ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: Startups vie to be the Uber of healthcare

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
http://www.wsj.com/articles/startups-vie-to-build-an-uber-for-health-care-1439265847 ( you can google "wsj uber health care" to read the entire piece behind the paywall )

Darren Gold had a stomach virus the first time he used an app called Heal to summon a doctor to his Beverly Hills home. He liked the Stanford-trained doctor who showed up so much that he called Heal again when his 2-year-old son had a fever, and again when the whole family had colds.

The charges—$99 each for the first two visits; $200 for the family—weren’t covered by insurance, but Mr. Gold, who owns a corrugated-box company, says that was still a bargain compared with taking time off work to go to the doctor. “Now, whenever my son bumps himself, he says, ‘Daddy, we need to get the doctor here,’ ” Mr. Gold says.

Heal is one of several startups putting a high-tech spin on old-fashioned house calls—or “in-person visits,” since they can take place anywhere. The services provide a range of nonemergency medical care—from giving flu shots to treating strep throats and stitching lacerations—much like a mobile urgent-care clinic.

The companies use slightly different models. Pager, in New York City, dispatches doctors or nurse practitioners via Uber, for $200. Heal, in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orange County, Calif., promises to “get a doctor to your sofa in under an hour” for $99. (A medical assistant goes along to do the driving and parking.)

Pager, which has treated about 5,000 patients in New York’s five boroughs since its founding last year, says a typical patient is a young mother with one sick child and others she doesn’t want to bring along to the doctor’s office too or leave at home. “Health checks,” in which a nurse does cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and other tests for $75, are also popular—even in office settings.

On one such visit recently, Kunal Merchant, a 34-year old Facebook executive with a new baby on the way, wanted to be sure he was healthy, but didn’t want to take hours off work to visit a primary-care physician he barely knew. So he booked an office conference room, and scheduled a Pager visit. Registered nurse Eve Rorison brought all the gear she needed to check his blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate and BMI, in her backpack. About 15 minutes and one finger prick later, she declared, “You’re very healthy—keep up the good work.”

I would use this in a heartbeat for the routine/mundane stuff that takes FOREVER when visiting an office. $99 is nothing if they come straight to you and can take care of basic ailments and write a prescription. Plus you don't have to sit in a waiting room amongst other sickly people.

This is awesome enough to where the insurance companies and healthcare lobbyists will push the government to find a way to smash it. It hurts traditional hospitals, urgent care facilities, doctor's offices and does not contribute to the revenue required to help ultimately support our ultimate migration to a single payer system.

It's starting already....
"Still, Alan Ayers, a spokesman for the Urgent Care Association of America, a trade group, says urgent-care clinics provide all the same services that the house-call companies do, far more efficiently. He also asks, “What quality control is there over the clinical environment in someone’s home? Does it have the right light? Is it sanitary?”
What’s more, some office-based physicians fear that dialing up doctors like taxi rides will further fragment health-care delivery and interfere with doctor-patient relationships."

Reactions: UCFEE and UCFWayne
I did get a laugh over "doctor patient relationships."

But my favorite part of the piece was.....House calls, which accounted for 40% of all doctor visits in 1930, dwindled to less than 1% by 1980 as physicians found it far more efficient to see 20 or 30 patients a day in an office than just a handful in their homes.

40 percent? Amazing.

Healthcare systems are already working towards other solutions. Virtual doctor visits will be more common in the future. Have an issue, contact your medical professional via Skype. There are several services are already active, but soon most Hospital & Medical Group systems will join in as well.

The government has forced consilidation in the Healthcare industry, either you are apart of a system that can handle being at the whim of the government for reimbursement on medical procedures or you slowly fade into obscurity as rising costs and reduced funds eat you alive.

This is awesome enough to where the insurance companies and healthcare lobbyists will push the government to find a way to smash it. It hurts traditional hospitals, urgent care facilities, doctor's offices and does not contribute to the revenue required to help ultimately support our ultimate migration to a single payer system.

It's starting already....
"Still, Alan Ayers, a spokesman for the Urgent Care Association of America, a trade group, says urgent-care clinics provide all the same services that the house-call companies do, far more efficiently. He also asks, “What quality control is there over the clinical environment in someone’s home? Does it have the right light? Is it sanitary?”
What’s more, some office-based physicians fear that dialing up doctors like taxi rides will further fragment health-care delivery and interfere with doctor-patient relationships."

LOL. "doctor patient relationships". I love it.

My doctor is a decent guy but he's there to run a business. He jams as many patients into a day as possible, sees you for the most minimal time possible, and most of the visit is done by the Practitioner. And frankly I don't give a shit about having a relationship with him, so long as he provides quality care and doesn't misdiagnose me or something.

In other words, he's 100% replaceable for most common ailments and sicknesses.

Fragmenting health care delivery is called competition. And this competition is ABSOLUTELY WELCOME in the era of Obamacare paperwork, legalities, increased premiums and Co-Pays, etc I'm currently paying nearly 3x more per month than I used to, with higher co-pays, and my doctor's office is more slammed than ever.

$99 to come to my house, on my time, to deliver care, is perfect.

LOL. "doctor patient relationships". I love it.

My doctor is a decent guy but he's there to run a business. He jams as many patients into a day as possible, sees you for the most minimal time possible, and most of the visit is done by the Practitioner. And frankly I don't give a shit about having a relationship with him, so long as he provides quality care and doesn't misdiagnose me or something.

In other words, he's 100% replaceable for most common ailments and sicknesses.

Fragmenting health care delivery is called competition. And this competition is ABSOLUTELY WELCOME in the era of Obamacare paperwork, legalities, increased premiums and Co-Pays, etc I'm currently paying nearly 3x more per month than I used to, with higher co-pays, and my doctor's office is more slammed than ever.

$99 to come to my house, on my time, to deliver care, is perfect.
The bolded sentence is part of what the ACA is designed to address but probably won't be able to because of politics. I'd love to see the legislation changed to allow for more of this kind of competition but the idea is a hell of a start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT