ADVERTISEMENT

When to announce starting Qb?

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
When do you think it is the best time to announce who the starting Qb is? With Miami Canes announcing yesterday (a week before their kick off) was a good move as now they can focus on one Qb. It was also reported that the Cane's Ohio State transfer was a no show at practice after announcing that.... On the bridge today, Marc Daniels wasn't there and Bianchi said he is at UCF scrimmage. Does that mean an important announcement today? Dunno. Does Coach Heup keep it close to his chest and we don't know who the starter is until Aug 29th against FAMU? Or, does he announce soon? I would think announcing as soon as possible is the best. Let the dominoes fall and let us get on with this.

What ya'll think?

Based on coach and player interviews and comments, it sounds like QB1 is Wimbush, QB 2 is Gabriel, and QB 3 is Jones.

Coach Huepel likes to keep information as secretive as possible, so I don't think an official announcement is made publicly, but the players will know after today's scrimmage.

When do you think it is the best time to announce who the starting Qb is? With Miami Canes announcing yesterday (a week before their kick off) was a good move as now they can focus on one Qb. It was also reported that the Cane's Ohio State transfer was a no show at practice after announcing that.... On the bridge today, Marc Daniels wasn't there and Bianchi said he is at UCF scrimmage. Does that mean an important announcement today? Dunno. Does Coach Heup keep it close to his chest and we don't know who the starter is until Aug 29th against FAMU? Or, does he announce soon? I would think announcing as soon as possible is the best. Let the dominoes fall and let us get on with this.

What ya'll think?
After the Stanford game. Play all 3 qbs the first 2 games if were winning. Keep them guessing....But probably within the next week.

"Play all 3 qbs the first 2 games " Not a bad strategy. Design different packages to each Qb and really confuse the defense. You got Wimbush, running and deep ball. Gabriel, running, and also left handed to switch up offense. Jones, trick plays. Slot Qb throw.(sorry only thing I know about him) Quadry Jones has the best percentage rate of any UCF QB. 100 percent of the time he throws it is a TD. :p I wouldn't mind if we don't know until FAMU, or even Stanford. But, it is kind of curious the head games that go on not knowing, and/or how the media handles it. Is it best not to know? Or do we need a champion to pull for. Probably will hurt jersey sales. (just joking) I'll be wearing my #2 Jeff Godfrey jersey once again this year.

It wouldn’t surprise me if after the scrimmage taking place this morning we hear more buzz. It also wouldn’t surprise me that even if Gabriel becomes “the guy” Wimbush starts against FAMU

Reactions: Central Floridave
"It wouldn’t surprise me if after the scrimmage taking place this morning we hear more buzz."

Marc Daniels skipped his morning radio show this morning. That kind of tells me that something big will be announced. Just speculating though. When is scrimmage today?

And KZ even faked like he was going in while in the huddle. That's ECU though, a conference foe.

We really need to fake out FAMU? I think not.

Arizona State just announced they starting freshman Qb.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
And, is Heup thinking not providing game film of any of our Qb's from FAMU game. FAMU prob gonna be vanilla offense play calling.

Following FAMU, we got FAU then Stanford. They will need some sort of game film to study. I get that coaches will want to cloak any offensive schemes for the next games. At least I think they think that way. OR do they? Open up the play book and let them practice/scrimmage against FAMU, and/or keep it close to the chest?!? Oh the strategies the coaches can play.

I think Wimbush gets the start at FAMU. Builds a lead, then we see the other two Qb's. For FAU, Wimbush gets start again and they see how that goes with increased competition. Maybe get Gabriel in a few series and protect his redshirt (up to 4 games).

Or, insert Gabriel in NOW and lets kick start this new UCF era. Geez...the waiting is the hardest part...

Publicly announce it when you post your 2 deep. Press will ask when they see it, you don't need to find the media... they will find you.

The players should know 24 hours before you need to post the 2 deep. Quick huddle after practice. This will be the FAMU starter and we are trying to go 1-0 and more coach fluff.

The worst time to do it is on gameday. Really screws up your warm up and mental preparation.

A week before sounds about right in my opinion.

And KZ even faked like he was going in while in the huddle. That's ECU though, a conference foe.

We really need to fake out FAMU? I think not.

Arizona State just announced they starting freshman Qb.
+1

And Stanford plays USC the week before UCF & Oregon the week after

Stanford and FAU will definitely have better tune up games before playing us, so we better have the right QB and for him to have plenty of reps

I think it will be Wimbush, but he will have a short leash. DG will be #2 and play.

The worst scenario is if DG enters the transfer portal.

Publicly announce it when you post your 2 deep. Press will ask when they see it, you don't need to find the media... they will find you.

The players should know 24 hours before you need to post the 2 deep. Quick huddle after practice. This will be the FAMU starter and we are trying to go 1-0 and more coach fluff.

The worst time to do it is on gameday. Really screws up your warm up and mental preparation.

A week before sounds about right in my opinion.
The warm up will be screwed up because you don’t know the starter? That’s funny.

It wouldn’t surprise me if after the scrimmage taking place this morning we hear more buzz. It also wouldn’t surprise me that even if Gabriel becomes “the guy” Wimbush starts against FAMU
Nothing would surprise me at this point. Everyone keeps sleeping on Quadry. His upside is huge that maybe he takes the job in season.

The only truth is that we really no nothing as it stands today. I’m just excited that we have 3 QB that are capable of winning games to start the season. And all 4 if you include Mack provide tons of depth.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. Everyone keeps sleeping on Quadry. His upside is huge that maybe he takes the job in season.

The only truth is that we really no nothing as it stands today. I’m just excited that we have 3 QB that are capable of winning games to start the season. And all 4 if you include Mack provide tons of depth.
Everyone is sleeping on Quadry bc he has never been a threat to be the starter. He is the result of fans just wanting to root for the Walk On Underdog. It's also the reason that Wimbush isn't getting much love bc he was a high rated recruit & transfer.

Reactions: UCF Chase
Stanford and FAU will definitely have better tune up games before playing us, so we better have the right QB and for him to have plenty of reps

I think it will be Wimbush, but he will have a short leash. DG will be #2 and play.

The worst scenario is if DG enters the transfer portal.
Playing true freshman is usually not good for success, and usually a bad decision for most teams, especially those coming off 12-1 seasons. When Milton started we were coming off a disaster season. Wimbush plays until he proves he can't win games.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
And, is Heup thinking not providing game film of any of our Qb's from FAMU game. FAMU prob gonna be vanilla offense play calling.

Following FAMU, we got FAU then Stanford. They will need some sort of game film to study. I get that coaches will want to cloak any offensive schemes for the next games. At least I think they think that way. OR do they? Open up the play book and let them practice/scrimmage against FAMU, and/or keep it close to the chest?!? Oh the strategies the coaches can play.

I think Wimbush gets the start at FAMU. Builds a lead, then we see the other two Qb's. For FAU, Wimbush gets start again and they see how that goes with increased competition. Maybe get Gabriel in a few series and protect his redshirt (up to 4 games).

Or, insert Gabriel in NOW and lets kick start this new UCF era. Geez...the waiting is the hardest part...
I hope not. If we're rolling with Wimbush he should get at least 3 quarters of play, if not the whole game. He only has one season to produce. You want to give him as many snaps as possible so that he gains confidence as the season moves on to much more important games.

I heard on the radio this morning a few reporters discussing Oklahoma not announcing Jalen Hurts as the starter yet at OK. One of them close to the program thought it had to do with them waiting until classes start. Something about that making it harder to enter the transfer portal and they were more locked in then. If true other schools could be using the same strategy.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I heard on the radio this morning a few reporters discussing Oklahoma not announcing Jalen Hurts as the starter yet at OK. One of them close to the program thought it had to do with them waiting until classes start. Something about that making it harder to enter the transfer portal and they were more locked in then. If true other schools could be using the same strategy.

How in the heck can Jalen Hurts transfer if he is a graduate transfer in his last year of eligibility?????

Sure, I'll buy that. In our Case DG is not going anywhere this year if he doesn't start at #1
Yeah I don’t think he would go anywhere. He sees he as the keys to the kingdom even if he doesn’t start this year. Even if KZ comes back and he sits out another year he will have 2-3 years of eligibility and if he’s as good as advertised then he will only get better

With Miami Canes announcing yesterday (a week before their kick off) was a good move as now they can focus on one Qb. It was also reported that the Cane's Ohio State transfer was a no show at practice after announcing that....

I heard on the radio this morning a few reporters discussing Oklahoma not announcing Jalen Hurts as the starter yet at OK. One of them close to the program thought it had to do with them waiting until classes start.

Sadly, that's becoming more and more the norm. It just boggles the mind that someone can say they're "all in" and playing for "their brothers" … until they lose the starting job in Game One. Then, it's "I'm Oughta Here!" That's total BS in my book.

When do you think it is the best time to announce who the starting Qb is?
Unless a coach wants to play silly mind games that accomplish nothing, the decision should be made the weekend before the first game.

Sadly, that's becoming more and more the norm. It just boggles the mind that someone can say they're "all in" and playing for "their brothers" … until they lose the starting job in Game One. Then, it's "I'm Oughta Here!" That's total BS in my book.

Unless a coach wants to play silly mind games that accomplish nothing, the decision should be made the weekend before the first game.
No way CJH is announcing our starting QB the last minute. The decision could be as soon as tomorrow or early next week.
The latest as you said.

No way CJH is announcing our starting QB the last minute. The decision could be as soon as tomorrow or early next week.
The latest as you said.

Anything regarding announcement is certainly possible.......that said, the word coming out of todays scrimmage is the QB competition is still pretty darn close with no obvious starter. Based upon recent CJH comments and other tidbits it sounds like BW might be ahead because of his impressive deep ball and the thing holding him back is his short game........I think there is one more scrimmage so it might be a little early to call this yet.....

Anything regarding announcement is certainly possible.......that said, the word coming out of todays scrimmage is the QB competition is still pretty darn close with no obvious starter. Based upon recent CJH comments and other tidbits it sounds like BW might be ahead because of his impressive deep ball and the thing holding him back is his short game........I think there is one more scrimmage so it might be a little early to call this yet.....
Wondering if a tight race is a good thing or a scary thing at this stage

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10

It's more likely a bad thing. If everyone was equal, but great. You start the senior off and let the freshman get some experience slowly.

UCF Football and the media have been awfully quiet after this scrimmage. Other than some photos released nada. Usually we are inudated with youtube vids and media reports. Maybe quiet before the storm. Methinks it is announce on Wednesday. Probably waiting for a good news cycle. Or preparing social media post for the announcement. Again...just speculating... Either way...Go Knights!

Reactions: Ucfmikes

This is what I gather from some late breaking info......BW had a very good scrimmage and DG may have had one of his worse days of fall camp. All things considered in a tight QB competition the nod probably goes to BW.......another interesting note is that under different circumstances QJ could easily be a D1 starting QB

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT