ADVERTISEMENT

Big12 Conference plays starts for UCF mens on Saturday. First 5 games.

Should have moved on after 2020-2021 season. Two years removed from NCAA run. Two seasons below .500 in conference play, record got worse both seasons. It's like we're just paying for complacency or time to pass. Certainly after last years team when you have a top-10 NBA lottery pick and in the AAC you only go 19-15 (8-10) and lose in the second round of the NIT, that should have signaled time to move on. Could have given some other coach 2 seasons to get his kids in and build their culture before Big 12 play started.

I don't think I have inflated expectations. We were going to get killed this season no matter what. This is a bigger step up in competition than for football.

What's our foundation now? Darius and Sellers? Those guys stats are going to probably take a big hit in conference play, and with only one year left to play are they even going to stick around?

Realistically, Here is what could be left for the 2024-2025 roster, and this does not look like players that are anywhere near ready to compete in Big 12 play...heck, not even competitive in the AAC:
Sylla (So)...paint
Hendricks (So)...sorry, he's here because that was the deal to get his brother. Taking up space.
Machowski (Fr)...backcourt
Emuobor (Fr)...backcourt
Mockus (Fr)...Swing-man.
Kalina (Fr)...sorry, we need better bench than this.
Poohpa (So)...sorry, we need better bench than this. I don't care about the "feel-good" story.
May (Fr)...sorry, we need better bench than this.

How do you even sell this roster to kids in the portal? I think we're going to get even worse before we make any improvements. Good thing I can at least now sell some tickets to other Big 12 fanbases and at least recoup some of my costs. Was able to pay for ~50% of my season ticket costs for this season.

BTW, the team should have been totally jacked to be playing in UCF's inaugural Big 12 game, whether outm atched or not.
Kalina, Poopha, and May are walk-on’s. Pretty drastic critiquing and criticizing non-scholarship players. They are only ever in the game if we’re down or up 25+ lol.

There are like a million other things UCF basketball is doing wrong, but upgrading the 15th, 16th, and 17th men at the end of the bench is not really a concern for me.

I was hoping for something a little more competitive last night. When that Georgia Tech game went over and they had the score up in the upper right corner it read 12-0 K-State before it even switched over. Then it switched over and saw the most ugliest style of basketball I've ever seen for UCF. The players looked timid, couldn't pass, shoot, play defense. Like I said, glad I dvr'd it and then just fast forward to the 2nd half where it just got worse.

Glad I didn't bet on UCF and I forgot to put money on kstate. Wish I did. I'm curious what the point spread will be for UCF vs Kansas coming up. Vegas oddsmakers are going hmmm...let's rethink this UCF squad...they suck....
Yikes….2 of the ranked top 20 B12 teams (BYU and TX) got beat yesterday at home by non ranked teams….tells me that some of the “not so good” B12 teams (unfortunately except for UCF) are pretty darn good….so unless there’s a miracle, basketball’s got a long hard road ahead to win many (if any) games the rest of the season

Yikes….2 of the ranked top 20 B12 teams (BYU and TX) got beat yesterday at home by non ranked teams….tells me that some of the “not so good” B12 teams (unfortunately except for UCF) are pretty darn good….so unless there’s a miracle, basketball’s got a long hard road ahead to win many (if any) games the rest of the season
going winless is probably more likely than winning a game. wonder if you can bet on that.

The announcers mentioned late in the game that Kansas will be visiting UCF with 10k fans dressed in black ready to cheer UCF on.

The announcers mentioned late in the game that Kansas will be visiting UCF with 10k fans dressed in black ready to cheer UCF on.
expectations should be more tempered compared to football but there is a line and Dawkins probably already crossed it with an AAC schedule last year.

Also UCF can not take for granted the conference we are in and how things can rapidly change despite how long a tv contract is…UCF doesn’t want to be viewed as member that is just collecting a check and not attempting to be competitive in the two biggest revenue sports and under Terry Mohajir that is the direction we seem headed till proven otherwise.

just fans but you don’t want decision makers to start believing this:

Last edited:
TM really needs to consider moving on from Dawkins. This mediocrity has gone on too long. I'd rather bring in a young energetic coach take a few years to grow and actually begin having having a plan for the future vice not having a vision. It's time to embrace the idea we're not going anywhere with Dawkins.

TM really needs to consider moving on from Dawkins. This mediocrity has gone on too long. I'd rather bring in a young energetic coach take a few years to grow and actually begin having having a plan for the future vice not having a vision. It's time to embrace the idea we're not going anywhere with Dawkins.
Dawkins is not a good coach at all. This is the best we can do coming into the first conference game against an unranked opponent? This is what Dawkins had to offer???? What a joke.

Kalina, Poopha, and May are walk-on’s. Pretty drastic critiquing and criticizing non-scholarship players. They are only ever in the game if we’re down or up 25+ lol.

There are like a million other things UCF basketball is doing wrong, but upgrading the 15th, 16th, and 17th men at the end of the bench is not really a concern for me.
We need to find better players at the end of our bench. I'll die on this hill. Don't care if they are on scholarship or not. It's all part of getting better as a program.

College sports is business now, including the players no longer being treated as "part of the program", but an employee that can be cut at any time, for no reason/cause. Players want to get paid...fine, then they need to be treated like paid professionals, just like the rest of the world of high-level athletics (since they can transfer at will each year, they need to be assessed each year to see if their services need to be retained). We need to quit acting like it is "business as usual" moving forward. Either get ahead of the curve or be behind it.

Last edited:
I doubt Dawkins will be great in B12 but if he’s let go now we lose the players coming next year. Then we’ll be the women’s team. Women were beating almost everyone in AAC and then our coach left. Not even decent anymore.

bYu is joke. a bunch of slow white dudes jacking treys all night long won't win jack in this conference. and TxT owns texas hoops. that was not a surprise.

I doubt Dawkins will be great in B12 but if he’s let go now we lose the players coming next year. Then we’ll be the women’s team. Women were beating almost everyone in AAC and then our coach left. Not even decent anymore.
It just delays the inevitable, at some point Dawkins has to leave. His players will leave, new coach will want his own players there. In the meantime, its just kicking the can down the road. Eventually the team has to start over. Dawkins only ever won when he had Donnie Jones players.

I'm using the hard rock app. I'm winning. Just gotta play smart. Don't bet on the NFL, that's a fools game. College Football is pretty predictable. College basketball somewhat as well. I only bet one or two dollars a game. It makes it interesting.

Reactions: DrPhillipsKnight
Speaking of NFL and betting. Take Kansas City over Miami Saturday 8pm. The chiefs are only 4 point favorites. Weather forecast, -5 degrees F, Miami is injured. Not going to be able to perform in this weather:

Cloudy skies with late-night snow showers. Low near -5F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

The line's up to 7 points. Being at home and given the upsets we've seen lately, I wouldn't be so quick to take Kansas here.

Speaking of NFL and betting. Take Kansas City over Miami Saturday 8pm. The chiefs are only 4 point favorites. Weather forecast, -5 degrees F, Miami is injured. Not going to be able to perform in this weather:

Cloudy skies with late-night snow showers. Low near -5F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
Weather doesn’t affect pro guys like college guys. You think Gabe Davis plays better in cold because he plays for Bills than a guy from Ohio on Dolphins?

Loss
Loss (for the team. Win for me. I get back $260 after fees for selling my Kansas tickets)
Loss
Loss
Loss
The only chance that UCF has in any of these games is luck. Coach Dawkins will never be any better than he was in the AAC. Sadly we have to live this losing until his contract expires.

Reactions: UCFsbarro
Gabe Davis is injured, I hope he plays. But, yes, people who live up North play better in the cold. They live in it so are acclimated to it. When I go up North to go snowboarding it takes me a couple days to get use to it. But, who knows. The NFL is strange for betting. But, I serously doubt Miami will beat the Chiefs in -5 degree snowy weather. I'm putting my money on KC.

UCF is NOT beating Kansas tonight. Book it.

Reactions: Robert0122
Weather doesn’t affect pro guys like college guys. You think Gabe Davis plays better in cold because he plays for Bills than a guy from Ohio on Dolphins?
If it is around 35 I would agree. But when the actual temperature will be 0 w feel likes in the negatives it will effect everyone including the home team

Ticket prices dropping on the secondary market

If it is around 35 I would agree. But when the actual temperature will be 0 w feel likes in the negatives it will effect everyone including the home team

Ticket prices dropping on the secondary market
Yes so both teams will be affected. Gabe is not from there or play college there. If. Dolphin is from Ohio and played college up north, he’d be more used to it than Gabe or any other player that lived whole life in Florida. Tua will not be used to it no. Tyreke has played in it though. That’s why they play the games and bettors end up losing.

The talent disparity between the teams is just too great, and a lot of UCF’s statistical dominance on the defensive end came against extremely weak competition. I’ll take Kansas, but in a single digit game that may be frustrating to watch at times.

Kansas 72, UCF 64

The talent disparity between the teams is just too great, and a lot of UCF’s statistical dominance on the defensive end came against extremely weak competition. I’ll take Kansas, but in a single digit game that may be frustrating to watch at times.

Kansas 72, UCF 64

Lol that close 🤣🤣🤣

It's goin going to be more like 84-55. I just read another prediction that says they think Kansas will just barely beat the spread. I'm like wha? They must not have watched a single UCF game yet. Point spread holding at 6.5. Not too late to win free money with this one. :p

VERY entertaining first half! I think we can all agree they’re hanging in there better than we imagined. I still think Kansas takes this one..

Other observations: Refs seem suspect. Dawkins doesn’t ever seem to get fired up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT