ADVERTISEMENT

Will Trump go down as the worst president in history?

You forgot to include strong labor unions that work directly with the government and a strong permanent bureaucracy heavy on regulations for corporations.

Unions in and of themselves are not fascist, neither are corporations. But yes, unions or corporations that are strong enough can certainly support and in some ways create a fascist goverment. Of course, right now in this country our government is far more influenced by corporate lobbyists than they are unions.

I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Park. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

James Mattis

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's going to be remembered universally for the damage he has done to our nation. Thankfully it's almost over. Latest polls show a 10 point lead for generic democrat over republican. He had such an easy road to reelection but he wanted to go this route instead.

So when the president used the same Act to take down the KKK because governors weren't, was that fascism? If so, give me a double helping.

THe KKK was fought with enforcement acts, not the sedition act of 1807. IT allowed the president to use the national guard when needed.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's going to be remembered universally for the damage he has done to our nation. Thankfully it's almost over. Latest polls show a 10 point lead for generic democrat over republican. He had such an easy road to reelection but he wanted to go this route instead.

There is no way he leaves on his own if he loses. Expect the days and weeks after the election to be extremely tense if Trump does lose.

That's what I meant but doesnt change my point, trump isn't operating under the same act.
Thats the act he would use to call in the military. To my knowledge its the only one that would make it legal

Thats the act he would use to call in the military. To my knowledge its the only one that would make it legal
It has to be requested by a governor and literally no sitting governor would ever request this. If Trump did it it would be illegal.

THe KKK was fought with enforcement acts, not the sedition act of 1807. IT allowed the president to use the national guard when needed.

Just FWIW, yes the insurrection act was used to push down the KKK against the states wishes. It was also used to integrate Alabama schools without the governors request.

There is no way he leaves on his own if he loses. Expect the days and weeks after the election to be extremely tense if Trump does lose.
The constitution leaves no room for interpretation on this. He'll leave or he'll be arrested. We still have checks and balances left.

The constitution leaves no room for interpretation on this. He'll leave or he'll be arrested. We still have checks and balances left.

I should have said he wont leave willingly. He will claim voter fraud and the 2 months between the election and inauguration he will do everything in his power (including stirring up his base) to argue he won the election. There is absolutely no way he just accepts he was defeated.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Just FWIW, yes the insurrection act was used to push down the KKK against the states wishes. It was also used to integrate Alabama schools without the governors request.
Read the act before you spout off. You're incorrect that trump has the legal standing to use this without being invited by states.

Trump had set the stage to say the election was 'fixed' in 2016 before -- low and behold -- he won.

Trust me, when he loses next November, the cry from the WH will be massive mail-in voter fraud.

Trump had set the stage to say the election was 'fixed' in 2016 before -- low and behold -- we won.

Trust me, when he loses next November, the cry from the WH will be massive mail-in voter fraud.

Yep, he argued voter fraud in an election he won, and of course he had no evidence. And you are correct, he is already pushing voter fraud through mail even though mail voting has been legal for years (to varying degrees dependin on the state), and there is little to no evidence of fraud.

Read the act before you spout off. You're incorrect that trump has the legal standing to use this without being invited by states.
Its been done. Explain why states have to invite it now? I know that Bush tried to codify it and failed but if there is something that I missed that makes it illegal I'd like to know what that is.

Edit: n/m, you're wrong. The president definitely has the authority to do it without being invited if the state is incapable or refuses to protect constitutional rights. That includes protection of life and property.

Last edited:
Reactions: drays21
Its been done. Explain why states have to invite it now? I know that Bush tried to codify it and failed but if there is something that I missed that makes it illegal I'd like to know what that is.

States have always have to approve it, the exceptions have been when states themselves were systemically violating the law, as was the case with school segretation and things of that nature.

Edit: n/m, you're wrong. The president definitely has the authority to do it without being invited if the state is incapable or refuses to protect constitutional rights. That includes protection of life and property.
The text of the amendment added in 1871 for "constitutional rights" specifically mentions the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.

The state is responsible for protecting it's citizens rights unless it is the state infringing on those rights.

The text of the amendment added in 1871 for "constitutional rights" specifically mentions the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.

The state is responsible for protecting it's citizens rights unless it is the state infringing on those rights.

There's probably some room for interpretation there, but I get what you're saying.

I don’t know why you guys are even discussing. Trump already has stated he would accept election results*

paragraphs 5 & 6 are brutal but it is the truth. not enough people have the balls to see/say the obvious like Mattis bc they are so far gone in the Cult like most of this board + the Dungeon.

Yesterday really marks the day it officially became a cult.

A universally respected, both on the left and the right, incredibly intelligent man, with the closest working connection to Trump, just gave the most scathing review of Trump.

Normal people would take this new information into account and change their opinion of Trump.

These treasonous inbred morons of this board simply go on believing that they alone are correct. It's a cult.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Yesterday really marks the day it officially became a cult.

A universally respected, both on the left and the right, incredibly intelligent man, with the closest working connection to Trump, just gave the most scathing review of Trump.

Normal people would take this new information into account and change their opinion of Trump.

These treasonous inbred morons of this board simply go on believing that they alone are correct. It's a cult.
What can you say? He loves the poorly educated. He could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and the nut swingers would still be there swinging.

giphy.gif

Very Hitler-like. Pfttt. Only looters defend the country. Real men kneel and riot
Very few things really piss me off, but how the left used this against Bush really did. Those soldiers completed their mission and were welcomed back with praise, only to be totally dismissed and marginalized for political purposes. That is about as shameful as you can get.

Very few things really piss me off, but how the left used this against Bush really did. Those soldiers completed their mission and were welcomed back with praise, only to be totally dismissed and marginalized for political purposes. That is about as shameful as you can get.
The left wing radicals are very shameful towards the military

Reactions: AAC6800
ADVERTISEMENT