ADVERTISEMENT

Blow this staff up

Trashcanzzz

Three-Star Recruit
Dec 18, 2020
Ok I get that everyone is going to say that we can’t because of covid. However, if you bring 90% of this staff back then you will destroy interest in the program for at least a year. These games kill enthusiasm and recruiting. Shannon, Martinez, Ellerbee, Wyatt, and Bell are too old school in their approach. Ellerbee is just Heupel’s yes man. They are terrible talent evaluators. Blow it all up and bring in some new philosophies and new ideas. If Heupel doesn’t like tell him it’s either make significant changes or quit.

If Heupel doesn’t like tell him it’s either make significant changes or quit.
You mean "...it's either make significant changes or we'll ask our donors to pay your salary for the rest of your contract." right?

*Edited spelling

Last edited:
There are two thought processes. One, you give Heupel a year to turn it around. Or two, you recognize the downward trend and try to act before it is too late. I believe with COVID and opt outs and such, Danny will give him another year

Reactions: KnightLife1
Sorry. There aren’t enough excuses to cover this. Our coaching staff is totally inadequate to coach at this level. As a side note, I apologize for earlier this month complaining about our potential bowl opponents. I was WAY out of line. I just wish we could have played FAU or maybe Colonial HS. I obviously was thinking we were a legitimate opponent....

Sorry. There aren’t enough excuses to cover this. Our coaching staff is totally inadequate to coach at this level. As a side note, I apologize for earlier this month complaining about our potential bowl opponents. I was WAY out of line. I just wish we could have played FAU or maybe Colonial HS. I obviously was thinking we were a legitimate opponent....
Question is, what’s more embarrassing... getting completely wrecked by BYU, or losing a close game against FAU?

Reactions: Knight59
There are two thought processes. One, you give Heupel a year to turn it around. Or two, you recognize the downward trend and try to act before it is too late. I believe with COVID and opt outs and such, Danny will give him another year
I know we're not firing Heupel or White. We're dealing with COVID shortfalls (like 130 FBS schools) on an already-limited G5 budget (like 65 FBS G5 schools). Our unique difficulties arise from our incompetent coach having a yoke-buyout and contract-extension strapped around his neck by our overrated athletic director.

No, we're not firing Heupel or White anytime soon (unfortunately). But recognizing that these guys are not "P5 geniuses working at a G5 school" is a good first step for us to get back on the path to P5 that GOL and SF pioneered and began executing.

Reactions: Trashcanzzz
Heupel and Shannon recruit better than Frost and Chinander did. Frost was loosey goosey with rules and we were headed for some bad shit if he stayed.

Heupel needs to hire an OC and focus on coaching and recruiting.
I’m sorry, but what? Did you just say frost was loosely goosey while bringing up Randy “I’ll sign kids that gang raped a girl at Miami Northwestern” Shannon? LMAOOOOO. Also I don’t remember Frost having players fight each other on the sidelines multiple times.

as for “recruits better“ nonsens. These are heupel’s players. Do they look good to you? They look like fcs level players. I don’t want this dumbass anywhere near recruiting. That’s primarily why we should blow this staff up. Go get Kevin Smith, partridge, Duggan etc and be done with this mess.

I’m sorry, but what? Did you just say frost was loosely goosey while bringing up Randy “I’ll sign kids that gang raped a girl at Miami Northwestern” Shannon? LMAOOOOO. Also I don’t remember Frost having players fight each other on the sidelines multiple times.

as for “recruits better“ nonsens. These are heupel’s players. Do they look good to you? They look like fcs level players. I don’t want this dumbass anywhere near recruiting. That’s primarily why we should blow this staff up. Go get Kevin Smith, partridge, Duggan etc and be done with this mess.

Jawon Hamilton slapped his girlfriend around while at UCF and Frost swept it under the rug to avoid drama. There are stories of massive fights in the locker room during the 2017 season, especially towards the end as it was clear Frost was leaving.

Huepel is playing with freshmen on offense and defense. Frost was playing with well-recruited juniors and seniors with a magician at QB.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I am glad we didn’t probably would have lost and that would have really really sucked

Heupel and Shannon recruit better than Frost and Chinander did. Frost was loosey goosey with rules and we were headed for some bad shit if he stayed.

Heupel needs to hire an OC and focus on coaching and recruiting.
Jawon Hamilton slapped his girlfriend around while at UCF and Frost swept it under the rug to avoid drama. There are stories of massive fights in the locker room during the 2017 season, especially towards the end as it was clear Frost was leaving.

Huepel is playing with freshmen on offense and defense. Frost was playing with well-recruited juniors and seniors with a magician at QB.
They are playing ~4 freshman on defense tonight, at least 2 on the OL, etc. We have walk ons playing on the DL due to opt outs, injuries, and removed players. BYU has one of the best lines in the country.

Frost has put a couple of his recruits in the NFL at best. Take off the blinders.

I have to ask, is that you Sloth or is it your wife...

Well, I hope all you suck-ups who wanted a bowl game are happy. What a disaster that was.
These guys could have been, SHOULD HAVE BEEN, home watching Santa Claus is Coming to
Town, with their families, but NO, we just had to have another sorry game. I watched my Brit
Box TV shows instead. Not one minute of that thing!

I have to ask, is that you Sloth or is it your wife...

Lmao yea, because the first thing he’d do is get on here and argue with you morons.

Look his play calling has regressed and the team discipline has been BAD this year, but those problems are solvable.

This team has potential, unfortunately experience is gone and some key changes need to be in place such as: 1) DL size and performance is not going to win you a championship; 2) Having 2 LB formation and blitzing a LB doesn't work and leads to big plays for opponents; 3) Get your bigger RBs in the game more; 4) Play calling; 5) Just speed doesn't win close games, etc...

My perspective (for my Knights of the Strong Table), is we need change. Pre-covid I said it was CCG or bust for Heup but I know we lost more starters than anyone else in CFB so I think a lot of grace has to be given.
Heup is learning so he stays. Definitely needs to keep working, studying, reflecting, and refining his approach.
That's it, I'm not completely sold on keeping anybody else. All assistants, coordinators, etc. are on the table. But that doesn't mean everybody goes. For example, I personally like Burnham and think he seems like a hard worker. I'm sure there are some guys doing good work on the staff that is being hindered by others. In general I do think we have a lack of leadership. I don't care if players can "relate" to a coach, relatability is not leadership and is a fools errand. To me, we need a big infusion of leadership and I think we can only get that from the HC, OC, and DC. So that leaves us with DC.
It's up to the HC (and AD?) who all comes in or who leaves but of course they need to gel so I'd expect to see more than one person go. Plus, definitely whoever else isn't cutting it. Seems like secondary is an obvious choice right now.

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
In a heartbeat.
He’s 12-20 (9-17) at Nebraska. He was 6-7 his first season at UCF. As a head coach for 5 years he has 4 losing seasons. He has one winning season as a head coach (although magical as it was). If you’ll saw this without knowing the name behind it you’d be saying, “Garbage.”. You guys won’t accept a coach that is here with a 28-8 (19-5) record but you want that???

He’s 12-20 (9-17) at Nebraska. He was 6-7 his first season at UCF. As a head coach for 5 years he has 4 losing seasons. He has one winning season as a head coach (although magical as it was). If you’ll saw this without knowing the name behind it you’d be saying, “Garbage.”. You guys won’t accept a coach that is here with a 28-8 (19-5) record but you want that???
but,but,the players love playing for that losing coach and stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight_Light
but,but,the players love playing for that losing coach and stuff.
I'm not bagging on Frosty, either. He was handed a pile of steaming poo his first season, completely changed the way we play football and we went from 0 to 6 wins. That said, everyone wants to harp on how our record is trending under Heup. Well, Frosty has been 4-8, 5-7, and 3-5 at Nebraska. He's not trending up or down. It's just down to begin with and holding.

Heup has some slack from his first few years of success. This was the oddest of seasons, much like 2015, except that COVID overshadowed everything and put a lot of stress on players, coaches, staff, support, etc.. It's a miracle we played every game. We should be applauded for that because not everybody got to do that. These are human beings, after all.

We'll just have to wait until next season to see the next chapter in the story. Hopefully the entire team (coaches included) matures and progresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
He also showed emotion. The team fed off of him.

LOL! Why doesn't that emotion work at Nebraska?

Only time Frost "emotion" worked was in 2017 with Milton and Griffin out there.

Last edited:
LOL! Why doesn't that emotion work at Nebraska?

Only time Frost "emotion" worked was in 2017 with Milton and Griffin out there.
I forgot who said it - maybe it was O’Leary - but I remember a coach saying motivational speeches are only good until the first time you get hit and then everyone forgets them and you fall back on what you’ve practiced.

Reactions: mattropolis
I forgot who said it - maybe it was O’Leary - but I remember a coach saying motivational speeches are only good until the first time you get hit and then everyone forgets them and you fall back on what you’ve practiced.

Correct...you generally play as you practiced. (And many UCF players couldn't even practice prior to bowl game because of contract tracing).

Problem with all the former scout players forced to play defense over the last few games...most are still "thinking" (because there is so much info about play to process), it slows down their reaction time...which is all the time a great QB and Offense needs to capitalize on.

Reactions: Wings0fred
People are comparing taking over a 0-12 team vs taking over a 13-0 team, it’s apples to oranges. People are comparing the AAC to the Big10, it’s apples to oranges. Scott Frost will never be invited back to UCF because of what he did to our recruiting database. He deliberately deleted all of the work product he was paid to do he while he was here and gutted our coaching staff. Dude had a magical season and created a national presence for the UCF brand (I thank him for that) but he’s not a class act and can be rather petty see J. Francois. He’s burned too many bridges here.

People are comparing taking over a 0-12 team vs taking over a 13-0 team, it’s apples to oranges. People are comparing the AAC to the Big10, it’s apples to oranges. Scott Frost will never be invited back to UCF because of what he did to our recruiting database. He deliberately deleted all of the work product he was paid to do he while he was here and gutted our coaching staff. Dude had a magical season and created a national presence for the UCF brand (I thank him for that) but he’s not a class act and can be rather petty see J. Francois. He’s burned too many bridges here.
I’d still take Frost back over “good guy” heupel. Blame COVID all you want, but heupel hasn’t beaten a team with a pulse in a year. That’s literally the same criticism that OU/Missouri have had about him. So he hasn’t learned as a coordinator or hc.

Frost would be a last resort. As anyone with connections will tell you, Lebby was the real coach these last 2 years. He did the recruiting, the scheming, handled minor matters internally, etc. The players were openly saying to anyone that asked that they wanted Lebby to have play calling responsibilities. So bring Lebby back as hc.

Reactions: shacket and Yaes
Bring in Sumlin and Muschamp as OC and DC.
Danny White hired Lance Leipold at Buffalo after a hugely successful stint at D3 Whitewater. He hired Frost after Frost was viewed as a critical leader of Oregon's successful offense.

He hired Heupel after Heupel offenses at OU and Mizzou put up big numbers against weaker defenses, not noticing how good defenses really put Heupel offense in check.

So 2 of 3 HFC hires by DW were "up and coming" coordinators and 1 was a wildly successful lower division HC.

The hire of RS as DC has not worked very well. The defenses have not been improved from Chinander's defenses (but Chinander's defenses were "good enough" with Frost's offense), and most notably, the Florida recruiting ("Shannon's strength") has had only sporadic success. Fickell is coming into our back yard (and Scott is coming into our living room) to take what he wants.

Kevin Sumlin is nothing without Kliff Kingsbury to develop his quarterbacks. Sumlin won't have KK here to develop his quarterbacks.

Muschamp might work, but I don't understand how "retread" suddenly became UCF's ticket to "success". In reality, it is not.

Danny is going to have to contend with growing apathy and reduced attendance/donations if he chases short-term financial "wins" (with retreads living off old buyouts) first and foremost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT