ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Houston @UCF Wed Jan 25th.

Patrick Ewing is doing flat out terrible. If Dawkins could have Georgetown 4th in Big East, they’d make tourney. Probably even lower.
Donnie Jones could maybe do that too, but doesn't make sense for Georgetown to get him. I don't see Dawkins going anywhere now, maybe right after 2019. Hard to see why UCF would offer him an extension after 2024-2025. Unless UCF doesn't think it can entice a winning coach to play in the top conference.

This article breakdowns Georgetown candidates, and Dawkins is more like a footnote bringing up that he is an academic first coach that coached at an academic institution in Stanford.

" However, he’d be a boring, unambitious hire. He failed to string together multiple great seasons at UCF and has likely found his level at the AAC."

Last edited:
Donnie Jones could maybe do that too, but doesn't make sense for Georgetown to get him. I don't see Dawkins going anywhere now, maybe right after 2019. Hard to see why UCF would offer him an extension after 2024-2025. Unless UCF doesn't think it can entice a winning coach to play in the top conference.

This article breakdowns Georgetown candidates, and Dawkins is more like a footnote bringing up that he is an academic first coach that coached at an academic institution in Stanford.

" However, he’d be a boring, unambitious hire. He failed to string together multiple great seasons at UCF and has likely found his level at the AAC."
Donnie wasn’t good at all. That’s why he’s at Stetson or wherever.

Who would come in as coach? And we have to keep Hendricks for one more year. Coaching change he might go too.

I was hoping we'd pull off the upset, but Houston was the better team even on the road. We couldn't hit the 3's and they were clutch well beyond the arc. It will be much more challenging next year. I hope Dawkins steps up on the recruiting front. Lets focus on the remainder of the schedule.
We need to quit flipping 7 or more roster spots every year or this going to continue. We need some continuity and to build teams, not cobble together players to fill a roster. I know this is tough to do under the current rules when kids can just bail for any reason but I don’t know how you can have any real success otherwise.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Dawkins can’t recruit. Look at the few guys since recruiting classes were his that are major contributors (and this is like 6 recruiting cycles so far…can’t assess the guys for the next class): Darin Green, Darius Johnson (as long as he stays another 1-2 years), and Hendricks. Go look at 2017 and on for yourself. That’s it. Lives by the transfer portal but it’s just a tease. We look good on paper but when we underperform we wait to see what he’ll pull from the transfer portal and the same thing happens again. It’s like getting all excited for your Christmas gift and it underwhelms. I don’t know how an AD can’t pick this up. I mean, either they are good with this or they need to go for a different blueprint. I honestly don’t think this will produce anything different in the future but I do agree keeping Dawkins around for the initial Big 12 season is good…as long as Hendricks stays. If he bails for whatever reason, I’m ready to move on and roll with somebody new for next season. I think right now our immediate success is based more on Hendricks decision after the season, more than anything about the staff.

Maybe Hendricks stays, though, and he can bring in another 1-2 high-tier recruits or transfers to play with us. Then the coaching isn’t such a concern because the talent will overcome any deficient coaching. Programs are being more and more what they are because of players…not coaches. It starts and ends with getting in, and constantly keeping some high-end players other kids want to play with.

Last edited:
Dawkins can’t recruit. Look at the few guys since recruiting classes were his that are major contributors (and this is like 6 recruiting cycles so far…can’t assess the guys for the next class): Darin Green, Darius Johnson (as long as he stays another 1-2 years), and Hendricks. Go look at 2017 and on for yourself. That’s it. Lives by the transfer portal but it’s just a tease. We look good on paper but when we underperform we wait to see what he’ll pull from the transfer portal and the same thing happens again. It’s like getting all excited for your Christmas gift and it underwhelms. I don’t know how an AD can’t pick this up. I mean, either they are good with this or they need to go for a different blueprint. I honestly don’t think this will produce anything different in the future but I do agree keeping Dawkins around for the initial Big 12 season is good…as long as Hendricks stays. If he bails for whatever reason, I’m ready to move on and roll with somebody new for next season. I think right now our immediate success is based more on Hendricks decision after the season, more than anything about the staff.

Maybe Hendricks stays, though, and he can bring in another 1-2 high-tier recruits or transfers to play with us. Then the coaching isn’t such a concern because the talent will overcome any deficient coaching. Programs are being more and more what they are because of players…not coaches. It starts and ends with getting in, and constantly keeping some high-end players other kids want to play with.
I’m pretty sure we are only getting Hart next season. It’s too late to get any recruits. Just portal guys left to fill holes.

I thought they actually played pretty good defense, just got killed on the glass. Plus, Houston made some really good shots. They are top 5 for a reason. Didn’t help that Hendricks was in foul trouble for much of the 2nd half
Defense was excellent but they are like a SUPER team. They were making shots that should not have gone in! :cool:

Dawkins does not instill toughness if you ask me. Mean gritty drive to basket and fight kind of mean! He's too mellow. Get some bobby knight...throw a chair once in a while.
This a billion times. Watched from row F. Took about ten minutes for me and buds to agree. UCF has 80-90 % of Houston’s talent. And max. 50% of their effort. Both on D and on rebounding.

Ooawwh. I have mask and vaccine cooties just by dropping by this place.

Dawkins does not instill toughness if you ask me. Mean gritty drive to basket and fight kind of mean! He's too mellow. Get some bobby knight...throw a chair once in a while.
Dawkins had plenty of time to build UCF basketball and has failed to do so for whatever reasons. I would not renew his contract when it expires unless he miraculousy turns it around. If he couldn't win in the AAC he most likely won't win in the Big12.

Reactions: PositYourself
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT