ADVERTISEMENT

Another Half-Empty Stadium

CBlackwellRN

Silver Knight
Oct 21, 2001
Orlando, Florida
drchristopherblackwell.com
“Where is everyone? Why is your stadium empty?”

That’s the text my bro sent me about 30 minutes into the game last night as he was watching us take on Memphis with my nephew back home in Clearwater on ESPN2. Last night, our Knights played in another half-empty stadium that looked glaringly so on national television. It is absolutely heartbreaking that our amazingly talented, skilled, well-coached, and fun football team cannot attract fans to the stands. I have blamed it on the way-too premature hike in season ticket prices that resulted in what now appears to be droves of fans to withhold renewal of their season tickets. Just as with the FIU game, almost the entire row behind us was empty for the Memphis game (as were several other large sections of the Stadium Club).

Perhaps the single game ticket prices are also driving would-be supporters away? Some of the fans at our tailgate who purchased tickets the day of the Memphis game said they were totally shocked at how high the prices were for available seats online through Ticketmaster. Because my friend, bro, and nephew are coming over for the USF game, I needed 3 additional seats in the Stadium Club for them. On Saturday, I dropped $450 through UCF Athletics for 3 seats in Sec 112 that are 2 rows up from the bottom of the stadium on the 18-yard line (in other words, pretty horrible seats). This really is unacceptable. But I justify it because the money is going to the university that, like all of you, is most dear to my heart.

Look, I totally understand the necessity of fundraising. I really do. But if we can’t get asses in seats, we are going to continue to look Bush league and deserving of remaining in the G-5 for eternity. UCF Athletics has GOT to do more to get the community to support the Knights. If that means creative television/ social media/ radio ad blitzes or lowering ticket prices to levels where more people can afford them, they need to do it.

Our players, coaches, and fans deserve way more than a half-empty football stadium. I know I’ve said this many times, but it certainly appears raising the prices of the tickets after a 6-7 season, just one season removed from a winless 0-12, was one helluva misfire. I am so incredibly proud of this team right now. But it is incredibly sad to see a community turn its back on a product that’s so deserving of support. It’s time for some serious introspection by UCF Athletics to make what changes are needed that can help put people in the stadium to support our Knights.

Go Knights! Beat the Bearcats... CHARGE ON!

Chris

Reactions: The Nation of UCF

That’s the text my bro sent me about 30 minutes into the game last night as he was watching us take on Memphis with my nephew back home in Clearwater on ESPN2. Last night, our Knights played in another half-empty stadium that looked glaringly so on national television. It is absolutely heartbreaking that our amazingly talented, skilled, well-coached, and fun football team cannot attract fans to the stands. I have blamed it on the way-too premature hike in season ticket prices that resulted in what now appears to be droves of fans to withhold renewal of their season tickets. Just as with the FIU game, almost the entire row behind us was empty for the Memphis game (as were several other large sections of the Stadium Club).

Perhaps the single game ticket prices are also driving would-be supporters away? Some of the fans at our tailgate who purchased tickets the day of the Memphis game said they were totally shocked at how high the prices were for available seats online through Ticketmaster. Because my friend, bro, and nephew are coming over for the USF game, I needed 3 additional seats in the Stadium Club for them. On Saturday, I dropped $450 through UCF Athletics for 3 seats in Sec 112 that are 2 rows up from the bottom of the stadium on the 18-yard line (in other words, pretty horrible seats). This really is unacceptable. But I justify it because the money is going to the university that, like all of you, is most dear to my heart.

Look, I totally understand the necessity of fundraising. I really do. But if we can’t get asses in seats, we are going to continue to look Bush league and deserving of remaining in the G-5 for eternity. UCF Athletics has GOT to do more to get the community to support the Knights. If that means creative television/ social media/ radio ad blitzes or lowering ticket prices to levels where more people can afford them, they need to do it.

Our players, coaches, and fans deserve way more than a half-empty football stadium. I know I’ve said this many times, but it certainly appears raising the prices of the tickets after a 6-7 season, just one season removed from a winless 0-12, was one helluva misfire. I am so incredibly proud of this team right now. But it is incredibly sad to see a community turn its back on a product that’s so deserving of support. It’s time for some serious introspection by UCF Athletics to make what changes are needed that can help put people in the stadium to support our Knights.

Chris
When game was about to kick off, Frost was looking around and you could tell he wasn't really happy.

Reactions: mgtaylorfl
It was a very late arriving crowd which was ridiculous. Especially when you're trying to watch the game.

The stadium was not empty after everyone was settled in. It wasn't a packed house, but it certainly wasn't a bad crowd. Louder than FIU for sure

Just saw that the announced crowd was 34,000.

It was a very late arriving crowd which was ridiculous. Especially when you're trying to watch the game.

The stadium was not empty after everyone was settled in. It wasn't a packed house, but it certainly wasn't a bad crowd. Louder than FIU for sure

Just saw that the announced crowd was 34,000.

It was an enthusiastic crowd, but not a good crowd. Pathetically small for a team that is probably going to be ranked, and is ridiculously fun to watch.

I don't know what the answer is, but what I do know is we'll never keep a coach like Frost if we can't get the community behind this team. This game has buzz surrounding it and the best we could do was 34k? Terrible.

Frost is upset and he said that Orlando missed a great game tonight Ouch.

That's probably his biggest complaint thus far.

Reactions: mgtaylorfl
I wouldn't say it was only half full but there were enough empty seats that it was embarrassing. The rest of your post is 100% on point.

I reserved judgement all year regarding the price increase because I want what's best for the school. However this was the litmus test. I think Danny screwed the pooch big time on this decision. He needs to make a change - and fast! The team deserves better than playing to that pathetically small (but incredibly supportive) crowd.

Everyone needs to email him to drop those prices and get the seats filled.

There were a lot of people outside. I don't know if Frost and White understand how our attendance works. It's built on momentum. We never had momentum during the GOL era because of the up and down seasons. Now Frost has made some great changes but 6-7 doesn't give you momentum. You won't see the increase until next year after we win 10+ games. We are still paying for 0-12.

What has become clear to be over the years is UCF has a core fanbase of around 20,000 people. That hasn't really changed since I've been a fan. The rest is made up by students and the casual fans that show up for big opponents.

Danny's challenge needs to be expanding that core group to 30,000, not trying to squeeze that 20,000 into paying for everything.

A subset of that core group is who you see at away games too. We are squeezed enough.

It was an enthusiastic crowd, but not a good crowd. Pathetically small for a team that is probably going to be ranked, and is ridiculously fun to watch.

I don't know what the answer is, but what I do know is we'll never keep a coach like Frost if we can't get the community behind this team. This game has buzz surrounding it and the best we could do was 34k? Terrible.
Couldn’t agree more bud. It’s incredibly disheartening, frustrating, and sad.

This weekend was also the Maine game. A lot of people made plans to skip the game. It was going to be 35,000 for Maine or Memphis. I've noticed that they are opening the stadium later now. It use to be 2 hours before kick off, now it's 90 minutes.

I wouldn't say it was only half full but there were enough empty seats that it was embarrassing. The rest of your post is 100% on point.

I reserved judgement all year regarding the price increase because I want what's best for the school. However this was the litmus test. I think Danny screwed the pooch big time on this decision. He needs to make a change - and fast! The team deserves better than playing to that pathetically small (but incredibly supportive) crowd.

So true. I have a TON of praise for our fans that are showing up to support our team. We are loud, boisterous, and absolutely dedicated to our Knights. We just need 10K-15K more to be at each game joining us! Athletics and the entire UCF community needs to do whatever possible to ensure that happens!

So true. I have a TON of praise for our fans that are showing up to support our team. We are loud, boisterous, and absolutely dedicated to our Knights. We just need 10K-15K more to be at each game joining us! Athletics and the entire UCF community needs to do whatever possible to ensure that happens!
Free tickets?

What has become clear to be over the years is UCF has a core fanbase of around 20,000 people. That hasn't really changed since I've been a fan. The rest is made up by students and the casual fans that show up for big opponents.

Danny's challenge needs to be expanding that core group to 30,000, not trying to squeeze that 20,000 into paying for everything.

A subset of that core group is who you see at away games too. We are squeezed enough.
Very good point about the away games. My dad and I attend one away UCF football game during each season plus whatever away bowl we may attend. It’s an anwesome opportunity to support the team and have some much-needed father-son time away from our ridiculously hectic and busy lives. UCF has had a great traveling contingency over the years. But it’s consistently the same core fans I see every year boarding the plane at the airport and in the stadium. We’ve got to expand the fan base and grow our money through more fans rather than squeezing every drop from the ones we’ve got. Obviously, that strategy isn’t working.

This weekend was also the Maine game. A lot of people made plans to skip the game. It was going to be 35,000 for Maine or Memphis. I've noticed that they are opening the stadium later now. It use to be 2 hours before kick off, now it's 90 minutes.
Sorry but that’s an inexcusably pathetic rationale. We just overwhelmingly destroyed a respectable B10 team the week before. And it shouldn’t matter who the opponent is— Plans can change. You don’t like Maine? I get it. Most didn’t. That’s why White worked to change the game back to Memphis weeks ago. So change plans to be at the game to support a great team that’s playing what is now a far more sexier opponent. Period.

Reactions: Renegade2007
I am not sure if it filled up later. I was at the game and it was pretty full. No ???? What was the announced attendance? 38,000. ?

All day rain in the forecast. Plus it rained for much of the game. I know that put a damper on the attendance. Still should have been much higher.

Sorry but that’s an inexcusably pathetic rationale. We just overwhelmingly destroyed a respectable B10 team the week before. And it shouldn’t matter who the opponent is— Plans can change. You don’t like Maine? I get it. Most didn’t. That’s why White worked to change the game back to Memphis weeks ago. So change plans to be at the game to support a great team that’s playing what is now a far more sexier opponent. Period.

Agree. The folks from outside Central Florida are not the reason we only had 34k. Those folks might be who put us over the top for a sellout, but not who make up the majority of the stands.

We make fun of USF, but our attendance suggests we aren't much better.

What I'm saying is that some people might have seen Maine on the schedule and when looking for a weekend to do something else (travel, big event, etc.), may have picked that weekend. It's going to take a ranking for the stands to fill up.

Nope. The fans need to step up and buy the tickets. Still very affordable

Reactions: UCFProf
When UCF didn't deliver, fans didn't show up. Now they do (have a "great product") and fans STILL don't show up. I don't want to hear this BS "we're playing a nobody" as I go to the games to watch UCF even if they played a pee wee team! Support your KNIGHTS dang it! Especially the students! No excuse!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CBlackwellRN
As the TV cameras panned the stadium is was quite obvious there were thousands of empty seats. Definitely not a good look for a team and conference that wants to taught P6.

Chris

I wouldn't mind super-glueing the pathetic group of fans that do show up, then leave well before the game ends.

How the hell do you leave a game like that, early? I thought Florida was football crazy. I guess not Orlando

I wouldn't mind super-glueing the pathetic group of fans that do show up, then leave well before the game ends.

How the hell do you leave a game like that, early? I thought Florida was football crazy. I guess not Orlando

At least they came to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Meh. It doesn't affect attendance at P5 schools that we want to be.
We aren’t P5. What was the attendance for the Maryland game? Less than last night? In better weather conditions. For a P5 team with hype. Not sure what P5 program “we want to be” but we aren’t going to be FSU or Florida level of attendance anytime soon.

some fans don’t like sitting there getting soaked and took shelter from the rain. Others may have had kids and took them out of the rain or left early to get home before midnight in a blowout win. I’d put more fault with those who never showed up.

u have to put some of this on the Hurricane as well. Casual fans who have damage, and have extra unplanned expenses both have work to do and less money to spend. I don't think that cost you 6k fans, but easily could have cost you 1 to 2k.

Through the years I have been attending sporting events and concerts in the Orlando area. One observation I would like to point out is Orlando fans are typically a late arriving crowd.

Washington St stadium capacity is like 33,000. There are other small stadiums and many with lower or similar attendance to ours.

P5 school Dr alums give tens of thousands or more to their school every year. Our Dr alums complain about $450...for more product (tickets). You want more low income or casual fans...give more money so the product can be less expensive.

112 are good seats. Pricing is such this year because it is in the new club. I was in 112 for many years and moved to 113 partly because of the pricing but more because I had to buy my 2 year old a full price seat for like $975. That I'm not ok with at club price. I literally moved across the aisle & closer to the field and now pay less and added a seat.

We are two home games into the season after two straight losing seasons (0-12, 6-7) and being unranked. I still have faith that week by week it will grow and we will be where we want to be by the end.

For those not attending games, this is an extremely entertaining team that is similar in excitement to the 2013 team when in "fastball mode" so they should be there.

I hope something like the Orando City game yesterday doesn't effect the student/alumni population at the games, but if they got suckered into buying season tickets to watch that nonsense maybe it does.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Agree. The folks from outside Central Florida are not the reason we only had 34k. Those folks might be who put us over the top for a sellout, but not who make up the majority of the stands.

We make fun of USF, but our attendance suggests we aren't much better.
True. We are much better than USF. Buccaneer stadium is essentially EMPTY during their games. They’re a very poor litmus for any team. But we need to do LIGHTYEARS better than what we’re doing now.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
As the TV cameras panned the stadium is was quite obvious there were thousands of empty seats. Definitely not a good look for a team and conference that wants to taught P6.
Dad just called me to congratulate us on the win. First words out of his mouth, “I couldn’t believe the thousands of empty seats in the stadium. Why can’t your school get more people to support them?”

Washington St stadium capacity is like 33,000. There are other small stadiums and many with lower or similar attendance to ours.

P5 school Dr alums give tens of thousands or more to their school every year. Our Dr alums complain about $450...for more product (tickets). You want more low income or casual fans...give more money so the product can be less expensive.

112 are good seats. Pricing is such this year because it is in the new club. I was in 112 for many years and moved to 113 partly because of the pricing but more because I had to buy my 2 year old a full price seat for like $975. That I'm not ok with at club price. I literally moved across the aisle & closer to the field and now pay less and added a seat.
I’d suggest you sit in the second row of 112 and see the view of the field then gladly fork out $450 for them. Like I wrote, I consider it charity for UCF Athletics. But if you think $450 for awful seats is worthy of “more product,” I’ve got a bridge I’d love to sell you.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
some fans don’t like sitting there getting soaked and took shelter from the rain. Others may have had kids and took them out of the rain or left early to get home before midnight in a blowout win. I’d put more fault with those who never showed up.

I don't think anyone is being critical of those who left early. It was the no-shows.

It won't be full until USF. Sorry but ECU, Uconn, and Austin Peay aren't going to be big draws, they won't bring any visiting fans and are likely to be blowouts.

It is what it is at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT