ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Abortion Bill

lol I love how this guy writes a thousand words to do everything possible to avoid his own comments. That 37 week old child in the womb? Not alive! It's not alive until God comes down and blows a soul into its' nostrils, since Shookster knows EXACTLY how and when God gives us souls.

[roll]

lol I love how this guy writes a thousand words to do everything possible to avoid his own comments. That 37 week old child in the womb? Not alive! It's not alive until God comes down and blows a soul into its' nostrils, since Shookster knows EXACTLY how and when God gives us souls.
This debate is not about 37 week old fetuses and you know it.

What's highly suspect is for you to argue that my Christian beliefs should be overridden by yours.

The spirit enters the body at that magic moment when the first breath of life is taken. If that breath of life doesn't take place, what then? Did the soul hang out in the womb for nine months and then go away? When it comes to 'highly suspect' beliefs, that sounds like one to me.

In Luke 1:44, Elizabeth says that her unborn baby (later known as "John the Baptist"), "leaped for joy" in her womb at the sound of Mary's (the mother of Jesus) greeting. In verse 41 it says that when the unborn baby leaped in the womb that Elizabeth, the mother, was filled with the Holy Spirit.

You would agree that this passage indicates conscious life prior to birth, right?

Doesn't it also indicate spiritual life prior to birth?

Reactions: UCFKnight85
i would call Shuckster retarded but that would be insulting to people with down syndrome.

then he'd try and abort himself cuz "mUh ViAbLe PrEgNaNcY"

In Luke 1:44, Elizabeth says that her unborn baby (later known as "John the Baptist"), "leaped for joy" in her womb at the sound of Mary's (the mother of Jesus) greeting. In verse 41 it says that when the unborn baby leaped in the womb that Elizabeth, the mother, was filled with the Holy Spirit.

You would agree that this passage indicates conscious life prior to birth, right?

Doesn't it also indicate spiritual life prior to birth?

Lol! You’ve just owned him in one single post. I cannot wait to see his response.

You do know that all good Christians support abortion and it’s sanctioned by the Bible right? The unborn are just lifeless meat suits!!*

My response? Same as it was earlier today:

We seem to have forgotten in this discussion that abortions are legal for the first 21 weeks -- at least until this Alabama law and similar ones.

From a 'science' perspective, is a fetus viable during the first trimester? No

From a 'faith-based' perspective is the fetus a conscious being endowed with a soul from God? That depends on who you ask. A good Catholic or fundamentalist Christian can believe it to be true all the while attacking the beliefs of other Christians, and non-Christians who hold a contrary belief. And let's not forget non-believers.

From a government implementation perspective, how do we craft laws that reflect either viewpoint? We have lived under the pro-choice model for nearly 50 years. We know how that works. Frankly the majority of abortions take place in the first 8 weeks and all but a small minority take place within 20 weeks.

If we change the law of the land and enforce the notion that life begins at conception, how are we going to legislate it? We don't know. I'm told here that the question is 'irrelevant.' But if you listen to Alabama and the rash of other like-minded State legislatures, there are no exceptions for rape and incest. Hey, you've got to give them credit, they're at least implementing what they really believe. Screw the circumstances, women are made to be human incubators because life begins at conception.

My response? Same as it was earlier today:

Since you brought up viability, are you in agreement with laws prohibiting abortion after viability? If not, then why bring it up at all? In other words, if you think abortion should be an option until just before giving birth, what does viability have to do with anything?

Reactions: UCFWayne
Since you brought up viability, are you in agreement with laws prohibiting abortion after viability? If not, then why bring it up at all? In other words, if you think abortion should be an option until just before giving birth, what does viability have to do with anything?
I believe true life begins at birth but modern medicine can save premies earlier and earlier so I wouldn't problem with that. The vast majority of abortions take place in the first 20 weeks, the viability issue doesn't change things much.

But that's not where the Alabama law went, is it?

I believe true life begins at birth but modern medicine can save premies earlier and earlier so I wouldn't problem with that. The vast majority of abortions take place in the first 20 weeks, the viability issue doesn't change things much.

But that's not where the Alabama law went, is it?

No. But if we can agree to prohibit abortion after viability then we are much closer together on this issue than we may have realized. We can dispense with accusations of extremism and have a good-faith discussion on the morality and legality of pre-viability abortions.

So the question becomes, under what circumstances should abortion be permissible pre-viability?

No. But if we can agree to prohibit abortion after viability then we are much closer together on this issue than we may have realized. We can dispense with accusations of extremism and have a good-faith discussion on the morality and legality of pre-viability abortions.

So the question becomes, under what circumstances should abortion be permissible pre-viability?
The vast majority of abortions take place by the 21st week which is "pre-viability", correct? So if viability is the issue, there's absolutely no reason to change the status quo, correct?

I see no moderate position on this issue from the Right.

The vast majority of abortions take place by the 21st week which is "pre-viability", correct? So if viability is the issue, there's absolutely no reason to change the status quo, correct?

This illustrates why pro-life and pro-choice advocates view the other as being so unreasonable. If the relevant factor is viability, then any restriction pre-viability is arbitrary at best, and an invidious invasion into one's bodily autonomy at worst. The burden rests on the pro-choice advocate to demonstrate why viability is the relevant factor.

However, from the pro-life perspective, the relevant factor is not viability but humanity. If the unborn child is a distinct human person, then that humanity must be respected regardless of the stage of development. The burden is on the pro-life advocate to demonstrate the unborn's humanity and why that is the relevant factor.

If the electorate in one state believe the cut-off point for having an abortion is viability, then it makes sense why their laws reflect that position. If the electorate in another state believe the unborn is a distinct human person, then it makes sense why their laws are more restrictive. Based on their convictions and presuppositions, neither side is being unreasonable (even if it looks like that from the other side's perspective).

wow someone with some common sense in the wc. that is refreshing.

If the electorate in one state believe the cut-off point for having an abortion is viability, then it makes sense why their laws reflect that position.
None of the recent States who have changed their laws in defiance of the Federal government use 'viability' as their barometer.

If the electorate in another state believe the unborn is a distinct human person, then it makes sense why their laws are more restrictive.
More restrictive? If we follow the 'conscious human life begins at conception' crowd, that's an outright ban which essentially turns every woman into a government-mandated human incubator regardless of circumstance. I see nothing moderate about that position.

None of the recent States who have changed their laws in defiance of the Federal government use 'viability' as their barometer.

More restrictive? If we follow the 'onscious human life begins at conception crowd, that's an outright ban which essentially turns every woman into a government-mandated human incubator regardless of circumstance. I see nothing moderate about that position.

As far as I'm aware, only Alabama has banned abortion at any stage of development, and the Alabama law even makes an exception for the health of the mother.

Bills limiting abortions after the baby's heart begins to beat seem to represent a compromise between an outright ban and viability. You may disagree, but such laws do not turn every woman into a "government-mandated human incubator regardless of circumstance." I know you don't really believe that so why bring it up? Characterizing the opposing side's position as extreme never helps move the debate forward.

Between viability (approx. 20 weeks) and humanity (conception), perhaps a fair compromise is at 10 weeks. Agree?

Let me point out an inconsistency with the left positions here. Roughly the same number of people are murdered with guns every year as are aborted past the 20th week. There are enormous numbers of legal gun owners that never commit a gun crime and there are enormous numbers of abortions before the 20th week. With guns, you’re arguing to take away all legal uses of guns to get rid of the small number of bad uses. With abortions you’re arguing that the small number of viable baby abortions is insignificant so allow all abortions.

The difference between the two is that all abortions end the potential life of a human versus a very few number of guns end the life of a human.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Maybe its just me, but it seems like the only way a Christian or Jew could justify abortion would be in cases of rape or health of the mother being at risk. I can't find it in myself to be ok with abortion regardless of circumstance after the point of viability. If the baby can be removed dead with no more risk to the mothers health then I cant understand why removing it alive would create additional risks. It appears that there are quite a few doctors that attest to that and I haven't heard of any that make a compelling argument for the opposite. To me it goes back to "thou shalt not kill". How can you reconcile the belief that we shouldn't kill adults if we say its ok to kill babies? Then to add the fact that Moloch worship was considered one of the worst heresies in the OT it seems pretty clear that faith in God should dictate a pro-life position.

Between viability (approx. 20 weeks) and humanity (conception), perhaps a fair compromise is at 10 weeks. Agree?
I would accept that but I'm not part of the crowd who won't compromise. Ten weeks is still baby-murdering to those people.
As far as I'm aware, only Alabama has banned abortion at any stage of development, and the Alabama law even makes an exception for the health of the mother.
Even an exception for the Mother's life???!?!?!?! Wow, what amazing compromisers those Bama legislators were!!! Screw rape or incest exceptions though. A man's seed, even a rapist's, must be protected.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like the only way a Christian or Jew could justify abortion would be in cases of rape or health of the mother being at risk. I can't find it in myself to be ok with abortion regardless of circumstance after the point of viability. If the baby can be removed dead with no more risk to the mothers health then I cant understand why removing it alive would create additional risks. It appears that there are quite a few doctors that attest to that and I haven't heard of any that make a compelling argument for the opposite. To me it goes back to "thou shalt not kill". How can you reconcile the belief that we shouldn't kill adults if we say its ok to kill babies? Then to add the fact that Moloch worship was considered one of the worst heresies in the OT it seems pretty clear that faith in God should dictate a pro-life position.

Because we have someone in here claiming to be a Christian who justifies abortion by degrading the status of the unborn to worthless meat suits and hilariously uses the Creations story as a way to justify his sick, warped views

I would accept that but I'm not part of the crowd who won't compromise. Ten weeks is still baby-murdering to those people.
Even an exception for the Mother's life???!?!?!?! Wow, what amazing compromisers those Bama legislators were!!! Screw rape or incest exceptions though. A man's seed, even a rapist's, must be protected.

The problem with including rape as an exception is that its pretty hard to prove that a woman was raped within the timeframe of 21 weeks. Unless a conviction can be made that quickly, it creates an opening for abortion all the way up until the last day of the pregnancy.

Because we have someone in here claiming to be a Christian who justifies abortion by degrading the status of the unborn to worthless meat suits and hilariously uses the Creations story as a way to justify his sick, warped views
Aw, how Christian of you!

The problem with including rape as an exception is that its pretty hard to prove that a woman was raped within the timeframe of 21 weeks. Unless a conviction can be made that quickly, it creates an opening for abortion all the way up until the last day of the pregnancy.
Oops, Sorry Crazyhole, but discussions about how
the hell our government will enact all of the new laws related to overturning Roe v Wade are
not to be spoke of here.

Last edited:

Thanks for being honest and willing to compromise at 10 weeks. Most people wouldn't make such a concession. I respect your position.

I view human life beginning at conception so I'm never in favor of abortion but if every state set the cut-off point at no later than 10 weeks then we would be in a much better place than we are today.

Abortion is always a gruesome procedure which ends in the death of an innocent human life, but it gets worse with each passing date during development. If we want to be a decent society, we need to get this issue right.

The other thing about including rape is that it seems like a woman who was raped would have a rape kit done pretty quickly and the day-after pill is available. I don't know exactly how that works, but it doesn't seem like abortion to me so I can be ok with it.

The other thing about including rape is that it seems like a woman who was raped would have a rape kit done pretty quickly and the day-after pill is available. I don't know exactly how that works, but it doesn't seem like abortion to me so I can be ok with it.
You’d have to create some legal standard, such as clear and convincing evidence, in order to remove the argument point.

Oops, Sorry Crazyhole, but discussions about how
the hell our government will enact all of the new laws related to overturning Roe v Wade are
not to be spoke of here.
It seems to me that it would probably be no different than how we would handle a murder with an accomplice. The person who actually commits the murder receives the worst sentence and the accomplices receive lower ones. Each state has their own laws on how to sentence in those cases so I would say we don't need to figure out some overarching one size fits all answer on what to do about it. Overturning Roe doesn't mean that a state can't still permit abortion.

If we want to be a decent society, we need to get this issue right.
I agree with you. I would simply add the point that 'decency' goes both ways. The pregnant woman deserves our concern and respect too. It's a fine line between 'respecting life' and forcing an unwanted pregnancy on a young woman. For all the talk of 'it takes two to tango,' the woman choosing abortion is almost always facing this emotional decision alone. Too often we've seen examples of blowhard men publicly condemning abortion only to be caught in their private lives encouraging mistresses to have one.

A tad OT but relevant to how we treat pregnant women is a story I recently linked somewhere on the board about a 12-year old girl who was raped and had the baby. Nine years later, the rapist (who served time in prison for the offense) successfully sued for joint custody and had his name added to the birth certificate. Wanna bet whether the judge was male or female? :)

I would add that this conversation is just more proof of how Roe, Doe, and Casey were all poorly drafted rulings. Its why I have to laugh when any self-proclaimed libertarian is ok with them because they essentially put more authority in the hands of the federal government as opposed to the states. Roe was actually somewhat correct in the privacy rights aspect, but the following rulings used that poor wording to create a constitutionally protected right that was never intended. Perfect example of why case law is so problematic.

I agree with you. I would simply add the point that 'decency' goes both ways. The pregnant woman deserves our concern and respect too. It's a fine line between 'respecting life' and forcing an unwanted pregnancy on a young woman. For all the talk of 'it takes two to tango,' the woman choosing abortion is almost always facing this emotional decision alone. Too often we've seen examples of blowhard men publicly condemning abortion only to be caught in their private lives encouraging mistresses to have one.

A tad OT but relevant to how we treat pregnant women is a story I recently linked somewhere on the board about a 12-year old girl who was raped and had the baby. Nine years later, the rapist (who served time in prison for the offense) successfully sued for joint custody and had his name added to the birth certificate. Wanna bet whether the judge was male or female? :)

Thank you for bringing up the mothers. I agree 100%. That's why the work of crisis pregnancy centers ("CPC") are so vital to this discussion. There are far more CPC in the U.S. than abortion clinics and they offer free services while receiving little to no government funding. They will care for a mother during pregnancy and after, regardless of what she ultimately does with her baby. They assist with medical needs, financial assistance, counseling, and job placement among other services.

Most conservative churches that I am aware of will partner with a local CPC providing financial support and volunteers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT