ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel has started

Fedora is gone at UNC. Looks like USC is keeping their coach rumors had them going after Franklin at PSU.:sunglasses:
USC has talent. Just too many mistakes. 5-7 is crazy bad for them. Fedora gambled and lost. So did NC. Bad fit. North Carolina is a basketball school first. It’s a major fail of a job

I heard Texas Tech may open

Looks like we have Heupel for awhile

Can't believe Texas Tech is getting rid of another great coach in Kingsbury. The guy has had 4 Top 25 offenses in 5 seasons, including a 2nd and 5th. Sure, fire the DC, but this is stupid just like firing Leach. He won't be on the market long as a OC with skills.
I thought so too, but we arent TTU fans. 35-40 record. They had hopes i imagined but wow! they dropped five straight to end the season.

I thought so too, but we arent TTU fans. 35-40 record. They had hopes i imagined but wow! they dropped five straight to end the season.
Agree fans have hopes, but four of the losses were against bowl teams and close games, including 3 currently ranked teams. They will be firing a coach with the 12th ranked offense nationally. Plus all the upheaval, player transfers, new coach "buy in". Just hire a new DC, just not Bob Diaco.

Agree fans have hopes, but four of the losses were against bowl teams and close games, including 3 currently ranked teams. They will be firing a coach with the 12th ranked offense nationally. Plus all the upheaval, player transfers, new coach "buy in". Just hire a new DC, just not Bob Diaco.
He coached five years. If you cant get beyond .500 and lose 5 straight to end the year despite who you played, there's nothing wrong with firing him. In their minds, this should be the year they finally get over.

I dont know if hiring a new DC would help Klingsbury designed team. Maybe they couldve went for Shannon. ;)

He coached five years. If you cant get beyond .500 and lose 5 straight to end the year despite who you played, there's nothing wrong with firing him. In their minds, this should be the year they finally get over.
Big fan of Kingsbury as a TT QB and coach. He has 22 recruits waiting to sign. This move will be a train wreck of epic proportions driven by shortsighted boosters. Happens all the time. IMO

Big fan of Kingsbury as a TT QB and coach. He has 22 recruits waiting to sign. This move will be a train wreck of epic proportions driven by shortsighted boosters. Happens all the time. IMO
Yeah there's article about recruits unhappy about Fedora's firing too. He was there six years. Whatever your opinion is about the five to six year rule, at least theyre consistent.

Not trying to change the subject, but dose Bob Diaco still have the civil conflict trophy?

Yeah, Kingsbury was rushed to be HC too quickly. He’ll get a big job as OC and return as a HC one day.

Frost couldn't wait one more year so UCF could get Kliff smh
Needed to pluck Kingsbury when he was a assistant at Houston. Could have gotten Lincoln Riley as well from ECU. Still happy with Heupel. He's a air raid guy taught by Leach, same as Kingsbury. He just didn't have time to completely change to the raid in the off season. There's a reason he went after Brock Purdy hard last year.

Needed to pluck Kingsbury when he was a assistant at Houston. Could have gotten Lincoln Riley as well from ECU. Still happy with Heupel. He's a air raid guy taught by Leach, same as Kingsbury. He just didn't have time to completely change to the raid in the off season. There's a reason he went after Brock Purdy hard last year.
I think KK would kill recruiting at UCF. I listened to a podcast with Manziel and him recently talking about their time at Tamu together and some of the stories were great haha. I also just think he's an offensive genius, they had to play like 3 different QB's this season just hard to win like that.

I think it’s a dumb move. TTU will always be a middle of the pack program in the Big 12. Some of these Big 12 programs don’t know their place. I love UCF but I don’t try to pretend that we have the history, winning and tradition of UF or FSU.

But I do believe that right now UCF is a middle of the pack major conference program. With an additional $35 million a year in TV revenue with 3 to 4 years we could compete annually for conference championships in every major conference except the SEC. The SEC would take longer and we would have inconsistent winning.

I think it’s a dumb move. TTU will always be a middle of the pack program in the Big 12. Some of these Big 12 programs don’t know their place. I love UCF but I don’t try to pretend that we have the history, winning and tradition of UF or FSU.

But I do believe that right now UCF is a middle of the pack major conference program. With an additional $35 million a year in TV revenue with 3 to 4 years we could compete annually for conference championships in every major conference except the SEC. The SEC would take longer and we would have inconsistent winning.
Would be nice to be in a autonomy conference, but not necessary to be competitive. What is necessary is more money for the AAC in this next contract. If the AAC can get 20M per team then AAC programs won't need the autonomy conferences blessing to compete at high level. Much is riding on this next ESPN/Amazon/Facebook deal.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I think KK would kill recruiting at UCF. I listened to a podcast with Manziel and him recently talking about their time at Tamu together and some of the stories were great haha. I also just think he's an offensive genius, they had to play like 3 different QB's this season just hard to win like that.

You know who's not a genius, Texas Tech's AD. He just fired the hottest commodity in college/pro football.

Kingsbury to UNC.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article222170245.html

Kingsbury to Texans

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/26/thompsons-topics-kliff-kingsbury-perfect-fit-texans-oc/

Kingsbury to Cowboys.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...boys-scott-linehan-jason-garrett-dak-prescott

This is the same guy who was picking college invitational teams a couple years ago.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
This is the same guy who was picking college invitational teams a couple years ago.
Yep, and now his boosters want Mike Leach back. Leach says no way, but you never know with him. He's going to want Jimbo Fisher numbers for that to happen. They could get former TT QB, and current North Texas OC Graham Harrell for a bargain price right now, but the trend is toward older coaches so I'm predicting Barry Switzer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...exas-tech-return-after-kliff-kingsbury-firing

Last edited:
Paul Johnson "retired" at Ga Tech. Loved watching his flexbone offense beat much more talent laden teams. Boosters wanted a Clemson offense and they are going after their OC. Problem is GT has super high academic standards and most players don't qualify. With Johnson's scheme GT could be competitive with smaller, mostly 3 star players, and occasionally win the ACC Coastal. Ga Tech without the option will look like Rice trying to beat Clemson. I believe a smart AD from a academic school who's tired of losing will hire Paul Johnson before they lose their job. I'm looking at you Rice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
Paul Johnson "retired" at Ga Tech. Loved watching his flexbone offense beat much more talent laden teams. Boosters wanted a Clemson offense and they are going after their OC. Problem is GT has super high academic standards and most players don't qualify. With Johnson's scheme GT could be competitive with smaller, mostly 3 star players, and occasionally win the ACC Coastal. Ga Tech without the option will look like Rice trying to beat Clemson. I believe a smart AD from a academic school who's tired of losing will hire Paul Johnson before they lose their job. I'm looking at you Rice.
Anyone recall if GOL and Bobby Ross run the flexbone when coaching there?

I don't buy that recruiting argument. Paul Johnson is one of the most boring humans on earth and runs an offensive relic of a system. No 18 year old would be excited to play for him. I think the academic argument is just an excuse. There are a lot of good academic schools that have a decent football program.

I live 20 minutes from GT and hardly ever hear anything about that program. PJ made that program as boring as he is. Stansbury will probably hire someone as old and. boring as PJ when he needs to chase Norvelle.

Disagree that the triple option is a BS offense. In fact Tulane, another academic school, beat the breaks off Memphis 40-24 rushing for 318 yards, with 4 rushing TD's using it. Heupel would be wise to incorporate it into his game plan. IMO.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...georgia-tech-decision/IAUW5EqncN5RcuxvDEUFxI/

Any form of option football is advantageous. Whether its what GT and Navy have been doing, or what Frost and Kelly do, it puts a lot of stress on the defense.

Reactions: JAFFX2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT