ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush

Doing more reading on this kid. Would seriously be a good fit for UCF.

Nice to have at least a few kids from up North in the mix. Worked out really well in the past for both parties . Tay Murray, Breezy, and bunch of other ballers. Good for the Florida kids to have some northern influence and visa-versa.

Doing more reading on this kid. Would seriously be a good fit for UCF.

Nice to have at least a few kids from up North in the mix. Worked out really well in the past for both parties . Tay Murray, Breezy, and bunch of other ballers. Good for the Florida kids to have some northern influence and visa-versa.
Reason why he wasn’t the starter at ND? Is the current starter really good

He was a Rivals 6.0 in 2015. Geez

#60 player in the country and #2 in New Jersey

#4 Dual-threat QB in the country

Reactions: FoxKnight
Reason why he wasn’t the starter at ND? Is the current starter really good
Time for the Irish fans to actually give us some useful information

He is a very good runner. He was benched early in the season, but I think he filled in for injured Ian Book and played well. Maybe vs FSU?

Reactions: Knight Strength
seen some posts about his play , similar issues as Mack with the short routes but he is a faster runner

Would have preferred Francois over him but the QB room needs more depth so hope he fits the system

I think he definitely fits the system... and the culture. Has all the tools to compete at QB and possibly help himself and UCF to great things.

seen some posts about his play , similar issues as Mack with the short routes but he is a faster runner

Would have preferred Francois over him but the QB room needs more depth so hope he fits the system
Just saw that he ran a 11.25 100 meters in High school, so he’s fast. Probably a 4.6 guy or so.

It's really the cultural fit is equally as important.

* Is he mature?
* Does he see the value proposition of UCF?
* Does he stay out of trouble, and check all the other culture boxes?
* Does he see himself fitting in?
* Can he see himself living in Florida for at least the next year or two?

I think our players know we need more depth at the position, and with KZ healing up would provide much needed short term help.

Just saw that he ran a 11.25 100 meters in High school, so he’s fast. Probably a 4.6 guy or so.
pocket presence alone may put him ahead of Mack if everything else is equal

it wouldn't surprise me if Gabriel ends up being a better passer than both of them but they won't throw him out there as a true freshman, at least not at the start of the year

It's really the cultural fit is equally as important.

* Is he mature?
* Does he see the value proposition of UCF?
* Does he stay out of trouble, and check all the other culture boxes?
* Does he see himself fitting in?
* Can he see himself living in Florida for at least the next year or two?

I think our players know we need more depth at the position, and with KZ healing up would provide much needed short term help.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Let's be honest, the Florida 'talent' is top shelf. I've lived all over the U.S. and it's definitely good in Orlando, and Florida in general. Colorado Springs? That's another story. :eek:[cheers]

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I think Mack and Gabriel both have a lot of potential. I hope this doesn’t piss Mack off and want to leave. I’m not sure if it is good for UCF to have a player that could come in and disrupt the chemistry of the team and then leave after one season. I’m a little hesitant about this.

Wimbush is a dynamic, game breaking athlete. He has a huge arm which compliments his running well because you either have to bring the safety up in run support and risk getting beat deep or leave the safety back but get marched down the field with a ton of zone reads. He got beat out by Book who ended up being really good, but a big part of it is that Book fit the current team much better than Wimbush. Our receiving core this year had more big possession receivers as opposed to the speed guys that could take the top off the defense. Wimbush couldn't hit guys in rhythm as well as Book and we didn't have the speed necessary to utilize his arm. We tried to fit a square peg in a round hole with the Ball State and Vanderbilt games, so you can watch those to see how he is when we try to win with just his passing. Versus Michigan we were more willing to let him run and put his body on the line, so its a much better representation of him playing to his strengths. He is also much better when going up tempo, partly because it seems some of his struggles passing is a mental issue so not having time to think about it actually makes him better.

As for a cultural fit, I don't think you have to worry. Brandon is an outstanding young man. When he got beat out he didn't pout or divide the locker room like we've had happen before. He was always the first off the bench to meet Book coming off the field. Everyone in the program has a ton of respect for him, so much that even though it was common knowledge he was going to transfer no one talked about it during the bowl week until he announced it after the game. You can go and look at the instagram post announcing his transfer to see how many people are thanking him, and not just his teammates and coaches, but other regular students he had an impact on.

I think Mack and Gabriel both have a lot of potential. I hope this doesn’t piss Mack off and want to leave. I’m not sure if it is good for UCF to have a player that could come in and disrupt the chemistry of the team and then leave after one season. I’m a little hesitant about this.
idk why this is such a concern about hurting feelings. This is big time college football, you don't leave a depth chart that thin bc you might make Mack uncomfortable about keeping the starting job. If he is a true baller he rises above it.

That would be like if Clemson fans 1 year ago said. 'Kelly Bryant just led us to the CFP final, do not bring in Trevor Lawrence to ruin chemistry'.

Wimbush is a dynamic, game breaking athlete. He has a huge arm which compliments his running well because you either have to bring the safety up in run support and risk getting beat deep or leave the safety back but get marched down the field with a ton of zone reads. He got beat out by Book who ended up being really good, but a big part of it is that Book fit the current team much better than Wimbush. Our receiving core this year had more big possession receivers as opposed to the speed guys that could take the top off the defense. Wimbush couldn't hit guys in rhythm as well as Book and we didn't have the speed necessary to utilize his arm. We tried to fit a square peg in a round hole with the Ball State and Vanderbilt games, so you can watch those to see how he is when we try to win with just his passing. Versus Michigan we were more willing to let him run and put his body on the line, so its a much better representation of him playing to his strengths. He is also much better when going up tempo, partly because it seems some of his struggles passing is a mental issue so not having time to think about it actually makes him better.

As for a cultural fit, I don't think you have to worry. Brandon is an outstanding young man. When he got beat out he didn't pout or divide the locker room like we've had happen before. He was always the first off the bench to meet Book coming off the field. Everyone in the program has a ton of respect for him, so much that even though it was common knowledge he was going to transfer no one talked about it during the bowl week until he announced it after the game. You can go and look at the instagram post announcing his transfer to see how many people are thanking him, and not just his teammates and coaches, but other regular students he had an impact on.

Sounds like a great fit. The Milton injury left a void that a grad transfer with 1 year of eligibility helps fill nicely. Adding great experience and character can't hurt. Hope this happens.

He is also much better when going up tempo, partly because it seems some of his struggles passing is a mental issue so not having time to think about it actually makes him better.

giphy.gif

Sounds like a winner. Perfect fit for our system. Thanks

Honestly, that is one of the reasons I thought of UCF when he announced he was transferring. It didn't really fit what people were saying about him going closer to home in New Jersey, but from a football perspective it seemed like the best fit with the team with the most upside that would take a one year transfer.

Last edited:
Wimbush has played against and beat the top teams. Next year we don’t have a qb eligible that can say that. This would be a major get!

Last edited:
50% career passing accuracy is quite concerning, but it seems like he didn’t fit the system at ND and would have a better shot to be successful here with his athletic ability.

You play with the best player available. If Heup feels this guy fits in, so be it. He can’t wait around wondering if Milton will ever heal roperly either. We’ve got to move on for now. The more good players you have the better. We don’t need to give out participation trophies at the college level. It’s semi-pro ball.

He’s never passed for 300 yards in college. He’s played a lot of games. Mack is better. This is just a warm body.

I get the skepticism but the same fans doing that better not be the ones talking up Quadry Jones based on coach speak. Wimbush hasn't lived up to his recruit rating but he will still have more live game reps against solid D1 competition than any healthy QB on the roster.

He had 30 total TDs when he was the starter his Jr season. 2.5 TDPG. We’d be crazy to pass on him, even if he’s only here one year. He provides a nice stopgap next season until 1 of 3 scenarios plays out in 2020: 1. Mack steps up as the clear starter, 2. Gabriel is a baller and starts as a RS Frosh, or 3. KZ somehow miraculously recovers as the starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT