ADVERTISEMENT

"Big12 Talkin to 4 Corners"

PositYourself

Bronze Knight
Dec 28, 2021
Smart, after the recent article I saw about Oregon and Wa. only waiting for Big 10 to call, and willing to take less than other members just to get in. And, never call another G5 again. Don't water it down and become AAC part II. Let the Pac do that.

Reactions: Mad Cat
First time watching ESPN talk show Pardon the Interruption in like a year and had to turn it off. Watching these two bozos talk about the potential 4 corner schools going to the Big12 and both saying the schools shouldn't go, that the Pac12 is more "glamorous" than the Big12 and go on to say "You can't compare the B12 schools of Texas Tech, Iowa State, and West Virginia to Pac12 schools like Stanford and Oregon!"

I can't believe these people get paid for this kind of analysis. What they're saying is so elementary, no real analysis, just dry commentary and thinking about conference status or team's status back 20-30yrs ago. Thanks for comparing the two of the bottom feeder schools and not putting TCU who just competed for a championship last year. Or when they said "The Big12 is losing major football footing in Oklahoma and Texas who are good, traditional football schools" - Wtf. Texas hasn't done diddlysquat in 20+yrs. It's this kind of stupid commentary that people who don't follow anything other than the SEC still have this antique/boomer mindset. Who say "Who has Central Florida played? Florida or Miami would kill you guys." Please stop watching this crap if you do. YouTubers have 20x better analysis than these geezers. Even the Sports365 guys are really good and go into the weeds. I'm hoping all these current football analysts on ESPN lose their jobs in the near future.

I think the 4 corner schools would be a good grab and fill that late night time slot. Might mean an 8:30 kickoff but with the rules they are suggesting changing to speed up the game, I think we won't see so many 4 hour games. IMO, if the 4 corner schools jump, stop there unless Oregon and UW want to come along. Then by all means yes, even though it is likely they will leave a short time later. If not, great. But I believe the ACC is next on the chopping block, after the Pac. I know the SEC is eyeing about 6-7 schools in the ACC and the Big 10 is eying a bunch too. If the Big 10 take Oregon and Wash, that leaves them room for 2 ACC schools, 4 could go to the SEC, if the Big 12 could poach 4 schools you might have enough schools to override the GOR, I don't know the particulars, if it would require 8, 10, or more schools to override.

Assuming the GOR can be overridden, I think a lot would hinge on UNC. UNC has been courted by the SEC in the past and I would imagine UNC would be the top pick of the Big 10 followed by UVA and Miami. I'm guessing the top 3 of the SEC in no order would be FSU, Clemson and UNC. Georgia Tech is interesting for the Big 10 because it would give the Big 10 a presence in the Atlanta area as well as the state of Georgia. My gut tells me that if UNC were to go to the SEC, the Big 10 would take 2 ACC schools (UVA and Miami) and Oregon and UW to get to 20. The SEC would go after Va tech, FSU, UNC and Clemson. We could add NC State, Louisville, Ga Tech and Pitt. I would prefer those 4 schools over any G5 schools (maybe Memphis to tie the east coast schools back to the rest of the league) or whatever is left of the Pac. However, if we did add a Cali school, we might be the only conference in the 6 biggest recruiting states: TX, FL, OH, GA, PA, CA.

Just goes to show you most people don’t actually watch college football, including the people whose job it is to report on it. Not much different than a lot of you box score watchers here. Lots of casual fans out there though, and those types follow the talking heads. It is what it is.

and pick up (I can't believe I'm about to say this) USF
If you have a UCF degree it is time to send it back.....a true UCF fan would never write this.

Pick up 4 corner schools to 16, extend an olive branch to Stanford, and wait for the ACC to break up and get 3-4 of them.

• Haha
Reactions: LemmyKilmister
If you have a UCF degree it is time to send it back.....a true UCF fan would never write this.

Pick up 4 corner schools to 16, extend an olive branch to Stanford, and wait for the ACC to break up and get 3-4 of them.
Well at some point UCF will need (and would be nice) some sort of regional rival whether it be USF, UM or FSU.

We're on an island atm.

Well at some point UCF will need (and would be nice) some sort of regional rival whether it be USF, UM or FSU.

We're on an island atm.
New Big XII contract says no more G5 teams or revenue streams will be reduced. Having SFU in our league again would suck, especially if it meant we lost $ in order for them to join. Totally believe Big XII should try to get the four corners teams, then wait and see what the SEC and Big Ten do in regards to the ACC. Even the bottom dwellers in the ACC would be improvements over SFU. Adding any of those would give us more localized competition as well. The only G5 I think would be worth adding would be Memphis because of their basketball, but again, we can’t do that or we lose revenue. Not worth it. Another negative with SFU is that our local recruiting area would be severely tightened, and we would lose the draw of being the only local P5. Just doesn’t make sense to water down a significant improvement in our ability to recruit top-notch athletes.

No UCF fan should want any other Florida program to get the ‘call up’ anytime soon. Recruiting is already tough in this State

I know we are kind of on an island compared to other schools in the League but that is the new normal. USC & UCLA will deal w that in the Big10. Yes they got their city rival but they (UCLA)also are one of the traditional brands of CBB

Last edited:
ACC would have been the League for UCF to have a true regional conference at the Power 5 Level(and my ‘dream’ league for the University as far as ‘fit’) . But Politics and locked in tv contracts would have us still waiting in a decade

ACC would have been the League for UCF to have a true regional conference at the Power 5 Level(and my ‘dream’ league for the University as far as ‘fit’) . But Politics and locked in tv contracts would have us still waiting in a decade
Agree, aren’t we making more $$ than them now? And can make even more in 2031?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I think playing WVU, Cincy and Houston every year without playing anyone within 1,500 miles of us is going to get a bit stale for the fanbase.

I hear ya'll about USF. But if not USF, at least sign a yearly game with FAU or someone. Or hope UM or Georgia Tech or someone leaves the ACC.

Eventually the Big 12 will hopefully start considering expanding eastward.

Agree, aren’t we making more $$ than them now? And can make even more in 2031?
Yes but I am objective enough to say that is bc of timing. The current ACC would be making more money than the Big 12 if they were open for negotiation this year.

in 2031 Clemson either goes to the SEC or they get a bump but who knows how the tv money landscape looks like by then

Reactions: UCFootball14
Yes but I am objective enough to say that is bc of timing. The current ACC would be making more money than the Big 12 if they were open for negotiation this year.

in 2031 Clemson either goes to the SEC or they get a bump but who knows how the tv money landscape looks like by then
Have read a bunch of articles on this and it's not happening. The current ACC deal runs through 2035. I believe. No ACC team has the money to break this. SEC will not take clemson or FSU due to the objections of florida and south carolina. Likewise Virginia wouldn't Get in because of Maryland.. If the SEC took anyone It would be a North Carolina school. And the big ten would be more likely to poach UNC or duke due to their academics and market share. Clemson and FSU Bring nothing for market share. The most Advantageous ACC schools would be the North Carolina schools for a huge growing market Boston college and Pitt for their markets.

Last edited:
Have read a bunch of articles on this and it's not happening. The current ACC deal runs through 2035. I believe. No a c c team has the money to break this. S e c will not take clemson or f s u due to the objections of florida and south carolina. Likewise Virginia wouldn't Get in because of Maryland.. If the SEC took anyone It would be a North Carolina school. And the big ten would be more likely to poach u n c or duke due to their academics and market share. Clemson and FSU Bring nothing for market share. The most Advantageous ACC schools would be the North Carolina schools for a huge growing market Boston college and Pitt for their markets.
Just curious but why you seperate school n a m e s?

First time watching ESPN talk show Pardon the Interruption in like a year and had to turn it off. Watching these two bozos talk about the potential 4 corner schools going to the Big12 and both saying the schools shouldn't go, that the Pac12 is more "glamorous" than the Big12 and go on to say "You can't compare the B12 schools of Texas Tech, Iowa State, and West Virginia to Pac12 schools like Stanford and Oregon!"

I can't believe these people get paid for this kind of analysis. What they're saying is so elementary, no real analysis, just dry commentary and thinking about conference status or team's status back 20-30yrs ago. Thanks for comparing the two of the bottom feeder schools and not putting TCU who just competed for a championship last year. Or when they said "The Big12 is losing major football footing in Oklahoma and Texas who are good, traditional football schools" - Wtf. Texas hasn't done diddlysquat in 20+yrs. It's this kind of stupid commentary that people who don't follow anything other than the SEC still have this antique/boomer mindset. Who say "Who has Central Florida played? Florida or Miami would kill you guys." Please stop watching this crap if you do. YouTubers have 20x better analysis than these geezers. Even the Sports365 guys are really good and go into the weeds. I'm hoping all these current football analysts on ESPN lose their jobs in the near future.
The corner schools are talking to the Big 12 because their presidents/chancellors woke up one morning last July and learned that half the wine and brie crowd (UCLA and USC) left in the night. Did not even call to say goodbye. Also, all of the coastal PAC schools have been working like hell to get a BIG invite. Wait until they see how weak the GOR is. Also, their media deal is looking...strange. Of course they are talking to the Big 12. They will form a perfect quad.
When the ACC gets pulled apart, the Big 12 needs to pick up some Southern schools for UCF, like GT, NCst. I would not be so sure that FSU or Miami or Clemson get invites to the BIG or SEC. Neither one needs them and USC and Florida don't want them in for obvious reasons.

New Big XII contract says no more G5 teams or revenue streams will be reduced. Having SFU in our league again would suck, especially if it meant we lost $ in order for them to join. Totally believe Big XII should try to get the four corners teams, then wait and see what the SEC and Big Ten do in regards to the ACC. Even the bottom dwellers in the ACC would be improvements over SFU. Adding any of those would give us more localized competition as well. The only G5 I think would be worth adding would be Memphis because of their basketball, but again, we can’t do that or we lose revenue. Not worth it. Another negative with SFU is that our local recruiting area would be severely tightened, and we would lose the draw of being the only local P5. Just doesn’t make sense to water down a significant improvement in our ability to recruit top-notch athletes.
Yup good call about the contract and G5 schools. I remember hearing that too but forgot. The Pac 12 negotiations are not gong as planned I expect 2-4 of these schools to jump ship. I think Colorado is going to turn into a beast and Utah has a great program over the past few seasons and will be a huge rival for BYU

The more the conference moves west, the tougher the scheduling will be for UCF in terms of travel for all sports. They are going to appease the majority and not revolve around UCF.

I’ll try to track down Yormark at the UCF-KState game and ask him what the plan is 😝. I just got tix last night and I’M SO STOKED!!! Can’t wait to experience the Knights’ first P5 conference game. I was at their first home game ever against Ft. Benning in the T Bowl, so this is going to be so damn sweet!

Last edited:
The more the conference moves west, the tougher the scheduling will be for UCF in terms of travel for all sports. They are going to appease the majority and not revolve around UCF.
The money they will make will appease UCF and they will have plenty to cover costs.

Reactions: beelit47

The California schools are never joining the Big 12. The California schools are afraid of the 4 corners leaving, and more importantly Oregon and Washington. They are afraid of losing the 'west coast' influence they bring. If those 6 schools leave, the only geography they have is California and not the 'west coast'

Reactions: 250vertical
I predicted these issues with the Pac 12 about 6 years ago on this board, I actually think you can find them on an archive. I never felt the Big 12 was in ANY trouble versus the Pac 12 which has a MASSIVE political and economical divide.

Same with UCONN bolting from AAC, I mentioned that back when I was wasting money on paying for bulletin boards...many remember calling me out for believing that, but I actually have family boosters of UCONN. So what do I know?

I do know this...maybe?

With the TV dollars being seen in Football AND Basketball for the Big 12, I don't think things are as rosy in the ACC, in fact, the ACC looks ripe for picking. That's all I'll say. Let the B1G have those northwest schools.

I also know this...perhaps maybe...promises made under-the-table regarding partnership and movement in the future can be done WELL in advance...even over a decade. This is a question of reflection, what were the programs that were rumored to be eyeing the Big 12 in 2010 or so? I remember reading it on ESPN on my phone sitting in the Del Taco. One's "not quite" on the radar for SEC...

Last edited:
Money is fine, but people annoyed at UCF teams spending a fair share amount of time on the other side of the country playing games on west coast time slots is going to get old fast.
They would make those East-West games 12:00 or 3:30/4Pm local Pacific time kickoff for 3pm-6:30/7 pm Eastern timeslots just like they do now, and with other conferences. They did similar in CUSA when UCF would play UTEP, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT