ADVERTISEMENT

Changes on Offense

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
What changes does our team need to make at this point? We have some extra time with this break to make some small changes.

1. We have been horrible at using TE this season. When the defense is focusing on our WRs we really need a TE that can catch passes in the middle of the field. Hescock isn't the answer for pass plays. He's a goal line run blocker. KZ has had problems connecting with #86 (both at fault). Do we have any other options at this position?

2. We need to consider if going fast on 4th downs when we have > 1 yard (not inches) to go is really smart. I believe this special situation should be slowed down. We went fast last game and it didn't make a difference (McGowan run). If we slowed down the QB and offensive coaches, we would have had more time to look at the defense they had against us and changed the play call. If you're going to go for it on 4th down you should be sure of your call and able to see better what the defense is doing. They had the box stacked on a fourth and two and we ran right into the eye of the storm.

3. Mix of runs and passes? Did the early pass, pass, pass stuff impact not letting Milton get into a rhythm? We've got good run blocking this year. Seems like we could make some improvements here.

Reactions: KnightLife1
What changes does our team need to make at this point? We have some extra time with this break to make some small changes.

1. We have been horrible at using TE this season. When the defense is focusing on our WRs we really need a TE that can catch passes in the middle of the field. Hescock isn't the answer for pass plays. He's a goal line run blocker. KZ has had problems connecting with #86 (both at fault). Do we have any other options at this position?

2. We need to consider if going fast on 4th downs when we have > 1 yard (not inches) to go is really smart. I believe this special situation should be slowed down. We went fast last game and it didn't make a difference (McGowan run). If we slowed down the QB and offensive coaches, we would have had more time to look at the defense they had against us and changed the play call. If you're going to go for it on 4th down you should be sure of your call and able to see better what the defense is doing. They had the box stacked on a fourth and two and we ran right into the eye of the storm.

3. Mix of runs and passes? Did the early pass, pass, pass stuff impact not letting Milton get into a rhythm? We've got good run blocking this year. Seems like we could make some improvements here.
Using 4 wr with Marlon as the TE when the TE isn’t split out would be the smartest thing Heupel could ever do.

Seems like we need more passing options per play. In 2 games how many receptions do the backs and tight ends have combined? Seems like a low number

Reactions: KnightVision82
So averaging 46+ points per game requires changes? Huh. Giving up 9 too. Jesus.
We did great running last game (and UCONN) but give-me-a-break as far as scoring with the pass game last week against FCS. They shouldn't be bringing the average down.

I remember Scott Frost going through a 2 year education process on handling 4th downs as well. OCs love to go for it on 4th down. SF got better in year 2.

Jesus is cool!

Otis caught 2 vs SC St. One screen pass and one pass thrown behind LOS.
AK caught a screen too.
Aginst Uconn
AK - 2
Otis - 1
McRae - 1
Colubiale - 1
Thanks. So we had 8 competitions to backs and TE’s in 2 games. That’s not enough IMO

Otis Anderson, Adrian Killins, Jordan Akins, and Jordan Franks alone averaged about 9 pass receptions or so a game in 2017.
So basically we are not utilizing all of our available options. Too many down the field low percentage passes will catch up with us vs better teams.

Its fair to criticize when our opponents arent in the top 10.
Think it's fair to criticize no matter what if it's a valid argument. Don't think anyone's offense or play calling has ever been perfect no matter the opponent.
Don't think anyone can watch that game and say there is no reason for concern and have legitmaticy to back it up.

All excellent points.

From what I have seen, Roberson is a good receiving TE. He has speed and can run routes pretty well, as he also played WR. From what little we have seen of him, shows good ability for yards after catch. He hasn't been on the field much yet as I think it has been said that he still needs to work on his blocking. However, I think he could be a good option for a pass receiving TE.

Think it's fair to criticize no matter what if it's a valid argument. Don't think anyone's offense or play calling has ever been perfect no matter the opponent.
Don't think anyone can watch that game and say there is no reason for concern and have legitmaticy to back it up.
Ok you mean if we beat Bama and say Auburn back to back youre ok with saying our team sucks? Its fair to criticize but some of the comments are a bit much. I dont mind because the quality of opponent isnt that good, but if you beat said team above and theyre top 10.....[pfftt]

Ok you mean if we beat Bama and say Auburn back to back youre ok with saying our team sucks? Its fair to criticize but some of the comments are a bit much. I dont mind because the quality of opponent isnt that good, but if you beat said team above and theyre top 10.....[pfftt]
don't know where anyone said the team sucks. The offense didn't look good, if you couldn't see that you must've been watching a different game. It was the worst offensive performance in the last 15 games against the worst team played in 15 games. You can't argue that. No one is saying UCF's sucks.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
don't know where anyone said the team sucks. The offense didn't look good, if you couldn't see that you must've been watching a different game. It was the worst offensive performance in the last 15 games against the worst team played in 15 games. You can't argue that. No one is saying UCF's sucks.
Yes but if we beat a Top 10 playing that way we would be hard pressed to be that critical.

only Heup and Milton know for sure if anything is being held back but there are definite concerns about the offense. SC State is an awful team.

The RPO, option packages with Milton & the RBs, & removing the bubble screens to stretch the defense horizontally to set up deep shots are things I just don't think is smart to remove from the offense with our current QB. That's part of the reason I think coverage remained so tight all game. We'll see vs a motivated FAU team & the more talented opponents ahead. I don't want to happen to UCF what USF's OC did to Flowers last season, force too much vertical sideline passing where he never got into a rhythm. The UCF game where he went crazy is bc Shaun King took playcalling from Gilbert to try to ruin our undefeated season.

Actually i thought someone left a comment that was more critical than usual. They mustve deleted it or its on another post.

I think being only 2 games into a new offensive coaching staff we need to be patient. It takes a while to install a full and complete offense. What we see being run right now may be totally different at the end of the season.

With that, I would like to see more use of a tight end and rb's. More short to medium passing. It seems like we are forcing our throws down field instead of taking what the defense is giving us.

I will say this, I thought in the first half of the SCS game we should have run the ball more because that would open up the passing. In the second half, we did just that.

Thanks. So we had 8 competitions to backs and TE’s in 2 games. That’s not enough IMO

Otis Anderson, Adrian Killins, Jordan Akins, and Jordan Franks alone averaged about 9 pass receptions or so a game in 2017.
So basically we are not utilizing all of our available options. Too many down the field low percentage passes will catch up with us vs better teams.
This is what you and I worried about in the off-season when we read the scouting report on JH. He has got to learn to dump the passes off to the athletes

Reactions: Mikesi
This is what you and I worried about in the off-season when we read the scouting report on JH. He has got to learn to dump the passes off to the athletes
Absolutely. He’s not Frost, but he needs to keep that part of the offense.

He needs to have Milton dump it off to the playmakers with high percentage passes in space and have them beat their men 1 on 1

It will lead to his failure. We have athletes, so use them.

Absolutely. He’s not Frost, but he needs to keep that part of the offense.

He needs to have Milton dump it off to the playmakers with high percentage passes in space and have them beat their men 1 on 1

It will lead to his failure. We have athletes, so use them.

CJH used his running backs pretty extensively at Missou, so it was surprising to not see that last saturday with a guy like Killens at his disposal.

JH seems to like the idea of running more of a Mike Leach offense without the uber-wide line spread. Its a great offense but why not use all of the weapons in your aresenal?

Reactions: Mikesi
CJH used his running backs pretty extensively at Missou, so it was surprising to not see that last saturday with a guy like Killens at his disposal.

JH seems to like the idea of running more of a Mike Leach offense without the uber-wide line spread. Its a great offense but why not use all of the weapons in your aresenal?
Will be hard to make real judgments on this until we get to some more challenging games.

As stated multiple times, there’s no reason to show all your stuff when you’re walking over your opponent.

This is NOT a fire coach Heup thread. Would love to see Roberson get some touches this season and the TE position shored up.

We know that Heup likes to throw the ball down field a lot. KZ has to be disciplined to throw short when its not there :)

Also, I know that KZ likes Nixon and Davis. Seems like Snelson needs to get more targets. These things will be spoken about in film review I'm sure.

When our receivers like Tre is converting more on those deep passes like UConn what will you say then? :)

I think Coach has faith in MM delivering those passes no matter how predictable...and when it gets to that level...when you cant do a thing about it?

When our receivers like Tre is converting more on those deep passes like UConn what will you say then? :)

I think Coach has faith in MM delivering those passes no matter how predictable...and when it gets to that level...when you cant do a thing about it?
I’ll still be singing the same song

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

the point of the offense not playing well had nothing to do with deep passes at least from my end. UCF is going to take the same amount of deep chances as they did last season (they threw deep a lot last year despite what you read from the uneducated media). Everyone has faith in MM to complete these passes he led the nation in doing it last season.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
SC State played to stop the pass and succeeded. They ended up giving up 11 yards a carry though. They shortened they game and “escaped” getting blown out by 38.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT