ADVERTISEMENT

14 hours in the car to see UCF..my take on attendance

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
I was so excited about this week's game that I took an unexpected trip from South Carolina to Orlando to see the game. Left at 9:00 on Saturday and returned on Sunday. Drove by myself. I was disappointed in the attendance but not really surprised. My observations:

1. Other than the memory mall, the tailgate seemed small and subdued.
2. Everyone was cautiously optimistic about the game, but fairly pessimistic about UCF's prospects for a decent bowl opportunity
3. The rain forecast was definitely a factor. I thought about bailing when I saw the forecast called for rain but stuck it out. However, I could see where if I had my family in tow that I would have probably bailed.
4. The on-field product was awesome. Exciting, fun, players were charged up.
5. The split student section has an effect on the noise factor.
6. There might have been 200 Memphis fans there.

SO I asked myself, "Self, why are there not more people here"? I think weather was a big factor, even though it was nice until the 3rd quarter, because people just went ahead and made other plans. But that was not it. When GOL took over there was excitement about the new coach and the prospects of joining the Big East. That lingered for years. Then we joined the Big East and the Big East fell apart. Then when Scott Frost took over there was buzz about being in the B12. Then that fell apart. Right now there is nothing on the horizon to get the "casual fan" excited about the future. I think all of the AAC teams are suffering from this syndrome right now. All of the programs have been reduced to their "die hard" fans. It says something about UCF that they get 34,000 die hards while other programs get 18,000. But that is not it totally either.

Then I rewatched the Maryland game and saw all the empty seats there. Maryland was 3-0 with a victory over Texas, were flying high and their announced attendance was 33,280. This is happening all over the country. The emphasis of college football on the national championship and downplaying of regional, conference and national rivalries and tradition (read emphasis on money) has sucked some of the joy out of college football. College football is quickly following the NFL business plan which will place emphasis on national performance rather than pull on the heartstrings of alumni which has traditionally been the base of the college fan base.

The college football business model puts more emphasis on TV screens and less emphasis on butts in the seats. Much like MLB, big colleges don't care about sell outs because their revenue really comes from TV revenue. Ever wonder why it costs $45 a ticket to see a MLB game and the stadium is empty? Because they are working to maximize revenue, not put butts in the seats.

So more observations

1. concerts don't put butts in the seats (unless the concert is in the stadium)
2. Low ticket prices will not put butts in the seats (there were tickets online for $5-$12 dollars). all it will do is reduce the amount season ticket holders will expect to pay for their seats
3. Big named teams will putt butts in the seats
4. The most important thing for UCF to focus on is to build relationships between the students and the program while they are in school because unless UCF ends up in a P5 conference they are going to be the future of the program.

I've done the drive a few times from Greenville. Might again for Homecoming. Always well worth it. I've noticed quite a few UCF stickers and flags on cars in Greenville, SC. How could we set up a Game Watch party?

Reactions: UCFhonors
2. Low ticket prices will not put butts in the seats (there were tickets online for $5-$12 dollars). all it will do is reduce the amount season ticket holders will expect to pay for their seats
4. The most important thing for UCF to focus on is to build relationships between the students and the program while they are in school because unless UCF ends up in a P5 conference they are going to be the future of the program.

Overall, I agree with you. I'll nitpick it later.

I was so excited about this week's game that I took an unexpected trip from South Carolina to Orlando to see the game. Left at 9:00 on Saturday and returned on Sunday. Drove by myself. I was disappointed in the attendance but not really surprised. My observations:

2. Everyone was cautiously optimistic about the game, but fairly pessimistic about UCF's prospects for a decent bowl opportunity
3. The rain forecast was definitely a factor. I thought about bailing when I saw the forecast called for rain but stuck it out. However, I could see where if I had my family in tow that I would have probably bailed.

SO I asked myself, "Self, why are there not more people here"? I think weather was a big factor, even though it was nice until the 3rd quarter, because people just went ahead and made other plans. But that was not it. When GOL took over there was excitement about the new coach and the prospects of joining the Big East. That lingered for years. Then we joined the Big East and the Big East fell apart. Then when Scott Frost took over there was buzz about being in the B12. Then that fell apart. Right now there is nothing on the horizon to get the "casual fan" excited about the future. I think all of the AAC teams are suffering from this syndrome right now. All of the programs have been reduced to their "die hard" fans. It says something about UCF that they get 34,000 die hards while other programs get 18,000. But that is not it totally either.

Then I rewatched the Maryland game and saw all the empty seats there. Maryland was 3-0 with a victory over Texas, were flying high and their announced attendance was 33,280. This is happening all over the country. The emphasis of college football on the national championship and downplaying of regional, conference and national rivalries and tradition (read emphasis on money) has sucked some of the joy out of college football. College football is quickly following the NFL business plan which will place emphasis on national performance rather than pull on the heartstrings of alumni which has traditionally been the base of the college fan base.

The college football business model puts more emphasis on TV screens and less emphasis on butts in the seats. Much like MLB, big colleges don't care about sell outs because their revenue really comes from TV revenue. Ever wonder why it costs $45 a ticket to see a MLB game and the stadium is empty? Because they are working to maximize revenue, not put butts in the seats.

So more observations

Thanks for sharing (and trucking down here).
Clubs in Orlando and elsewhere host touring music artists of 2000, and EVERYONE stands. One my kids attended in the club district of Orlando had 5 bars busy the entire time (and 15 bartenders). It's a different world. Lots of fans of a group traveled in from Tampa or Jacksonville because most favorite bands of the twenty somethings never make it down to Florida. The sports analogy applies well for them loyal fans. Remember that they make most of their money touring and selling "merch" rather than selling their recordings (Spotify and Apple just don't pay much).

.[/QUOTE]
Agree with the rain observation, most if not all of my friends i tailgated with, even my girlfriend, asked if id rather watch the game at a bar etc since it would rain. Obviously i said no but in the grand scheme, i feel alot of people would just go with the crowd and skip a game, watch at home/a restaurant and bar rather than sit in a wet rainy stadium. In fact that was the key complaint/concern i heard all day and why some of my friends in tampa decided not to come, they heard it was going to rain and didnt want to make the trip

We've had a packed student section since the day the OCS opened. We've had championships, star players, fun tailgating. And yet it seems like the core fanbase hasn't increased much. Why aren't the the grads from 2007-2013 coming back?

SC I agree about the Conference Realignment 'blue balls' that this fanbase was fed not helping and that also ties into how the media is covering Coach Frost also potentially hurting people from getting committed to supporting the Program. I expect it out of National Media but now UCF can't even win a game in a blowout without having to immediately read more about where he should leave by New Years Eve than why UCF itself is a great place to coach(ironically espn2 did during the Memphis game).

Bianchi and the local media shouldn't join in on that. Isn't UCF growing into a consistent power better for their business?

SC I agree about the Conference Realignment 'blue balls' that this fanbase was fed not helping and that also ties into how the media is covering Coach Frost also potentially hurting people from getting committed to supporting the Program. I expect it out of National Media but now UCF can't even win a game in a blowout without having to immediately read more about where he should leave by New Years Eve than why UCF itself is a great place to coach(ironically espn2 did during the Memphis game).

Bianchi and the local media shouldn't join in on that. Isn't UCF growing into a consistent power better for their business?
That's like asking the Sentinel to care about the people of Central Florida. They've always prostrated themselves before the big business powers in the region.

We've had a packed student section since the day the OCS opened. We've had championships, star players, fun tailgating. And yet it seems like the core fanbase hasn't increased much. Why aren't the the grads from 2007-2013 coming back?

I think a couple of things. The core fanbase has increased and it covers a good deal of the "casual fanbase" that I think we have lost. Without the OCS, UCF would be in the same boat as USF. Given the circumstances of this game I personally don't think 34,000 was too far off. I was expecting 36,000-39,000. I did not think we would sell out.

Also I think technology has changed the game big time. Although I don't understand it, many people would prefer to watch at home or a bar. There is nothing as exciting as being stuffed into a packed stadium that is electric with excited fans. How could anyone think that being home is better? But they do. Prior to 2007 there was little opportunity to watch a game except for live. Now there is replay on cable, ESPN, you tube etc... Coming from a generation of fans that if you missed the game you had to read about it in the paper or maybe catch the Gene McDowell show in Sunday morning. That is no longer the case. you can watch at your leisure and it costs you nothing. That is costing all teams at the box office.

I've done the drive a few times from Greenville. Might again for Homecoming. Always well worth it. I've noticed quite a few UCF stickers and flags on cars in Greenville, SC. How could we set up a Game Watch party?
Let me know anytime you are headed down. I am always up for a watch party. I am in Columbia, but could host or would travel a reasonable distance

I might add that this game was huge for both programs, but Memphis had almost no fans there. I am thinking that goes to show the effect the change of date (and weather) had on this game. I expect that many Memphis fans just did not have the ability to change plans and get to Orlando, like many UCF fans.

So more observations

College football attendance is down because students aren't that into football and very few teams have a chance at a Nat'l title. ESPN's "4 in" rotates between the same 6-7 teams. The argument becomes about seeding. Very boring IMO. AAC championships get you crap bowls. Why doesn't the AAC champ play the MWC champ? There is little to get excited about these days.

So more observations

It's really all about who we play. We will bring in ~30,000 +/- for just about anyone as long as we are winning. We bring in major conf foe and that number increased to 38,000-46,000. More UCF fans come to those games and then the visiting team's fans bring in 5,000.

A lot of things shared here I agree with as attendance is a complex issue such as:
1) splitting student section;
2) what does this generation prefer to watch? many are becoming soccer fans in Orlando.
3) the proper price is tricky...are there any $20-25 seats up high available on game day?
4) how many seats are purchased but not used by wealthy alumni?
5) impact of BCS rug pulled out from under our feet with no signs of getting to the big time;

Drop ticket prices...fill the seats. When the demand goes up, well.....you know the rest.

So where do we make up the revenue? Hot dog sales? How many hot dogs do you have to sell to make up the difference between a season ticket at $15 a ticket and a season ticket at $100 a ticket? The issue is not ticket prices. UCF tickets are not expensive. You can get season tickets for $99.00 . $15 a ticket. It costs that to see a movie. Single game tickets can be had for the biggest game of the season (USF) for as low as $33.00. You don't create value by lowering the price. You don't create demand by lowering the price. Tickets for the Memphis game were $12 on Ticketmaster. If someone wanted to go to the game they would have been there. They simply chose not to go.

Reactions: Lord Christopher
So where do we make up the revenue? Hot dog sales? How many hot dogs do you have to sell to make up the difference between a season ticket at $15 a ticket and a season ticket at $100 a ticket? The issue is not ticket prices. UCF tickets are not expensive. You can get season tickets for $99.00 . $15 a ticket. It costs that to see a movie. Single game tickets can be had for the biggest game of the season (USF) for as low as $33.00. You don't create value by lowering the price. You don't create demand by lowering the price. Tickets for the Memphis game were $12 on Ticketmaster. If someone wanted to go to the game they would have been there. They simply chose not to go.

What are the actual prices then? I have now heard tickets are $45 for the cheap seats and $12 on ticket master. Maybe people not knowing what the prices actually are is part of the problem. IF, and I reiterate, IF pricing is a problem, discounting does create value.

Tickets to events are like hotel rooms. You cannot put unused seats in inventory. Harris Rosen became a millionaire off of that simple concept. Such much so that UCF named our Hospitality School off his donations. The empty room gets you zero dollars. He let his front desk people negotiate prices after a certain time of night. They figured out the cost of maid service and then let the front desk people negotiate all the way down to that number. Some profit is better than none.

The same could be done for ticket prices. If people aren't buying them because of price, move it down to the point where seats are being filled. Even if it means people know they can get a last minute walk up price discount. As the ticket becomes a hotter commodity, you can do away with the discount pricing.

But a full stadium at a smaller profit is better than a 1/2 empty one with no profit.

Again, all this is assuming pricing is an issue like so many are saying it is.

Orlando City has excellent marketing. The product had potential but they are currently not doing too hot. I haven't been to a game yet this season but they fill up pretty much every game (not sure about the weekday games, but those are very few and far between.) I've been to several games from when they played at Disney to their time at Citrus Bowl. All that being said, the likely biggest factor for their successful attendance is pretty much alcohol sales, the community outreach and a tiny fraction of basically what amounts to hipsters gravitating towards soccer in recent years. UCF can certainly learn a few things from them, and they certainly took a page from their book in regards to the whole hometown team sort of marketing strategy, but alcohol sales is the biggest factor. I don't think OC games are even that cheap to be honest. Maybe now because their playoff hopes are dead, but in the beginning of the season tickets were close to triple digit prices for "marquee" matchups.

I couldn't have said it better, SC! The time and effort to attend are always the largest cost, especially with leisure time at such a premium. Back in the 60's, the predictions were for shorter work weeks. Instead, American's lead the developed world in hours worked per week, fewest vacations, and latest age of retirement. People exhausted at the end of the week, and joined at the hip with work by their mobile device. When my kids visit, they still spend down time putting out fires from the office.

After reading all of these responses, it seems like the only solution is to get into a P5 conference, win more games and play better opponents. I would be shocked if it wasn't a near sellout for UCF/USF. It's really the only time that both teams have been good and nearly equal in 9 meetings

After reading all of these responses, it seems like the only solution is to get into a P5 conference, win more games and play better opponents. I would be shocked if it wasn't a near sellout for UCF/USF. It's really the only time that both teams have been good and nearly equal in 9 meetings
That would certainly help but even that's not necessarily a given (after time of course). One would think people would prefer to see UCF play better opponents, but realistically if say the Big 12 took UCF, who would be a marquee matchup? Kansas? Texas Tech? Baylor? I know I picked the bottom feeders, but it'd still be a struggle assuming UCF isn't dominating like they are now. I really think booze is the answer and I know it's been discussed ad nauseum.

That would certainly help but even that's not necessarily a given (after time of course). One would think people would prefer to see UCF play better opponents, but realistically if say the Big 12 took UCF, who would be a marquee matchup? Kansas? Texas Tech? Baylor? I know I picked the bottom feeders, but it'd still be a struggle assuming UCF isn't dominating like they are now. I really think booze is the answer and I know it's been discussed ad nauseum.
I don't think it is, because my section is part of the Cabana down low and it's super inexpensive yet there are mostly empty seats in rows 2 and above.

I think the Maryland game was the best attended game last season.

also it's been asked what's more important revenue or filling the seats? Well maybe Danny White thinks that P5 leagues only care bout $$$#s but I think no sellouts is bad optics & at times can hurt recruiting. Frost is recruiting well but having Spectrum consistently sell out might make it even better

Maryland was Parents Weekend and that is usually one of the best attendance in most seasons.

Memphis game this year was supposed to be Patents Weekend and UCF had a ton of advanced to sold for that game plus that weekend also has some good walk up sales too.

I couldn't have said it better, SC! The time and effort to attend are always the largest cost, especially with leisure time at such a premium. Back in the 60's, the predictions were for shorter work weeks. Instead, American's lead the developed world in hours worked per week, fewest vacations, and latest age of retirement. People exhausted at the end of the week, and joined at the hip with work by their mobile device. When my kids visit, they still spend down time putting out fires from the office.

I find this spot-on. People are busy. It's hard to factor in time for a football game with a busy family. Plus, with not knowing the game time until 2 weeks before is tough to schedule around. With 2 young kids I prefer an earlier kickoff, but it's hard to know that in advance.

There is also the factor of demand. If there weren't so many tickets available for resale for such low prices, you might see more people buying their tickets further in advance. I was planning on buying the family plan this year, but didn't want to spend the money knowing that I will likely make it to 2-3 games and I can pick up great seats on the resale market if I wait until game-week.

I agree with many points here. I think price confusion is part of it. Memphis game got hurt because of rescheduling (THANKS IRMA!), and weather day-of. It ended up being great, with just a sprinkle in the 2nd half that ended quickly. But, that kept fans at bay. There was also an Orlando City game that same day, so many OCSC fans are also UCF fans. That splits the young fan base for sure.

I think UCF should coordinate with local middle schools, high schools and feeder schools (SSC and Valencia) and just offer a certain # of free tickets for those schools. They can be cheap seats, but it helps recruit students to attend UCF as well as fans for UCF Football. You could honestly do:

500 seat allotment for Valencia and SSC
50 seat allotment for 10 or so area high schools and
20 seat allotments for 25 area middle schools

That's 2,000 more people right there. Yes, it's hard to coordinate, but you need buy in, and the only way to get buy-in for the program is for them to see it in person. The ROI would be there.

also it's been asked what's more important revenue or filling the seats? Well maybe Danny White thinks that P5 leagues only care bout $$$#s but I think no sellouts is bad optics & at times can hurt recruiting. Frost is recruiting well but having Spectrum consistently sell out might make it even better

I just don't think that attendance is that important when it comes time for realignment. Money is important. Historically it has been TV sets. I dont know what will be important in the future with cable on the decline. I think UCF's size will help be a factor as does its location. Other than that who knows. But I do know that UCF needs all the money it can get to try and keep up with the big boys.

I just don't think that attendance is that important when it comes time for realignment. Money is important. Historically it has been TV sets. I dont know what will be important in the future with cable on the decline. I think UCF's size will help be a factor as does its location. Other than that who knows. But I do know that UCF needs all the money it can get to try and keep up with the big boys.
yeah I think the shift to more online streaming options can only help UCF

the Thursday night NFL game this week is streaming on Amazon Prime

College football attendance is down because students aren't that into football and very few teams have a chance at a Nat'l title. ESPN's "4 in" rotates between the same 6-7 teams. The argument becomes about seeding. Very boring IMO. AAC championships get you crap bowls. Why doesn't the AAC champ play the MWC champ? There is little to get excited about these days.

No thanks to MWC match up. We don't need big bowl vs G4.

Memphis game got hurt because of rescheduling (THANKS IRMA!), and weather day-of. It ended up being great,

I thank Irma every day, for my damaged camper that is growing a nice crop of mold inside, My leaking roof, and the lake that used to be my yard. Thank you Irma.

After reading all of these responses, it seems like the only solution is to get into a P5 conference, win more games and play better opponents.
If we get into a P5, we'll play better opponents automatically. If we don't get in, we can't.

Winning percentage is the only variable conclusively found to be unrelated to attendance, after controlling for the variables that DO affects attendance. One of those things that people believe to be true but just ain't so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT