ADVERTISEMENT

An OT I've been wondering about...

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
This is a UCF football question that should rightly be posted elsewhere but.........since the WC apparently is an "anything goes" board, I'm going to ask it here:

Why hasn't the Big XII invited UCF and USF to join its conference??!?!

On the surface this seems like such a no-brainer except -- based on my knowledge of the Big XII conference -- brains is far less important than serious UT ass-kissing. With UCF and it's arch-rival joining, the conference would actually field 12 teams and have a much stronger national footprint. Jesus, those guys took West Virginia for crying out loud, why not UCF?

I know this was considered a few years back and was essentially scrapped but, IMHO, a lot has changed since then. Given UCF's rise in national stature and the fact that the program is likely to remain a football power given its location, coaching, and renewed fan support, this would be a win-win for UCF (P5 status, more money, and a real shot at the playoffs) and for the expanded conference (stronger competition and an opportunity for increased revenue and national exposure).

I know this is a Big XII question rather than a UCF question, but I'm curious what, if anything, you guys have heard about the possibility this could happen down the road?

Last edited:
This is a UCF football question that should rightly be posted elsewhere but.........since the WC is apparently is an "anything goes" board, I'm going to ask it here:

On the surface this seems like such a no-brainer except -- based on my knowledge of the Big XII conference -- brains is far less important than serious UT ass-kissing. With UCF and it's arch-rival joining, the conference would actually field 12 teams and have a much stronger national footprint. Jesus, those guys took West Virginia for crying out loud, why not UCF?

I know this was considered a few years back and was essentially scrapped but, IMHO, a lot has changed since then. Given UCF's rise in national stature and the fact that the program is likely to remain a football power given its location, coaching, and renewed fan support, this would be a win-win for UCF (P5 status, more money, and a real shot at the playoffs) and for the expanded conference (stronger competition and an opportunity for increased revenue and national exposure).

I know this is a Big XII question rather than a UCF question, but I'm curious what, if anything, you guys have heard about the possibility this could happen down the road?
Politics. They don’t want to share their money

Reactions: UCFWayne
Politics. They don’t want to share their money
The whole idea behind expansion is 'the better your league, the more money you make.'

With a Florida footprint, the conference would expand its TV viewership and add two universities that are more than capable of being consistent Top 25 programs.

This is a UCF football question that should rightly be posted elsewhere but.........since the WC is apparently is an "anything goes" board, I'm going to ask it here:

I don’t see it happening because with the next round of realignment Texas and Oklahoma will probably leave. Without those two, the Big 12 arguably becomes less appealing than the American.

I really don’t want the Big 12 to be honest. We go if invited obviously, but Orlando just doesn’t match with places like Ames, Lubbock, Waco, etc.

We’re a much better fit for the ACC but UM and FSU will never let that happen.

The whole idea behind expansion is 'the better your league, the more money you make.'

With a Florida footprint, the conference would expand its TV viewership and add two universities that are more than capable of being consistent Top 25 programs.
You’re preaching to the choir. Totally a head scratcher unless they have 2015 entrenched in their brains

I don’t see it happening because with the next round of realignment Texas and Oklahoma will probably leave. Without those two, the Big 12 arguably becomes less appealing than the American.
The issue with that scenario is: who would take them? The Big Ten would LOVE to get Texas but OU would be a stretch academically. They both flirted with the Pac 12 once but I don't see that route as a viable option going forward. I also don't see either of them being too keen on taking on an SEC schedule every year. Texas is used to playing the Big Dawg with a bunch of homies so frankly, I don't see them going anywhere. It's either sticking with the Big XII or going independent.

We’re a much better fit for the ACC but UM and FSU will never let that happen.
That's a shame because such a power move would certainly enhance it's profile. When it comes to CFB, Florida is the new Texas.

Redraw the map of college football right now based on success, TV, university size, and fan interest and you probably could get rid of 33% of the teams in P5 conferences right now. And I am looking at you SEC.

Tell me what Vandy, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina, and I will even throw Mizzou in there too--WTF have they done in the past 30 years that has merited inclusion into that conference??? I will wait.

The entire ACC, with the exception of FSU, Clemson, Louisville (barely), and Virginia Tech---terrible. And I say this as a UNC grad. Miami is dangerously close here since they haven't been relevant since dial-up internet.

Big 12: Baylor, Iowa St., Kansas, KState, and pretty much TTech--complete and total trash.

BigWTF10: Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Purdue, and Northwestern. Give me a fukcing break.

It took me 45 seconds to come up with this list. That's about 30 teams. Shit football, shit results, poor attendance in many cases--path to the College Football Playoff, nonetheless. Complete and total bullshit.

Redraw the map of college football right now based on success, TV, university size, and fan interest and you probably could get rid of 33% of the teams in P5 conferences right now. And I am looking at you SEC.
You nailed it, Joe! Sadly, it will never happen.

Just for fantasy sakes, here's my take on a 'revised' P5 (oops, make that P4):

ACC
Clemson - Florida St. - Louisville - UCF
Miami - Pitt - USF - Virginia Tech

SEC
Florida - Georgia - Tennessee - Alabama
Auburn - LSU - Texas A&M - Arkansas

Big XII/Pac 12
OU - Texas - USC - UCLA - Arizona St.
Oregon - Washington - Stanford - Cal

Big 10
Ohio State - Michigan - Penn State - Nebraska
Wisconsin - Michigan St. - Iowa - Notre Dame

Every team in their particular conference plays every one of their conference members each season. Each conference's champ is automatically seated in a 4-team playoff to determine the season's national champion.

Reactions: UCFWayne

Tell me what Vandy, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina, and I will even throw Mizzou in there too--WTF have they done in the past 30 years that has merited inclusion into that conference??? I will wait.

The entire ACC, with the exception of FSU, Clemson, Louisville (barely), and Virginia Tech---terrible. And I say this as a UNC grad. Miami is dangerously close here since they haven't been relevant since dial-up internet.

Big 12: Baylor, Iowa St., Kansas, KState, and pretty much TTech--complete and total trash.

BigWTF10: Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Purdue, and Northwestern. Give me a fukcing break.

It took me 45 seconds to come up with this list. That's about 30 teams. Shit football, shit results, poor attendance in many cases--path to the College Football Playoff, nonetheless. Complete and total bullshit.
Vanderbilt, Baylor, and Northwestern will pretty much always have a place in a p5 conference because they are private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT