ADVERTISEMENT

Wimbush for Heisman...

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
Yes, click bait title. Get over it.

Last year Wimbush was a high candidate for the Heisman.

"When it comes to Wimbush’s projected performance in 2018, some Vegas oddsmakers believe Wimbush is among the Top 20 favorites to win the Heisman Trophy this season."

McKenzie Miltons odds in vegas was slightly higher than Wimbush the start of 2018.

Thus, we have a heisman candidate as a potential Qb this upcoming year. I can see if he gets the start and we roll everyone like I'm expecting then Wimbush could win the Heisman.

This is just off season babble.

In Wimbush We Trust... Too Soon?

After watching him in the spring game, he'll be lucky to be the starter. He didn't demonstrate a lot of accuracy and almost all his throws were a 95 mph fastball. He did have a nice fade route throw in the end zone, though. I know there is a lot of time between now and the fall but I just didn't see "it" on the field when he played. As much as I balked at his poor throwing motion and footwork as a true freshman (and he had a major issue with the line not blocking in front of him), but what I did see was his uncanny ability to just make stuff happen and he made enough plays to make me a believer. I thought he would be a Junior before we saw him excel, though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he or Mack wins the job.

I feel like it will take a season unlike anything that’s ever been seen before for a “non-P5” player to win (not just make the final list) the Heisman. Looking back, Andre Ware (Houston) was the last player from a team not currently in a P5 conference to win it...in ‘89.
If 2,448 yards (prior to bowl game) and 29 TDs by 24K was only good for 8th, yeah, I agree, it would take something off the chart for a non-P5 player to win now. It shouldn't matter where you play. It should simply be about what you do on the field.

That was probably the greatest individual season effort I will ever witness as a fan.

If 2,448 yards (prior to bowl game) and 29 TDs by 24K was only good for 8th, yeah, I agree, it would take something off the chart for a non-P5 player to win now. It shouldn't matter where you play. It should simply be about what you do on the field.

That was probably the greatest individual season effort I will ever witness as a fan.
Agreed. Additionally, he averaged about 150 yards a game vs P5 Texas, North Carolina State and Mississippi State with poor QB play and no great playmakers

Heisman isn't on my radar. I'd be happy if we have a QB who can move the chains. I have no favorites just don't want a true freshmen to start but if that's what we're left with then we need to go with it.

Reactions: Yaes
Really?? That’s all you’ll be happy with? That’s a GOL statement. I thought that we’ve evolved past that

Additionally, Clemson did just fine with a a Freshman QB
It’s true, though. With the talent we have on this team, I think a QB who can reliably dish out the ball to our playmakers and not turn the ball over is enough to win.

Clemson’s QB was the exception, not the rule, for FR quarterbacks.

It’s true, though. With the talent we have on this team, I think a QB who can reliably dish out the ball to our playmakers and not turn the ball over is enough to win.

Clemson’s QB was the exception, not the rule, for FR quarterbacks.
It’s just when I hear the term “move the chains” it reminds me of a not quick strike offense. One that scores 20-30 points per game. That won’t be enough to be successful this year with all the young guys on the defensive line

It’s just when I hear the term “move the chains” it reminds me of a not quick strike offense. One that scores 20-30 points per game. That won’t be enough to be successful this year with all the young guys on the defensive line
Yeah, I get that. Whether we average more or less than ~35 points a game will be huge this year.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
What the hell, I'm on board.

Players comments seem to say he's standing out the most...and he won't run backwards or fumble. But he's also less accurate than Mack which is a really big deal. I still have no idea who will start but whoever does, I'll be his number 1 fan and support him for president. #WB4Heisman

Wishbone and start them both

Wishbone and start them both

Do you guys think this is a real possibility? Is there any reason why people keep bringing this up? Playing two quarterbacks has been brought up a lot on here and social media.

I don't think there's any chance that Heup wants to do that. Heup likes 11 personnel and he barely deviates to 20. It seems so tightly tied to his offensive principles, I can't imagine him trying to play two quarterbacks. Seems like it would mean a major change in his approach to the game. Which, to me, would be concerning.

Reactions: Wings0fred
It’s not fair to compare any freshman to Trevor Lawrence. The way he dismantled Alabama’s defense was jaw dropping.

Would it be better for our perception if Wimbush doesn’t win job? He couldn’t play well at ND and if he comes here and tears it up people will just say how bad the teams we play are.

Would it be better for our perception if Wimbush doesn’t win job? He couldn’t play well at ND and if he comes here and tears it up people will just say how bad the teams we play are.
If this happens (he plays and does really well), it will depend on why (did he improve his accuracy? Did he scramble for 300 yds a game? Did he have more time to throw? More cushion from DBs?). The offensive schemes are so different, it may just come down to him excelling in a different system.

Not to say we won’t hear those arguments about the AAC sucking, though...

My comment about move the chains is not based upon a GOLism. It's based upon the completion rate pct. of current available QBs. Our offense has big plays written all over it but the QBs have to get the ball into their hands and be able to escape the pocket under pressure which is something I have yet to see Mack master. Wimbush can run but again he's a 50% completion pct. QB compared to KZ at 70%. Now 70% and escape-ability will win close games, bowls and championships for you. Just a fact...

Reactions: Yaes
I believe our fans are in for a rude awakening. KZ is a special talent. Nobody is going to run things the way he did. I hope I am wrong.
I believe the new kid from Hawaii will be close but I don't want to experience the freshmen season of KZ over again. The key for KZ is how quickly he reads the defense and reacts, amazing.

This should be required reading for every UCF QB during the off-season :)

https://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/cgi/v...&httpsredir=1&article=1268&context=etd_theses

Last edited:
Or it could be the opposite, don't underestimate how good our conference is. ND plays an ACC schedule which is good but then again Pitt also made it to the conference championship so... it all depends on whether he can run our type of offense which by itself is already spectacular.
Remember Blake Barnett was good enough to start at Alabama and none of that helped him in the American.

That being said I hope Wimbush has the skills to win if he doesn't become the starter.

Fact is that Mack has started 3 games in his ENTIRE CAREER, so I don’t know how anyone can even look at his completion percentage. That should change drastically
We should once again score 40 a game. A team led by Mack scored 28 in a half vs USF and about 56 vs Memphis.

Reactions: muckdawg24
He will start and ball out for sure. I think he’s better than what people think on here. He had a small amount of time to practice before the spring game and he literally couldn’t show off his best skill: scrambling. He had a natural juke move and will be deadly with Mccrae.

If his short and medium passing improve over the summer I think we’re in for a treat.

ERiY8LB.gif
C0HckUs.jpg

I went back and read some Notre Dame articles from 2017 and 2018. Looks like Wimbush had a couple injuries that slowed him down and maybe reason why he lost the starting position. He was a highly rated player. Now he is playing with a chip on his shoulder and his last year to impress. I hope he takes over and does really well. I can see us playing 2qbs at times. Ideally we should redshirt the Hawaiian Freshman. Heupel knows Qb'ing. He brought Wimbush in for a reason. During the space coast charge on tour he was asked about who has the lead in QB. He said the one that doesn't make the same mistake twice. Wimbush, with the 5th year senior experience and talent will win this QB race in my opinion and go on and turn some heads in the heisman race. Black and Gold Goggles on Super Tight this off-season...Go Knights!

He will start and ball out for sure. I think he’s better than what people think on here. He had a small amount of time to practice before the spring game and he literally couldn’t show off his best skill: scrambling. He had a natural juke move and will be deadly with Mccrae.

If his short and medium passing improve over the summer I think we’re in for a treat.

If we're hoping that a grad transfer that couldn't win the job at his previous school finally learns to throw medium and short passes over the summer, then color me skeptical. Add in Mack's unproven ability to read a defense after two years here, and his fumbling tendancies, and I'll take that one new guy that broke those other two Heisman candidates HS records last year instead.

If we're hoping that a grad transfer that couldn't win the job at his previous school finally learns to throw medium and short passes over the summer, then color me skeptical. Add in Mack's unproven ability to read a defense after two years here, and his fumbling tendancies, and I'll take that one new guy that broke those other two Heisman candidates HS records last year instead.

Agree just adding that the new guy has less experience and might be worse at reading defenses. We don't have any perfect options. And that's a really normal part of sports.

This is some good off season talk.

He will definitely have to be more accurate 8 yards and more downfield. The box will be stacked until he does.

If you're consistently moving the chains that means defenses are not consistently stacking the box and are most likely concerned about the big strike potential. If you can prove that you have big strike potential that will help move the chains.

Or it could be the opposite, don't underestimate how good our conference is. ND plays an ACC schedule which is good but then again Pitt also made it to the conference championship so... it all depends on whether he can run our type of offense which by itself is already spectacular.
Remember Blake Barnett was good enough to start at Alabama and none of that helped him in the American.

That being said I hope Wimbush has the skills to win if he doesn't become the starter.
KZ beat Pitt. Could be different in Pittsburg this year.

Reactions: Endeavor.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT