ADVERTISEMENT

And here we go....

You have got to be kidding me.

Two losses to Navy, utter destruction by ECU last year, almost historic collapse to a one-win USF followed by the most historic collapse in UCF history to Baylor a week ago.

And Tik Tok Terry says I want some more of that.

Man I miss Danny White. At least his successes got us into the Big 12. All those gains destroyed within three years.

Last edited:
Pete Thamel reporting it was signed early this summer. It's probably being reported now because the list of coaching salaries was just published, and it showed Gus near the bottom. He's now up to $4 mil per year, goes to $5.5 mil in 2026.

Gotta win. I can see where all this is heading though. Just like the GOL era everyone was fractured towards the end of it. The GOL nut-huggers vs the haters. Both were right, both were wrong. The lowest common denominator usually takes over on sport's forums like these. After the Baylor loss and meltdown I'm leaning on the hater side, but am going just go back to, 'it is just entertainment' for me.

Congrats Coach on getting a pay raise...Now go earn it.

The larger question that has not been addressed is whether this extension affects Gus's buyout.

"As of Dec. 1, 2023, Malzahn's buyout was listed at nearly $3.6 million. It remains unclear if that changed under his new deal."

The $5.5 million per year salary and $3.6 million buyout are not enough to keep Arkansas from offering Gus.

Fan-flippin-tastic!!!

I watched that documentary on Mitch Mustain yesterday and I like Gus even less today than I did last week.

Gus is intellectually stuck in an outdated scheme. His offenses got stale at Auburn and the team had to depend on stellar defensive play to survive.

By most accounts he is a control freak, so him handing off the offense to a smarter more up to date play caller is highly unlikely. Recruiting depth will help a little, but it seems what we are now is what we will be until Gus leaves.

Maybe I’m wrong and he changes. I hope he can.

The timing of this is hilarious and pathetic

Terry really is a corrupt good ole boy
As I said in an earlier post. "He ain't going anywhere!" I also doubt AD will force him to make any changes in personnel, play calling or offense.

Reactions: Knight59
The larger question that has not been addressed is whether this extension affects Gus's buyout.

"As of Dec. 1, 2023, Malzahn's buyout was listed at nearly $3.6 million. It remains unclear if that changed under his new deal."

The $5.5 million per year salary and $3.6 million buyout are not enough to keep Arkansas from offering Gus.
I why would Arkansas want Gus?

Reactions: 90Knight
As I said in an earlier post. "He ain't going anywhere!" I also doubt AD will force him to make any changes in personnel, play calling or offense.

UCF ranks No. 4 in total offense nationally (behind Washington, Oregon, and USC three undefeated PAC-10 teams ranked in the Top 10)

UCF is in its first year out of G5 and competing with the ELITE offenses in college football, and y'all think offense is the problem.

Pete Thamel reporting it was signed early this summer. It's probably being reported now because the list of coaching salaries was just published, and it showed Gus near the bottom. He's now up to $4 mil per year, goes to $5.5 mil in 2026.
It was probably signed earlier, and this money is still pretty small compared to what he got at Auburn. That being said, financially I don't think he has an incentive to deliver. He has no reason to be hungry for delivering championship teams.

Malzahn like GOL will leave on his own terms regardless of how the team does.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
UCF got shamed into disclosing it.

Last edited:
UCF ranks No. 4 in total offense nationally (behind Washington, Oregon, and USC three undefeated PAC-10 teams ranked in the Top 10)

UCF is in its first year out of G5 and competing with the ELITE offenses in college football, and y'all think offense is the problem.
It would have been nice for the offense to show up in the 4th quarter of the Baylor game. Zero points.

Great decision by UCF! You guys are owning it in the Big 12!

Extending excellent coaches like Gus the Bus is a great way to ensure your athletic department shows continuity, stability, and will lend itself to top-notch performance by UCF football going forward.

Trust the process yall!

Very true. I've never felt so close yet so far away. We're getting tremendous offensive production with a really less-than-ideal situation (backup QB and a total mess at OL).

We have got to cut the sh!t with penalties and mistakes. From what I am seeing on gameday it's less play calling and more on-the-field penalties/mistakes that have truly cost us these last two games. Although every game there are at least 3 play calls that really make me smh in disbelief. But I believe just playing cleaner games will net us more wins with all other things remaining equal.

Total defense:
Kansas State-43rd
Baylor-89th
Kent State-93rd
Boise-119th

Also Villanova which is FBS.

We piled on vs Kent State and Nova. 700 plus and 600 plus respectively.

Total defense:
Kansas State-43rd
Baylor-89th
Kent State-93rd
Boise-119th

Also Villanova which is FBS.

We piled on vs Kent State and Nova. 700 plus and 600 plus respectively.

Prior to posting that reply, did you, at any point, consider those defenses rank low nationally *BECAUSE* they faced Gus's Citro-JUGGER-Naut offense?

Last edited:
It's just like Heupel, both are not translating to wins. Also Heupel's teams averaged about 5 more points per game.

True, but Heupel's teams couldn't stop a nose bleed against AAC competition. I can at least give a little grace to Gus because his defense is struggling against Power 5 opponents.

True, but Heupel's teams couldn't stop a nose bleed against AAC competition. I can at least give a little grace to Gus because his defense is struggling against Power 5 opponents.
Heupel was 28-8 in three years at UCF. Gus is 21-11 in two years and five games. Only the last two were against P5 teams in a P5 league.

So he’s already lost more than Heupel did in the AAC.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Heupel was 28-8 in three years at UCF. Gus is 21-11 in two years and five games. Only the last two were against P5 teams in a P5 league.

What do you think Heupel record is his first year without Milton? What do you think Gus’s record would be with a year of a healthy Milton? He was the game changer.

Gus faced and beat as many P5 programs in his first 2 seasons at UCF as Heupel did in all three years in Orlando. Both beat Georgia Tech. Gus beat Florida at a neutral site, while Heupel beat Stanford at the Bounce House. Gus also faced Louisville twice during that period as well as Duke. Gus has since faced Kansas State and Baylor in back-to-back weeks. It has been a while since UCF faced Power 5 opponents in consecutive weeks

Y'all's Savior Scott Frost was 2-2 himself against P5 programs himself, losing to Maryland and Michigan before winning at Maryland and against an unmotivated Auburn, which outgained UCF in total yards.

It's just like Heupel, both are not translating to wins. Also Heupel's teams averaged about 5 more points per game.
Heupel also had a Heisman-level QB for most of 2018. The 2019 team was still loaded, even though we were rolling with true freshman sock-boy. 2020 the wheels fell off but the point is he still had a QB playing for 2 straight seasons.

Gus is like GOL, in that he doesn’t seem good at developing QB talent. You can’t say we haven’t had quality depth: JRP, Sock Boy, Tommy C, and Mikey are all starters. Even Parker Navarro has seen snaps. Hopefully Hinshaw can be the guy to do that….tap into that Taaffe-like ability to take whatever QB is there, and make the team successful.

Reactions: Yaes
Heupel also had a Heisman-level QB for most of 2018. The 2019 team was still loaded, even though we were rolling with true freshman sock-boy. 2020 the wheels fell off but the point is he still had a QB playing for 2 straight seasons.

Gus is like GOL, in that he doesn’t seem good at developing QB talent. You can’t say we haven’t had quality depth: JRP, Sock Boy, Tommy C, and Mikey are all starters. Even Parker Navarro has seen snaps. Hopefully Hinshaw can be the guy to do that….tap into that Taaffe-like ability to take whatever QB is there, and make the team successful.
Is it developing talent or evaluating talent?

Castellanos has only been with BC since spring, he is starting, he is on pace to finish his first season with more passing TDs, more passing yards, and more rushing yards than Plumlee did in 2022.

Reactions: Endeavor.
(for now) are the operative terms.

Gus is poised to make a run at the Florida or Arkansas jobs if he wins out at UCF. Florida is the easier of the two gigs by far, but has the worse roster. The NCAA, however, just ruled that schools can sign as many players as they have scholarships available with no caps. Gus could flip Florida into contention in two years.

• Haha
Reactions: Retnuhrace
What do you think Heupel record is his first year without Milton? What do you think Gus’s record would be with a year of a healthy Milton? He was the game changer.
You also have to recall just how bare the cupboard was when Gus got here. Heupel's recruiting was not where it should have been, though that weakness has been solved at Tennessee (big-money boosters). Heup never even bothered to try and recruit Florida all that much, and Gus had to come in and work the portal hard just to field a decent team.

Is it developing talent or evaluating talent?

Castellanos has only been with BC since spring, he is starting, he is on pace to finish his first season with more passing TDs, more passing yards, and more rushing yards than Plumlee did in 2022.
How about both evaluating and developing. Not sure he is storng in either category.

(for now) are the operative terms.

Gus is poised to make a run at the Florida or Arkansas jobs if he wins out at UCF. Florida is the easier of the two gigs by far, but has the worse roster. The NCAA, however, just ruled that schools can sign as many players as they have scholarships available with no caps. Gus could flip Florida into contention in two years.
Gus is not getting the UF job. He is from Arkansas so that’s a maybe.

UF will give their coach until next year some time. Gus would have to do a complete turn around here for them to consider him. UF saw what he could do at Auburn and they are looking for more than that. They want an elite coach.

You also have to recall just how bare the cupboard was when Gus got here. Heupel's recruiting was not where it should have been, though that weakness has been solved at Tennessee (big-money boosters). Heup never even bothered to try and recruit Florida all that much, and Gus had to come in and work the portal hard just to field a decent team.
Which is kind of strange that the team on the field has the following Heupel's recruits playing major roles halfway thru Malzahn's third season.

RJ Harvey
Johnny Richardson
Alec Holler

Josh Celiscar
Tre'Mon Morris-Brash
Quadric Bullard
Corey Thorton

With transfer like Tatum Bethune, Matt Lee, Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste, Cam Goode, and Ryan O'Keefe would at the least have significant playing time, if not starters, if not team captains.

Which is kind of strange that the team on the field has the following Heupel's recruits playing major roles halfway thru Malzahn's third season.

RJ Harvey
Johnny Richardson
Alec Holler

Josh Celiscar
Tre'Mon Morris-Brash
Quadric Bullard
Corey Thorton

With transfer like Tatum Bethune, Matt Lee, Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste, Cam Goode, and Ryan O'Keefe would at the least have significant playing time, if not starters, if not team captains.
OK. Good argument. He did better than I remembered. Maybe I am just remembering the final Rivals? Seems like his classes were ranked 60-65-ish? And I never recall anyone saying he was a good recruiter. But those names don’t lie. All good, contributing guys.

Last edited:
Many were thinking 7-5 would be a decent showing in out first year in the Big XII. That's still doable . I will give Gus 2 more years here and after 4 full recruiting cycles we will know. I am not throwing the guy under his own bus yet.

He really needs to let go and trust his people on offense and defense. I know stability in coaching matters almost as much as winning . Gus recruits well and has stability. I agree some of the play calls are head scratchers, but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT