ADVERTISEMENT

A Simple Change Transformed One of LA’s Busiest Intersections Into One of its Safest

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
Can we do this at University and Alafaya? I don't know if the current pedestrian traffic is large enough to make this practical.

The intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue is among the world’s most famous—you’ve seen it broadcast every year on the Oscars as the start of the red carpet. But like most celebrities, the tourist-thronged Los Angeles landmark had a very dark secret: It was known as one of the most dangerous intersections for pedestrians in LA. That all changed six months ago.

In November, LA’s Department of Transportation (LADOT) redesigned the intersection with a new “scramble” crosswalk (also known as a Barnes Dance). This kind of crosswalk design prevents crashes by separating pedestrians and drivers in time, meaning that vehicles are stopped in all directions while pedestrians get the intersection to themselves, then the cars get to take their turn.

Marching diagonally across the street instead of waiting for two walk signals is a transcendent experience for pedestrians who are used to timidly scurrying across crosswalks. But the best news of all, at least for those behind the wheel, is that cars are also more efficiently routed through a scramble, due to the reduction of potential conflict when they’re trying to negotiate turns (which is when most crashes occur).

So if this works so well, why not do it at every intersection? Well, price for one: LADOT estimates the cost for the conversion is about $100,000 per crosswalk. But beyond cost, the goal for each crosswalk in LA has to be considered separately. A scramble is the best solution for very high volume intersections, where there are lots of cars and people. But where pedestrian volume or budget doesn’t allow for a scramble, there are other changes that can be made. Better striping and pushing the curb out can help make walkers more visible. And signals can be programmed at no cost to create a Leading Pedestrian Interval (LPI), which brings some scramble benefits: It keeps the light red for vehicles in all directions while giving pedestrians a “head start” to cross the street before cars will try to make turns.

http://gizmodo.com/a-simple-change-transformed-one-of-la-s-busiest-interse-1779684171

Far more pedestrians there than at Univ/Alafaya. They have these in NYC too. This isn't a new concept and is really only for areas of high urban/pedestrian density. There's also traffic flow to consider. Adding the scramble phase reduces the intersection's vehicle capacity, which in turn affects the approaching roadways' capacity and flow. It might be pedestrian safe to do this at Univ/Alafaya, but how does that affect traffic on those two high volume roadways - especially on gamedays when pedestrian traffic is at its peak?

This really is the best way to go. There's too many dickheads who fail to acknowledge cross walks and nearly avoid crushing people.

Far more pedestrians there than at Univ/Alafaya. They have these in NYC too. This isn't a new concept and is really only for areas of high urban/pedestrian density. There's also traffic flow to consider. Adding the scramble phase reduces the intersection's vehicle capacity, which in turn affects the approaching roadways' capacity and flow. It might be pedestrian safe to do this at Univ/Alafaya, but how does that affect traffic on those two high volume roadways - especially on gamedays when pedestrian traffic is at its peak?
Also the intersection of University and Alafaya is enormous. The intersection in the video has no medians and no extra turn lanes...it's a straight forward 4x4x4x4. University and Alafaya is a 10x10x10x10 which would make the diagonal crosswalk well over 180 feet long; a serious hike for the average pedestrian.

Also the intersection of University and Alafaya is enormous. The intersection in the video has no medians and no extra turn lanes...it's a straight forward 4x4x4x4. University and Alafaya is a 10x10x10x10 which would make the diagonal crosswalk well over 180 feet long; a serious hike for the average pedestrian.
A serious hike...for a pedestrian... a walking person ... 180 feet...

Reactions: brahmanknight
A serious hike...for a pedestrian... a walking person ... 180 feet...
.......In front of cars and trucks with hormonal drivers of college age not paying attention to pedestrians because they're snatch-chatting or twittering or whatever and ready to run you down? Yes.

My head is on a swivel crossing a 40ft intersection. Crossing an intersection that size is something I'd always avoid.

I'm thinking something more like this....

Pedestrian-crossing-in-China1.jpg

.......In front of cars and trucks with hormonal drivers of college age not paying attention to pedestrians because they're snatch-chatting or twittering or whatever and ready to run you down? Yes.

My head is on a swivel crossing a 40ft intersection. Crossing an intersection that size is something I'd always avoid.
I wasn't pointing out that it was/wasn't dangerous. I was pointing out that you were basically saying 180 feet is too much walking for a pedestrian, which by the very definition is a walking person.

I wasn't pointing out that it was/wasn't dangerous. I was pointing out that you were basically saying 180 feet is too much walking for a pedestrian, which by the very definition is a walking person.

I was originally referring to the Frogger factor with all those lanes with the distance to walk.

frogger.gif

probably not possible bc of how flat it is and the waterline but that tunnel walkway in Tallahassee is pretty cool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT