ADVERTISEMENT

Alone in the Game

As far as the arm thing, I always thought it was a strange physical attribute and how it coincided with a man being gay. Probably just a coincidence. It's probably just a matter of revisionist history in my mind, which is why I asked the question. Another seemingly common denominator has been overly aggressive sexual behavior in the reverse. The 4 guys I referenced earlier all had a level of sexual conquest that wasn't typical. My wife's friend went through the same thing. She had an inordinate amount of sexual partners before she came out.

Eh. I know plenty of straight men who are big ole sluts.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Maybe they are? Maybe they’re not. I know gay guys who have married women.

Ok- why? I get that in the past it was done often to “blend in” but I really don’t think it’s necessary these days. At least not to the guy I knew.

It’s especially cruel to the woman

Ok- why? I get that in the past it was done often to “blend in” but I really don’t think it’s necessary these days. At least not to the guy I knew.

It’s especially cruel to the woman

It is very cruel to women.

It’s not as necessary but there are a lot of people who can’t come to terms with being gay. It’s scary. Like I said, I know people who have been disowned.

Husband was engaged to a woman (when he was very young) but finally came to terms with it and came out.

Like I pointed out many times in this thread, I do not want to force anyone to come out. I want the people who want to come out (but don't due to fear of either the media circus, their fans or their teammates) to be able to to.
They can. I'm getting tired of the 'victimization' non-sense in society. It's 25 times better today than it was 25 years ago, let alone 50. I wish some kids went through what their parents did, let alone their grandparents.

Listen, people get drunk. They say childish things -- like literally from their childhood that they wish they could undo and never have learned. Give it another generation.

The good thing is that the legal change has happened (finally). It will just take another generation to filter through, especially as the Boomers die off.

I find it very interesting that a bunch of people in here are trying to tell me, the only gay dude on here, how gays are viewed. You keep claiming no one cares.
Because we've seen good friends of ours pressured to 'come out' and other crap. Why? Someone had a political agenda, and even told them, 'you're holding us all back.'

No, they just want privacy, just like I don't want to talk about aspects of my marriage that should be no one's business either. The obsession with sexual--anything is getting old. We Americans are too immature.

If anything, that's the biggest problem. From our attitudes to STD infection rates, especially among teens, but also Boomers in their senior years too.

I have had friends kicked out of their houses, cut-off from their families. I have personally have had a drink thrown at me, been told I am not allowed to hold my boyfriends hand in public and been called a f*ggot on multiple occasions.
I'm sure you have. But those days are really numbered, and nothing like just a few years ago.

And while I'm not gay, do not forget those of us true Liberals/Libertarians who were pro-marriage equality way back in 1994. Back when the Democratic party refused to support it, and even in 2008 when every single Presidential candidate (except 1) were saying, "Against my religion" (and worse).

I'm one of the people that never put some sort of 'asterisk' on my support. Same with my wife.

People's views on LGBT people have come a long, long way - but let's not pretend it's easy to come out and no one cares. That's 100% fake news.
The problem is that there is still a lot of 'special interest' out there that I have trouble defending.

President Obama commuting Manning's sentence, for one. Listen, I'm really anti-organized religion (but pro-spirituality, and I appreciate many Christian charities), but commuting Manning's sentence really hurt some LGBTQ considerations. It's why I said do not call for Manning to be released, do not make Manning part of the community. Not a remotely good 'representative.'

It was as bad as some of Hillary's supporters saying you must vote Hillary because you're a woman, and you're weak if not. Same with voting Obama being black, or even another minority.

I personally know people - some who use this board - who use the term f*ggot regularly. I've heard it countless times at UCF sporting events to disparage opposing players.
People get drunk and say a lot of crap.

I've heard my share of LGBTQ friends get inebriated and say similar stuff too, out of frustration, but still ... it came out of a couple mouths I know.

The Golden Rule should always apply. And when people get offended because I say something about my marriage, and that it's "insensitive," it really misses the point of what it's all about. I shouldn't have to "explain myself" because I didn't use a "politically correct" term.

But at least they are few, and some of my other friends explain to them that I was there, protesting DOMA in college, with them a long time ago.

I'm a Libertarian, and this is how a lot of us feel. Pride is one thing. But complaining about all that has been accomplished is another. And it goes the other way too ...

A lot of good Christians, loving Christians, "accept all" Christians, get a lot flak. I have several colleagues who have housed refugees and are literally those types of Christians that live the word of the Gospel in how they treat others.

Don't forget that we're now building a society that stereotypes all Christians, especially the ones that provide so many things that we are heavily dependent on. Again, most people refuse to believe that charities, heavily faith based, heavily Christian, settle refugees in this country, and not the US government.

I'm tired of seeing a resurgence of Christian prosecution merely because some politician and organized 'faiths' are using Christianity as an excuse to judge and hate.

They can. I'm getting tired of the 'victimization' non-sense in society. It's 25 times better today than it was 25 years ago, let alone 50. I wish some kids went through what their parents did, let alone their grandparents.

Listen, people get drunk. They say childish things -- like literally from their childhood that they wish they could undo and never have learned. Give it another generation.

The good thing is that the legal change has happened (finally). It will just take another generation to filter through, especially as the Boomers die off.

Because we've seen good friends of ours pressured to 'come out' and other crap. Why? Someone had a political agenda, and even told them, 'you're holding us all back.'

No, they just want privacy, just like I don't want to talk about aspects of my marriage that should be no one's business either. The obsession with sexual--anything is getting old. We Americans are too immature.

If anything, that's the biggest problem. From our attitudes to STD infection rates, especially among teens, but also Boomers in their senior years too.

I'm sure you have. But those days are really numbered, and nothing like just a few years ago.

And while I'm not gay, do not forget those of us true Liberals/Libertarians who were pro-marriage equality way back in 1994. Back when the Democratic party refused to support it, and even in 2008 when every single Presidential candidate (except 1) were saying, "Against my religion" (and worse).

I'm one of the people that never put some sort of 'asterisk' on my support. Same with my wife.

The problem is that there is still a lot of 'special interest' out there that I have trouble defending.

President Obama commuting Manning's sentence, for one. Listen, I'm really anti-organized religion (but pro-spirituality, and I appreciate many Christian charities), but commuting Manning's sentence really hurt some LGBTQ considerations. It's why I said do not call for Manning to be released, do not make Manning part of the community. Not a remotely good 'representative.'

It was as bad as some of Hillary's supporters saying you must vote Hillary because you're a woman, and you're weak if not. Same with voting Obama being black, or even another minority.

I've heard my share of LGBTQ friends get inebriated and say similar stuff too, out of frustration, but still ... it came out of a couple mouths I know.

The Golden Rule should always apply. And when people get offended because I say something about my marriage, and that it's "insensitive," it really misses the point of what it's all about. I shouldn't have to "explain myself" because I didn't use a "politically correct" term.

But at least they are few, and some of my other friends explain to them that I was there, protesting DOMA in college, with them a long time ago.

I'm a Libertarian, and this is how a lot of us feel. Pride is one thing. But complaining about all that has been accomplished is another. And it goes the other way too ...

A lot of good Christians, loving Christians, "accept all" Christians, get a lot flak. I have several colleagues who have housed refugees and are literally those types of Christians that live the word of the Gospel in how they treat others.

Don't forget that we're now building a society that stereotypes all Christians, especially the ones that provide so many things that we are heavily dependent on. Again, most people refuse to believe that charities, heavily faith based, heavily Christian, settle refugees in this country, and not the US government.

I'm tired of seeing a resurgence of Christian prosecution merely because some politician and organized 'faiths' are using Christianity as an excuse to judge and hate.

It's not having to "tell people about their sexuality". It's about being able to just be you. People still very much feel they can't.

Maybe YOU (who's not even gay) believes differently but I can tell you that's not true.

Like I said, we've made progress but there are still A LOT of people who are not comfortable with it. I still feel the need to be sheltered or hide myself in certain situations.

Christian persecution = problem
Gay persecution = not problem

As a Christian I have to agree with this. I'm so tired of all the shit I get for being Christian in America. If only I was a gay athiest my life would be so easy.

I had to sit my parents down and I told them I gave my life to Jesus and they kicked me out and gave me electroshock therapy like the vice president suggested. And I asked for a cake with a cross on it and the baker told me he would have no part of my beliefs.

It's just really hard you know. I wish I could say Merry Christmas but every time I do a gay man shouts slurs in my face he called me monotheist.

If only I found men attractive I wouldn't have these problems.

It’s not offensive but it lets me know the type of person you are by your use of the word.

If you knew any special-needs children (as I do with my nephew) and the type of hurt that word conveys then you wouldn’t use it as you do. Perhaps you use it for the shock value, I don’t know.

Maybe I am being overly cautious due to personal circumstances. Sorry if that is the case.

The type of person I am? Like the kind of person who coaches a special Olympics basketball team? Believe me, I understand the struggles of working with disabled people.

I'm no more of a person that someone who is gay, black, retarded, disabled, elderly, orphaned, or whatever. People are people and everyone has value. Dont patronize me because I'm not afraid to use a term like retarded as a descriptor. It's no more offensive than saying fat, short, tall, skinny, red headed, or hairy.

And for the record, every kid I work with or have ever known that is retarded or has downs could care less about that term. Treat them like you would treat anybody else and they don't care how you describe them.

Thanks for volunteering to work with those kids.

Of course it reminded me about this hilarious scene:

Christian persecution = problem
Gay persecution = not problem
No, both are problems! Sigh ... I'm not a Republican. And I was pro-marriage equality well before it was Kosher in the Democratic party!

That's the thing. I cannot be a Democratic party member, because I was far more Liberal on "values" than the Democratic Party until just a few years ago! And on the 1st Amendment, I definitely am!

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFWayne
It's not having to "tell people about their sexuality". It's about being able to just be you. People still very much feel they can't. Maybe YOU (who's not even gay) believes differently but I can tell you that's not true.
Sigh ... my wife's best friend for most of her life was gay (he passed a few years ago, rather not talk about it -- it was over a love of his). I had gay friends for years, but being that close every day with him, living his issues for several years from early into our dating to marriage, was a really exposure for myself.

And yet ... by the '00s, he even tired of the non-sense that others pushed upon him from all directions. So, yes, I haven't been gay, but I've seen the pain from all directions inflicted on someone. It's radically different from just the early '90s today.

Like I said, we've made progress but there are still A LOT of people who are not comfortable with it. I still feel the need to be sheltered or hide myself in certain situations.
Just like there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable with Christians. And when I say 'not comfortable,' I mean they cannot be around them at all, will be rabid, will yell at them. Not remotely 'as bad' yet ... but getting there. Give it another generation.

I have a few gay friends that agree with me, and they are tired of the SJWs who inflict not just financial but even physical damage and threats on Christians.

No, both are problems! Sigh ... I'm not a Republican. And I was pro-marriage equality well before it was Kosher in the Democratic party!

That's the thing. I cannot be a Democratic party member, because I was far more Liberal on "values" than the Democratic Party until just a few years ago! And on the 1st Amendment, I definitely am!
You didn't act like it was a problem, you said "I'm getting tired of the 'victimization' non-sense in society. It's 25 times better today than it was 25 years ago, let alone 50. I wish some kids went through what their parents did, let alone their grandparents."

Basically just deal with it because it's better than it was.

I wish we didn’t have labels for any point on the spectrum. We’re all people who love who we love. While the labels give some identity and power of shared experience, I feel like they divide us more than anything at this point. They’re used too often like a hammer both by anti- and pro-. We will truly be past this when the only label we have is human.

Reactions: fabknight
I wish we didn’t have labels for any point on the spectrum. We’re all people who love who we love. While the labels give some identity and power of shared experience, I feel like they divide us more than anything at this point. They’re used too often like a hammer both by anti- and pro-. We will truly be past this when the only label we have is human.

I agree. Hopefully one day.

wtf are you talking about drunk people saying nonsense for when nobody brought up the drunk people saying nonsense issue? It's a way for you to write off and excuse that behavior, and assume that "because things are better now than 25 years ago" it must be just drunk silliness, and people should get over it? You're a real piece of work sometimes. No, the people who I KNOW who use this board - No, I won't out them - have said the F word, and others, while 1000000% sober, in a joking way because they think it's funny. They would also be the same person who says "I don't have a problem with gay people at all."

And furthermore, you're also pulling the "hey, I have gay friends, so I know wtf I'm talking about" argument to justify that people should just get over "it."

You take up a lot of space on this board, making mammoth posts to say what always amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

When people hurl slurs when drunk, it's usually stuff that they think to themselves and want to say. And do, when they lose control of inhibition.

I don't agree with that.

It's obviously not 100% but I do.

There are degrees I guess- using a shitty word in the car when drunk is different from berating someone while using that term. But it's still all feeding back to the fact that these are things a person would probably say if they didn't have their sober brain attempting to filter before it comes out. Booze simply breaks down that filter and out it comes.

Reactions: btbones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT