ADVERTISEMENT

Come back to UCF, Coach. We'll kick that dopey moron Gus Malzhan to the curb.

Vote for Rusty in 2022

Bronze Knight
Silver Member
Dec 28, 2021
scott-frost.jpg

I really don't understand this. Strikes me as emotionally-biased/Nostalgia-induced.

Frost is literally being fired because he sucked at calling offense and failed to score points to win. That is THE reason he is being fired.

Comparing body of work game for game?

At this point, week 3 of Frost's second season he was 8-7 at UCF.

Gus is 10-5.

The math is indicative of there being no comparison.

I really don't understand this. Strikes me as emotionally-biased/Nostalgia-induced.

Frost is literally being fired because he sucked at calling offense and failed to score points to win. That is THE reason he is being fired.

Comparing body of work game for game?

At this point, week 3 of Frost's second season he was 8-7 at UCF.

Gus is 10-5.

The math is indicative of there being no comparison.
I just want to win, brother. I hate losing. To me, losing is a sin.

Reactions: mr. knightman
I just want to win, brother. I hate losing. To me, losing is a sin.
Don't let one early-season loss get in the way of rationality. I use 2013's loss to South Carolina as example. Many games were on the line until the last couple of plays that year, "Cardiac Knights" they were called.

Many games came close to slipping away in 2017 under Frost. Memphis, USF, a few others came close.

He couldn't manage those same scenarios at Nebraska...had 4 years to right the ship also.

Frost did a lot of losing over 4 years, because of his offense specifically, even though he still recruited Florida....

Regarding UCF and WINNING:

What if Louisville runs the rest of the ACC or gets to the ACC Champ game? Syracuse wins 8-10 games also?

What if UCF adjusts JUST like Louisville and throttles FAU? (I still think this is probable)

What if what if what if...it's too early to have any rational comparison. Look at the rest of the field and who lost this weekend. Parity seems to be quite apparent now as well which will make these comparisons even more difficult.

Don't let one early-season loss get in the way of rationality. I use 2013's loss to South Carolina as example. Many games were on the line until the last couple of plays that year, "Cardiac Knights" they were called.

Many games came close to slipping away in 2017 under Frost. Memphis, USF, a few others came close.

He couldn't manage those same scenarios at Nebraska...had 4 years to right the ship also.

Frost did a lot of losing over 4 years, because of his offense specifically, even though he still recruited Florida....

What if Louisville runs the rest of the ACC or gets to the ACC Champ game? Syracuse wins 8-10 games also?

What if UCF adjusts JUST like Louisville and throttles FAU? (I still think this is probable)

What if what if what if...it's too early to have any rational comparison. Look at the rest of the field and who lost this weekend. Parity seems to be quite apparent now as well which will make these comparisons even more difficult.
Exactly.

The Louisville loss is just a bump in the road to the New Year's Six for Gus and Co. It takes Gus a game or two to figure everything out before he starts mauling people. So there was a minor hiccup. Big deal. Everyone keeps comparing JRP to Nick Marshall and that vaulted 2013 Auburn offensive juggernaut. Gus had an early loss to LSU before reeling off victory after victory en route to the national championship game. The Louisville setback only builds more confidence that an AAC title is a certainty.

UCF is right on track (ahead of schedule).

I just don't want to see us end up as a loser in the B12 is all. After everything we've been through all these years to fight and scratch and claw from 1979 onwards....

I've been "around" the program as a fan since the early 80's. I remember Darren Slack and the 1984 OJ Simpson fundraiser that helped the program from shutting down (Yes, the football program could have shut down in the mid-80's due to being over one million in debt).

For me it just seems like we can't adapt to the adjustments the other teams make at halftime. We ran the qb a lot, and so the opponent started showing a lot of confusing looks at the line.

How many drives have to 3-and-out in the second half before we call something new?

Its been the same story every big game in 21-22. We come out hot, then cool off when the opponent figures it out, and we really never get it back.

I just don't want to see us end up as a loser in the B12 is all. After everything we've been through all these years to fight and scratch and claw from 1979 onwards....

I've been "around" the program as a fan since the early 80's. I remember Darren Slack and the 1984 OJ Simpson fundraiser that helped the program from shutting down (Yes, the football program could have shut down in the mid-80's due to being over one million in debt).
3 words will prevent UCF from being a Loser in the Big 12, and those 3 words arguably give UCF one of the biggest advantages in the Big12...and were largely WHY...UCF is in the Big 12.

They are:

Location, location, Location.

Has UCF been a loser in the AAC? Nope. Not really. Arguably led to its top-to-bottom improvement.
CUSA? I don't see it. If anything helped improve it.
MAC? mebbe....who cares?
Before then? UCF was indy...

Reactions: Willie Knightime
Yep and Frost committed a lot of sins in Nebraska besides screwing us over when he quit on UCF.....he needs to go to a 2nd tier school for a stretch to prove he can win and win/has some integrity
Frost also had some NCAA infractions in regards to being where he shouldn't be...

And some reports of dabbing in clubs after hours...(I can really care less about this to be honest, he did live in Oregon for a bit)

Exactly.

The Louisville loss is just a bump in the road to the New Year's Six for Gus and Co. It takes Gus a game or two to figure everything out before he starts mauling people. So there was a minor hiccup. Big deal. Everyone keeps comparing JRP to Nick Marshall and that vaulted 2013 Auburn offensive juggernaut. Gus had an early loss to LSU before reeling off victory after victory en route to the national championship game. The Louisville setback only builds more confidence that an AAC title is a certainty.

UCF is right on track (ahead of schedule).
Exactly. People need to chill. Most people expected a couple of losses and this was likely to be one of them. I know it was disappointing because Louisville looked bad in both games, but people need to relax.

Whats the difference if he lived in Oregon? I never have and used to smoke. Weed is everywhere.

Exactly. People need to chill. Most people expected a couple of losses and this was likely to be one of them. I know it was disappointing because Louisville looked bad in both games, but people need to relax.
People were saying undefeated. A lot more were saying 1 loss and UL was not the one. I said game day threads and immediately after our first loss people were going to go crazy and want people fired and replaced. Here we are.

Whats the difference if he lived in Oregon? I never have and used to smoke. Weed is everywhere.
That was supposed to be a joke. Apparently a bad one. But Oregon is one of the "origin" states for legalization for recreation when he was there.

Legalize the stuff and tax it, we can learn from the error of prohibition-era. Moving on...

Everyone tries to be Nostradamus. Myself included. Why? It's fun and it's ok.
It leads to unreal expectations. JRP went from savior to a RB that cant throw almost overnight. Gus isnt getting fired and JRP will get some more starts. Lets hope the passing game gets better.

I don't even blame JRP. He was running for his life. I felt like on some of those misses the receiver wasn't where he expected them to be. Do we do anything receiver-wise based on whether blitz is being shown? If so, the way the UL d-line was moving around, it'd be easy to not be on the same page.

Anyway I still don't blame the players. They weren't put in a position to win in the 2nd half. Plays should have been called which negated the blitz. Maybe it doesn't work. It just didn't look like we tried anything new.

It leads to unreal expectations. JRP went from savior to a RB that cant throw almost overnight. Gus isnt getting fired and JRP will get some more starts. Lets hope the passing game gets better.
Eh, expectations are in the same boat as opinion. As long as people know to adjust them once learning new detail. That's fine.

Even if they don't, that's fine also...only their expectations and emotions they would have to check.

I guess being an alumni (c/o 2000) and a fan since Culpepper conditioned me for these things. I often find myself, one whole spends a LOT of time looking at math, rosters, injuries, etc...often talking others off a proverbial ledge.

I straight up got hate messages about one of the sims I did from someone on this board, won't say whom.... Those type of people are f*cking nutbars, and I question their sanity and ability to cope with real immediate life letdowns. Becoming more and more common as of late; people that treat college sports as some sort of gang affiliation.

I love frost. He was a great coach for us. When he went ti nebraska i said that he would fail because he wouldnt get his speedy recruits to go to lincoln. I was right. His schemes are great when he has the right people. Id take hin as OC any day

Reactions: U C to the F
Eh, expectations are in the same boat as opinion. As long as people know to adjust them once learning new detail. That's fine.

Even if they don't, that's fine also...only their expectations and emotions they would have to check.

I guess being an alumni (c/o 2000) and a fan since Culpepper conditioned me for these things. I often find myself, one whole spends a LOT of time looking at math, rosters, injuries, etc...often talking others off a proverbial ledge.

I straight up got hate messages about one of the sims I did from someone on this board, won't say whom.... Those type of people are f*cking nutbars, and I question their sanity and ability to cope with real immediate life letdowns. Becoming more and more common as of late; people that treat college sports as some sort of gang affiliation.
We got spoiled for 2 years when we didn't lose. KZ was a magician and just kept winning! So we UCF fans kept believing that we couldn't lose. Then when it happened, we didn't know how to behave.

We got spoiled for 2 years when we didn't lose. KZ was a magician and just kept winning! So we UCF fans kept believing that we couldn't lose. Then when it happened, we didn't know how to behave.

No. For me its not about losing. I can watch my team get beat. I watched the orange Buccaneers for years. It's about seeing your players not being put in a position to succeed.

You know what else I've been thinking about... Remember at the pep rally after the first fiesta bowl, GOL said that we were the least injured team in the AAC and recognised the strength and conditioning coach for it. We've had a lot of injuries the last couple years. Is it related or are these just fluke plays?

No. For me its not about losing. I can watch my team get beat. I watched the orange Buccaneers for years. It's about seeing your players not being put in a position to succeed.

You know what else I've been thinking about... Remember at the pep rally after the first fiesta bowl, GOL said that we were the least injured team in the AAC and recognised the strength and conditioning coach for it. We've had a lot of injuries the last couple years. Is it related or are these just fluke plays?
The problem has been discipline and player penalties. Last game being perfect example. Don't have to look far to determine impact.

The problem has been discipline and player penalties. Last game being perfect example. Don't have to look far to determine impact.
That was part of Josh Heupel's problem at the end: he lost control of the team when it came to discipline and many players were out of control.

If we had Bama $ he would become our "assistant to the head Coach". He would plan our offense for 2 or 3 games a year and use that time to prove himself and audition for another OC or HC job.

3 words will prevent UCF from being a Loser in the Big 12, and those 3 words arguably give UCF one of the biggest advantages in the Big12...and were largely WHY...UCF is in the Big 12.

They are:

Location, location, Location.

Has UCF been a loser in the AAC? Nope. Not really. Arguably led to its top-to-bottom improvement.
CUSA? I don't see it. If anything helped improve it.
MAC? mebbe....who cares?
Before then? UCF was indy...
University of Miami says hi .. they have the best location in the ACC and where had that gotten them... how many sea tugs has that netted them ... they haven't even sniffed a small center console...not one ship...

Has UCF been a loser in the ACC - umm we went winless in the ACC.

Look I want Malzhan to succeed but there is no question that Navy, SMU and the win at USF coupled with two losses against a mediocre loserville team are cause for concern.

University of Miami says hi .. they have the best location in the ACC and where had that gotten them... how many sea tugs has that netted them ... they haven't even sniffed a small center console...not one ship...

Has UCF been a loser in the ACC - umm we went winless in the ACC.

Look I want Malzhan to succeed but there is no question that Navy, SMU and the win at USF coupled with two losses against a mediocre loserville team are cause for concern.
Forgetting the OCS part, very critical in comparison. I did too.

I love KZ but have to ask, "was Nebraska lucky to have Frost?"

Frost went for more money and a homecoming. He received both. But clearly Nebraska in the BIG was not a better on-the-field future than UCF coming off a co-national championship.

Given that, for a multitude of reasons, NE has little if any chance to compete with the OH States, Michs, Wis, Iowa and Penn States, etc for a conference championship in our lifetime, the result was highly foreseeable: More money in exchange for a tarnished reputation. Be careful what you ask for.

Interesting how they only figured out that the stadium was off campus in 2004 and started being bad because of it.
The Orange Bowl was off campus but a lot closer than the Dolphins Stadium. And it fit their identity as a Program.

The Coaches and Players created these expectations. So when you have a very weak strength of schedule and OOC matchups where most of the key matchups are at Home and you fail your first D1 test they deserve some pushback from fans. They were talking like another 2017 was on the way

Interesting how they only figured out that the stadium was off campus in 2004 and started being bad because of it.
My opinion is it has more to do with other programs having built them, having an on campus gameday atmosphere which is compounding Miami's struggles to compete. That's why they are trying to build one somewhat close to campus in that park.

Miami recruits well, they have 4-5 players drafted into the NFL each year (No recruiting rankings bias if they are getting drafted). But gameday experience is the issue as oppose to Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Manny Diaz?

Having the right coach absolutely matters.

Players have admitted that a real home field advantage gives them a boost. Yes coaching and talent matters but you can’t discount playing in front of 20k fans for over half their games has been bad for their Program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT