ADVERTISEMENT

"Big12 Talkin to 4 Corners"

He wasn’t following the PAC-whatever company line was he? He sounds like a legitimate free agent, which the B12 has a real shot at.

The key to the PAC-whatevers existence is the level of commitment by Ore and Wash. If they agree to a full contract GOR, everyone stays where the are…….but if they won’t sign, or try to negotiate small buyouts then that league is toast

Yep, finally quotes from an actual President (not just a VP and/or AD) of a PAC-12 member saying what we already knew and people saying otherwise are either in denial over or just downright ignorant.
Or, devil's advocate, sounds like an owner absolutely trusting his HC a week before he fires him. "I have complete....."

• Haha
Reactions: UCFBS
2 interesting articles

Big 12 future changed

No, please NO MORE G5!

Which is Fresno St president confirming Big 12's interest.

This is akin to ECU sending out fruit baskets in 2016.....not happening

Remember, the media package includes a clause on what revenue would be paid to both P5 and G5 expansion.......and G5 additions result in $0 added revenue for the league, so very little incentive to add a G5.

The ONLY way FSU (LOL) could get in is if a Ore, Wash, or Stanford want to join but can't come up with a P5 travel buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: UCFBS
UCONN, no thanks. Don’t care about their basketball teams.
You let UConn in and immediately the conference gets hammered for strength of schedule in football. It would pull the whole conference down by admitting one of the most prolific losing football programs, one which will never invest what they need to in order to be competitive in the Big XII.

If we wanted our own Vanderbilt, we could have saved travel costs and brought in usf
There’s no one in the Big XII that has any rivalry with UConn (don’t even say UCF🤣) and they’d bring nothing as travel partners. Horrid fb fan base and program and the recruiting area is lame. Sorry but football rules and if Yormack is serious about the B12 being the #3 best conference he better ignore UConn, unless they want to come as basketball only. You don’t replace Texas/Ok with UConn. Better to talk to Pitt, VT, GT, NCST, etc. once B10 and SEC raid the PAC and ACC, which they will. There’s gonna be some quality P5 teams ready to talk to the BXII. Huge mistake to jump now for any G5. Once USC/UCLA are gone, PAC12 survivors will be wanting a lifeline. Same for ACC when Clemson, FSU, UVA, Wake, or NC go to SEC/Big 10. Patience will be rewarded; don’t jump the gun and weaken our growing status with unnecessary fillers now.

I wonder if UConn is more about getting the New England TV market in the next TV negotiation? Not sure if they also bring the NY TV market since they’re so close to NYC.

There’s talk that BY is positioning the B12 to negotiate basketball separate from football …..and UConn definitely brings value for basketball. Add Gonzaga and UConn and the B12 is without question the best basketball conference.

Tv markets don’t mean anything when people don’t have tv. That’s not a factor. Fan bases mean more. ND tv market is doo doo. They have a huge fanbase. Same with Alabama and a bunch of other schools.

Tv markets don’t mean anything when people don’t have tv. That’s not a factor. Fan bases mean more. ND tv market is doo doo. They have a huge fanbase. Same with Alabama and a bunch of other schools.
Does anyone know someone who doesn’t own a TV? Not a factor? The Sports business journal disagrees and class it “The lead factor”….

”In sum, media is the lead factor in realignment driven by a combination of rights fee, commercial inventory split between the conference and school, local linear media carve-outs and production requirements and cost allocation.”

The increasing pace of conference realignment: Impact of media, brand fit and the enrollment cliff https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/OpEds/2023/03/16-Katz.aspx

ND has a National TV market so the local one matters not.

New England has a healthy size affluent market for sure…..but not a fit for Big12 football culturally. Plus, they don’t care about UConn football. Same with UMass

Reactions: UCFBS and Knight59
I wonder if UConn is more about getting the New England TV market in the next TV negotiation? Not sure if they also bring the NY TV market since they’re so close to NYC.

There’s talk that BY is positioning the B12 to negotiate basketball separate from football …..and UConn definitely brings value for basketball. Add Gonzaga and UConn and the B12 is without question the best basketball conference.
That would be awesome. Just keep them away from the football field. Far away!

would UCONN even want to make the move? going back to the Big East has worked for them and it is a ‘fit’. Big East is a good regional conference

Does anyone know someone who doesn’t own a TV? Not a factor? The Sports business journal disagrees and class it “The lead factor”….

”In sum, media is the lead factor in realignment driven by a combination of rights fee, commercial inventory split between the conference and school, local linear media carve-outs and production requirements and cost allocation.”

The increasing pace of conference realignment: Impact of media, brand fit and the enrollment cliff https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/OpEds/2023/03/16-Katz.aspx

Owning a tv has nothing to do with it. It used to be a big deal because cable subscribers would be charged whether they watched or not. People cut cord so you’re only getting 10% of households you did 20 years ago. Now they need people to watch. Ratings are more important. You are better off showing Alabama or Clemson than any school located in a large city because people won’t watch and ad revenue will suffer.

You guys have a good active board.

I'll give you my thoughts on the current subject of Conference Changes.

With respect to the B1G, if they move they will go West to the PAC Schools. USC and UCLA will be putting pressure on the B1G because they don't want to be Island Schools in the B1G. Additionally, any school that the B1G would look at would have to be an AAU Research University (The only exception would be Notre Dame). The PAC has many AAU schools.

The B1G is now exclusive with Fox Sports and ESPN/ABC lost significant broadcast content with this arrangement.

The ACC GOR's will be in effect until 2035 and will not be broken because of the financial costs inflicted on someone wanting to leave early. That is the reason Texas and Oklahoma decided to remain in the BIG 12 and not leave early.

Currently, I would rank the ACC as the 3rd most important conference of the P-5 (IMO).

ESPN/ABC is exclusively tied into the SEC/ACC conferences for broadcast rights and networks (ACCN for the ACC). The ACC is very important for ESPN/ABC for content.

What I have confidence in is that ESPN/ABC will do what is in their own best economic interest and that is why I am not really concerned about the long termed future of the ACC. I don't believe that ESPN/ABC will be a party to the SEC (100 % affliation with ESPN/ABC), B1G and Big 12 to break apart the ACC to the financial detriment of ESPN/ABC.

I suspect that a new ESPN/ABC contract will be announced several years before the expiration of ACC GOR.
(Offer a contract that would put the ACC 3rd in compensation with the P-5 and the problem is solved).
I'm sure Jim Philips has been in discussions with ESPN/ABC regarding this situation.

Have to wait and see what transpires.

An interesting thought (IMHO), since ESPN/ABC has exclusive rights to the SEC and ACC, they could semi combine a conference without combining a conference. The ACC currently plays 4 OOC games per year (Pitt OOC games 2023 include Notre Dame, West Virginia, Cincinnati and Wofford.). ESPN/ABC could request that more OOC games be played between the SEC and ACC to promote better Neilsen Ratings.
Pitt recently played a two game set (2021 and 2022) with Tennessee in which we each won one game.
Great game and fans and good Neilsen ratings. Would not be opposed to playing more SEC teams in the future for our OOC games.

Good luck in your new conference.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
The BIG12 is going after TV markets, like when B10 added crud hole Rutgers and Maryland. If u s frigging f would have built facilities the TV market would have been even bigger with them in it. Think down the road with FAUs alumni, current enrollment, and the money in Boca. Of course facility expansion which is underway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT