ADVERTISEMENT

Will UCF crack the AP Top 25 with a win over #5 Michigan?

Once a Knight...

Four-Star Recruit
Jul 14, 2011
I would think yes... but I hear our "ranking" currently is in the 90-100 range. Would 2-0 with a win over #5 Michigan on the road at the Big House be enough to propel UCF up about 65-75 spots in the polls?

I guess similarly, would Michigan fall out of the Top 25 with a loss? I think UCF would be close to the Top 25 but not in it, however a win over FIU and Maryland at 4-0 should be enough.

I would say a 3-0 start (FCS, Top 5, P5 wins) would make for a good Top 25 case, but everything else would have to fall in place, as in top 25 teams falling off.

I don't see how we beat Michigan, I just hope we keep it competitive.

I don't really see us beating Michigan either, though like others have said, hope we keep it competitive. Might it help that Scott Frost has faced Harbaugh before at Stanford? I keep thinking how Coach O'leary had faced Art Briles before at Houston and played Baylor just like we would've a good Houston team. Could Frost know how to beat Harbaugh?

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsaholic
bd2d4a14bc0c7e19eabdc2659cef848d5a890eb871627a7c2609cc67469f82ac.jpg

Reactions: Mikesi
I think it would depend on the circumstance. If Holman is slinging it around and completing 75% of his passes and the D forces a bunch of 3 and outs, there's a good chance, since it's a nationally televised game.

However, the much more likely scenario for a UCF win, would be UM showing up flat, having a bunch of boneheaded mistakes, etc. I don't think in that scenario we'd get ranked.

Reactions: Once a Knight...
We're not going to beat Michigan, but if we did then yeah we would absolutely be top 25. It's gonna be on ABC so lots of eyeballs and it would be the big story of the week.

We may be #80 according to the handful of rankings that list all 130 teams, but the AP and especially the coaches aren't paying attention to anyone outside the top 30. They all just do a top 25 based on record, name recognition, and notable wins. Even the biggest UCF hater would pop us in there at #25 if we're 2-0 with a win over #5 Michigan.

But again, it ain't happening.

No, because I don't see us winning.

if, if, if, we did, I think that we would be 25th or just outside of it with a lot of votes

It also depends on our margin of victory. A ten to 14 point victory would get us #24. Squeezing it out after a wide right or failed pass in the endzone will mean lots of votes but... Barring a meltdown, Michigan will wind up around 17 or 18, according to past experience. It would take a win over Maryland to prove it wasn't a fluke (which helps Michigan rise, too).

The myth is that a huge upset requires an underdog to play a "perfect game." That adds to the players effort to not screw up. You can afford to make a couple turnovers as long as it doesn't phase you. Big upsets usually happen when the challenger is loose, not overly impressed by their opposition and venue, and a bit cocky. The key is to make the favored team begin to doubt itself and frustrated by their inability to put the other guys away.

No shot. If you recall in 2013, it took a 5-1 record before we were even ranked in the top 25. After beating Louisville, we were 5-1 and ranked #21. That's 4 games over .500. I know, it's not an Apples to Apples comparison, but it took a win over Penn St and Louisville plus 3 other wins just to get ranked. I doubt a win over a FCS school and Michigan alone catapult us up that high.

No shot. If you recall in 2013, it took a 5-1 record before we were even ranked in the top 25. After beating Louisville, we were 5-1 and ranked #21. That's 4 games over .500. I know, it's not an Apples to Apples comparison, but it took a win over Penn St and Louisville plus 3 other wins just to get ranked. I doubt a win over a FCS school and Michigan alone catapult us up that high.
That's just what I was thinking. 2013. Voters hand on to disappointing teams much to long while in denial about up and comers. In that case UF stayed ranked while we were knock on the door. We entered and they were gone for the season.

Reactions: UCFan07
I think as long as the game is competitive we will move up a lot-regardless of top 25. App State is currently getting votes and they lost to an overrated Tennessee team. Same thing for us but probably bigger scale.

Yes. If you beat the 6th ranked team in country you get ranked. Penn St was not considered good when we beat them. Louisville was. Thats why it took till aftet that game to get ranked.

I still think they would overlook us because were G5. They won't think it warrants a 65-70 rank jump. Plus it also matters what happens to the teams that are ranked 20-25 currently. Texas AM, LSU, OK State, Baylor, Oregon, Miami aren't getting jumped by us if they all win.

I still think they would overlook us because were G5. They won't think it warrants a 65-70 rank jump. Plus it also matters what happens to the teams that are ranked 20-25 currently. Texas AM, LSU, OK State, Baylor, Oregon, Miami aren't getting jumped by us if they all win.
All 25 ranked teams won't win.

No way we get close to ranking. All that would happen is a weeks worth of talking heads saying how overrated Mich was, losing to a team that was 0-12 last year.

Here's a question nobody here is asking. Is Houston rooting for us to win? I suspect they are discussing it on their site.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Anyone outside of top 12 loses they may fall out. Thats 13 teams. Probably 4 will lose. If we beat UM, we get ranked.
Not a single ranked team is playing another ranked team this week. In addition, many are playing patsies. The average point spread is over 30, and only TCU vs. Arkansas is in single digits. Five or six play FCS teams. Lastly, all but #13 Louisville (on the road against Syracuse) is playing at home (a couple don't play a road game the entire month). Hard to see more than a couple losses.

We probably won't be which is why early season polls are pointless. If we go on the road to the big house and beat Michigan there's no reason a voter should keep them in the top 25 and us out of it. Does it makes us the better team for the entire season, no but after two weeks which the polls should be based on you can't say we aren't the better team than them.

We probably won't be which is why early season polls are pointless. If we go on the road to the big house and beat Michigan there's no reason a voter should keep them in the top 25 and us out of it. Does it makes us the better team for the entire season, no but after two weeks which the polls should be based on you can't say we aren't the better team than them.
That's a great point. If we win Sat will we be ranked ahead of Michigan?

Logic would dictate that the sum of the points for two teams playing should remain constant, but instead that sum usually drops, often by a lot! That why a lighter SOS can benefit a team as long as they play and defeat a couple good teams during the season.

The other effect is a one-week lag delay effect in the polls, sort of like how Oscars are often awarded to actors for a mediocre roll to make up for Academy voters bypassing a great performance a previous year. Thus, the unranked team that upsets a ranked opponent doesn't get anywhere near the votes their opponent lost. However, the following week (provided they win, even against a so-so foe) there is substantial recognition from voters. That's when they get ranked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT