Looks like all her family (including the daughter) and friends are dead already.
3. She does not have to pack and unpack for every trip, no TSA, no cooking, cleaning or laundry to do.

I have no doubt this will be his future. He's pretty much halfway there at this point.

Then again, I'm probably going to retire to live in an airplane. Maybe Airforce 69

There's a lady that lives at Perry's in Daytona Beach Shores. Been there for a few years already.

I just finished a 7 day cruise and couldn't wait to get off. Don't like being that "fenced it" for a long time.

What will they do when she dies? Stick her in a cooler until they reach the next port and drop her off?

And what color and specie do these seamen identify with? Do we even know if they're seamen? What if they're lakemen or rivermen? Brahman you need to stop being so vague and pick a side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT