ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 tracking former UCF players and coaches

Retnuhrace

Bronze Knight
Aug 31, 2007
Interesting day if you care to follow our former players and coaches.

Huepel’s Tennessee up 7-0 on Virginia

DG’s Oklahoma up 14-0 on Arkansas State

Mikey Keene won the starting job for Fresno State, currently 7-10 with a TD against Purdue. Tied 7-7.

I’m sure there’s more, feel free to add

Castellanos is in for BC as well. Had a nice run but next play overlooked a wide open TE. Also Heupel went for it on 4th and 1 in Q1 on their own 30 in a 7-0 game...interesting.

Last edited:
What are we a QB factory? DG, Keene, and Castellanos all starting

Doesn’t seem like Castellanos was actually the starter, but he’s been in for a considerable part of the half

Mikey Keene
Tommy Castellanos
Dillon Gabriel
Parker Navarro
Charlie Dean (former commit in the DG class)

All seeing action in todays early games.

Oklahoma put up 73 points today!!! How did Socko only have 2 TD’s?
Looking at their schedule, Sooners should be easily favored to run the table this year. Why did the B12 give them such a nice parting gift? 🤨
Should’ve at least made them play at the Bounce House for a DG homecoming before leaving for “greener pastures”.

Mikey Keene throws 31/44, 366 yards, 4 TD in his first road game to beat Purdue. Wish we still had him

Reactions: KnightLife1
Had to Google it to find out where Jaylon Robinson was now. So TCU and didn’t record a stat…did he play, buried in the depth chart or hurt? I tried to watch that game on my phone going back and forth between the Fresno St game while doing activities with my kids, but I don’t recall seeing him on the field or hearing his name. Man he’s got to be full of regrets.

TC was a backup, did the other QB get pulled or hurt? Gotta think Ryan Okeefe might have some regrets too, had 5 catches for 38 yards. Was he scared of Townsend taking his job? Townsend looked pretty dynamic on Thursday.

GJ Kinne got a huge win at Baylor in his first game as HC at Texas State. Kinne, who was the OC at UCF with Malzahn in 2021, seems to be rising quickly in the coaching ranks.

Had to Google it to find out where Jaylon Robinson was now. So TCU and didn’t record a stat…did he play, buried in the depth chart or hurt? I tried to watch that game on my phone going back and forth between the Fresno St game while doing activities with my kids, but I don’t recall seeing him on the field or hearing his name. Man he’s got to be full of regrets.

TC was a backup, did the other QB get pulled or hurt? Gotta think Ryan Okeefe might have some regrets too, had 5 catches for 38 yards. Was he scared of Townsend taking his job? Townsend looked pretty dynamic on Thursday.
Robinson played yesterday for TCU

Other guy pulled. He wasn’t moving ball.

Reactions: U C to the F
Watching the fsu game and I’m pissed bethune left us. I knew he was good as a freshman and was my favorite player on defense. And to go to fsu not a fan. Hope fsu loses

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Watching the fsu game and I’m pissed bethune left us. I knew he was good as a freshman and was my favorite player on defense. And to go to fsu not a fan. Hope fsu loses
usually don’t mind FSU but w how their administration and fans have acted name dropping UCF and all the Conference Realignment entitlement I hope they lose and underachieve in the ACC

It sucks Bethune left

Reactions: UCFootball14
Bethune was a beast last night. Def sucks, I was watching with a couple friends who went to FSU and told them that a few times.

Them winning last night could be good. Just lose to other ACC teams and they can’t say they are too good for the conference.

I was driving for the first half of the FSU game (listening on radio) then watched the 2nd half on tv. One thing I noticed was that the announcers always like to say 'The Transfer from So-&-So' after a player makes a highlight play. I heard transfer from Michigan State, Virginia, and a couple others. But, when they mention Bethune, there were no mention of 'The transfer from UCF'. Just an observation.

I was driving for the first half of the FSU game (listening on radio) then watched the 2nd half on tv. One thing I noticed was that the announcers always like to say 'The Transfer from So-&-So' after a player makes a highlight play. I heard transfer from Michigan State, Virginia, and a couple others. But, when they mention Bethune, there were no mention of 'The transfer from UCF'. Just an observation.
Probably because this is his second year. They may not even know.

They mentioned it in the first quarter 2-3 times. It’s what prompted me to make my comment

Ok, cool. I was listening to the radio for the first half. They didn't mention UCF transfer but repeatedly said, The transfer from Mich-state (WR).

moving on...no biggie...

Can someone post the win/loss and INT for present and former UCF QBs. --- probably a better analysis for a QB. Mikey was pretty good, others..........INTs and losses. I was a giant fan of Castellanos, but a loss to a MAC team?

Can someone post the win/loss and INT for present and former UCF QBs. --- probably a better analysis for a QB. Mikey was pretty good, others..........INTs and losses. I was a giant fan of Castellanos, but a loss to a MAC team?

W/L is more indicative of team performance.

Castallanos only experience prior was being told to hand off or thrown to the wolves against Tulane. He still passed for 2 TDs and rushed for another. That was coming off the bench.

Did any of the other QBs have at least 2 turnovers?

I would rank JRP #4 in this bunch, at least as a passer. We are wasting talent at WR with JRP as QB, but Gus is Gus, he wants a running QB. Then our new OC (who had a great press conference after the game) criticizes JRP for taking unnecessary hits. Who’s on 1st?
I’m terms of QBR he ranked 3rd of 5. Just ahead of Parker Navarro. But the top 4 all had great QBR games. Only Tommy had a poor game. But it was his first significant play ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT