ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas Fans Not Thrilled With Cure Bowl

It's been a rough season, factor in the drive, FL being more expensive and it being a home game for UCF there isn't much excitement in the fan base.

"If we are not going with winning as our one and only priority, then we need to stay home. Central Florida was 0-12 last year. They eased by a few people this year but they still suck. We had best whip some of that ass." - some Arkansas fan

Who the hell are these guys to talk like that? Oh that's right...co-champs of the sun belt. THE SUN BELT!!!

And their students and alums are much poorer than ours, which is pretty damn low, too. Getting time off for travel not easy either from today's downsized employers. Even their players' families have trouble getting here. There are almost 80 on their roster from at least as far as Louisiana. Lots from Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and of course Texas.

Reactions: UCFhonors
"If we are not going with winning as our one and only priority, then we need to stay home. Central Florida was 0-12 last year. They eased by a few people this year but they still suck. We had best whip some of that ass." - some Arkansas fan

Who the hell are these guys to talk like that? Oh that's right...co-champs of the sun belt. THE SUN BELT!!!

Relax, they're mad about our Coach saying during the celebration that they want to win the bowl game but that its important to celebrate the Seniors that dealt with so many coaching changes and built a new culture for the program.

Please don't call us "Arkansas" we are not some slop covered Pig.

And their students and alums are much poorer than ours, which is pretty damn low, too. Getting time off for travel not easy either from today's downsized employers. Even their players' families have trouble getting here. There are almost 80 on their roster from at least as far as Louisiana. Lots from Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and of course Texas.

WOW... What an assumption that people don't want to go to Florida because we're all just poor. Yeah finances may matter but not like that.

At least we didn't lose to an FCS team this year like they did.

WOW... What an assumption that people don't want to go to Florida because we're all just poor. Yeah finances may matter but not like that.
It certainly is why so many UCF supporters couldn't swing it for the 2013 Fiesta Bowl! That's the big reason. On this board since we became bowl eligible 3 weeks ago, the talk was about not being able to attend a bowl outside of Central Florida. Our still young alumni base of 300,000 grads often doesn't have the luxury of a travel time off -- even if they have vacation days, they may not be allowed to take then during this busy buying and tourism season, especially against the 83rd ranked team that lost to an obscure FCS school. Similarly, UCF's "best" win was against 89th ranked Cincy.

It certainly is why so many UCF supporters couldn't swing it for the 2013 Fiesta Bowl! That's the big reason. On this board since we became bowl eligible 3 weeks ago, the talk was about not being able to attend a bowl outside of Central Florida. Our still young alumni base of 300,000 grads often doesn't have the luxury of a travel time off -- even if they have vacation days, they may not be allowed to take then during this busy buying and tourism season, especially against the 83rd ranked team that lost to an obscure FCS school. Similarly, UCF's "best" win was against 89th ranked Cincy.

Obscure FCS team in the playoffs vs Furman at 4-7 1 season removed. Get off the high horse.

Greetings UCF fans, I am the publisher of RedWolfReport.com, the Arkansas State site on Rivals.

I feel most fans here are upset because it is a tougher draw in regards to travel costs right here at Christmas with a two week window to decide on what to do. The TV package is bad as well, because the majority of Arkansan's can't get the channel the game will be on.

Obviously the Cure Bowl is great in regards to pay out, but it simply boils down to the distance and cost of travel for many. A lot of fans are upset because the two conference title holders (Arkansas State and Appalachian State) were passed over by the first two bowls who have selection rights in the Sun Belt. New Orleans picks first, and they took Lafayette, the team with the worst record for bowl eligible teams.

As @RedWolf_Infantry noted, the fan base has been pretty salty towards the staff and others this year. The 0-4 start and loss to Lafayette has people pretty riled up, conference championship be damned.

I will check this post often, so feel free to ask any A-State related questions, and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Greetings UCF fans, I am the publisher of RedWolfReport.com, the Arkansas State site on Rivals.

I feel most fans here are upset because it is a tougher draw in regards to travel costs right here at Christmas with a two week window to decide on what to do. The TV package is bad as well, because the majority of Arkansan's can't get the channel the game will be on.

Obviously the Cure Bowl is great in regards to pay out, but it simply boils down to the distance and cost of travel for many. A lot of fans are upset because the two conference title holders (Arkansas State and Appalachian State) were passed over by the first two bowls who have selection rights in the Sun Belt. New Orleans picks first, and they took Lafayette, the team with the worst record for bowl eligible teams.

As @RedWolf_Infantry noted, the fan base has been pretty salty towards the staff and others this year. The 0-4 start and loss to Lafayette has people pretty riled up, conference championship be damned.

I will check this post often, so feel free to ask any A-State related questions, and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Welcome,

UCF fans are excited for the same reasons. No Travel costs. Playing in the Citrus Bowl for the first time since 2006. Sat night game so a good time to go to a game. It really never came down to the opponent for us. We are just glad to be home for the bowl game.

UCF is not good enough yet to feel confident vs anyone

agreed.

honestly Ark State is not a name opponent but they are co champions of Sun Belt so hopefully UCF brings A game, would hate to lose and go to an un-winning season.

Temple wins conference and plays 6-6 team, so does Ark State. Welcome to tier of conferences.

Arkansas St. fans check out Allegiant Air flights to Sanford/Orlando airport....might be an option? Good Luck regardless of if you make the trip. Congrats on a great season. CHARGE ON!

I see the Ark State fans have arrived. I would be embarrassed to lose a game to a sunbelt team honestly. I would expect a 10-14 point spread. Yes we are 1 season removed from 0-12 but that is meaningless. We demolished 6 teams and lost a bunch of close games to the best of the American. The 0-12 team was 1 year removed from 9 wins and conference champs.

Obscure FCS team in the playoffs vs Furman at 4-7 1 season removed. Get off the high horse.
Two can play that game: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
Sagarin ranks 1-AA alongside 1-A teams. Central Ark ranks 11th among 1-AA teams and 97th overall in the combined, or 19 places behind their ranking Ark St. We recall jumping to !-A two decades ago, but never lost to a I-AA again until last year's 0-12 year. Teams seldom get or accept bowl invites after an FCS loss and without any OOC victories (we only had one this season over pitiful FIU).

If you have a degree that is worth anything, then your job is not tied to the buying or tourism seasons.

A degree and a job? Why do you speak of things you do not have? I mean, that must be the reason why you have so much time to spend trolling on this board.

I remember not being happy with the Fiesta Bowl being so far away. But, I took my son, and it was obviously worth the trip! I couldn't go to Hawaii or the first Liberty Bowl trip, but I've been to every bowl since.

Reactions: Mikesi
If you have a degree that is worth anything, then your job is not tied to the buying or tourism seasons.
Plenty of fields are tied with Floridas busy season (November to just after Easter) . Hospitals and Drs offices get busy, architecture gets busy among many businesses that have management doing 12 hour days or more.

Plenty of fields are tied with Floridas busy season (November to just after Easter) . Hospitals and Drs offices get busy, architecture gets busy among many businesses that have management doing 12 hour days or more.
Nicely said, pitts! December and March are the biggest tourist months. Seasonality caused by tourism means nobody schedules vacations during peak periods. Even (especially) police, fire, and other local service jobs are swamped when there are lots of people hereabouts.

At the beginning of the year I would've labeled this as the best case scenario for us. So many close heartbreaking losses make it seem like we could've done so much better, but I'm thrilled with the progress and am excited to go to the Citrus Bowl again and see the updates. I'm sure some of the more financially stable Ark State will make the trip and really enjoy the game and all the fun things to do in this area. At least the game is on a Saturday to minimize PTO usage for the traveling fans on a M-F work schedule.

It certainly is why so many UCF supporters couldn't swing it for the 2013 Fiesta Bowl! That's the big reason.

Also there was the Dublin game against Penn State to kickoff the 2014 season that a lot of fans were planning to go to when the Fiesta Bowl bid came in. I know I couldn't do both Arizona AND Ireland within a 7 month window at that time.

Reactions: UCFProf
Fiesta Bowl investment was the best UCF related money I ever spent. But since we were a 20 point+ dog in that game I can see why some did not go. Went into debt for it, but I thought when will we ever be in the Fiesta Bowl again? Not sure that the Cure Bowl would fit that description if the shoe was on the other foot.

Reactions: HammerB08
$240 round trip tix to the vacation capital of the world. There is no excuse. Heck, we drove to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl from Orlando and ArkyState is less than an hour past there.

Fiesta Bowl investment was the best UCF related money I ever spent. But since we were a 20 point+ dog in that game I can see why some did not go. Went into debt for it, but I thought when will we ever be in the Fiesta Bowl again? Not sure that the Cure Bowl would fit that description if the shoe was on the other foot.

I bet it was worth it. I wish I could've done both. Ireland game felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity too. It was an amazing experience and would've been a perfect trip had it not been for Frickin' Sam Ficken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT