ADVERTISEMENT

Yelp employee fired for open letter to CEO

WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Life is so unfair!!!
So she makes $12.50 an hour and is 25 years old, that is $26,000 a year plus benefits. What the hell do these people want to answer an f'ing phone for a living? Too bad she CHOSE to live in an expensive area. There are plenty of call centers in South Carolina that pay the same amount but your cost of living is much lower.

Why is it the CEO's fault that this women chose a career that did not pay enough to live in a location of her chosing?

Last edited:
If she accepted her role, she'd make a nice housewife. Thats the consequence of self determination. Only a certain male can master it.

It says she pays about 1200 a month for rent....is that with or without a roommate? Because I can't feel sorry for her making 12/hour and living in a one bedroom apartment. Probably lives somewhere fancy too.

Sounds like she'll be living on a fancy street soon.

It says she pays about 1200 a month for rent....is that with or without a roommate? Because I can't feel sorry for her making 12/hour and living in a one bedroom apartment. Probably lives somewhere fancy too.

I read further into it, she chose to not have a roommate and live in an expensive part of town. Plus her job gave her full benefits and had free food on each floor for its employees.

How many minimum wage employees would love to actually have benefits?! It sounds like Yelp is actually going above and beyond for even its base level employees. Seriously WTF is wrong with this new generation?

Here's her letter:

She could have written it less condescendingly and still made her point, but no. She went there. Maybe an English lit major should have gone after a job that better suited her skills. She's not an awful writer, but it's obvious working for Yelp was a bad decision. If she hated the job so much, why didn't she try to find a better one?

While her complaints are dumb and the criticisms towards her are completely warranted...i dont know why people continue to root for the bosses to have all of the money.

I read further into it, she chose to not have a roommate and live in an expensive part of town. Plus her job gave her full benefits and had free food on each floor for its employees.

How many minimum wage employees would love to actually have benefits?! It sounds like Yelp is actually going above and beyond for even its base level employees. Seriously WTF is wrong with this new generation?

I would love to have free sandwiches or whatever for lunch. Would save me $4-5 a day from bringing in a lunch.
And I think she said her rent was $1245. If she got a 2 bedroom and a roommate....lets say those rent for $1800 in her fancy complex. Split that, and save $300 a month in rent. There's your groceries for the month. Or move to a complex without the fancy amenities and save more.
#logic

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
I would love to have free sandwiches or whatever for lunch. Would save me $4-5 a day from bringing in a lunch.
And I think she said her rent was $1245. If she got a 2 bedroom and a roommate....lets say those rent for $1800 in her fancy complex. Split that, and save $300 a month in rent. There's your groceries for the month. Or move to a complex without the fancy amenities and save more.
#logic

You forgot the part where she was entitled to those fancy amenities without the aid of a roommate.

Reactions: fabknight
Not only did she burn that bridge, she just burnt other bridges in her future with this going viral. She couldn't handle working hard enough to get by and possibly even getting a promotion down the road which would make her not only able to buy groceries, but learn what it takes to get through adversity. Meanwhile, wait until she works at her next job and is told that she has to pay for her own lunch food.

Not only did she burn that bridge, she just burnt other bridges in her future with this going viral. She couldn't handle working hard enough to get by and possibly even getting a promotion down the road which would make her not only able to buy groceries, but learn what it takes to get through adversity. Meanwhile, wait until she works at her next job and is told that she has to pay for her own lunch food and health insurance.
FIFY

Reactions: Goldenbuc
Reading the letter.....
Ermigerd....you have to work in your starter department an entire year before moving to another department? Oh my gosh, NO COMPANY EVER DOES THAT. Oh wait, that's pretty much EVERY company.

....some of your coworkers are working two jobs to pay bills??.....NO ONE has EVER had to do that before. Oh wait, I have. Many times. And the jobs were not near my house, nor each other. Working 60 hours a week sucks, but it sure helps pay bills.

....Oh boy....imagine having to work holidays and weekends.... Oh wait, I did that too. Try working retail in which you work nearly every day between Thanksgiving and New Years.

Oh wow....you get free health insurance? I'm paying $50+ a month. And yes, I still have a co-pay. But I'm grateful, because I have friends who pay much more than that for insurance.

I love the responses, especially the one that posted numerous rooms for rent on CL for around 750-900/month. Well, there's your money for groceries.

And sorry/not sorry if already posted this reply:

If you think $1275 is a nice place in the bay area, you're dead wrong. She's an idiot but $1200 gets you like a 300-400 sqft studio apartment on the Oakland side of the bay. She would be able to save a lot by being roommates with someone though.

While her complaints are dumb and the criticisms towards her are completely warranted...i dont know why people continue to root for the bosses to have all of the money.

It has NOTHING to do with what anyone else in the company is making. They are valuable. Her "talents" apparently are not, yet she wants to bitch and whine all the same. There is an absolute bullshit narrative being built in this country that everyone's pay must correlate to each other''s. Bullshit. If Yelp can hire someone to do her job at the same pay then that IS the market value.

Maybe if people stopped worrying about who makes what above them, and more about their own competencies and discipline, there'd be less mindless bitching about inequality.

It's unfair that management makes more than regular employees. Do they think they're better than them? Always bossing them around and telling them what to do, it's so unfair. Everyone should be their own boss and everyone should make six figures.

Lol at 1200 being a 'fancy' apartment. What shitholes do you guys live in?
One that doesn't charge 1200 to live in a one bedroom with a gym, movie theater, garden, and all those apartment amenities that result in higher rent. All you need is a pool and a laundry room (if your apartment doesn't have hook ups).

It has NOTHING to do with what anyone else in the company is making. They are valuable. Her "talents" apparently are not, yet she wants to bitch and whine all the same. There is an absolute bullshit narrative being built in this country that everyone's pay must correlate to each other''s. Bullshit. If Yelp can hire someone to do her job at the same pay then that IS the market value.

Maybe if people stopped worrying about who makes what above them, and more about their own competencies and discipline, there'd be less mindless bitching about inequality.
Whatever. My comment was more general on the top-down narrative that anyone should be so lucky to make $25K a year for a fulltime position for a company worth millions/billions. Our economy would be much better off if people were paid according to the value to the business and not "lowest amount we can squeeze.....until you're a director and with one promotion get a 150% salary bump"

Again - while this particular case is whining about things she has control to change and the criticism is warranted ... it wouldnt be as much of an issue if young employees were rewarded well and not just backed into a corner with their student loans while the top gets a disproportionate amount of the pie. Hell my parent company just hit all of its goals and only Director and above got 10% bonuses while everyone below basically should be thankful they have a job and maybe a 1-2% bonus? Whether or not how this affects me personally - how does that shit make any sense?

My favorite part of all this are the people who looked through her Instagram and saw her posting about all the free food she's eating at work, posting about buying expensive bottles of liquor, partying, etc. I'm not saying don't enjoy your 20's but I know married couples in NYC or LA or San Fran who have a roommate because they want to live in a certain area but aren't willing to go into debt to do so. So, you know, adults.
But of course twitter loves to hate on companies so it's going crazy with the Yelp hate train

I worked renting bikes in San Francisco and literally lived in the closet under the stairs at my buddy's place for half a year, paying him $300 a month for rent. I then started working for the airline making similar money to the woman who wrote this letter and I paid $350 a month splitting 1 of the bedrooms in a 2 bedroom apartment in the city. I had no car and college debt to pay.

There are tons of people in the bay area doing similar things because the rent is so expensive. That is part of the deal if you want to live in one of the most desirable areas in the US with tons of IT job opportunities. If you work your arse off and move up like I did, then you can afford to share an apartment and have your own room after a year or two. Then you can eventually join one of the big companies and make great money. If you can't do this, then move to a cheaper place in the US or rent in the bad part of Oakland. She needs to get over it and understand that life is about compromises and if you really want something you will do what it takes to make it happen.

Whatever. My comment was more general on the top-down narrative that anyone should be so lucky to make $25K a year for a fulltime position for a company worth millions/billions. Our economy would be much better off if people were paid according to the value to the business and not "lowest amount we can squeeze.....until you're a director and with one promotion get a 150% salary bump"

Again - while this particular case is whining about things she has control to change and the criticism is warranted ... it wouldnt be as much of an issue if young employees were rewarded well and not just backed into a corner with their student loans while the top gets a disproportionate amount of the pie. Hell my parent company just hit all of its goals and only Director and above got 10% bonuses while everyone below basically should be thankful they have a job and maybe a 1-2% bonus? Whether or not how this affects me personally - how does that shit make any sense?
I always love it when the company puts out a release to its employees about being a record year. Thanks for all the hard work, you help make this company what it is. You hear rumors of the execs receiving raises/bonuses. Then when the annual reviews come around, oh you only get a 1-2% raise/bonus...

I always love it when the company puts out a release to its employees about being a record year. Thanks for all the hard work, you help make this company what it is. You hear rumors of the execs receiving raises/bonuses. Then when the annual reviews come around, oh you only get a 1-2% raise/bonus, a Christmas turkey and a company logo coffee mug.

FIFY

It cracks me up some. It's good to be king. I was a director for a while at a Company I worked for. The annual bonuses were awesome and I miss them since I switched companies. Maybe you should set your goals higher Wayne.

FIFY

It cracks me up some. It's good to be king. I was a director for a while at a Company I worked for. The annual bonuses were awesome and I miss them since I switched companies. Maybe you should set your goals higher Wayne.
I never said I had a problem with my current compensation. [winking]

Reactions: fabknight

Why should your employer give a shit about your student loans? If a person was dumb enough to go through college in a way whereby they have $100K in debt, and "needs" a certain pay level to sustain that debt, why should the employer pay it IF there is another candidate who has $10K in debt and can accept the job at a lower pay? It's not the companies' responsibility to service a person's debt.

Also, workers straight out of college are not getting a "disproportionate amount of the pie". They're getting exactly what they deserve until they prove that they're worth more to the organization. Typically people get into bonus pools with 10%+ bonuses because they've demonstrated themselves to be critical assets to the company, and thus the company responds by providing incentive to keep them. If they felt they needed to provide incentive to keep the skill sets of the young workers, they'd do it.

Lastly, I don't know of a single person who makes $25K in a full time role at a corporation with revenues of $200M. Hell, my neighbor is an admin worker at Eckerd College working 30 hours a week and she makes $32K a year.

Some people have searched her various social network accounts.

Eagle-eyed Internet users archived Instagram and Twitter images of Talia Jane indulging in a spa day with a fashionable facial mask made of Lush-brand coffee grounds; showing off her well-stocked kitchen, where she baked sumptuous cupcakes, "prosciutto-brie-cilantro-garlic biscuits," "brie-stuffed meatballs topped with brie and rosemary sprigs," "roast chuck marinated in herbs," "a s—- ton of Swedish potatoes au gratin," and "mini pumpkin pies."

In one of her richer moments (pun intended), Jane brags about having Bulleit Kentucky Bourbon delivered to her office through a smartphone app. "I've been meaning to buy whiskey," she burbles, but I always forget until after I'm phone and my pants are off" (presumably when she's under all her blankets shivering from cold and deprivation). "(A)lcohol delivery services aren't available where I live because I'm in the suburbs," so "I had alcohol delivery to my job. (O)ddly enough, no one asked about it."

Reactions: LittleMissKnight
My favorite part of all this are the people who looked through her Instagram and saw her posting about all the free food she's eating at work, posting about buying expensive bottles of liquor, partying, etc. I'm not saying don't enjoy your 20's but I know married couples in NYC or LA or San Fran who have a roommate because they want to live in a certain area but aren't willing to go into debt to do so. So, you know, adults.
For every whine, there are hundreds of people doing far more with far less. It's what utterly turned me off to "Occupy Wall Street" as well. I can understand the plight of many, but not this "lady."
But of course twitter loves to hate on companies so it's going crazy with the Yelp hate train
Yep. Or is that Yep without the L[osers]?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT