ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Lindsey to UCF

Reactions: muckdawg24
Anyone know how good of a recruiter he is?
No knowledge of him but it looks like he spent most of his time in the Alabama/Louisiana area so hopefully that is a good thing and can build relationships.
We seem to already have Florida/Georgia pretty well covered with the current staff.

Reactions: Yaes
Pretty solid hire. Anytime you can bring in a former HC, that’s a pretty good get.

He’s a guy with OC & HC experience at the HS level, OC experience in G5 and P5 (Southern Miss, Auburn, Arizona State), and HC experience (Troy). I’m not concerned with the lack of success at Troy, being the head guy is A LOT different than focusing on just one side of the ball.

I still don’t think this changes a whole lot, Gus is absolutely not giving up calling plays at UCF. But with Lindsey, you have a guy who has a lot of familiarity with Malzahn, and can bring more respect/insight/weight when it comes to getting in Malzahn’s ear.

was talking about football experience..as a recruiter who knows but it is difficult to have a good recruiter at every single assistant position
I was talking about not only recruiting but how he gets along with the QBs that come here and advancing their progress.

I love that he is already knowledgeable about the offense. Can focus more on the coaching and less learning the offense.

I would typically want a former QB to be the QB coach. He can teach X and Os to the QB but not sure about mechanics.

My concern would be that the QBs seemed to really like working with Kinne because he was seen more of as a peer mentor (even DG tweeted praise for Kinne when he got that HC job). Chip is older and has a history with Gus, so he may be seen as more of a "yes man" for the head coach. It'll be interesting to see how things play out with recruiting and development as it relates to the QB position.

I trust in Gus. He is and will assemble a competent staff. I had some questions about his playing calling but the more I watched I just think he was trying to be conservative with Mikey. The W against the gators and Auburn having its first losing season since before he left has me believing he is the right guy to build on our entrance to the Big 12. I see him like George O’Leary, frustrating at times, but knows what he is doing and we will win big. Just my thoughts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT