ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Depth Chart

If it was a the injury that I heard it was before he went in for the scope, probably be back in 4-6 weeks, with an early bye week he would only miss 4 games if it’s the full recovery time. Fingers crossed, but I think he plays 8 games or more.

Reactions: 90Knight and tjb74
I don’t know, with the way people are posting about wishing him a speedy recovery, it sounds pretty serious. Huge blow especially with how vulnerable the run defense was already last year

If it was a the injury that I heard it was before he went in for the scope, probably be back in 4-6 weeks, with an early bye week he would only miss 4 games if it’s the full recovery time. Fingers crossed, but I think he plays 8 games or more.
Suppose Malzahn could be making it sound worse than it is. But saying he is hoping he will be back before season ends, doesn't sound like he will be back in 1 month.

What happened to Andrew Rumph and Derrick Leblanc? How is a walk on freshman in the 2 deep and not them

No other big surprises except Trent Whittemore
not just that, but dotson was moved inside to be the backup to barber. i'm concerned because ricky barber is not the most durable guy either.

Reactions: PhDee
Mac McWilliams must be pretty good to get the start over Antoine Jackson. UCF is stacked this season. Clown Car Full.

I say that because I read more articles on Antoine than Mac. Antoine Jackson is really really good. A lot of the player interviews the past few weeks mentioned him as a stand out player. Having him as a backup means Mac must be pretty good as well! Do I need to elaborate more than that?

from ECU rivals site on Antoine Jackson:

Listed as the No. 20 safety in the nation by Rivals … Chose East Carolina over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Miami (Fla,), Michigan, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and others.

I'm just getting to know some of the players so please excuse me...

from UAB site for Mac McWilliams:

AS A REDSHIRT JUNIOR (2023):
Team Captain…Started in all 12 games... Recorded 52 tackles with nine breakups, two TFL, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery…Was also UAB’s primary punt returner…Had six punt returns for 60 yards.

No J. Henderson, C. Hawkins (Ohio State transfer), or T. Fegans (USC transfer) listed in the secondary is a little surprising.

I’m really surprised they’re going with a nickel base again (rather than playing three linebackers). No Troy Ford Jr. at linebacker listed.

Kind of wondering where the Oklahoma transfer is LeBlanc, especially since they had to move Dotson inside (not sure about that one)?

No surprises at all on offense. Was kind of hoping to start someone else other than Rubelt at RT. But now you just have to support him and trust he plays well. Really worried about the offensive line, more than any other position group.

Reactions: tjb74 and PhDee

‘Find a way back’: UAB’s Mac McWilliams ready to complete full season for Blazers​

• Updated: Aug. 18, 2023
“He’s got to stay healthy, we’ve talked a lot about that,” UAB head coach Trent Dilfer said. “We’re doing what we can on our end and he’s doing what he can on his end. Football is a dangerous game, things happen, and hopefully, it doesn’t happen to him. He’s an NFL player. He knows it, I know it and scouts know it. But to be an NFL player, you have to play a lot of snaps and stay healthy.”
No reason to click this link unless interested, old UAB article source link: https://www.al.com/uab/2023/08/find...eady-to-complete-full-season-for-blazers.html

AL1 can chime in, but it seems to be established that Malzahn tends to play/start players based on experience and loyalty over performance in camps.

AL1 can chime in, but it seems to be established that Malzahn tends to play/start players based on experience and loyalty over performance in camps.
J. Johnson transferred from Auburn as a fifth-year guy, but Malzahn is starting Townsend over him.

Gus just alluded that the only DFL to make the 2 deep is Andrew Harris.

This team has a lot of troubles imo.

J. Johnson transferred from Auburn as a fifth-year guy, but Malzahn is starting Townsend over him.
Townsend is an established starter prior to Johnson joining with two years of experience. How often does previous year starters get bumped aside from Keene?

I say that because I read more articles on Antoine than Mac. Antoine Jackson is really really good. A lot of the player interviews the past few weeks mentioned him as a stand out player. Having him as a backup means Mac must be pretty good as well! Do I need to elaborate more than that?
Jackson doesn’t have the speed to play CB.

Gus just alluded that the only DFL to make the 2 deep is Andrew Harris.

This team has a lot of troubles imo.
I disagree, it could also mean we have great starters.

How do you expect RS FR Andrew Harris with no experience to play over guys like Pace, Barr or Pierre who have 3 years of starting experience.

Established players also know the offense better than new comers too

A bit concerned that whittemore is a starting WR, we dont have a ton of depth there. We need the young WRs to progress through the season/off season for next year too based on the amount of seniors there, or were gonna be banking on the portal.

not just that, but dotson was moved inside to be the backup to barber. i'm concerned because ricky barber is not the most durable guy either.
Dotson is actually a better player than people know about.

Im wondering if Dotson was going to start at DE.

A bit concerned that whittemore is a starting WR, we dont have a ton of depth there. We need the young WRs to progress through the season/off season for next year too based on the amount of seniors there, or we’re gonna be banking on the portal.
I’m not concerned, it was a blood bath at WR competition.

A bit concerned that whittemore is a starting WR, we dont have a ton of depth there. We need the young WRs to progress through the season/off season for next year too based on the amount of seniors there, or were gonna be banking on the portal.
Whittemore needs to step it up big time this year....the players have been singing his praises, but it's got to translate to the games this year. If it doesn't and Gus still starts him then we've got a Gus problem.

Reactions: tjb74
Not many surprises really. Gus always seems to give season beginning starts to seniority and loyalty and as the season progresses it changes.

Whittemore and Rubelt were the big head scratchers for me. I’d expect Jacoby Jones or Javarious Johnson to fit in there eventually. Rubelt? Yeah the OL is now a concern. Bryon Threats not starting? That’s a little surprising actually. Im excited to see a healthy Nyjalik Kelly with Malachi on the other side. DL might be menaces.

Depth chart is kind of underwhelming. Insane stacked talent at RB, a lot of dudes at LB and in the secondary (great offseason), and that’s about it.

Coach them up Herb Hand, we need you living in the facility with the guys on the line this year!

Reactions: vroomba
What happened to Andrew Rumph and Derrick Leblanc? How is a walk on freshman in the 2 deep and not them

No other big surprises except Trent Whittemore
It is the season opener. No Rumph and LeBlanc means they are turds (not practicing hard, missing team meetings, etc.) and are in the doghouse. If UCF was opening against Florida, both would be on the depth chart. The DL coach is sending a clear message here.

This is a big surprise. I assumed he would be the starter at buck. Moving him inside will improve UCF's pass rush from the interior. I am *assuming* this has more to do with Rumph and LeBlanc.

Mac McWilliams must be pretty good to get the start over Antoine Jackson. UCF is stacked this season. Clown Car Full.
Williams is a pretty special No. 2 corner. He was not the most physical "every down" run stopper at UAB. I love his coverage skills, but I am little surprised UCF is just giving him the starting nod.
No J. Henderson, C. Hawkins (Ohio State transfer), or T. Fegans (USC transfer) listed in the secondary is a little surprising.
Not sure about J. Henderson's health. He didn't finish the year in 2023. They will probably bring him along slowly. Fegans will play. Not sure where to play Hawkins.
I’m really surprised they’re going with a nickel base again (rather than playing three linebackers).
Probably more of a matchup situation. New Hampshire is pass heavy.
No Troy Ford Jr. at linebacker listed.
He needs to be on the edge in passing situations.
No surprises at all on offense. Was kind of hoping to start someone else other than Rubelt at RT. But now you just have to support him and trust he plays well.
Rubelt is better than you think.
Really worried about the offensive line, more than any other position group.
The biggest question mark and most glaring weakness on the depth chart is LEFT TACKLE. Amari Kight is the most important player on the roster at any position. If he goes down with an injury for any extended time, it will be devastating for UCF. Keyon Cox is not ready to play. No other offensive lineman can play that position effectively.
Not many surprises really. Gus always seems to give season beginning starts to seniority and loyalty and as the season progresses it changes.
Correct.

Depth chart is kind of underwhelming. Insane stacked talent at RB, a lot of dudes at LB and in the secondary (great offseason), and that’s about it.

Coach them up Herb Hand, we need you living in the facility with the guys on the line this year!
too early to start the coaching search thread?

It is the season opener. No Rumph and LeBlanc means they are turds (not practicing hard, missing team meetings, etc.) and are in the doghouse. If UCF was opening against Florida, both would be on the depth chart. The DL coach is sending a clear message here.

This is a big surprise. I assumed he would be the starter at buck. Moving him inside will improve UCF's pass rush from the interior. I am *assuming* this has more to do with Rumph and LeBlanc.

Williams is a pretty special No. 2 corner. He was not the most physical "every down" run stopper at UAB. I love his coverage skills, but I am little surprised UCF is just giving him the starting nod.

Not sure about J. Henderson's health. He didn't finish the year in 2023. They will probably bring him along slowly. Fegans will play. Not sure where to play Hawkins.

Probably more of a matchup situation. New Hampshire is pass heavy.

He needs to be on the edge in passing situations.

Rubelt is better than you think.

The biggest question mark and most glaring weakness on the depth chart is LEFT TACKLE. Amari Kight is the most important player on the roster at any position. If he goes down with an injury for any extended time, it will be devastating for UCF. Keyon Cox is not ready to play. No other offensive lineman can play that position effectively.

Correct.
“Rubelt is better than you think”.

That’s weird, because he’s been on the field right in front of me six games a year for the last few seasons and I don’t really have a positive thing to say.

But keep blindly agreeing with Malzahn. I actually really hope you are right and I am way wrong. I’d much rather UCF be dominant up front this year than be correct.

2 Deep for these first 2 weeks isn’t that important. The TCU game will be first glimpse of what it actually will be.

"too early to start the coaching search thread?"

Yes, usually you gotta wait for the first UCF fumble or interception to start that.

For those of you wanting to study our opponent’s lineup…

“Rubelt is better than you think”.

That’s weird, because he’s been on the field right in front of me six games a year for the last few seasons and I don’t really have a positive thing to say.

But keep blindly agreeing with Malzahn. I actually really hope you are right and I am way wrong. I’d much rather UCF be dominant up front this year than be correct.
Herb Hand is and has been the one bragging on Rubelt. I understand he has been around the program for a while. I expected Wes Dorsey to be the starter. The coaching staff has backed Rubelt from Day One. I hope and think they are right.

Last edited:
In last night's radio show Rubelt was mentioned as the most improved player. at 6 feet 11 and 1/2 inch. Strongest and most energy, moves around not like someone who is near 7 feet tall. But, whatev, neggie nancies gonna be neggie nancies. Maybe he sux, maybe he don't. At this point nobody on this forum knows a thing other than what we've been told thru the media.

Here is good article:

I agree, however we have all seen him play and it’s not what you would want as a starting option. Let’s hope he has improved A LOT!

I know it sounds cynical, but I wonder if anything goes through their mind about trying to prop up a unique player who would generate media attention. The last couple of years it’s been JRP with the multi sport thing. This year, maybe it’s like “hey let’s get the 7 foot tall lineman out there” and that’ll become the revolving media story for the year. I’m guessing he’s made enough progress to make it out there to start. It’ll be interesting to follow

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT