ADVERTISEMENT

Another Half-Empty Stadium

I know a lot of us hate Bianchi and 740 /96.9 The Game, but he Mike Hugunin and Kravitz really talked us up this morning and basically told fans to go to games. He said that they are missing out big time. That will help a little
yeah but I'm sure the next segment he will talk about Frost leaving UCF before New Years eve, counterproductive

also alcohol sales for the entire stadium needs to happen already, eliminate every excuse

The other thing ive noticed is since our entire stadium is metal, its extremely easy to spot open areas and the stairs enhance the empty look.
Other schools i.e. Georgia, Florida etc have seat the same color as their main colors, so on tv, you never notice empty seats because they blend in with the other fans in wearing the same color as the seats. I tried to really study other games to make sure it wasnt just us.
Absolutely, Milt -- who wants to see something nobody else wants to see? Marketing says, know what your product is!!! The product is not the game, that's just the venue and context -- casual viewers ("hey which game should we watch) can see one or more games at a sports bar, your man cave, or mobile device at a low cost, no inconvenience. The product is (1) the shared group experience (glory and loss) with others like yourself (fans of UCF, fellow alums, groups of family and friends, etc., and (2) the perceived or real power to affect the outcome by cheering, stomping, standing. It's exactly the same as with music concerts -- it's the best way to get together with your kind of people (fans of that singer). You can't get that watching a streaming video. When the Penn State scandal rocked PA football, fans freely confessed that they felt their life had been a waste or a lie: they planning their life around Nittany Lion football games (and deer hunting season, of course).

I said this back when I first followed UCF and was in the Dungeon. Simple answer....get people in the seats no matter how low the prices need to go. An ass in a seat is finacially better then no ass in a seat. UCF has to stop thinking it deserves more people..it doesn't work that way when you're trying to build a fan base. Have to showcase the product in person to get traction for future. Sell low....have great product, which it is now....and have great game day experience IN the stadium not just in a TG and people will tell people. Sell low Sell low. Get asses in the seats no matter how you do it.

I said this back when I first followed UCF and was in the Dungeon. Simple answer....get people in the seats no matter how low the prices need to go. An ass in a seat is finacially better then no ass in a seat. UCF has to stop thinking it deserves more people..it doesn't work that way when you're trying to build a fan base. Have to showcase the product in person to get traction for future. Sell low....have great product, which it is now....and have great game day experience IN the stadium not just in a TG and people will tell people. Sell low Sell low. Get asses in the seats no matter how you do it.

I agree!

Reactions: UCFhonors
LOL--- You have absolutely no idea how much money I "part with" for UCF every year. lol It's A LOT. And I am not disparaging the program whatsoever. In fact, I am praising the program but pointing out an obvious etiology for the empty seats that you seem to be oblivious to. Make all the excuses you want. But, the fact is, I have been a fervent supporter of UCF Athletics for years, gladly give thousands of dollars to the GKC/UCF Athletics yearly, and have helped establish tens of thousands of dollars in nursing scholarships through my family's foundation to the UCF College of Nursing for quite some time. So, make all the excuses you want about all the empty chairs throughout the stadium and what a great deal $450 is for essentially end zone seats in the bottom tier of the stadium. But, don't make personal attacks against me when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I would never talk bad about CN. He's a standup fan who legitimately cares about the program.

Reactions: muckdawg24
Yep. Start selling $10 seats. I can go to a Magic game for $10.

Parking alone for Fenway is $45 . $45 to see an exciting college football team sounds like a bargain to me. How much are magic game single tix?

Excellent comparison. UCF is exactly like Pro team who has 100+ great years building their fan base, one the most valuable sport franchises in the world, and is located where there is no parking.

also alcohol sales for the entire stadium needs to happen already, eliminate every excuse

I used to say the same thing until I had a meeting with the athletics dept. I can't share the numbers but alcohol sales is the incentive to buy club seats. Club seats are the lion share of our revenue. This is why they converted so much of our stadium into club seating.

What do you think of beer sold everywhere but liquor and wine only being sold in club areas? Who here would drop their tiki bar seats for cheaper seats if beer was available everywhere?

Excellent comparison. UCF is exactly like Pro team who has 100+ great years building their fan base, one the most valuable sport franchises in the world, and is located where there is no parking.
I know this won't happen and definitely understand, but maybe they should play on the road during the real hot times of the football season, play the bulk of their games in late Sept to November. Instead of tugging at their wallet, they should do a mixture of their wallet and their demand to see UCF football. Right now its being treated like it will always be there. If they cant afford to cool off and keep the fans dry, then mix up the schedule on a year to year basis and consider putting them on the road.
Why can't they go to Philly, Conneticut and Cincinatti in August? Besides much better than playing them in the cold apparently.

I used to say the same thing until I had a meeting with the athletics dept. I can't share the numbers but alcohol sales is the incentive to buy club seats. Club seats are the lion share of our revenue. This is why they converted so much of our stadium into club seating.

What do you think of beer sold everywhere but liquor and wine only being sold in club areas? Who here would drop their tiki bar seats for cheaper seats if beer was available everywhere?
charge $12 a beer... interesing to see what produced more revenue.

"An empty seat never bought a hot dog." -George O'leary
My Version:
"An empty seat never bought a craft beer." -Central Floridave

I may be in the minority but I prefer when the stadium is half full. Easier parking and I improve my cheap North end zone seats to the 50 yard line.

Go Knights!

charge $12 a beer... interesing to see what produced more revenue.

Yeah. It's not even close to break even. Rounded math: $100 season ticket vs $500 for club seat. Even across 7 games the breakeven is 5 beers per game. Sounds somewhat close but many won't buy 1. So another would have buy 10, again, just to breakeven.

The economics doesn't support your claim.

But I agree with you in principle. Very cheap tickets. But you also have to make season tickets cheaper than single game tickets. Like $15 for a single game and $80 for the cheapest season ticket or $11.42 per game. Then gradual increases once you get out of an end zone.

Pricing can build your fan base or drive them away.

Yeah. It's not even close to break even. Rounded math: $100 season ticket vs $500 for club seat. Even across 7 games the breakeven is 5 beers per game. Sounds somewhat close but many won't buy 1. So another would have buy 10, again, just to breakeven.

The economics doesn't support your claim.

But I agree with you in principle. Very cheap tickets. But you also have to make season tickets cheaper than single game tickets. Like $15 for a single game and $80 for the cheapest season ticket or $11.42 per game. Then gradual increases once you get out of an end zone.

Pricing can build your fan base or drive them away.
But with cheaper seats, more asses in seats means more beer sales....be interesting to compare. Either way, need more people in the seats.

club only offer liquor and wine(in addition to beer) then the rest of the stadium just offer beer, do an agreement with just 1 vendor

I disagree. Our fans just haven't realized what a good deal season tickets are even with the price increase. I hope we win the Peach bowl and jack prices again

But with cheaper seats, more asses in seats means more beer sales....be interesting to compare. Either way, need more people in the seats.

Yeah. I enjoy thinking about it too.

But is more full stadium about revenue, or recruiting, or helping the team, or for fan egos?

I can tell you that UCF can be louder than other teams with twice the attendance.

The Rise and Conquer initiative is all about revenue. That's how the Athletic Dept is measured. And they are the ones making all the decision. I give them an B+ overall grade.

If it was all about getting fans in the stadium we would pay other "big name" P6 schools to play us. Maryland drew 43k last year. Memphis drew the same as Cincy last year ~33k. But to do that, it would cost us millions.

This is why I don't care about full stadium. Get real fans in there and treat them well. We don't even have one generation of D1 / FBS football under our belts. It takes time to build a fan base.

I never want UCF to be filled with tshirt bandwagoners like uf and fsu are. Tshirt bandwagoners don't help you win. And winning is all I care about.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
In addition to just lower-than-hoped attendance, after living in several football cities, UCF fans seem to have the lowest tolerance for variable weather conditions (hot, warm, sunny, rainy). It barely starts misting, and people leave? Who cares if it's pouring even? The team is not quitting because it's misting or raining. Stay there and support the team.
Totally agree. As soon as the potential weather delay was mentioned overhead, the people who own season tickets next to us in 111 got up and left the game. WTH???

Chris, with so many seats open, UCF Athletics should have given you better seats but I don't think $112 is expensive for club seats since the season ticket is $800 for that section. However, by now UCF may look into giving season ticket holders the option to buy single tickets (up to 2?) in their section (except the sections with free food/drinks without the prorated donation) but that may piss off STH trying to sell their tickets.

North and South end zones should be $15 and $20 respectively.
Agreed my friend.

Absolutely, Milt -- who wants to see something nobody else wants to see? Marketing says, know what your product is!!! The product is not the game, that's just the venue and context -- casual viewers ("hey which game should we watch) can see one or more games at a sports bar, your man cave, or mobile device at a low cost, no inconvenience. The product is (1) the shared group experience (glory and loss) with others like yourself (fans of UCF, fellow alums, groups of family and friends, etc., and (2) the perceived or real power to affect the outcome by cheering, stomping, standing. It's exactly the same as with music concerts -- it's the best way to get together with your kind of people (fans of that singer). You can't get that watching a streaming video. When the Penn State scandal rocked PA football, fans freely confessed that they felt their life had been a waste or a lie: they planning their life around Nittany Lion football games (and deer hunting season, of course).

Wow, for once I agree with you on this issue. The product that is college football traditionally has been this shared experience of school affiliation (alumni). That is what attendance at games is built on. However overall the product has changed. It has become big business and the product has become whatever is good for national (not regional) television. The hunt for the national championship now dominates and anyone not in that hunt is a secondary product. Anyone in the AAC has no chance at that prize. As our fanbase is young and has been raised in the era of BCS and playoff contention they don't appreciate the pageantry and fun of playing a rival such as ECU or Memphis because it does not matter on a grand scale. UCF has to find a way to motivate their young alumni base to return to campus and relive their glory days. They have to do that without any real big name programs coming to town. Difficult task.

Reactions: GILL T
Wow, for once I agree with you on this issue. The product that is college football traditionally has been this shared experience of school affiliation (alumni). That is what attendance at games is built on. However overall the product has changed. It has become big business and the product has become whatever is good for national (not regional) television. The hunt for the national championship now dominates and anyone not in that hunt is a secondary product. Anyone in the AAC has no chance at that prize. As our fanbase is young and has been raised in the era of BCS and playoff contention they don't appreciate the pageantry and fun of playing a rival such as ECU or Memphis because it does not matter on a grand scale. UCF has to find a way to motivate their young alumni base to return to campus and relive their glory days. They have to do that without any real big name programs coming to town. Difficult task.
Thanks, but it's standard stuff, but just applied to the sports business model. I've spent many years consulting, and far to may clients don't know what their product is (or think they know but are wrong). Toy R Us just filed for bankruptcy didn't know their product wasn't toys; that's why they got clobbered by Walmart. I consulted for two declining national pro sports headquarters, and the first several months I spent just dissuading them from "stop digging when you're in a hole." Both turned thing around at least partly by radically updating their business models.

If anyone here thinks Frost would stay at UCF if we packed the house every game versus taking on a new job at Nebraska with the opportunity to play for a national championship that came in with a solid fan base and a huge pay raise is out of their mind. Is it discouraging to put in the work Scott Frost has and not see bodies in the stand? Sure. But you all are quite naive to think a packed house is going to keep him here.

If anyone here thinks Frost would stay at UCF if we packed the house every game versus taking on a new job at Nebraska with the opportunity to play for a national championship that came in with a solid fan base and a huge pay raise is out of their mind. Is it discouraging to put in the work Scott Frost has and not see bodies in the stand? Sure. But you all are quite naive to think a packed house is going to keep him here.
I'm not naive to think that a snowy house in is going to keep him here over Nebraska

Nebraska with the opportunity to play for a national championship
This is naive

If someone wanted to bet me $100,000 that Nebraska would win a NC in the next 10 years, I would take the bet that they wouldn't in a minute.

Last edited:

It's not that big of a difference in pay. He get $2.1m now and stated he took less to pay his assistances more. Nebraska HC makes $2.7m.

It's way easier to get his type of players here than in Nebraska.

Some UCF "fans" really need to stop thinking we are second class citizens.

Reactions: Mikesi
I'm not naive to think that a snowy house in is going to keep him here over Nebraska
No you're right, the climate he grew up in is going to be a major deterrent. As opposed so the permanent inferno that is Florida. Why is it that he lived in sunny Oregon for so long again?

This is naive

If someone wanted to bet me $100,000 that Nebraska would win a NC in the next 10 years, I would take the bet that they wouldn't in a minute.

What about a bet that Nebraska will play for a NC before UCF? That's the point.

No you're right, the climate he grew up in is going to be a major deterrent. As opposed so the permanent inferno that is Florida. Why is it that he lived in sunny Oregon for so long again?
Thanks for agreeing with me. I would never ever go back to those NY hell winters to raise a family and it's much much better than Nebraska.

Oregon weather and landscape vs Nebraska?? Really? You need to travel more.

It's not that big of a difference in pay. He get $2.1m now and stated he took less to pay his assistances more. Nebraska HC makes $2.7m.

Honors, enough with the cliche "Some UCF "fans" really need to stop thinking we are second class citizens." every other post. Until the AAC an automatic or "reasonable" bid to the CFP, there is only so far Scott Frost can go. Is it complete bullshit? Sure. Unfortunately everyone's angst against a monopoly situation isn't going to change anything. We'll see what happens when the chairs shift in 5 years.

Thanks for agreeing with me. I would never ever go back to those NY hell winters to raise a family and it's much much better than Nebraska.

Oregon weather and landscape vs Nebraska?? Really? You need to travel more.
Ignorant response. I'm from Washington state, Nebraska's weather is paradise compared to Oregon's. Why did Scott stay there for several years? To further his dream. Some snow is not going to be a major factor all things considered. Only a small minded person would think otherwise.

Ignorant response. I'm from Washington state, Nebraska's weather is paradise compared to Oregon's. Why did Scott stay there for several years? To further his dream. Some snow is not going to be a major factor all things considered. Only a small minded person would think otherwise.
In addition, you're comparing coaching changes of different levels. He was an OC at Oregon as a stepping stone, so you take what you can get sometimes to climb the ladder. Just like when he coached in Iowa.

If you think that weather isn't a major factor for him, his wife, and his kid/kids then you are small minded.

I hear it everyday how people are moving out of those crap weather states for years, even for much less pay. Where have you been??
Why wouid he be different?

You want to talk about another P5 team, then fine, but stop with this Nebraska paradise crap.

We can offer 3 million

Nearly 0% vs 0%?
This tells me you really have no idea what you're talking about. Let's see, the AAC that had Houston having everything going for it and still no real solid evidence it would end up in one of the four spots vs B10 that has been in every single college football playoff.

Regarding money, I am not saying Nebraska is going to be his destination - however, a job will open up that puts him in a position to further advance his career with a realistic shot at competing for a NC. That could be USC, Texas A&M or even *gasp* Nebraska. That's not a knock against UCF - that's just the reality of hiring a coach who has his shit together and can produce real results.

I have friends who live in Eugene. They love it! Have you ever lived in Nebraska?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT