ADVERTISEMENT

? about Coach Beckton and past opportunities

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
Current and past players are not happy about him leaving UCF. Brandon Marshall saying he should have gotten a HC Interview.

My question is anyone aware if he has had opportunities for a promotion in the past from other Universities? We know he's a good recruiter but how can Marc Daniels buy the wanting to be a HC narrative when I haven't seen any evidence of him being wanted prior to Nebraska?

Compare that with David Kelly(Oregon, FSU), Geoff Collins(Gators D Coordinator, Temple HC), and Danny Barrett(Miami Dolphins). If Florida was able to recognize Collins talent why haven't we heard about them or other Programs with more money like FSU ever wanting Beckton?

And Dabo is a lot younger. If Beckton wanted to be HC one day he probably would have left years ago if the promote from within option never happened

Guy is the Benedict Arnold of UCF.... hope the door doesn’t hit him on the way out. I don’t care how many years he’s given to UCF, he just tried to help destroy the whole program. I hope he’s never given another opportunity here especially if SF flames out at Nebraska.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Mikesi
He was supposed to go TE coach to HC? No. That's ridiculous. And it's not like Nebraska is handing him the OC job. Same position coach job with a few extra thousand dollars after taxes.

Reactions: Mikesi
Guy is the Benedict Arnold of UCF.... hope the door doesn’t hit him on the way out. I don’t care how many years he’s given to UCF, he just tried to help destroy the whole program. I hope he’s never given another opportunity here especially if SF flames out at Nebraska.
Agreed. Royally screwed us with recruiting

Last edited:
Reactions: JAFFX2
He was supposed to go TE coach to HC? No. That's ridiculous. And it's not like Nebraska is handing him the OC job. Same position coach job with a few extra thousand dollars after taxes.
Absolutely. I was a big fan. Now.., good riddance. The guy WAS loyal and is a great recruiter, but obviously he’s a lifetime position coach and not OC or HC material. Bye!

I've seen enough Beckton hate, yes he left us and people can make the case that he left for more money. Fact is he's been here with us forever and probably felt he couldn't move up. Leaving us was a career move more than anything and I hope that eventually we do see him back because I believe that he played a huge part in UCF sending many wide receivers into the NFL. Good luck to Beckton and I wish him well, hopefully we'll see him back someday.

Jeez guys...I think we're overreacting just a bit. The guy worked here for 25 years.
I don't care who leaves. There are more than a thousand capable guys to coach players in US. Probably closer to 10K coaches who would be good enough to coach us if they wanted to or were given the chance. Next man up.

No way would I ever want that Benedict Arnold back. Sorry bg no disrespect but he’s working for the enemy. Benedict Arnold once saved the early continental army from defeat but in the end like Beckton he sold out for money.

No way would I ever want that Benedict Arnold back. Sorry bg no disrespect but he’s working for the enemy. Benedict Arnold once saved the early continental army from defeat but in the end like Beckton he sold out for money.

I don't even think it was the money. Someone convinced Beck that UCF disrespected him by not considering him for OC or HC (lol) and so he bailed to take the same exact job for barely more money when you factor in the tax situation in God forsaken flyover country. Perhaps Beck should be asking why Frost didn't offer him the OC job at Nebraksa?

I don't even think it was the money. Someone convinced Beck that UCF disrespected him by not considering him for OC or HC (lol) and so he bailed to take the same exact job for barely more money when you factor in the tax situation in God forsaken flyover country. Perhaps Beck should be asking why Frost didn't offer him the OC job at Nebraksa?
Agreed

If you can be convinced that eating a shit sandwich in Nebraska is better than in Orlando, you can't really complain you aren't smart enough to be HC or OC.

Yeah, things are getting pretty crazy around here. Here's what we know about Beckton: he worked here forever, bled black-and-gold the whole time, I never heard him complain about anything, he stayed here after the other coaches left and CONTINUED RECRUITING. After meeting with Heupel, he decided to go to Nebraska.

We don't have all the information we need to say that he is a traitor, wanted more money, whatever. We don't know what happened.

Let's wait for more facts to come to light before we start branding people.

Basically after 25 years of service at UCF, the last Jedi leaves us at the most critical part of our recruiting season ((early signing period, his recruits, no other recruiters/coaches remaining, etc.) and before our 2nd New Year’s Bowl in history.

He leaves his alma mater and 12-0 team to be left with 0.000000000 coaches. Leaving to Nebraska no less adds insult to injury.

He couldn’t have stayed another 3 weeks?
Doubt he’s allowed to coach at UCF again anytime soon.

That’s how I see it. Go ahead, convince some fans otherwise

Nobody needs to convince some fans otherwise. That's why they are fans and not associated with the operations of the program. Seriously, these fans that think they are privy to everything and can speak with such conviction on issues from 100,000 above is ridiculous.

HIS players are wishing him well and telling whining fans to shut it. That's all anyone really needs to know. Anything else is just foolish pride.

Jeez guys...I think we're overreacting just a bit. The guy worked here for 25 years.

To me that says something and not positive. Certainly a very different business, but where I work many of my veteran colleagues pride themselves on being company people. After 25 years, most would never consider going elsewhere and are very proud to finish out their careers with the same company. It is actually great for recruiting our new hires. And often times when employees do leave they are very disenchanted. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence..........

Last edited:
They interviewed the Dr Philips HS coach on the radio this morning and he was asked what he thought about UCF losing all of its coaches as far as recruiting

He said, basically that he felt that it would hurt
UCF because recruiting is based on “RELATIONSHIPS.”

So 100% of our relationships have left to Nebraska. The last and arguably the most important one was coach Beckton.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
After 25 years, most would never consider going elsewhere and are very proud to finish out their careers with the same company. It is actually a great for recruiting our new hires. And often times when employees do leave they are very disenchanted. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence..........

Many people leave when management changes and you don't agree with the direction. I've done it when my company had been bought out. The people that did stay left 6 months to a year later. They key is you hear them out first, which appears Beckton did. It's not unfathomable that he didn't see a fit under Heupel. Way harder to leave a place you call home for 25 years, less on Beckton more on Heupel.

Nobody needs to convince some fans otherwise. That's why they are fans and not associated with the operations of the program. Seriously, these fans that think they are privy to everything and can speak with such conviction on issues from 100,000 above is ridiculous.

HIS players are wishing him well and telling whining fans to shut it. That's all anyone really needs to know. Anything else is just foolish pride.
As far as recruiting, what the players think
has nothing to do with that. Players are here for 3-5 years and they don’t necessarily make the best decisions for the long term future of a program. They are kids. I’m sure Danny White isn’t thrilled that the ENTIRE STAFF has left to Nebraska including support staff. Fans don’t make decisions, but sometimes it is a good idea that the players don’t either. If it was up to the players, Beckton or Walters would be the coach. Nobody is faulting them for wishing him well, but not everyone has to

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Nobody is faulting them for wishing him well, but not everyone has to
No one is forcing anyone to wish him well, people are just saying let's wait for some more information before we start making Benedict Arnold comparisons.

They interviewed the Dr Philips HS coach on the radio this morning and he was asked what he thought about UCF losing all of its coaches as far as recruiting

He said, basically that he felt that it would hurt
UCF because recruiting is based on “RELATIONSHIPS.”

So 100% of our relationships have left to Nebraska. The last and arguably the most important one was coach Beckton.

They were here 2 years? How deep of a relationship could they have.

As far as recruiting, what the players think
has nothing to do with that. Players are here for 3-5 years and they don’t necessarily make the best decisions for the long term future of a program. They are kids. I’m sure Danny White isn’t thrilled that the ENTIRE STAFF has left to Nebraska including support staff. Fans don’t make decisions, but sometimes it is a good idea that the players don’t either. If it was up to the players, Beckton or Walters would be the coach. Nobody is faulting them for wishing him well, but not everyone has to

No one is saying anyone should. What I am saying is the players actually know these people and speak to them everyday. None of these coaches even know anyone on this board. When the people that know them and have something tangible to lose and are ok with it, maybe the complete strangers should take their lead instead of going on rants calling the guy a traitor.

They were here 2 years? How deep of a relationship could they have.
That’s why the loss of Beckton and even Fisher hit so hard. It’s the relationship with the high schools, coaches, players and even ancillary high school staff over a period of years. The new staff is starting completely fresh.

Let’s not underplay the fact that the incoming coaches have their own relationships they’ll be bringing with them.

From what I have heard, Shannon is well-connected in FL (or at least S. FL).

That’s why the loss of Beckton and even Fisher hit so hard. It’s the relationship with the high schools, coaches, players and even ancillary high school staff over a period of years. The new staff is starting completely fresh

Perhaps, but Shannon and any of his new assistants can easily make up for that.......

Perhaps, but Shannon and any of his new assistants can easily make up for that.......
I think recovering from coaching losses is a lot easier in Florida than other states. Florida is so transient and so many programs recruit it from around the country that many of the HS coaches are just used to meeting and evaluating new coaches quickly.

Let’s not underplay the fact that the incoming coaches have their own relationships they’ll be bringing with them.

From what I have heard, Shannon is well-connected in FL (or at least S. FL).
Shannon has always been at a P5 school. Let's see if he can convince them to come to us. Trust me in South Florida people think AAC is the same as the MAC.

Wish Beckton the best. Have no problem with him leaving if he thinks Nebraska is a better opportunity. Schools fire coaches all the time. If Huepel flops and the team is garbage going forward do you think Beckton would be immune to being fired because of loyalty? Maybe. But his stock would definitely take a hit. Right now it couldn't be higher.

Wish Beckton the best. Have no problem with him leaving if he thinks Nebraska is a better opportunity. Schools fire coaches all the time. If Huepel flops and the team is garbage going forward do you think Beckton would be immune to being fired because of loyalty? Maybe. But his stock would definitely take a hit. Right now it couldn't be higher.

Actually, his stock could be much higher. MUCH MUCH HIGHER. All he's doing is going to the guy that higher him before, in the same position. What would make it higher? 1 someone else could be in the running to hire him. 2, he could go as OC. 3. anyone on earth except UCF and Nebraska could be talking about "hot assistants" I don't think I've ever read an article about him not written by UCF related news. Does anyone outside of the 2 schools know of him? 4. Next year he finally makes it onto a list of possible OC candidates anywhere. He's about as hot as it is outside here in Atlanta, and we've just had 10 inches of snow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT