ADVERTISEMENT

What did you think of the spring game?

Knight Strength

Golden Knight
Feb 2, 2018
I really liked seeing Hescock out there. Also Aaron Robinson, Tre Nixon, Cordarrian Richardson, etc.
Don't think casual fans appreciated the way teams and scoring was set up but not sure if it was nad for business.
I'm also concerned with our options at QB. Looked, to me, like Mack and Kingston only looked at their first option then ran or threw it away.
What did you all think?

I really liked seeing Hescock out there. Also Aaron Robinson, Tre Nixon, Cordarrian Richardson, etc.
Don't think casual fans appreciated the way teams and scoring was set up but not sure if it was nad for business.
I'm also concerned with our options at QB. Looked, to me, like Mack and Kingston only looked at their first option then ran or threw it away.
What did you all think?

Thought that there is a significant drop off after KZ. That said I thought that Kingston looked better than Mack. I thought Mack looked totally lost finding receivers and took way too many pseudo sacks. Kingston had better pocket presence and showed some very decent running ability.

My thoughts:

I think that it’s probably best if a spring game doesn’t have one side of the ball dominating the other, since it’s UCF against UCF. The DBs appeared to cover very well, especially on the deep passes.

Milton was clearly better than the other passers and it was very very obvious that he was snapping the ball mostly within seconds of the last play. He was throwing from the pocket mostly and rarely scrambled. I thought that Kingston had a better overall grasp over Mack of what was going on out there, but neither him nor Mack did anything that stood out

The amount of talent at RB is quite ridiculous.
Can’t see many or any team being more talented. Otis was out there at RB which was great and McCrae, Cordarian, and Bentavius all looked good. Killins was taking the night off for the most part.

At WR, I’m sure Snelson is the man and honestly, Payton is probably going to be a factor this year. Kid has talent and caught a pretty, deep TD pass. Gabe Davis caught a few passes and it was nice to see Tre Nixon in the mix. He looks to have good size and speed.

At TE, I think Hescock made a nice catch or 2 and may be the frontrunner to start.

Interesting thing to note was that Snelson and Killins were fielding the mock punts. However, the punting was subpar

I left the spring game feeling that it doesn’t really give you much information on the upcoming season. It’s more of a way to get out and support the program. A day of entertainment. Attendance was better than last year. 1/3 full IMO. 15-20,000. The Cabana was pretty full.

Takeaways were the fast offense, the newcomers and questionmark players were all there and Payton will be in the mix at WR

Lastly, props go out to allowing fans to go out on the field postgame. A nice personal touch. Snelson is a cool dude and took pictures with everyone. It looked like his mother looked on. Looks like he’s built for the spotlight and hopefully he is our next WR in the NFL. He looks the part and appears to be maturing
Tristen Hill was signing everything and was great with fans of all ages. Taking pictures as well. Another cool dude
I saw Wyatt Miller and Jordan Johnson out there as well. JJ is fit and a nice size for a center. We are set there.

Last edited:
As long as nobody got hurt....that's the most important thing.

Can you imagine if MM ruptured an ACL during this ? Geez.

If MM gets hurt at anytime of the season, even with all the talent around him, we probably are a slightly better than .500 team at best.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
Milton was clearly better than the other passers and it was very very obvious that he was snapping the ball mostly within seconds of the last play. He was throwing from the pocket mostly and rarely scrambled. I thought that Kingston had a better overall grasp over Mack of what was going on out there, but neither him nor Mack did anything that stood out

Big drop off after KZ, right now I would put Kingston number 2 based upon him looking much better than Mack in the pocket

Otis was out there at RB which was great and McCrae, Cordarian, and Bentavius all looked good.

Taj had a few good runs as well, I think that McCrae could be a stud.

Gabe Davis caught a few passes and it was nice to see Tre Nixon in the mix. He looks to have good size and speed.

Would have liked to seen more from Tre

The Cabana was pretty full.

Cabana was crowded both in and out, probably because $5 vs $20 for club.

However, the punting was subpar

Yes but he did get off a few boomers

I think that there is a lot of focus on the O not missing a beat with the potential to put up more points this year but I got the sense that the D can be an upgrade with a lot of upside potential as well.

Reactions: Mikesi
I think that there is a lot of focus on the O not missing a beat with the potential to put up more points this year but I got the sense that the D can be an upgrade with a lot of upside potential as well.
I think that the DBs are going to be even better this year. We have the transfer from Alabama and nearly everyone back with added experience. The loss of Hughes was big, but it ends there.

Reactions: JAFFX2
My take away of the game, it's a Spring Game. You keep it very vanilla because you know there are scouts from some opponent this season in the stands. MM looked ok think even he would say he could be sharper. RBs that clown car is loaded, same at WR.
Plus you have to keep something secret for a potential game with Bama. Show them too much now and they'll never play UCF.

I think that the DBs are going to be even better this year. We have the transfer from Alabama and nearly everyone back with added experience. The loss of Hughes was big, but it ends there.
Hope for D this year is that they play better as a team and don't have to lean on star DB (Hughes) and LB (Griffin) to bail them out in tight games. So far so good...

Reactions: Mikesi and JAFFX2
What happened?

First you guys told me 20,000 plus fans were going going to the spring game cause you all are heuped. Didn’t come close to that. Frost has 20,000+ at both his spring games at UCF.

Then you saying how incredible this new offense is. How it’s UCFaster. It was pretty tamed. You seem disappointed. Sounds like if McKinzie gets hurt it’s UCFover.

And now you guys are complaining about Randy Shannon and his lack of commitment. I’m worried about you guys.

On the other hand. We had a fabulous spring game. Offense made big plays, Defense made big plays. Our QBs played great. Frost said Martinez is further along then any true freshman he has coached. Gebbia played well. Looks like we have 2 QBs capable of getting this thing going. They put on a good show for the nearly 90,000 fans inside memorial stadium.

What happened?

First you guys told me 20,000 plus fans were going going to the spring game cause you all are heuped. Didn’t come close to that. Frost has 20,000+ at both his spring games at UCF.

Then you saying how incredible this new offense is. How it’s UCFaster. It was pretty tamed. You seem disappointed. Sounds like if McKinzie gets hurt it’s UCFover.

And now you guys are complaining about Randy Shannon and his lack of commitment. I’m worried about you guys.

On the other hand. We had a fabulous spring game. Offense made big plays, Defense made big plays. Our QBs played great. Frost said Martinez is further along then any true freshman he has coached. Gebbia played well. Looks like we have 2 QBs capable of getting this thing going. They put on a good show for the nearly 90,000 fans inside memorial stadium.

@ Blackshirts forever. No truth to anything you said. Guess you cant help being a dick. Ignored

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
What happened?

23K according to news. Let’s wait and see when you don’t play against 4 win talent to gage how good your offense and defense are tough guy. You can’t have both sides of the ball look good. It could mean they both are bad.

23K according to news. Let’s wait and see when you don’t play against 4 win talent to gage how good your offense and defense are tough guy. You can’t have both sides of the ball look good. It could mean they both are bad.

You are giving him way too much credit if you think he can understand what you said..........

Reactions: Flem3000 and Mikesi
Mod is nonexistent
And he moved one of my threads to cooler even though the same thread was in Dungeon. We need someone who actually comes on here and comments to be the mod. Not that guy. He’s worse than Brahman Knight when he was the mod.

Delusional. Maybe I should let everyone know the rest of the story and how things really went down. Nice try BrownShorts, but we now have a Faster offense and a better defense.

Reactions: JAFFX2
So why in the heck doesn't he do anything when these cornhole nut lickers come trolling?
Honestly, he just needs to ban this one. Plain and simple. The other remaining stragglers are at least sane. This one has psychological issues. One of them even recommended that he should be banned. He’s very insecure and really is THE #1 problem on here.

Last edited:
Delusional. Maybe I should let everyone know the rest of the story and how things really went down. Nice try BrownShorts, but we now have a Faster offense and a better defense.

I like BrownShorts almost as much as Shithead forever!

bragging about spring game attendance is Finebaum caller IQ level sad, it's why I thought it was stupid for 1976 to start that topic about USF. We overrate our fanbase, every fanbase in Florida is fairweather to different degrees. It's a different culture with lots of options to pull even the most dedicated fans elsewhere

bragging about spring game attendance is Finebaum caller IQ level sad, it's why I thought it was stupid for 1976 to start that topic about USF. We overrate our fanbase, every fanbase in Florida is fairweather to different degrees. It's a different culture with lots of options to pull even the most dedicated fans elsewhere
Nah the USF thing is still kind of funny lol

Neither here nor there, but is this a damn beautiful photograph or what ?

hqvJ9X3.jpg

And just for the hell of it, here are a few more pictures:

6XEBwuI.jpg

RJ30ryF.jpg

XQrNnHI.jpg

AO183Pu.jpg

yRYmYTh.jpg

mrQQ3dg.jpg

VmH15RR.jpg

7Nav7Kn.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t forget about that computer ranking that puts us at #1. Can’t argue with that since it was what was used to declare the number 1 team before the CFP elitist, P5 bias invitational was around. All of a sudden that doesn’t matter and was abolished for a new system created by the same CFP elitist, P5 biased people

That’s fair? Sorry, we are National Champions!! Who can argue against it?

Firstly, comparing results of a QB playing behind the Oline 1's to the results of QBs playing behind Oline 2's and 3's is comparing apples to prunes. Mack and Kingston both displayed serviceable 2nd string skills in their passing and mobility. They should not be blamed for the consequences of inconsistent line play and communication.

Offensive weapons are excellent and plentiful. It shows that there was no need for us to recruit more playmakers in the last cycle. We have no need to add to those rooms at this time as we are stacked at RB and WR for both this season and for 2019 actually. Snelson, Bargnare and Payton all looked well, as did several other WRs. Otis looked good in his transition to playing more WR. Cordarrian , McRae, Bentavious and Taj were all very effective RBs.

TE's are strong at playmaking but it appears could still need some attention to blocking assignments. Hescock and Roberson both made plays nicely.

Oline 1's are awesome at protection and run blocking. When the Oline "reserves" come in, the talent seems to still be there but it seems the communication level can lead to some sketchy results. I believe this is just a gray area that will get worked out as everyone gets more used to assignment changes in the scheme change from last year.

On D, we didn't really see the 4 down lineman look that has been discussed. Probably due to how many awesome LBs we have and how our DL ranks are not that deep at this point. It seems we showed mostly 3 down linemen with one or 2 edge guys (LBs) also on the line. This did seem effective in stopping outside runs and also in pass coverage in both the flats and short-mid range pass routes. However, the achilles heel seemed to be that those 3 down linemen and 2 inside LBs often were gashed on runs up the middle, which also was an issue last year with our D.

Charlton, Bacote and Burgess-Becker were constantly wreaking havoc off the edge. If they can play this season like they played last night, opposing QBs may have significant issues trying to get time to throw.

Pass coverage seemed great with our #1 DBs. Aaron Robinson was a shut down guy just as advertised. Nevelle Clark looked good in coverage. Bam Moore is usually in the right place in coverage, especially downfield, but seems to get handsy and physical even when it's not necessary to make a play, thus leading to penalty risks. I hope he can avoid those issues this year.

I think back to last year's spring game and the team did not look polished then either. Of course, we went undefeated from that. So I would not panic as this year we looked much better that last Spring overall. The thing about Spring games is that, the goal is not to show your best team look, but rather to get a decent look at all those under consideration for playing time. In that vein, my overall synopsis looks like this:

* Better playmaking ability and depth at LB, DB, WR and RB than last year. Although many lament the loss of Griffin and Burkett at LB, this is offset by getting Bacote healthy, SBB stepping up, Charlton and Gilyard coming aboard and Jasinski, Titus Davis & Luyanda all returning with more experience.

* Better Oline due to Boudreaux eligibility, Hudanick seemingly returning to good health, another year of experience of returners like Miller, Johnson & Jackson and added depth.

* QB, MM remains awesome and is even more experienced. Mack and Kingston will be just as effective as was Vedral was in potential backup roles.

* DLine, this is the achilles heel at this time. The departure of Pittman and Guerad still must be addressed. We may need at least one of the incoming DLs or the transfer JUCO to step up, for at least rotational depth, in order to avoid a dropoff here. In all other areas, I see no dropoff on this team, and in most areas, moving up a notch. Also, let's not forget that in college football, all teams lose players every year.

So we need not feel we are losing ground just because guys move on. It's more of a matter of which teams adjust to their roster changes the best. It appears that overall, at this time, UCF is about a 8.5 out of 10 on those adjustments. If the DLine steps up better, this can move to a grade of better than 9 out of 10.

Last edited:
Firstly, comparing results of a QB playing behind the Oline 1's to the results of QBs playing behind Oline 2's and 3's is comparing apples to prunes. Mack and Kingston both displayed serviceable 2nd string skills in their passing and mobility. They should not be blamed for the consequences of inconsistent line play and communication.

Offensive weapons are excellent and plentiful. It shows that there was no need for us to recruit more playmakers in the last cycle. We have no need to add to those rooms at this time as we are stacked at RB and WR for both this season and for 2019 actually. Snelson, Bargnare and Payton all looked well, as did several other WRs. Otis looked good in his transition to playing more WR. Cordarrian , McRae, Bentavious and Taj were all very effective RBs.

TE's are strong at playmaking but it appears could still need some attention to blocking assignments. Hescock and Roberson both made plays nicely.

Oline 1's are awesome at protection and run blocking. When the Oline "reserves" come in, the talent seems to still be there but it seems the communication level can lead to some sketchy results. I believe this is just a gray area that will get worked out as everyone gets more used to assignment changes in the scheme change from last year.

On D, we didn't really see the 4 down lineman look that has been discussed. Probably due to how many awesome LBs we have and how our DL ranks are not that deep at this point. It seems we showed mostly 3 down linemen with one or 2 edge guys (LBs) also on the line. This did seem effective in stopping outside runs and also in pass coverage in both the flats and short-mid range pass routes. However, the achilles heel seemed to be that those 3 down linemen and 2 inside LBs ofter were gashed on runs up the middle, which also was an issue last year with our D.

Charlton, Bacote and Burgess-Becker were constantly wreaking havoc off the edge. If they can play this season like they played last night, opposing QBs may have significant issues trying to get time to throw.

Pass coverage seemed great with our #1 DBs. Aaron Robinson was a shut down guy just as advertised. Nevelle Clark looked good in coverage. Bam Moore is usually in the right place in coverage, especially downfield, but seems to get handsy and physical even when it's not necessary to make a play, thus leading to penalty risks. I hope he can avoid those issues this year.

I think back to last year's spring game and the team did not look polished then either. Of course, we went undefeated from that. So I would not panic as this year we looked much better that last Spring overall. The thing about Spring games is that, the goal is not to show your best team look, but rather to get a decent look at all those under consideration for playing time. In that vein, my overall synopsis looks like this:

* Better playmaking ability and depth at LB, DB, WR and RB than last year. Although many lament the loss of Griffin and Burkett at LB, this is offset by getting Bacote healthy, SBB stepping up, Charlton and Gilyard coming aboard and Jasinski & Luyanda returning.

* Better Oline due to Boudreaux eligibility, Hudanick seemingly returning to good health, another year of experience of returners like Miller, Johnson & Jackson and added depth.

* QB, MM remains awesome and is even more experienced. Mack and Kingston will be just as effective as was Vedral was in potential backup roles.

* DLine, this is the achilles heel at this time. The departure of Pittman and Guerad still must be addressed. We may need at least one of the incoming DLs or the transfer JUCO to step up here in order to avoid a dropoff here. In all other areas, I see no dropoff on this team, and in most areas, moving up a notch. Also, let's not forget that in college football, all teams lose players every year.

So we need not feel we are losing ground just because guys move on. It's more of a matter of which teams adjust to their roster changes the best. It appears that overall, at this time, UCF is about a 8.5 out of 10 on those adjustments. If the DLine steps up better, this can move to a grade of better than 9 out of 10.
All QBs rotated which lines they played with FWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT