ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush

Is Boudreaux gonna start next year? Was he sitting out this past year due to transfer? Dude looks like a beast!

Our defense was nothing to write home about either.
Neither is Ball St, Vandy, Cuse, Navy, Wake and Miami of Ohio. All teams he didn’t do that against. With 4 star O linemen and skill players helping him. He is the same as Mack. Probably less than Mack given Mack has less experience and will lose a chance to gain more because of this.

Neither is Ball St, Vandy, Cuse, Navy, Wake and Miami of Ohio. All teams he didn’t do that against. With 4 star O linemen and skill players helping him. He is the same as Mack. Probably less than Mack given Mack has less experience and will lose a chance to gain more because of this.

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with it. You don't know if Wimbush can come in and do better under a different system and coaching staff. Wimbush has a lot of experience against extremely good teams.

No guarantee he will do well. But with so little depth at QB, you have no choice but to bring him in. Wimbush is faster than Mack and has more escape ability when the pocket breaks down.

Ball State he threw for 297 yards
Vandy was an admittedly bad game from him
Cuse? You mean when he came in during the fourth quarter with the subs to run out the clock?
Navy he had 164 yards passing and 41 yards rushing on only 7 offensive possessions
Wake he had 280 passing and another 110 on the ground
Miami of Ohio he didn't need to throw. Trust me, I was at the game. We were imposing our will on them on the ground. We were more than happy to just run it down their throat and get done with the game quickly

Competition can’t hurt. Mack has all the advantages. Knows the system and players, and has multiple years of experience here. If he loses out to a transfer QB then so be it.

Reactions: Shark59 and Mikesi
Cuse? You mean when he came in during the fourth quarter with the subs to run out the clock?
Navy he had 164 yards passing and 41 yards rushing on only 7 offensive possessions
Miami of Ohio he didn't need to throw. Trust me, I was at the game. We were imposing our will on them on the ground. We were more than happy to just run it down their throat and get done with the game quickly
I’ll take your evaluation of a QB on a team that you follow closely day in and day out over any other evaluation from posters here.

No disrespect, but you just can’t evaluate a player based on past game stats and pulling up YouTube videos

It’s similar to when Husker fans were bragging about stealing our 2017 starting safety Tre Neal this year and were simply pulling up his total tackles from 2017 on-line. He actually was burned quite a bit in 2017.

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with it. You don't know if Wimbush can come in and do better under a different system and coaching staff. Wimbush has a lot of experience against extremely good teams.

No guarantee he will do well. But with so little depth at QB, you have no choice but to bring him in. Wimbush is faster than Mack and has more escape ability when the pocket breaks down.
Competition can’t hurt. Mack has all the advantages. Knows the system and players, and has multiple years of experience here. If he loses out to a transfer QB then so be it.
Russell Wilson was a good QB for North Carolina State, but when he transferred to Wisconsin with a different system, he put up absolutely ridiculous passing statistics

There are other examples

Russell Wilson was a good QB for North Carolina State, but when he transferred to Wisconsin with a different system, he put up absolutely ridiculous passing statistics

There are other examples

I think we are saying the same thing, bring in a high upside guy and let’s see what happens. If Mack can’t handle the competition he’s more than welcome to enter the mystical transfer portal.

I think we are saying the same thing, bring in a high upside guy and let’s see what happens. If Mack can’t handle the competition he’s more than welcome to enter the mystical transfer portal.
Yes. I’ve changed my stance on worrying about hurting anyone’s feelings

This isn’t pee-wee league football

It’s big time college athletics. It’s a business. You win at all costs. Legally. The best players have been given more opportunities to transfer than ever before and the schools will adjust to that acccordingly to best fit THEIR needs

I get the skepticism but the same fans doing that better not be the ones talking up Quadry Jones based on coach speak. Wimbush hasn't lived up to his recruit rating but he will still have more live game reps against solid D1 competition than any healthy QB on the roster.
:100points:

Completely Agree!

Lot's of negativity over on the premium board.......I just don't get how folks cant be jazzed about a highly touted top tier athlete who probably played in the wrong system and didn't have a QB whisperer for a coach. BTW the kid is over the top articulate, level headed and has played in some big time games......Way too much negativity about passing %.........this kid can can be an absolute stud if he picks up the play book, gets coached up really well and wins the job or perhaps CJH doesn't know as much about the QB position as most of our forum experts.....

#AACOffensivePlayerOfTheYear

Completely Agree!

Lot's of negativity over on the premium board.......I just don't get how folks cant be jazzed about a highly touted top tier athlete who probably played in the wrong system and didn't have a QB whisperer for a coach. BTW the kid is over the top articulate, level headed and has played in some big time games......Way too much negativity about passing %.........this kid can can be an absolute stud if he picks up the play book, gets coached up really well and wins the job or perhaps CJH doesn't know as much about the QB position as most of our forum experts.....

#AACOffensivePlayerOfTheYear
The negativity is a complete head scratcher and I’m being nice

He’s never passed for 300 yards in college. He’s played a lot of games. Mack is better. This is just a warm body.

Mack numbers vs. USF, ECU, LSU total.

247 yards, 44% completion, 1 td, 1 int.

His biggest numbers came against Memphis that finished the season 93rd in points allowed and 99th passing yards allowed. Mack had one good game, if you want to use numbers to determine who is good then you have a poor argument.

Wimbush is a dynamic, game breaking athlete. He has a huge arm which compliments his running well because you either have to bring the safety up in run support and risk getting beat deep or leave the safety back but get marched down the field with a ton of zone reads. He got beat out by Book who ended up being really good, but a big part of it is that Book fit the current team much better than Wimbush. Our receiving core this year had more big possession receivers as opposed to the speed guys that could take the top off the defense. Wimbush couldn't hit guys in rhythm as well as Book and we didn't have the speed necessary to utilize his arm. We tried to fit a square peg in a round hole with the Ball State and Vanderbilt games, so you can watch those to see how he is when we try to win with just his passing. Versus Michigan we were more willing to let him run and put his body on the line, so its a much better representation of him playing to his strengths. He is also much better when going up tempo, partly because it seems some of his struggles passing is a mental issue so not having time to think about it actually makes him better.

As for a cultural fit, I don't think you have to worry. Brandon is an outstanding young man. When he got beat out he didn't pout or divide the locker room like we've had happen before. He was always the first off the bench to meet Book coming off the field. Everyone in the program has a ton of respect for him, so much that even though it was common knowledge he was going to transfer no one talked about it during the bowl week until he announced it after the game. You can go and look at the instagram post announcing his transfer to see how many people are thanking him, and not just his teammates and coaches, but other regular students he had an impact on.
Quality post.

Has all the tools. Up to him to make it on the field. I think he's in the mix more this year to setup a monster senior season.
he actually has 3 more years of eligibility. the ncaa didn't make him immediately eligible in 2017, but in exchange they gave him 4 years to play at UCF.

Reactions: Yaes
Mack numbers vs. USF, ECU, LSU total.

247 yards, 44% completion, 1 td, 1 int.

His biggest numbers came against Memphis that finished the season 93rd in points allowed and 99th passing yards allowed. Mack had one good game, if you want to use numbers to determine who is good then you have a poor argument.
You see his numbers against Ball State? Just as bad of a defense as Memphis. 297 yards, 0 TDs and 3 Interceptions. Oh and -7 yards rushing. -7. I’m not saying Mack will be great. Just at the very least they are the same player. If you’re going to bring a guy in, make it a guy that is a proven pocket passer who can scramble. Wimbush is just a warm body who will give you the same as Mack. That’s assuming Mack doesn’t improve.

Cherry picking stats I see. You left off 0 TDs and 3 Interceptions plus -7 rushing yards against Ball State. Ball State. So you’re defending him. If he was so good why did the coaches yank him? Probably a good thing you aren’t the coach or ND would have had 3 losses this year.

The fact that this is even a debate is laughable. We are trying to win championships and fans want a depth chart that looks like this?

- A RS sophomore QB who has played 4 games. He has showed signs but that is it.
- Backup is a walkon RS Freshman
- 3rd string is a transfer go for beat out on depth chart by a walkon true freshman
- Freshman QB is new to mix who has never taken a snap.

This isn’t about who plays and doesn’t play it’s all about making sure we have enough depth to go 1-0 every week.

We've had great success with transfer QB's in the past. Go read about Vic Penn and the thrilling 1999 season. How UCF got robbed by the SEC refs after kicking UGA's asses up and down the field all game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_UCF_Golden_Knights_football_team#September_25:_at_Georgia_-_"Burglary_Between_the_Hedges"
We haven’t had great success. Vic Penn and Hodges are all I can think of that actually played. Penn got beat out by a True Freshman in Ryan Schneider. Hodges lost 5 games. That’s great success ?

The fact that this is even a debate is laughable. We are trying to win championships and fans want a depth chart that looks like this?

- 3rd string is a transfer go for beat out on depth chart by a walkon true freshman

This isn’t about who plays and doesn’t play it’s all about making sure we have enough depth to go 1-0 every week.
Did you see Clemson’s Depth Chart? True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman. They won the CFP. I’m not saying don’t bring someone in. I’m saying bring in a different skill set then Mack.

Yep. That about pretty much sums up our depth chart. Kind of reminds me of the years that we sucked. Doesn’t really look like a depth chart that’s going to get us to a NY6 bowl or even win our division.

So...,, let’s say Mack is good and gets hurt. He’s already shown that he wants to take on defenders and is prone to the big hit. Then what? What if Mack doesn’t progress?

Howabout we bring in 2 transfers?

The only argument against bringing someone in since it costs us nothing is.......

Wait..., there is no argument

Wimbush isn’t Mack and Mack isn’t Wimbush

Last edited:
Did you see Clemson’s Depth Chart? True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman. They won the CFP. I’m not saying don’t bring someone in. I’m saying bring in a different skill set then Mack.

So what’s your ideal situation? You’re pissing all over the coaches trying to make the team better. Since you’re the expert, and this is a “horrible” move, who’s the better option.

So easy for us on the couches to be critical.

I think wimbush is better now than quadry or Gabriel. Better than Mack? Dunno, but he will at the very least be stronger competition than either backup to start. Having someone on your heals is a good thing to make you better. Don’t know that we have someone who is interested out there who is better than wimbush.

So what’s your ideal situation? You’re pissing all over the coaches trying to make the team better. Since you’re the expert, and this is a “horrible” move, who’s the better option.

So easy for us on the couches to be critical.

I think wimbush is better now than quadry or Gabriel. Better than Mack? Dunno, but he will at the very least be stronger competition than either backup to start. Having someone on your heals is a good thing to make you better. Don’t know that we have someone who is interested out there who is better than wimbush.
My ideal situation is to get a proven pocket passer. If we can’t we hold steady with what he have and give our future more reps. If we brought in a grad transfer after Ark State game Milton would have lost reps and probably wouldn’t have progressed so rapidly. He probably even transfers.

You see his numbers against Ball State? Just as bad of a defense as Memphis. 297 yards, 0 TDs and 3 Interceptions. Oh and -7 yards rushing. -7. I’m not saying Mack will be great. Just at the very least they are the same player. If you’re going to bring a guy in, make it a guy that is a proven pocket passer who can scramble. Wimbush is just a warm body who will give you the same as Mack. That’s assuming Mack doesn’t improve.

And Milton threw for 243 yards and had 3 int against SC State.

It's not like there is a line of stud QBs trying to get into UCF and Wimbush is cutting the line. Right now it's Mack or someone with no experience.

My ideal situation is to get a proven pocket passer. If we can’t we hold steady with what he have and give our future more reps. If we brought in a grad transfer after Ark State game Milton would have lost reps and probably wouldn’t have progressed so rapidly. He probably even transfers.

Or you acknowledge the fact that not every QB will progress like Milton, cause you know 95% of QBs don't. The last two national champion teams dumped there starting winning QBs either mid way thru the season or in the championship game and they won because of it.

You are comparing apples and bananas...............We are coming off of 12-1 not 6-7. This program is at a tipping point and cannot afford to regress. We don't need off years while developing QBs. If you want to be a big time program, you act and perform like one. You bring in another QB who can compete and win games. Right now a transfer is our best shot at that. It is crazy that people are questioning CJH who has a proven track record for developing QBs and has been extremely selective in recruiting QBs. This kid is a freak athlete, highly ranked dual threat with a monster arm who unfortunately played in a complex pro style offense.......It is amazing that people are negative about a highly ranked QB with an offer sheet a mile long who played 1 1/2 years at ND but he wasn't a good fit for the scheme.....just look at the past 2 Heisman winners.........transfer QBs who had monster years in new system. This kid will absolutely kill it in the AAC if he decides to transfer to UCF

Maybe watch a game once in a while. Or you know, listen to the person who actually did. It was very clear Wimbush was instructed not to run during the Ball State game. You can go and watch the tape and see times when there is open field in front of him but instead of running he forces a throw. The coaching staff was using that game as a practice to see if Wimbush can fit the offense they wanted which had more of a pocket-passing element. He hit some passes, had others dropped, but did force the issue and threw some bad interceptions. That said, the defense was often dropping 8 and we still tried to throw against it. Had we been willing to run him he would have had over 100 yards rushing and probably at least one fewer interception.

Cherry picking stats I see. You left off 0 TDs and 3 Interceptions plus -7 rushing yards against Ball State. Ball State. So you’re defending him. If he was so good why did the coaches yank him? Probably a good thing you aren’t the coach or ND would have had 3 losses this year.

Just cherry picking the stat you were using to say he sucked. Because the way you stated it the only thing that mattered was 300 yard passing games. I don't know why that matters, especially in the college game, because that stat can be taken out of context when you take into account field position, running game, and scoring. And you should probably know, I was advocating for Book after the second game for the same reason I stated in my first post: he was a better fit for the scheme, receivers, running backs (or lack thereof), and offensive line we had. In the same way I argued for the change this year, I argued against it in 2017 for the same reasons. Wimbush was a better fit for the team that had a good line and running back, speedy receivers, and a boom-or-bust offensive style that needed the big plays he gave us.

And you want to talk about pocket passers, well Wimbush was on pace to set the national high school single season completion percentage record up until his last game or two in the playoffs.

You are comparing apples and bananas...............We are coming off of 12-1 not 6-7. This program is at a tipping point and cannot afford to regress. We don't need off years while developing QBs. If you want to be a big time program, you act and perform like one. You bring in another QB who can compete and win games. Right now a transfer is our best shot at that. It is crazy that people are questioning CJH who has a proven track record for developing QBs and has been extremely selective in recruiting QBs. This kid is a freak athlete, highly ranked dual threat with a monster arm who unfortunately played in a complex pro style offense.......It is amazing that people are negative about a highly ranked QB with an offer sheet a mile long who played 1 1/2 years at ND but he wasn't a good fit for the scheme.....just look at the past 2 Heisman winners.........transfer QBs who had monster years in new system. This kid will absolutely kill it in the AAC if he decides to transfer to UCF
[thumb2]:clap:

Reactions: JAFFX2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT